Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimalist

If we can solve the RW, i don't mind this. however i'd really also like a CB to be the main target to pair with bailly.

I might be a sucker for Shaw, but i think he can do it. He just has to be 100% focused for the season.
That's serviceable. Shaw, Bailly and Valencia have question marks though.

sparx99

A summer of stability and focusing on the cohesion of the team isn't necessarily a negative given the huge turnover in recent years at Utd. We have a bloated squad which Mourinho/the Board have worked hard to reduce. It's just we also have some fairly obvious gaps and those need to be looked at as well.

Pogba came year 1 and Matic year 2 so their relationship should be better this season. No new CB means the partnerships should be starting from a better place compared to previous years. Last year we also had to adjust to having Lukaku and Sanchez join the team. Cohesion and understanding don't happen overnight. It's a work in progress and if you look at the successful teams there is always a stable core.

We've had to build a completely new core and perhaps this season we might benefit from not changing too much and improving organically.

LB and RW are obvious problems but its hard to identify clear targets in either position, particularly RW. Kieran Tierney, Alex Sandro and Philipp Max may be the answer to LB and I'd be delighted if we got Tierney but he may need another season of experience before moving to the premier league.

At RW there is such a dearth of talent at the moment it's hard to know who we should be going for. Pulisic, Chiesa and Malcom seem raw and unproven so could be great but could also be the next Depay. Bale is likely not available and Ousmane Dembele might be attainable but Barca is probably not ready to write him off. Zaha is talented but would never be signed by Mourinho as he lacks the work rate required. In truth, Mourinho should be showing videos of Mbappe's performances for France and trying to get Martial or Rashford to play in a similar fashion. We need to pluck a gem from somewhere in the way that Tottenham have hit on the likes of Eriksen and Son-Heung Min in recent years.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
12 new transfer tweets since last time i checked in, noone to us :(

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
There do not seem to be many exciting options.

Without a couple of really, really strong signings, I see us in a tigh run for 3rd or 4th... again.

We are miles off being a proper United team. Though the last time we had one was about a decade ago now.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
There do not seem to be many exciting options.

Without a couple of really, really strong signings, I see us in a tigh run for 3rd or 4th... again.

We are miles off being a proper United team. Though the last time we had one was about a decade ago now.

Thelyonking1

United at this point is so very predictable. We won't sign anyone else, we'll struggle to a 3rd or 4th place in the league (depending on Chelsea's form). In Europe, we'll get absolutely washed and though we'll have a couple decent cup runs we won't win either. Jose will blame the board and either resign or be sacked and we'll lose Pogba and Martial in the summer. We also won't replace either adequately and just settle for being an upper mid-tier club for the foreseeable future.

Slightly exaggerating.
This is so spot on it’s not even funny.. really pisses me off how Jose just seems to be ignoring 3 blatant holes in our starting 11. No left back, right winger or world class centre back. We’re so close to having a quality squad with 3 more quality signings should take us all the way. Alderweirald Sandro & bale/Willian would put us right up there scrapping with city . Really annoys me how we are taking the foot off the gas in the transfer market when our XI is so close to being complete with just one more big window . I think Fred was the right signing for midfield(burst of energy) but there is 3 gaping holes which need to be addressed . Can’t believe mourinho is just pretending everything is fine when it isn’t . So frustrating

beingshe7don

I'm fine if we get Thiago and Sandro.

Thiago has been quoted at 54m which is an absolute steal in this market.

We can revert to a 4-2-3-1

----------------- Lukaku ------------------
--- Sanchez --- Thiago ------ Lingard ---
------- Pogba ----------- Matic -----------
Sandro --- Bailly --- Lindelof --- Valencia

Fred could be used in place of Matic when we face teams that sit back.

55m + 45m = 100m

We have to get Thiago..... It's such a no brainer when Bayern are trying to get him out. Barca, Man City and Real are not in for him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Feels a bit like Mourinho is setting up to be paid off this season, having not been supported in the transfer market versus our main rivals. Next stop lost dressing room?

