Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

Bogga

Time is ticking... we're still left with Smalling, Pereira, Lingard, Jones and Rojo
Todays bullshittery hit new heights when we're about to bid 140 something million for Ansu Fati, but can't bid 108 for Sancho

Hell Ed, at least find a new noodle sponsor or something! :boring:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Even the papers can't be arsed to make things up about us.

United got up to 3rd and made 3 semi finals - it shows we just need the final push now to really challenge for silverware.

3-4 good, established players coming in would set the club up for the next 5 years, due to the age of the squad.

It will be Woodwood's biggest failure if he doesn't seize the moment during this window.

Giggsy13

With the Havertz deal now close to completion with €80 million reportedly paid up front, it’s clear what it’s going to take to get Sancho. Either pay a substantial guaranteed fee up front for Sancho or look at other targets, it’s as simple as that.

WPMUFC

With the Havertz deal now close to completion with €80 million reportedly paid up front, it’s clear what it’s going to take to get Sancho. Either pay a substantial guaranteed fee up front for Sancho or look at other targets, it’s as simple as that.
Another painful reminder: we actually briefed WEEKS ago, that BVB were living in a fantasy land with their Sancho fee evaluation. Another woodward classic moment.

soralapio

could you imagine going from Sancho hype to "MUFC see no value in the market and Poch is interested in the job"
A few more weeks and we won't have to imagine! I never believed the Sancho rumours very much, but it's becoming extremely likely that he isn't coming. Even at the most generous reading Woodward is dragging his feet doing his Ed Woodward Genius Negotiator thing, and Dortmund don't have to sell. They won't budge, and they really have no reason to sell even at the "asking price", should Woodward panic into offering that much.

Litch

I agree.
It would be great to have a world class squad but we are not going to spend 40mil on a player unless we view him as a first team player and it is as simple as that. Even more so with us the plan has always been to fill squad roles with our own young players and I cannot see that changing.
The youngs players is an very interesting point and we can't promote that historically we have players from 8 years old to first team which is what separates us from others only to 'dick that to the kerb' once this doesn't appear to produce the players when we want them....

Untied

Competent executives and an owner who wants them to win.

Chelsea have both, United have neither - that's the difference.
They paid 80m for Kepa, 60m for Morata and 35m for Drinkwater. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

croadyman

It shows once more we dont have the right setup nor the right people. There is a reason Bayern is so successful
Yeah their club is ran by the fans and the board is full of ex players that actually care about what happens on the pitch

DarkDog

My question is, has there ever been more inept GM/DoF/Sporting director than Edward Woodward?
All of the missed transfers, all of the overpaid contracts, overpaid deals and plain old stupid deals
Thiago, Cesc, Kroos, Bale, Hummels, Mane, Ramos, Müller, Griezmann, Dybala, Haaland, Bellingham and Neymar :D
overpaid and stupid Rojo, Di Maria, Fellaini, Alexis, Jones, Mourinho, Mata, Falcao, Schneiderlin, Fred, Maguire, Darmian and Lee effing Grant

those are just off the top of my head

croadyman

Getting a CB, Grealish and Sancho would be the dream window as it would mean the bench would be so much stronger than what it has been. As it stands our best 11 is pretty good. But our bench options are atrocious and not of the quality to change a game. Cup games are a problem also as we are forced to overplay our best players.

With those 3 positions being strengthened this window, I think we would be in a good place and closer to where we need to be.

It is imperative that we do what is needed now and not spread it over the next 3 windows. I am basing this on Liverpool and City being miles ahead already and Chelsea going mad with their rebuild. Arteta will have Arsenal doing better and Spurs/Wolves being up there too. We could end up struggling for top 4 again if we are not careful. That is why there has been a 'meltdown' over Chelsea's dealings.
Was hoping we could do some kind of player plus cash deal for Jack but that isn't looking even remotely likely at the moment

You would think a CB still relies on us selling Smalling and getting Rojo off the wage bill which looks difficult to say the least

Litch

I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

Give over mate. It's football, not some sort of righteous movement where you talk about soul or earning or history and legacy.

One of my greatest wishes is that one day we as a fanbase stop this holier than thou, moral high ground nonsense that is peddled.
Do you need a bib then?

Football means different things to different people and not sure why fans seem to think we have to argue that it means the same. Quite the opposite, my view is we have no God even right to win but we are not the same as any other team which is the very reason why fans are frustrated when we are not winning.

croadyman

The lack of a transfer committee/ DoF is really biting us on the arse. We simply have no direction: no plan B or C.
Yeah because that would mean Ed and his sidekick having to step aside which their egos won't allow to happen

Suvvernmanc

Was hoping we could do some kind of player plus cash deal for Jack but that isn't looking even remotely likely at the moment

You would think a CB still relies on us selling Smalling and getting Rojo off the wage bill which looks difficult to say the least
Yes I thought that would be a route that Woody would have thought of. Jones to Villa and Rojo to anywhere would be great. Andreas to Spain maybe. I do think Smalling will go to Roma still as the valuation is only a few million €€ away from what Roma are willing to pay.

