Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLUTION

Tbf I'd rather us not signing half-arsed signings like Chelsea does and keep focus on quality or else we might just develop the good talents we already have.

Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, etc. So much money thrown at mediocre players where nurturing talent would have a better payoff.

If Chelsea had saved that money (Hindsight 10/10) 22.5, 35, 34, 15 would add up to 107 m gbp to spend on one or two players.

Or in our case you could buy just one big talent (Dalot) and a big player + play McTominay, Lingard. I think Woodie sees it the same way, which is why we're not just jumping in at the moment

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I m not sure about the next season.
Man C has been improved,Liverpool has been greatly improved(although they were better than us last season)
So there s no chance for us with the quality we have
We need 2 or 3 more quality players

A CB and a right winger is a MUST
They did? Based on pl position? Or head to head games? Results in cups? So only because they were in CL finals they were better. Ok then.
But in general i agree. So far we didn't do much to improve squad for next season. Fred is maybe very good player but he is not world class player who will have some huge impact. We didn't improve defence at all. We didn't improve attack at all.
But if we sign two game changing players( defender and right winger) than we can fight with city for title.

Thisistheone

Seriously what are we doing?!

I really hope something is going on in the background because as it stands we’re finishing behind our 2 biggest rivals by a long way.
This is the thing thats really fecking me off as well.

City are miles ahead and right now Liverpool are showing way more ambition.

We're just asking for another 2013/14 season where we have to watch either one of them win the league. And this time there's no Gerrard to save us.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We need to fight for Willian and should go for Zaha if it fails!

El-Manos

Tbf I'd rather us not signing half-arsed signings like Chelsea does and keep focus on quality or else we might just develop the good talents we already have.

Zappacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, etc. So much money thrown at mediocre players where nurturing talent would have a better payoff.

If Chelsea had saved that money (Hindsight 10/10) 22.5, 35, 34, 15 would add up to 107 m gbp to spend on one or two players.

Or in our case you could buy just one big talent (Dalot) and a big player + play McTominay, Lingard. I think Woodie sees it the same way, which is why we're not just jumping in at the moment
Jorginho is a good signing though

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
No its not and as someone who has dealt with US visas with regards to work I can tell you you can apply a year in advance and its no guarantee of it being sorted.
I know and I also read somewhere that this was done months ago. People make things up to have a moan.
Absolutely agree that dealing with US immigration is entirely uncertain and a pain.

But you have to appreciate the difference between us (and that’s even with a multi-billion corporation potentially supporting us) and someone like Sanchez who is famous. You can say it doesn’t make a difference but we all know that isn’t true.

Sometimes people moan for no reason. But it’s unfair to just assume everyone has an agenda. And I’ve not even posted on this or even care about it so I’m in neither camp!

RoadTrip

On the topic of transfers, considering most of our potential signings are leaked long before they’re close to being done, added to the fact that Jose is particular about trying to get players in for pre-season (although this is somewhat negated by the fact the WC could have hampered that), I am a little concerned that there may actually not be much going on behind the scenes. But going in with this squad without strengthening in a couple of key areas (thinking particularly left back and ring wing) would not be ideal.

Hoping for Sandro and Perisic.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Think we’ll be lucky to do 1 more

Looking to me like the board aren’t backing José this summer. We got Fred because Carrick retired, a player Pep rates so a safe bet who can play different styles.

Dalot is an investment in the future and Grant is a stop-gap for cover.

Kemizee

A summer of stability and focusing on the cohesion of the team isn't necessarily a negative given the huge turnover in recent years at Utd. We have a bloated squad which Mourinho/the Board have worked hard to reduce. It's just we also have some fairly obvious gaps and those need to be looked at as well.

Pogba came year 1 and Matic year 2 so their relationship should be better this season. No new CB means the partnerships should be starting from a better place compared to previous years. Last year we also had to adjust to having Lukaku and Sanchez join the team. Cohesion and understanding don't happen overnight. It's a work in progress and if you look at the successful teams there is always a stable core.

We've had to build a completely new core and perhaps this season we might benefit from not changing too much and improving organically.

LB and RW are obvious problems but its hard to identify clear targets in either position, particularly RW. Kieran Tierney, Alex Sandro and Philipp Max may be the answer to LB and I'd be delighted if we got Tierney but he may need another season of experience before moving to the premier league.

