Winter Olympics 2022

Alemar

Iivo Niskanen won gold, Bolshunov and Klaebo 2nd and 3rd

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I would happily trade my wife and child for Suzanne Schulting.

This may sound sexist, but there you go.

Skåre Willoch

Great day coming up tomorrow! Women’s cross country relay, men’s biathlon sprint and the big hill ski jump. Not so bold gold predictions are Sweden to win the relay, Thingnes Bø to win the biathlon, and Kobayashi to win the ski jump.

Skåre Willoch

I wonder if they're deliberately scheduling the cross country and biathlon when Norwegians (and I guess other Europeans) might have gotten up.
Of course they are. Biathlon for example is huge in Germany, and there's really no reason to not cater to the TV viewing audiences as best they can. I reckon they'd do it for the alpine events as well, if it weren't for the fact they have to be completed in daylight (at least the faster diciplines like downhill and super-G).

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Love to see Tarjei Bø getting medal too!
We're so used to seeing Johannes winning or getting medals, so it kind of feels more nice when the big brother wins too.
They seem like very nice guys aswell, which i guess was a given since they are from the same area as me, and we're all really nice :lol:

Last edited:

Skåre Willoch

Love to see Tarjei Bø getting medal too!
We're so used to seeing Johannes winning or getting medals, so it kind of feels more nice when the big brother wins too.
They seem like very nice guys aswell, which i guess was given since they are from the same area as me, and we'll all really nice :lol:
Buzzing for Tarjei! His first individual Olympic medal I think, after all he’s been through. Thoroughly deserved! Get in!!

nimic

something nice
Scout
What a disaster by Iversen, it's a scandal that he managed to whine himself into a competition he's clearly not fit to participate in. He's tanked the entire team.

Skåre Willoch

What a disaster by Iversen, it's a scandal that he managed to whine himself into a competition he's clearly not fit to participate in. He's tanked the entire team.
Yeah, it’s outrageous. Unbelievable decision.

Alemar

What a great relay by Russians, very impressive. Happy for Ustuygov, he deserved this medal

nimic

something nice
Scout
Who would have made any difference?
Might not have made a difference in the end, since the Russians were so strong and we got the silver, but there was every reason to expect that Iversen wouldn't do a good job. He hadn't participated at all so far, and had made a stink about publicly. We've done this before, putting people in the relay who haven't participated in the same games earlier, and it hasn't worked. Valnes hasn't been amazing, but he's been better.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Great pursuit by the women. What a performance by Eckhoff to manage the bronze, not to mention Røiseland for the gold. Sad about Tandrevold, though.

massi83

Might not have made a difference in the end, since the Russians were so strong and we got the silver, but there was every reason to expect that Iversen wouldn't do a good job. He hadn't participated at all so far, and had made a stink about publicly. We've done this before, putting people in the relay who haven't participated in the same games earlier, and it hasn't worked. Valnes hasn't been amazing, but he's been better.
No reason to think that Valnes would have stayed close to Chervotkin. So at best 5-10secs better. Or he could have done much worse also.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
curling is easily the best of the winter olympic sports.

nimic

something nice
Scout
No reason to think that Valnes would have stayed close to Chervotkin. So at best 5-10secs better. Or he could have done much worse also.
But if we're 5-10 secs closer, it might make a difference for the gameplan. It's not just every individual and their speed. Starting with our least in-form guy is just a bad decision no matter how you consider it. In any case, there might not be any reason to think he would have stayed close, but there's basically no way he could have done "much worse", or even worse. Iversen was basically struggling to keep up with a bunch of sprinters.

massi83

But if we're 5-10 secs closer, it might make a difference for the gameplan. It's not just every individual and their speed. Starting with our least in-form guy is just a bad decision no matter how you consider it. In any case, there might not be any reason to think he would have stayed close, but there's basically no way he could have done "much worse", or even worse. Iversen was basically struggling to keep up with a bunch of sprinters.
Very minimal chance and much bigger chance that Valnes would have done worse. And of course you put your worst one on first leg, when the group is together, at least at the beginning. Valnes lost 1 minute on 15k, no reason to think he loses less than 25s on 10k. So many things happen in relay that complaining that someone could do 5-10 secs better is futile.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Very minimal chance and much bigger chance that Valnes would have done worse. And of course you put your worst one on first leg, when the group is together, at least at the beginning. Valnes lost 1 minute on 15k, no reason to think he loses less than 25s on 10k. So many things happen in relay that complaining that someone could do 5-10 secs better is futile.
It's not futile, it's a big mistake by the people in charge whether or not it changed the result. And what's worse, it's a mistake they've now done several times. And it's not like this is just sour grapes after the fact, this was a concern that was voiced by many (including the expert commentators) in advance. As for the 5-10 seconds, that's what you said, that's not what I said. You've somehow arbitrarily decided that it would have been only 5-10 seconds closer at best, and much worse at worst.