We absolutely cant have these players around for another season. It's got to the stage where it might be better financially to let Jones and Rojo go for free as their wages have cost us millions yet they aren't going to play for us again. Mad really.

I would say our priorty is RW, CM and then a CB. Our defence has been so much better than previous seasons and we desperately need another top player to play CM/AM

croadyman

Yes I thought that would be a route that Woody would have thought of. Jones to Villa and Rojo to anywhere would be great. Andreas to Spain maybe. I do think Smalling will go to Roma still as the valuation is only a few million €€ away from what Roma are willing to pay.

We absolutely cant have these players around for another season. It's got to the stage where it might be better financially to let Jones and Rojo go for free as their wages have cost us millions yet they aren't going to play for us again. Mad really.

I would say our priorty is RW, CM and then a CB. Our defence has been so much better than previous seasons and we desperately need another top player to play CM/AM
Hell we could even have seen if they were interested in Jesse or Romero,one of their fans even suggested he would have taken James on loan for a year.

Yeah in regards to Jones & Rojo we simply have to get those wages off the bill in the most ruthless and efficient way possible

Hackman2210

When it comes to transfers Ed is more cunning than the fox that has just been appointed head of cunning at Oxford university..............
We are four weeks into the transfer window and as a supporter group we have actually no idea who is going to walk in and out of the door. Its like a magical game of pass the parcel - honestly does anyone have even one name they think will arrive in this window - a name they are willing to put actual money on??
I dont and I've been a supporter since 82. I'm pretty sure smalling will go, Jones I think may stay. Linguard - maybe goes, depends if we can get anyone in. Mata - see linguard. Perreria - See mata. Rojo - depends if we can pay someone to take him. At the moment we are actually paying people to leave, but that was good business in Sanchezs case. I love the club and always will but what is happening to my beautiful Red Devils????

Litch

I think your wrong on that but hey. Top players would want to play in a strong team/squad. To win a domestic cup and go deep into the CL, on top of the the PL you play 60 or so matches. Bruno as our only good AM will not play 60 matches and will not play 90 minutes in every game. Neither Rashford, Pogba or anyone else! Bringing in a top CB, AM and a RW will just mean we can manage our players better throughout the season in all competitions. Grealish for instance will play enough minutes and so will Bruno. Neither will mind sharing that role. especially when Grealish plays LW too.

Having a strong 16 or so players that could start every game is imperative. It's been said on here too many times that players won't want to come and sit on the bench. Thats not how it works is it. Substitutions are made throughout the game to rest players or to change a game and when the fixtures pile up these players will need to be dropped for their own good. I'm not really sure what your suggesting to be honest. Every club manages there squad like this.
In our best period of football, how many players on our bench would you describe as top players. Treble season, how many would you describe as top players. Liverpool, how many of their top players on the bench improves us? Who off their bench improves comes on for Pogs, Martial, Burno, Rashford. The only team that could offer that is City.
Top players will not come here to sit on the bench. They come with the mindset that they have the ability to play in front of who is already here. If this is the case, you find players that are equal to those players named. You know that's well over 300m of talent. Benches are generally not bought, they are built and I'm sure next season we will see more young players coming through. Fred, Scott, Mata and Bailly are good squad players.

Litch

Thiago Silva easily at CB, Chilwell easily at LB, Werner rotate with Martial and Rashford, Ziyech easily on the right. Havertz then would rotate with Pogba and Bruno. Honestly if we signed all 5 of these guys, it wouldn't be overkill for our squad and would give us one that can compete on all levels.
Silva starts for Utd? And he's an upgrade at nearly 36? Not sure Chilwell is that much better than Shaw. Those players are not coming to rotate neither are the players here being rotated aside from injury or lesser cup games. Watch how Chelsea will start to implod when players aren't getting football. There are a lot of young players that played this season that won't next. Even if Rom and Sanchez worked out, do you think Martial would be here or we would have seen Greenwood?

Litch

They paid 80m for Kepa, 60m for Morata and 35m for Drinkwater. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Yep and the bloke they shipped out to Ac Milan who cost 40m. Can you imagine if Utd had KDB, Rom and Salah at some point in the club what fans would have said about us developing players and being such a well run club?

