World XI in 5 years from now?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not a given unlike Dembele? Messi's work rate has always been very poor compared to other players. For years he's been clocking under 10km per game which is on average about 2km less than other players.

Even though he declines he'll still be a better player than probably every other player mentioned in this thread.
I think I was clear enough. I doubt that he intends to play on a highest level at that stage. If he wants, he can play until 40 and still contribute.

His workrate was much better and he was a part of Pep's ultimate pressing system. Its decline isn't the reason behind his hypothetical absence in the World XI but rather a symptom that allows me to assume that he can retire/quit highly competitive football early

paulscholes18

donnarumma
Rugani Bailly Gimenez
Soul Verratti Pogba Alaba
Griezmann
Dybala Neymar

Righteous Steps

Pogba has already been in the world 11 and will only get better. Veratti is class but if he stays at PSG then itll be tough for him. Also with weigl. It needs a holding mid. He is by far the standout holding mid in the world that isnt in his peak ages. Kimmich the only other one that came to mind but I have no idea what he even plays for bayern these days with his versatility. Plus im not sure if hes as good as weigl anyway.
Don't agree with Weigl being the standout DM, i feel Paredes for example at Roma is more talented, Weigl is good but he doesn't look to me like a standout once in a generation like Veratt is or Pogba has potential to be.

Bwuk

No love for Renato Sanches? He looked very good at Euros.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
De Gea
Bellerin Gimenez Umtiti Shaw
Amine Harit Naby Keita Marco Veratti Ousmane Dembele
Messi Andrea Belotti

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No love for Renato Sanches? He looked very good at Euros.
Feel like hes overrated. Great physical attributes but not the best technically. Has been meh at Bayern so far. Young and has potential, but a couple of good games at the euros made his reputation skyrocket compared to what it should be imo.

Madthinker

Absolutely. 4 or 5 years ago Bale was about to be loaned out to Forest or Birmingham. There will be one or two 14 or 15 year olds now who we've never even heard of who will be bordering on super stardom in five years time and probably walk into a world eleven.
I think this is a bit off to be honest.

Bale had already won PFA player of the year 5 years ago. He certainly wouldn't have been an outlandish shout.

In 2011 you would have picked Messi and Ronaldo obviously. And if you'd gone through the 2011 Ballon D'or and picked anyone who'd now be 30 or under, you'd have Suarez, Neymar, Ozil, Muller, Aguero, Benzema, Pique, Fabregas & Nani - only the latter looks daft now (and he was one of the stars of the Euros this year).

Of course you're right, there will probably be unknown youngsters coming through by 2021, but who of those in the current Fifa 30 or typical world XI were neither U21 nor highly predictable 5 years ago? I exclude Vardy, as nobody really thinks he's up there now. Aubamayeng is probably the best shout, but overall I think it's been fairly predictable.

The BlackGaijin

If Verrati and Dybala turn into shit or even avarage players I am going to be so dissppointed at and for alot of you.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Verrati and Dybala turn into shit or even avarage players I am going to be so dissppointed at and for alot of you.
How are two already WC players gonna turn to shit? At worst, they won't get any better, which wouldn't mean that much given they are already 2 of the best players in the world...

The BlackGaijin

How are two already WC players gonna turn to shit? At worst, they won't get any better, which wouldn't mean that much given they are already 2 of the best players in the world...
They are not world beaters now,but everyone and his dog thinks they will be . Just like I think Martial will be.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They are not world beaters now,but everyone and his dog thinks they will be . Just like I think Martial will be.
Not world beaters, but already among the best. Dybala at his best is already one of the top 15-20 players in the world

Smores

To be honest a year ahead is too much never mind 5. People always got caught up in hype and think early form is an indication of trajectory, just like Januzaj Rashford may vanish for instance.

We shouldn't assume players will be world class until they actually show it. Its probably true all world class players showed early promise but most with early promise dont vastly improve.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think this is a bit off to be honest.

Bale had already won PFA player of the year 5 years ago. He certainly wouldn't have been an outlandish shout.

In 2011 you would have picked Messi and Ronaldo obviously. And if you'd gone through the 2011 Ballon D'or and picked anyone who'd now be 30 or under, you'd have Suarez, Neymar, Ozil, Muller, Aguero, Benzema, Pique, Fabregas & Nani - only the latter looks daft now (and he was one of the stars of the Euros this year).

Of course you're right, there will probably be unknown youngsters coming through by 2021, but who of those in the current Fifa 30 or typical world XI were neither U21 nor highly predictable 5 years ago? I exclude Vardy, as nobody really thinks he's up there now. Aubamayeng is probably the best shout, but overall I think it's been fairly predictable.
Aye, it's always difficult to project who will develop into a star from the age of <20 (see that England team that was posted earlier). But for anyone in their early 20s it's a lot more straightforward. It's only really a challenge when there's a generational gap in top class players coming through in a specific position. For example, at the end of the 2000s it would have been tricky to predict which goalkeepers would now be at the top, because one good generation of keepers (Buffon, Casillas, Cesar, Cech, VDS) was coming to an end, while the next one was still emerging.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Bernardo Silva, Monaco's right-winger, will have a chance.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
GK : De Gea (He's currently probably the best already and I think definitely will maintain that level in 5 years)
RB : Bellerin (I think he will outgrow Arsenal in the next couple of years and join one of the European giants. I see him being much better than Carvajal and Aurier)
CB : Rugani ( He seems a very composed Center Back for his age and I think staying at Juventus will enhance his reputation. If he doesn't move I think he will fulfill the mould of the next great Italian CB)
CB : Gimenez ( The heir apparent to Godin at Atletico. I think he will be a real rock in the years to come)
LB : Alaba (Probably already one of the best LBs in the world and will surely maintain that level for the next 5 years)
DM : Saul ( For me he's the most complete young Midfielder in the world. He really has everything)
CM : Pogba ( We all know his potential. Lets see if he fulfills it over the next few years)
CM : Kroos (He will only be 31 in 5 years time. And barring any serious succession of injuries I see him being an imperious heir to Modric at Real)
FW : Neymar ( Probably the most sure shot bet for winning atleast one Ballon D'or in the next 5 years)
FW : Werner ( I really like the look of this kid. RBL seem headed for big things and he could well become the face of that club as well as the German National team in years to come)
FW : Dybala ( The best young striker in the world bar none at the moment. Will be interesting to see how long Juventus can hold onto him)