massi83

It's not futile, it's a big mistake by the people in charge whether or not it changed the result. And what's worse, it's a mistake they've now done several times. And it's not like this is just sour grapes after the fact, this was a concern that was voiced by many (including the expert commentators) in advance. As for the 5-10 seconds, that's what you said, that's not what I said. You've somehow arbitrarily decided that it would have been only 5-10 seconds closer at best, and much worse at worst.
Valnes lost 75s on 15k, why would he lose less than 20s on 10k?

massi83

Great argument. What's your point?

Use your words.
Kläbo gave up, to use that time difference as evidence of anything obviously didn't deserve another kind of a response, also he was 3rd on 15k. Also Norway's preparation was terrible and it showed on first race. Valnes has done absolutely nothing to think he would stay with Chervotkin.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I've been trying to watch the short track speed skating. They've spent 10 minutes disputing the result. It's not nail biting or exciting, it's just fecking boring.

Let's see some action, not all these judging decisions.

Most of these sports no one gives a flying feck about normally, you have to make it interesting if you want people to continue watching. Especially since there are no Brits involved in anything.

massi83

:houllier:

Thanks, it works pretty well!

I think we'll leave it there. We can reconsider after the Olympics are over and the results are in.
You have given zero arguments why Valnes would stay with Chervotkin. You are the one who is moaning for the sake of moaning.

Alemar

Only Holund won vs his opponent, and it was just 15 sec. all the other 3 Norway guys each lost 25-35 seconds, and Klaebo lost 25 despite Ustuygov celebrating on track and taking a flag.

It’s strange you try to put the blame on Iversen - Norway was just worse today, end of

Grylte

Only Holund won vs his opponent, and it was just 15 sec. all the other 3 Norway guys each lost 25-35 seconds, and Klaebo lost 25 despite Ustuygov celebrating on track and taking a flag.

It’s strange you try to put the blame on Iversen - Norway was just worse today, end of
Klæbo knew he wouldn't get 1st so he saved it for the fight about silver, had he been 30 seconds behind 1st, he might have gone for it. The difference would atleast be much smaller.

Alemar

Klæbo knew he wouldn't get 1st so he saved it for the fight about silver, had he been 30 seconds behind 1st, he might have gone for it.
Niskanen started his leg 1min.47sec behind and won 38 seconds (off Bolshunov) - despite all this being absolutely in vain. Klaebo also must have died on track giving his 110 or 120% (even if it wouldn’t have been enough), but he didn’t even try.

I understand when he saves himself in individual competitions, but for the team it shouldn’t happen, just shouldn’t

Grylte

Niskanen started his leg 1min.47sec behind and won 38 seconds (off Bolshunov) - despite all this being absolutely in vain. Klaebo also must have died on track giving his 110 or 120% (even if it wouldn’t have been enough), but he didn’t even try.

I understand when he saves himself in individual competitions, but for the team it shouldn’t happen, just shouldn’t
Klæbo didn't give 110-120%, first of all, that's not possible and just sounds stupid, and he didn't save himself for individual competition, he saved himself to win the silver cause gold was out of reach anyway.
If he give his all to catch Bolshunov, he risk being tired at the end and finish 3rd. By the way, he doesn't make the decisions alone, it was either decided before his leg started or the coaches that stand along the track told him to play safe and focus on silver

Alemar

Klæbo didn't give 110-120%, first of all, that's not possible and just sounds stupid, and he didn't save himself for individual competition, he saved himself to win the silver cause gold was out of reach anyway.
If he give his all to catch Bolshunov, he risk being tired at the end and finish 3rd. By the way, he doesn't make the decisions alone, it was either decided before his leg started or the coaches that stand along the track told him to play safe and focus on silver
There was never any fight for silver - Klaebo would have beaten Manificat even on one leg.

There is a difference between him and Peter Northug - the latter always gave his all for the team, always tried to at least shorten the gap. Klaebo doesn’t.