Untied

Yep and the bloke they shipped out to Ac Milan who cost 40m. Can you imagine if Utd had KDB, Rom and Salah at some point in the club what fans would have said about us developing players and being such a well run club?
That's another good point. And they risk alienating their young players again — on the one hand the depth their attack now has is a great problem to have, and if you have the money who cares if you eventually lose Hudson-Odoi because you bought Werner, Havertz, Ziyech, etc but it's not how most fans would want United to be run.

Giggsy13

But they have done far more good than bad and its not even close.

I think all is forgiven when they’ve plucked two of the brightest and most exciting young players in Germany. They’ve moved on from their mistakes while we’re still paying hefty wages to ours.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Top players will not come here to sit on the bench. They come with the mindset that they have the ability to play in front of who is already here. If this is the case, you find players that are equal to those players named. You know that's well over 300m of talent. Benches are generally not bought, they are built and I'm sure next season we will see more young players coming through. Fred, Scott, Mata and Bailly are good squad players.
This is absolute tosh. Disregarding the obvious that you can sign players that are young and have potential to be top players, you absolutely must have top players willing to be on your bench if you want a squad capable of competing for the big trophies. Look at madrids and bayerns bench. We signed Berbatov when we had tevez,rooney,ronaldo etc. Its not black and white, starter and sub, in todays game at the top level it's a squad game.

croadyman

This is absolute tosh. Disregarding the obvious that you can sign players that are young and have potential to be top players, you absolutely must have top players willing to be on your bench if you want a squad capable of competing for the big trophies. Look at madrids and bayerns bench. We signed Berbatov when we had tevez,rooney,ronaldo etc. Its not black and white, starter and sub, in todays game at the top level it's a squad game.
Yeah if that is one of the main reasons we aren't going for Jack then that is the biggest bunch of BS. I am also annoyed it seemed to hinge on Pogba leaving when they don't even play in the same position.

Litch

But they have done far more good than bad and its not even close.

I think all is forgiven when they’ve plucked two of the brightest and most exciting young players in Germany. They’ve moved on from their mistakes while we’re still paying hefty wages to ours.
Might be right but time will tell I guess. The problem with young German talent, they inevitably end up at Bayern. It's interesting that we have yet to see many German players in the top teams in the PL....

MattofManchester

Silva starts for Utd? And he's an upgrade at nearly 36? Not sure Chilwell is that much better than Shaw. Those players are not coming to rotate neither are the players here being rotated aside from injury or lesser cup games. Watch how Chelsea will start to implod when players aren't getting football. There are a lot of young players that played this season that won't next. Even if Rom and Sanchez worked out, do you think Martial would be here or we would have seen Greenwood?
You really think a CL finalist who still looks to be in peak fitness will be benched by Lindelof?

Litch

Bit rude? My 'tosh' was top players not potential. You can cherry pick as much as you like but Berbatov was signed and who then left the following season. Rooney was signed, who then left? If Rom or Sanchez proved to be a success, do you think Martial would still be here? My point is Liverpool have proven to be one of the most successful teams in the last 3 seasons, which 'top' players did or do they have on their bench? Who comes in for VD or any of the front 3? We are suggesting the Club buy players to come in for Pogs, Bruno and Martial?

Top level imo is about the quality of your starting 11, improve that and the squad takes care of itself. For example, Buy better than Lindelof, he drops to the bench either leaves or fights for his position. Bring in some talent from within and that's how you build than buy your bench. We can see that already in Fred, Scott and Greenwood. Buy Sancho puts maybe Rashford on the bench to fight for his position....

Litch

You really think a CL finalist who still looks to be in peak fitness will be benched by Lindelof?
Yes. If he was that good, he'd be staying to continue the journey with two of the best players in the world rather than uprooting his family to England for one season. If we signed him, there would be many fans on here saying why have we bought a 35 year old. Smacks of desperation on Chelsea's part.

MetoTTT

Might be right but time will tell I guess. The problem with young German talent, they inevitably end up at Bayern. It's interesting that we have yet to see many German players in the top teams in the PL....
Come on, they can't buy all the german talented players.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bit rude? My 'tosh' was top players not potential. You can cherry pick as much as you like but Berbatov was signed and who then left the following season. Rooney was signed, who then left? If Rom or Sanchez proved to be a success, do you think Martial would still be here? My point is Liverpool have proven to be one of the most successful teams in the last 3 seasons, which 'top' players did or do they have on their bench? Who comes in for VD or any of the front 3? We are suggesting the Club buy players to come in for Pogs, Bruno and Martial?