Good, I’d take a rubbish season if it meant he was sacked. It’s time people realised he isn’t taking us anywhere.

ravi2

That's serviceable. Shaw, Bailly and Valencia have question marks though.
Shaw better be able to attack and cross because Valencia brings zero service from the right.
This only makes sense if the club is buying a RW

As it stands, I dont see us placing higher than 3rd.

Nickosaur

Pjanic and Kovacic are seemingly available. Think either of them would be quality.

Mister_Stubbs

I have a genuine fear that we will end the transfer window having sold Pogba whilst chasing Fellaini all summer to sign a new deal..

Lam

A summer of stability and focusing on the cohesion of the team isn't necessarily a negative given the huge turnover in recent years at Utd. We have a bloated squad which Mourinho/the Board have worked hard to reduce. It's just we also have some fairly obvious gaps and those need to be looked at as well.

Pogba came year 1 and Matic year 2 so their relationship should be better this season. No new CB means the partnerships should be starting from a better place compared to previous years. Last year we also had to adjust to having Lukaku and Sanchez join the team. Cohesion and understanding don't happen overnight. It's a work in progress and if you look at the successful teams there is always a stable core.

We've had to build a completely new core and perhaps this season we might benefit from not changing too much and improving organically.

LB and RW are obvious problems but its hard to identify clear targets in either position, particularly RW. Kieran Tierney, Alex Sandro and Philipp Max may be the answer to LB and I'd be delighted if we got Tierney but he may need another season of experience before moving to the premier league.

At RW there is such a dearth of talent at the moment it's hard to know who we should be going for. Pulisic, Chiesa and Malcom seem raw and unproven so could be great but could also be the next Depay. Bale is likely not available and Ousmane Dembele might be attainable but Barca is probably not ready to write him off. Zaha is talented but would never be signed by Mourinho as he lacks the work rate required. In truth, Mourinho should be showing videos of Mbappe's performances for France and trying to get Martial or Rashford to play in a similar fashion. We need to pluck a gem from somewhere in the way that Tottenham have hit on the likes of Eriksen and Son-Heung Min in recent years.
+1

Henry Gaervell

Still have sick notes at CB. Over under on Jones/Smalling/Bailly playing more than 30 games .... Let’s see what happens when they get injured yet again.

Ashley Young is still LB.
Unfortunately you get some types on here who dont want to clear out the deadwood.

At least 1, preferably 2, of Jones and Rojo need to be sold. Unfortunately they are unreliable sick notes that offer little consistency to the team and are blocking emerging talent in Williams, Tunzebe and TFM. I hope Bailley does not go the same way.

I'm less worried about CB than I am Right wing and Right Back. We don't even have a player for the wing, while it's a novice in Dalot or a heavily in decline (if not decl8ned for a top 6 team) Valencia. We could cobble something decent together for Centre Back with what we have, can't see how e can to it for the right.

Mainoldo

I dont care if we don’t sign anyone else. He’s had enough players; create a team and make it work.

But I still think we need a LB and RW lol.

Chairman Steve

While I’m still optimistic that we’ll get the transfers done, I do find it surreal how we’ve had so little links this summer(even with a major tournament ongoing). Harry Maguire because he’s an English centre back who got to a World Cup semi final? Ante Rebic because right winger, Croatia reaching final and not at big club? Lazy journalism that’s more like an opinion piece or a straight up guess?

The top 10 threads of this transfer forum as I look at them on a separate tab...Only three of them are a direct thread to us buying that said player and the past week I’ve had on average 30 daily transfer tweet notifications when I log in, and virtually none of them have been about Utd.

It’s so weird. Either we are really doing nothing or we’re being impressively covert.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I dont care if we don’t sign anyone else. He’s had enough players; create a team and make it work.

But I still think we need a LB and RW lol.
LB and RW are mandatory. Most fans can see this.
Let's hope that the board can also see this.

Davs

100% game of poker going on here. No way Woodward and the board members will allow Liverpool & Chelsea to take over social media with all their signings whilst the united fans are feeling depressed. There will be a chain reaction of stuff which I will outline below.

