Worst World Cup Ever

I think, 1st round matches aside, it's been brilliant and quite memorable.

One thing that makes a World Cup exciting is unpredictabilty and there's been plenty of that in the last few weeks. Who would have thought Germany, Netherlands, Uruguay and Spain would have been the final 4? We've had so many shock results, drama laden finishes and plenty of talking points. Im hoping all the remaining games live up to expectations as well.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Apart from so many players acting like little bitches, the stuff that actually matters, the games, have been pretty entertaining. The games have been much better than the ones in 2006.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm going to stand by my original post. The final merely punctuated a fairly uninteresting world cup.

kps88

It was shit. But I'm sure years down the line we'll look on it more favourably.

Amir

Final was uninspiring. Well, every final has been uninspiring after 1986. But the tournament I thought was best since 1998.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Final was very, very poor. But I still maintain that 06, were there were almost no surprises and like 6 games went to penalties, was less entertaining by quite a bit.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
I actually thought after the first half the final was exciting and enthralling. Their were chances at either end, incident and at times some good football. Finals are often dissapointing and whilst this was no classic it was still a well contest game of football and overall i've really enjoyed it. There maybe hasnt been the classic games of the past but many teams surprised me and as a spectacle nothing compares.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
It was a decent tournament in terms of excitement but the whole thing was mired in scandal and controversy. Before anyone says that that's what makes the game so interesting to talk about, I would like to say that when words like "mockery" and "disgrace" and "cheat" have been thrown around as much as they have, there's definitely a problem.

If anything the best thing that came out of this tournament for me has been the fact that a lot of the game's flaws have been highlighted in spectacular fashion in front of the whole world. Hopefully some or all of them will be addressed.

Amir

Problem is, 2002 also had its fair share of big mistakes from the referees - nothing like the Lampard goal, but still - and that didn't change much. I fear it might all die down quite quickly now that the tournament is over and FIFA will happily introduce the extra two referees as a 'solution', although the game clearly needs something more than just more human eyes.

Neutral

BTV
4 years of build up for that sh1te. I suppose if you are Spanish, the feeling is different, but overall, this tournament, just didn't do it for me.

At least they managed to sell out the semi finals and final...unlike group stage, 2nd round and quarterfinal matches...

chewingkebabs

Yes, the first week and the final were uninspiring, but everything in the middle was top notch. The cheating and refereeing marred it, but doesn't that happen with Premier League and Champions League as well? I didn't even mind the vuvuzelas; they inspired a lot of great jokes.

Stretch

I've thoroughly enjoyed the World Cup. I've been privileged enough to see 9 games live including the final. Yes the final was a sordid affair but there has been drama, major drama at this World Cup. The knockout stages in general was the best I've seen since 1998 I think.

Oh and the empty stadiums was because FIFA sold buckets of tickets to corporates. There were many games where tickets were 'not available' yet there would be 10000 unfilled seats at the game.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
Been good for me, not great certainly better than the previous two and would have to be utterly abysmal to sink to the depths of the US in 94 - worst world cup by a country mile imo

There have been some brilliantly dramatic moments and some excellent games in which big teams had no appearance, bit unusual that, but once the knock out started games were almost always good and some very good but unfortunately we have'nt seen one absolute classico.

Been a good world cup for smaller nations too especially the smaller South Americans - Uruguay Chile Paraguay - all of these sides really lifted it up imo

The Germans were the standout side for me and although effectively the favourites and best side Spain won without really hitting peak form imo

Lowest points for me are the cheating which is at its worst of all time and the lack of help for the refs - this tournament shows us all exactly where we should be with the current technology helping the officials

The biggest shake up has to be in dealing with cheats divers, players sent off for what? and the punishment of such misdemeanors. Fifaf bizarrely would acquire about a billion more fans if they stopped this dead in its tracks.