Top level imo is about the quality of your starting 11, improve that and the squad takes care of itself. For example, Buy better than Lindelof, he drops to the bench either leaves or fights for his position. Bring in some talent from within and that's how you build than buy your bench. We can see that already in Fred, Scott and Greenwood. Buy Sancho puts maybe Rashford on the bench to fight for his position....
So players with potential don;t count as top players for you. Ok we disagree there. Why did tevez and Rvn leave? Nothing to do with squad depth. Martial would probably not be here because Mourinho was a bit of a muppet but the point is even if Sanchez and Lukaku were successes we should keep Martial. A top team wants to keep its top players as much as possible. If we're winning then players of the caliber of Mahrez, Bale etc etc will be more than happy coming off the bench more than they start. Go look up how many games Giggs and Scholes started on the bench.

You're basically saying only buy players that will be better than our starting 11. The premise itself doesn't work, just look at the Sanchez, Lukaku example, nobody knows who how a player will play for a new club. You make calculated risks to improve your team weighing things like positional need, financial terms etc. There are plenty of players young and old who would improve our squad, not exploring those options because we only have a rigid criteria of "only buy players better than our starting 11" is silly imo. Apologies if it comes across as rude, we just disagree.

Litch

Yeah if that is one of the main reasons we aren't going for Jack then that is the biggest bunch of BS. I am also annoyed it seemed to hinge on Pogba leaving when they don't even play in the same position.
Might be me but most of our transfers (not young potential) go pretty much into the first 11.....Outside of injuries, Jack sat on the bench. He'll play games but not the ones he came to Utd to play. Like say Henderson, you can ask them to be patient but a 25/26 year old? Look what happened to Drinkwater at Chelsea? Not easy when you left a club where you were the main person....

dutchred

Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell and Thiago Silva would all start for us.
I beg to disagree
Who would Werner replace?
Ziyech would be a good option on the right and also as a potential 10 if Bruno is injured or suspended
Chilwell is not as good as Shaw. He would be at best a better back up that Williams ( who is a right back)
Thiago will be found out for pace in the PL, especially the way Ole wants us to play.
Before you all start drooling about Chelsea lets see how Lampard uses his new players and how the gell and what will happen to his younger players competing with the big stars.

Infra-red

What like giving CHO a 120k a week wage, only to go and spend a load of money to put him on the bench. People are just throwing their toys out the pram, as per, when someone else signs players and we don't. If we go into the season with no signings, you can say that, but Chelsea could equally have just spent a load of money to not improve. Who'd be the competent executives then?
Signing players is not an exact science and every club will have some misses (although one could argue that getting in the players that the manager/scouts have asked for, is pretty much the definition of being a good football executive).

Perhaps Werner, Ziyech, Havertz (if they get him over the line), Chilwell, Sarr and Thiago Silva will all turn out to be duds, but Lampard is being backed by his club this summer. Solskjaer, thus far, is not.

Litch

So players with potential don;t count as top players for you. Ok we disagree there. Why did tevez and Rvn leave? Nothing to do with squad depth. Martial would probably not be here because Mourinho was a bit of a muppet but the point is even if Sanchez and Lukaku were successes we should keep Martial. A top team wants to keep its top players as much as possible. If we're winning then players of the caliber of Mahrez, Bale etc etc will be more than happy coming off the bench more than they start. Go look up how many games Giggs and Scholes started on the bench.

You're basically saying only buy players that will be better than our starting 11. The premise itself doesn't work, just look at the Sanchez, Lukaku example, nobody knows who how a player will play for a new club. You make calculated risks to improve your team weighing things like positional need, financial terms etc. There are plenty of players young and old who would improve our squad, not exploring those options because we only have a rigid criteria of "only buy players better than our starting 11" is silly imo. Apologies if it comes across as rude, we just disagree.
Top means they have proved it? Tevez and RVN could not be guaranteed starting football so they went where they would. Martial would probably not be here under Ole cause he wouldn't be playing enough football. Yes we should keep him but people forget, players generally are not happy playing from the bench at any level not to mention top 80m plus ones. Bale happy coming off the bench? Really.....he refused to travel the last game.
Yes agree there are players that improve the squad but we have this season alone seen young players not come to Utd but have gone to start in Germany. The irony is that's exactly why Sancho left city.
Not saying it's rigid, just saying it's hard to sign players of the quality we need if they are not starting.

Litch

Come on, they can't buy all the german talented players.
No they buy the best German talent. If not initially but please name a top German player that's not played for Bayern? It's almost something the German national team demands. Spains the same too....

ash_86

Have you watched Sarr play on a regular basis?
The guy has got pace and that is it.
when i have watched him, he seems to be good techinically. Still raw but much better than Dan James was when we got him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yeah their club is ran by the fans and the board is full of ex players that actually care about what happens on the pitch
They have a clear strategy, understand the football business, know what is needed to succeed, etc. etc. Even when things don’t go too well, they can turn it around and the team is just incredibly strong