Winter Olympics 2022

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why were these games not postponed as the summer ones were?

It's looking like a farce now as athlete after athlete get put in quarantine even after multiple negative tests (see case of Kim Meylemans).

Whilst I understand the Olympics are the pinnacle of many athlete's careers, I can't help but think that these games were the ones to not go to given the current world situation. It seems foolish to not have considered what would happen to so many, those coming from Europe especially where Omicron is rife.

I have the least interest ever in these games and what's the betting the home nation tops the medal table after a fortnight?

choccy77

Been watching this today, can't wait for everything to really kick off.

Wilt

Of the two Olympics, much prefer Winter Olympics.

Love the speed skating events.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So far we’ve lost 4 of our more or less guaranteed golds to covid in recent days. Will be hard to defend our title from 2018 at this stage.

RedDevilQuebecois

Generic choice of classical music pieces for the athletes' entrance. We are such a far cry from the live medley of video game music (the list is still here) that we had for the opening ceremony in Tokyo.

edit: This piece was my favorite by far back then.

Last edited:

Blackwidow

Why were these games not postponed as the summer ones were?

It's looking like a farce now as athlete after athlete get put in quarantine even after multiple negative tests (see case of Kim Meylemans).

Whilst I understand the Olympics are the pinnacle of many athlete's careers, I can't help but think that these games were the ones to not go to given the current world situation. It seems foolish to not have considered what would happen to so many, those coming from Europe especially where Omicron is rife.

I have the least interest ever in these games and what's the betting the home nation tops the medal table after a fortnight?
I switched from the German public TV to Eurosport because they had in every sentence the critics about China as host. I want the critical approach in the surrounding of the sports event - especially if they do not only talk about human rights but about how countries, politics and economy are connected - but the sport itself I want to have without critical commentary in every sentence... (too much is too much)

A lot of the athletes need the Olympics to get the publicity they need to finance their living and the expenses for their sports. Most of the winter sport athletes are combining job (often not 100% and military, border patrol etc. are often their employer) - but e.g. a bob crew needs more than 150.000 EUR each year for other expenses - material, travelling etc. They need sponsors and their sponsors need the publicity of this big events as they have a lot more viewers with Olympia then elsewhen even if e.g. we have a lot winter sport broadcasted in TV in Germany.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I’m really looking forward to seeing the men’s downhill 5,000m luge for re-conditioned Uyghurs

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
which guaranteed golds, if you could elaborate?
Nordic combined for men (Rieber), probably the biggest favorite at the games. Tested positive two days ago. 3 certain golds down the drain. Also Kruger who was a massive favorite on cross country duathlon and 50 km (at least he has an outside chance of being back for the 50 km). He misses the relay too which weakens our team significantally.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's hard to understand the scoring in the freestyle skiing. All the top scorers did quick runs with fairly basic flips. Anyone doing anything more fancy seemed to get marked down.

Skåre Willoch

Nordic combined for men (Rieber), probably the biggest favorite at the games. Tested positive two days ago. 3 certain golds down the drain. Also Kruger who was a massive favorite on cross country duathlon and 50 km (at least he has an outside chance of being back for the 50 km). He misses the relay too which weakens our team significantally.
There is hope for Riiber to make the last two events (big hill and relay), I think. The same for Krüger, the 50k is still hopeful!

Still, it sucks. Riiber has been the most dominant winter sport athlete for the past two and a half years.

RedDevilQuebecois

Disqualifying Russia for impeding the relay at the Olympic Short Track Speed Skating Mixed Relay event, I get that. But where the feck was the penalty against the US? The end result was a free spot for China in the final when they trailed most of the way behind Hungary and the US during the semi-final. I don't want to jump into sports conspiracy theories, but that looked rigged AF.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

Nothing will ever beat long track speed skating if people have to compare between 2 styles of speed skating. I'm not here to watch chaos if I have to find out who are the faster skaters; long track is all about pure power and stamina on top of elegance in the art of skating to win races.

Last edited:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Of the two Olympics, much prefer Winter Olympics.

Love the speed skating events.
It's strange that so few in the UK watch the winter olympics, i understand they don't have as much snow and ice, and there's no culture for it, but as you say, the sports they compete in is MUCH more entertaining to watch.
As impressive as much in the summer is, watching someone run 100m in less than 10 seconds, isn't really very fun... sure, it's impressive, but in most cases you know who will win after 3 of those 9 seconds :lol:
Alpine, ski jumping, biathlon, relays, snowboard events... there's so much fun shit to watch!

The biathlon mixed relay today was amazing, atleast as a Norwegian :)

Wilt

It's strange that so few in the UK watch the winter olympics, i understand they don't have as much snow and ice, and there's no culture for it, but as you say, the sports they compete in is MUCH more entertaining to watch.
As impressive as much in the summer is, watching someone run 100m in less than 10 seconds, isn't really very fun... sure, it's impressive, but in most cases you know who will win after 3 of those 9 seconds :lol:
Alpine, ski jumping, biathlon, relays, snowboard events... there's so much fun shit to watch!

The biathlon mixed relay today was amazing, atleast as a Norwegian :)
I like all the events, especially short track. The Ice hockey is good for a punch up and the Skiing events are amazing. If you like thrilling sport the Winter Olympics is a must.

As Norway have been known to win one or two medals, it’s understandable you enjoy it ;)

Alemar

Rieber perhaps, have to agree. but Kruger…. Both Bolshunov and Klebo have bigger chances for sure, Kruger or no Kruger.

Skåre Willoch

Rieber perhaps, have to agree. but Kruger…. Both Bolshunov and Klebo have bigger chances for sure, Kruger or no Kruger.
On the 50k and duathlon? He definitely would’ve been one of, if not the biggest favorite. He’s a beast in high altitudes, as well as tough courses with suboptimal conditions.Technically brilliant and lightweight. All of his teammates and coaches had him as a favorite for gold on both those distances.

I don’t say he’s a shoe in for gold, nobody is. But sadly he won’t even get a chance to defend his gold in the duathlon from Peyongchang, where he was more of a surprise winner. Without him, I agree it’s Bolshunov and Klæbo as massive favorites, with Holund as the underdog.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The short track speedskating relay is chaotic, with so many people on the ice. Entertaining, but impossible to overtake except on the changeovers which are a bit of a free for all.

Alemar

All of his teammates and coaches had him as a favorite for gold on both those distances.
But it would be strange if Norway coaches had Bolshunov as favourite. The reality, however, is that it is actually the case :)