Ive got a few friends who simply stopped watching the games after the sendoff involving Capddevilla, Torres, Lampards 'goal'. They feel football is 'bent' to the core of the pitch and will never convert to being a fan or wanting their kids to play it

All in all though apart from that one really black mark a good decent World Cup imo

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I have been rather underwhelmed. Was there one really memorable quality game? Germany were good to watch when in full flight I suppose.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
There is no possible way that this tournament was worse than '94, not just because England weren't there but because it was simply shite.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
After Euro 2008, which I thought was excellent, I went into this one full of optimism - all of which vanished during the group stage. There were some good games during the knockout stage, but mostly it was a tournament with more fear than flair, even from the Spanish team.

I watch mostly English, Spanish and CL football and you see the same kind of canceling each other out effect between the well prepared big teams there as well. But you also see teams who can let their flair players play - which is what this tournament lacked (honourable mention to Germany for giving Ozil and Schweinsteiger that base)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Took me a while to get into it but I've thoroughly enjoyed the WC.

Loads of drama, upsets, quality football and lashings of local flavour (aka Vuvuzelas)

Who gives a feck if the poster boys didn't turn up? Hopefully that reminds a certain section of football fans that watching football is about watching two teams take each other on, not a clash of mega-star individuals. IMO this competition has been all the better for the usual suspects failing to impress.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Been good for me, not great certainly better than the previous two and would have to be utterly abysmal to sink to the depths of the US in 94 - worst world cup by a country mile imo
How? It had a way higher goals to game ratio than any of the previous 6 World Cups.

Explain yourself.

There is a major misconception that this was a poor WC. It really wasn’t.

141 goals from just 24 teams was a fantastic total. There were class games right the way through, albeit the final was terrible (worse than last nights). Tournament as a whole was far superior to 1990 and 2006.

I often think the reason why some dislike it is due to England not qualifying. (I have no idea if you are English or not)

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
The 2010 WC of course is getting a lot of complaints due to several reasons... Come on lads... its the year 2010... looking at decisions like the Tevez Offside goal... the Lamps ball overgoal line appeal etc... the decisions have just been too unfair to many teams here... Sepp Blatter is Definately the one to blame... The magic of football my arse, France should never have been here in the first place...

If we can't even implement video technology for the ball crossing the line like Hockey... then there would have been no improvement in the game for a so called 20 year outing...

Bearded but no genius

How? It had a way higher goals to game ratio than any of the previous 6 World Cups.

Explain yourself.

141 goals from just 24 teams was a fantastic total. There were class games right the way through, albeit the final was terrible (worse than last nights). Tournament as a whole was far superior to 1990 and 2006.

I often think the reason why some dislike it is due to England not qualifying. (I have no idea if you are English or not)
The final has a habit of overshadowing all the rest.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
1990 was terrible as far as quality football is concerned. It was only good for me because of Ireland.

There was a huge amount of woeful games in that tournament
And with the greatest of respect (because firstly we seem in agreement about 1990), Ireland were also shit! No offence meant. But they didn't even win a game and made the QF's. That tournament was filled with negativity and yet people go on about how great it is (probably because of England and Ireland's progression).

This tournament has been good. The knock-out stages and upsets have made it memorable.

Stretch

And with the greatest of respect (because firstly we seem in agreement about 1990), Ireland were also shit! No offence meant. But they didn't even win a game and made the QF's. That tournament was filled with negativity and yet people go on about how great it is (probably because of England and Ireland's progression).

This tournament has been good. The knock-out stages and upsets have made it memorable.
Important observation this. I suspect that if England went to say the SF of this WC then the WC get a massive stamp of approval from caftards. It's a bit like the Webb issue for me. I get the feeling his inconsistencies and glaring mistakes at times are being defended vehemently just because he's English. I could be horribly wrong though.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Important observation this. I suspect that if England went to say the SF of this WC then the WC get a massive stamp of approval from caftards. It's a bit like the Webb issue for me. I get the feeling his inconsistencies and glaring mistakes at times are being defended vehemently just because he's English. I could be horribly wrong though.
I agree. 1990 has shown that when I hear people go on about how great it was, when it really was not. Every tournament has its special moments and Italia '90 did too, but there was a lot of negativity. England stumbled through the group, were flukey against Belgium (one great strike from Platt aside) and rather fortunate against Cameroon, though that was a very good game.