Here is how I believe it will go down

Chelsea want to sign Higuain & Aleksandr Golovin.
Real Madrid will Sign Hazard & Thibaut Courtois
Manchester United will then sign Gareth Bale from Madrid.
Spurs will then sign Martial from us with Toby Alderweireld coming our way.

Then I suspect we will get another player or two if we are lucky. Probably Sandro if reports are to be believed.

If we get:

Fred
Dalot
Bale
Sandro
+ a fully rested Sanchez from last year

We should be good to go.

Keep the faith reds!!
One can dream.

Iron Stove

The absurd thing is that there aren't even any rumors.. Never seen such a quiet summer. Where's the Gaitan rumors??

AllezLesDiables

Unfortunately you get some types on here who dont want to clear out the deadwood.

At least 1, preferably 2, of Jones and Rojo need to be sold. Unfortunately they are unreliable sick notes that offer little consistency to the team and are blocking emerging talent in Williams, Tunzebe and TFM. I hope Bailley does not go the same way.

I'm less worried about CB than I am Right wing and Right Back. We don't even have a player for the wing, while it's a novice in Dalot or a heavily in decline (if not decl8ned for a top 6 team) Valencia. We could cobble something decent together for Centre Back with what we have, can't see how e can to it for the right.
I wonder if any inquiries were made re: Meunier. He’d vastly improve service into Lukaku and other and is excellent in a counter attack oh and did I mention he’s 6’3

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The absurd thing is that there aren't even any rumors.. Never seen such a quiet summer. Where's the Gaitan rumors??
:lol:

You know things are really desperate when fans are looking for Gaitan rumors!

Seriously though, I expected little bit of chatter straight after WC but it's completely quiet. Hopefully it'll pick up soon, if we're still here with no signings by the end of July then I'll be really concerned :nervous:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I seem to spend most summers trying to persuade people that we dont need to overhaul 75% of our squad in order to avoid relegation. Unfortunately though, this summer I do think we could use a few improvements to keep us competitive - the FB, CB and RW positions are all problematic for me, especially when you look at the players our rivals have available.

City were fantastic last season and havent really lost anyone - with another season for their team to gel I dont see why anyone is expecting them to be any weaker.
Liverpool improved as the season went on and reached the CL final. They have strengthened in some key areas and will be challenging for the title next season.
Spurs' young team is entering its peak years, and again another year for them to settle. Admittedly similarly quiet on the transfer front - but I would say they have less obvious gaps in their squad compared with us.

Im concerned that other teams are moving forward and we are standing still. There are some fairly obvious areas in our team (mentioned above) where we should be looking at improving. Valencia will never be a top RB - he is too one footed, his crossing is unreliable (look at Trippier in the world cup, or Walker's impact at City last year for what a top FB brings to the team). I am reasonably sure that five years ago, if anyone had said that Valencia would be first choice in 2018 they would have been laughed at. Shaw on the other side came with plenty of potential but has barely played. Rate him or not - I dont think we can afford to be going into next season relying on him as first choice, and Young is getting older and again, will never be a top FB.

We have a collection of unreliable and inconsistent CBs; the club seems to be living in the past where we think we can get away with signing average players or cheapskating. Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof all fit into this category, whilst other teams have started spending big to acquire top quality defenders. In pretty much every top team now, you need defenders who are comfortable on the ball and can play out to some extent (or at least hit accurate long passes) - the entire foundation of the team tends to be built on that. We saw it at the world cup and last season.

Finally, RW - I dont even know who our first choice RW is at this point. But compared with the attacking talent at City and Liverpool, and to a less extent Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea, it is a major concern that we dont seem to have any natural wide men. England had the same issue, and remedied it by playing a 3-5-2 using wingbacks. On paper this would actually be quite a good fit for our players, but I cant see it happening.

Anyway, this isnt meant to be doom n gloom by any means, and I fully expect a couple more signings before the end of the window. Just surprised that anyone (especially Jose) could come out and say that they are happy going into next season with the current squad and expect us to compete for the PL/CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.