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I made this thread little over 5 years ago.

So funny to look back at now.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Saul makes a few.

Weigl :lol:

It’ll be good to do this again and open up in 2027.
Someone else can start.

Zen

It's kind of mad thinking how absolutely out of nowhere Mbappe came.... 18 years old and not a single mention, one year later and he'd be on every list I'd say.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
GK - Donnarumma
RB - Reece James
LB - Alphonso Davies
CB - Konate
CB - Ruben Dias

CM - Gavi
CM - Camavinga
CM - Pedri

FW - Mbappe
FW - Haaland
FW - Vinicius JR

Shoutouts or sub bench for the following:
Bellingham, Wirtz, Musiala,

Of course, in 5 years time some of these will look idiotic.

Njord

1st XI

Donnarumma
TAA - Dias - Militao - Davies
Bellingham - de Jong
Mbappe - Foden - Vinicius jr.
Haaland

2nd XI

Onana
James - de Ligt - Upamecano - Mendy
Pedri - Gavi
Rodrygo - Wirtz - Sancho
Vlahovic

3rd XI

Henderson
Hakimi - Konate - Araujo - Mendes
Gravenberch - Rice
Saka - Musiala - Fati
Isak

Lot of talent nowadays.​

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
De Gea
Rugani Romagnoli Gimenez
Verratti Koke Pogba
Griezmann Dybala Neymar
Icardi
I can’t be unhappy… even the worst picks in this XI are still competent enough and play for big teams.

JimHopper

Supports
Bodø Glimt
Pretty simple question. What do you guys think will be the best XI in the world in 5 years from now?

This would be my pick:

some notes:

There are a couple of players that would also be in my current World XI, namely Neymar, Alaba, Carvajal, and maybe De Gea. Pogba and Verratti are close, but as of right now Busquets and Modric are still ahead of them.

I picked Saul over Koke. Although Koke is better right now, I believe that Saul has a higher ceiling. Also, judging by the amount of distance he covers per game, I don't think that Koke is going to have much left in his legs when he is 30.

Icardi is a controversial one. He will be 28 in 2021, his absolute prime, and IMO he has all the tools to be the best striker on the planet. The numbers he puts out (goals and assists) for a currently very mediocre Inter side are incredible.
I won't say too much about your selection, but I will tell a story about my father who died in March 2021 from Parkinsons decease. Up until his last weeks he would get upset and mad when Manchester United played on TV and Pogba was there. Noone provoked him more and he always used to say that Pogba just walked around with no spirit and no ability to fight when things went against the team. Pretty much what Roy Keane is saying.
I don't see why every team has Pogba or Weigl(when did everyone start rating him as the standout dm) in it?

Only guarantee for me would be Veratti and Neymar, everyone else is a question mark.
I totally agree. I don't understand at all why Pogba is there. My dad died from Parkinsons in march last year and everytime he saw Pogba on TV his tremors would increase.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's kind of mad thinking how absolutely out of nowhere Mbappe came.... 18 years old and not a single mention, one year later and he'd be on every list I'd say.
It's interesting and would argue that 5 years seems too long for some positions in modern football. You'd argue that the two best strikers in the world are Lewa and Haaland. One is 33 and one is 21, so you'd need to guess a 16 year old and a 28 year old will be the worlds best. Similarly when it comes to wide forwards, you could argue the best are Salah and Mbappe. You'd be guessing an 18 year old and a 24 year old (more reasonable) but Salah was just starting to emerge, it was just before Liverpool signed him. You always have random wildcards too like Mendy and Kante who have come from nowhere.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Donnarumma
Trent Saliba Tapsoba Davies
Rodri
Bellingham Odegaard
Saka Haaland Mbappe

So many talented players coming through. I could easily name another couple of teams.

Korwas

Making this 5 years ago would be really tough because of the lack of young talent at the time. I really liked Son very early and might have put him in the team. Now my guess is:

Alisson
TAA - Dias - Marquinhos - Alphonso Davies
Kimmich - Pedri
Odegaard
Mbappe - Haaland - Vinicius

GK and AM were the hardest. Pretty sure the others will be good/great in 5 years. Hot take: I think Haaland might end up the worst of the three attackers. I think both Vini and Mbappe have alot higher potential as players but they can't score like Haaland.

paulscholes18

Donnaruma
TAA Dias Bastoni Davies
Kimmich
Pedri Gavi
Mbappe Haaland Fodan

In 5 years time there’s bound to be relatively unknown players who become world XI standard like TAA, Dias, Halland & Mbappe, or lateish bloomers like KDB or Salah (Dont think anyone put one of those in)