I think Webb did ok in the final. I think he had a really difficult time of it with some of those players. Most of them looked like they wanted to be added to the list of red carded players in a World Cup final, whilst Webb tried to calm it. None of the cards he gave were wrong (he's been criticised for so many when arguably it could've been more) and I don't think that was a foul to Netherlands before the Spain goal.

I say none of that because I'm English, I couldn't care less where the ref was from.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was fun but if the semi's and final disappoint then it really takes the shine of the competition.

The Germany vs Spain semi and the final just killed the world cup for me. I was expecting something amazing in the former and as a result of it being drab and Spain winning, the latter ended up being one of the most rubbish games of football.

So all in all for me for the below reasons this WC has been just about nice:

a) The 'biggest match' being so average. (Germany vs Spain)
b) The final, which was actually one of the most painful to watch football matches. It advertised football as the sporting home of diving, faking and cheating.
c) Spain. I wish they weren't at this WC to be honest. I didn't see ONE good game that they were involved in. Possibly the one they lost. They even made a Germany game boring which I didn't think was possible.

Stretch

I agree. 1990 has shown that when I hear people go on about how great it was, when it really was not. Every tournament has its special moments and Italia '90 did too, but there was a lot of negativity. England stumbled through the group, were flukey against Belgium (one great strike from Platt aside) and rather fortunate against Cameroon, though that was a very good game.

I think Webb did ok in the final. I think he had a really difficult time of it with some of those players. Most of them looked like they wanted to be added to the list of red carded players in a World Cup final, whilst Webb tried to calm it. None of the cards he gave were wrong (he's been criticised for so many when arguably it could've been more) and I don't think that was a foul to Netherlands before the Spain goal.

I say none of that because I'm English, I couldn't care less where the ref was from.
Fair enough mate, however as I've pointed out in the other thread RE: Webb, the players were thuggish and he did well to keep the teams to 11 in the 90. However, he put fuel to the fire with obvious inconsistencies. I was at the match and both sets of fans and players were getting frustrated with inconsistent calls. That was his flaw last night and that is why it seemed at times that he can't get players tempers to cool the feck down. But that's neither here nor there now is it? Going of on a tangent...meh

Amir

I'm with you there. I thought 1994 was a good tournament, certainly better than 1990. Of the six tournaments I've witnessed in my life, I'd put it third behind 1998 and 2010. And it's got nothing to do with things looking differently after so many years, as I remember Italia 90' for it's utter shitness. Some great drama and stories - What World Cup doesn't have those? - but total sh*t on stick football.

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ

Explain yourself.

I am English and that has no bearing whatsoever on my personal judgments of world cups which go back to 1966

94 was bollocks imo not a real standout side or game and obviously the final was one of the worst on record although that is not the sole indication of the overall quality of a world cup

It had Romario and maybe Babeto as quality players a few shocks here and there but for me poor from start to finish

It was never helped of course by the Americans hardly noticing it was going on !

The worst one I have seen by some distance

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I've watched 5 world cups (including this one) and I don't know if it's because I'm older and more mature but this WC is by far the worst I've ever watched.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I thought it had some memorable moments and was entertaining enough.

Unfortunately overall (on the pitch at least) I reckon it was a pretty good advert for everything that's wrong with modern day football, and the sea of twattishness that engulfed the final was a pretty fitting centre piece, and actually was a pretty accurate display of what the two teams involved are all about.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think everyone will have their opinions as to what constitutes a great World cup, but this one has been alright for me. Not the best, nowhere near the worst, just thoroughly enjoyable and not to mention "unique".

Going to miss footy now until August though :(

Moriarty

I think everyone will have their opinions as to what constitutes a great World cup, but this one has been alright for me. Not the best, nowhere near the worst, just thoroughly enjoyable and not to mention "unique".

Going to miss footy now until August though :(
True. I'm sorry that it wasn't Germany v Uruguay in the final. It was an OK WC but nothing special and the bloody vuvezelas really spoiled it for me.

At least the England flags seem to have disappeared from people's cars and houses; at least until 2012, assuming they qualify.