Winter Olympics 2010 Vancouver

Nearco

youth team player
These Olympics have been dire thus far, and yes I agree mehro, the Summer Olympics are far better. Part of that is I swam for 17 years so I have extra interest in the swimming, and their program is huge in the Olympics. I also love the track events too. As it is the older I get the less the shine Olympics have for me in general I reckon I will enjoy the hockey as it goes, but other than that I am not really invested in anything that is happening. I do understand how the northern Europeans are interested in these games more than the summer ones, but yeah I think in general that most people enjoy the summer games more.
Summer:
Swimming
Track
Gymnastics

Winter:
Skiing (Alpine and Nordic)
Hockey

The rest is all balls.

Iron Stove

We don't have any culture for it. I've wondered why many times.

In Sweden every city with more than 10 000 people probably has an ice rink (is it called rink?). In Norway only a few have it. I wanted to play when I was a kid, but the nearest team was over an hour away. And I come from a city, so there really was no chance.
There are 30 hockey rinks in Norway. It's a feat that we're qualified for the Olympics at all.
Yes there is certainly the rink aspect, but I can't quite understand why you rich bastards wouldn't construct rinks in the first place. It's quite puzzling really given the sports popularity in the area.

Yanks win over the Swiss in the first game, no shocks there. Will try to stay up for Canada - Norway which will quite obviously be a blow-out.

Iron Stove

Apparently these are Sweden's lines for the first game against Germany tomorrow.

Daniel Sedin– Henrik Sedin – Mattias Weinhandl
Mattias Öhlund – Tobias Enström

Peter Forsberg – Henrik Zetterberg – Patrik Hörnqvist
Nicklas Lidström – Nicklas Kronwall

Loui Eriksson – Nicklas Bäckström – Daniel Alfredsson
Henrik Tallinder – Magnus Johansson (GTFO)

Johan Franzén – Samuel Påhlsson – Fredrik Modin
Douglas Murray – Johnny Oduya

Henrik Lundqvist
Stefan Liv
Jonas Gustavsson

I kind of like the idea of going for depth, but the first line looks like the second or even third best and I'm really hoping Franzén won't spend the whole tournament on the fourth line. Switch with Horny, please.
Also, there is no way Magnus Johansson deserves that spot ahead of Murray or Oduya. He's a nice PP guy, but way to soft. This isn't the EHT.
Furthermore I hope Lidström - Kronner will be the top pairing, which is an obvious call.

kikks

Despite being 7-0 down to Canada, I think Norway has done quite well. Which sounds ridiculous, obviously, but I think they've battled well and been unlucky and/or slightly clumsy in front of the goal a couple of times. A couple of the goals were given away a bit too easily as well. And the refs are dishing out fouls for touching the Canadians, whereas they don't even get sent off for tackling at head-height. Got better after they got their two-goal advantage. But the Canadians are about 100 times better than Norway, so I doubt it would have made much of a difference.

Helene Olafsen fell in the boardercross final, the curling team got beat by 7-6 by Canada, Hegle Svendsen and Bjørndalen fecked up and Super-G was postponed. Great day for Norway :| Good on the swedes, though. Ferry is a great guy, funny fecker too. Fully deserves his medal! Kalla dominated the 10 km. You swedes must be grinning from ear to ear? Looks like I'll have to root for you tossers in the hockey finals ;) Can't really see Norway getting anything from a group consisting of Canada, USA and Switzerland.

Wittmann45

I have not watched a lot of Curling in my life, but Canada's captain (don't know if that is what it is called, he is the older, balding guy) is pretty spectacular at what he does.

Also, can't wait to see Forsberg play again. It was a pleasure watching him play his best hockey with Colorado, and even though I am Canadian, I hope he can show the world again why he is one of the best of his generation.

Alex

Yeah I love Forsberg hopefully he still has some still left in the tank

Iron Stove

Forsberg has done quite well in the SEL. Watched him recently and it looked like he wasn't in top shape, but he was playing his typical game. Made some amazing passes, was pissed off and hit anything that moved. Err... that came out wrong.

I think the Forsberg-Zetterberg-Hörnqvist line will be fun to watch. Can't wait for tonight's game.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Sprint soon it should be fun don't you agree Elliott?;)

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Snowboard cross has been excellent and I laughed out loud when that American bint fell over in the final.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Another nasty example of disregard for athlete safety as Slovenian cross country ace Petra Majdic misses a curve and falls 3 meters. Put up a net ffs.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
I may be watching the women's downhill competition with my sexist glasses on but are the females a lot more vertical in their approach than the men who seems to dive more headfirst into it? I just glanced up and immediately thought the woman racing was already disqualified and couldn't be bothered. I was wrong.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I'm already looking forward to Anja Pärsons excuses

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
I can see a lot of people having trouble beating Mancuso's time. She really went at it, riding a lot more aggressive than the rest of the racers so far. Seeded group still to come though.

Anja Pärsson looks like a meatball :lol:

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I knew it. Pärson is a bottler hope she is alright though

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I just saw Petra Majdic's fall. What the hell were they thinking not putting up a net there?? Disgraceful.
Yeah, there better be a net there when the QFs start and the fight for positions is on. If not it could get ugly.