At RW there is such a dearth of talent at the moment it's hard to know who we should be going for. Pulisic, Chiesa and Malcom seem raw and unproven so could be great but could also be the next Depay. Bale is likely not available and Ousmane Dembele might be attainable but Barca is probably not ready to write him off. Zaha is talented but would never be signed by Mourinho as he lacks the work rate required. In truth, Mourinho should be showing videos of Mbappe's performances for France and trying to get Martial or Rashford to play in a similar fashion. We need to pluck a gem from somewhere in the way that Tottenham have hit on the likes of Eriksen and Son-Heung Min in recent years.
1. They haven't worked hard enough on that. Darmian is the only potential outgoing after Blind and Fellaini(one of the biggest deadwoods) just got rewarded with a new contract. The other culprits are still here.

2. Since 2011, we have been enduring the Jones and Smalling shitshow. Rojo was added in 2014 to add another dimension to it.How many years are we going to keep enduring them in the perpetual hope that they come good?

3. I keep hearing this. How do other teams keep winning trophies amidst big changes?Chelsea and City for instance change quite a lot organically and still remain relevant?

4. Mourinho is not and attack-oriented manager by default. He cannot do this and secondly Rashford and Martial are not as talented as Mbappe. They are not just that good. We have to let them do their thing and not wish them to be what they are not.

In conclusion, everyone has a price. There are players who may not be absolute world class who will do better than Young/ Shaw at LB & Mata/ Lingard at RW. You have listed a couple of them yourself. If we do not improve those areas of out squad, it is not a matter of lack of choices but maybe financials(budgetary). Players will always be availabe with the right incentives on ground.

Dolf

Is it just me or are there barely any transfer rumours compared to the last few years? Not just United but in general.

crossy1686

career ending
Think we’ll be lucky to do 1 more

Looking to me like the board aren’t backing José this summer. We got Fred because Carrick retired, a player Pep rates so a safe bet who can play different styles.

Dalot is an investment in the future and Grant is a stop-gap for cover.
Actually agree with this. Doesn't look as though Jose's being backed this summer and probably not until he can get a tune out of the current squad either. Think it's hard for him to say "back me or sack me" also with the likes of Zidane currently not managing at the moment.

TheReligion

Abusive
On the topic of transfers, considering most of our potential signings are leaked long before they’re close to being done, added to the fact that Jose is particular about trying to get players in for pre-season (although this is somewhat negated by the fact the WC could have hampered that), I am a little concerned that there may actually not be much going on behind the scenes. But going in with this squad without strengthening in a couple of key areas (thinking particularly left back and ring wing) would not be ideal.

Hoping for Sandro and Perisic.
Are they though?

Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez all came from nowhere from what I remember. Pogba became a bit of a saga but the interest and possible move came from nothing.

United are quite quick in their dealings now. It wouldn't surprise me to see a shock signing or two before the deadline or even on deadline day.

Andersons Dietician

You know that guy is it Bill Rice who says there might be a “statement” signing. Who is there out there that would be a statement signing and what is his idea of a “statement” signing. Unless we are somehow signing Griezman, Dybala, Bale or Varane something like that or just taking a really good player like Asensio or Ousmane Dembele I just don’t see who else it could be. Unless he thinks Peresic, William or someone like that is a statement.

Actually agree with this. Doesn't look as though Jose's being backed this summer and probably not until he can get a tune out of the current squad either. Think it's hard for him to say "back me or sack me" also with the likes of Zidane currently not managing at the moment.
I agree with you and @golden_blunder the board aren't backing him at all. Tbh it's not hard to see why he's spent so much money already and has very little to show for it.

Shaun Oldman

I agree with you and @golden_blunder the board aren't backing him at all. Tbh it's not hard to see why he's spent so much money already and has very little to show for it.
If that's the case then surely its better to cut the chord now rather than in January etc after a nightmare season.

Jose isn't the type to "make the best of a bad job", he will whine and moan his way through the year if he doesn't get the backing.

So..... back or sack. Don't fall in-between the two.

If that's the case then surely its better to cut the chord now rather than in January etc after a nightmare season.

Jose isn't the type to "make the best of a bad job", he will whine and moan his way through the year if he doesn't get the backing.

When has this club ever made a decisive decision when it comes to sacking managers? both Moyes and LVG should have been sacked sooner and look what happened. We wait for things to collapse then we make a desicion.:lol: :(

crossy1686

career ending

It will reflect poorly on everyone involved and gives Jose the right to say "Well if you backed me, we'd have won the league". When he throws a tantrum mid season and blames the board for not backing him, the board can remind him of the money he's spent and poor performances.

We've also got to remember that we have to hire a new manager. We all give Chelsea a hard time for being reckless with their managers so lets not forget that we want to attract the best we can get instead of scare them off.

RoadTrip

Are they though?

Pogba, Lukaku and Sanchez all came from nowhere from what I remember. Pogba became a bit of a saga but the interest and possible move came from nothing.

United are quite quick in their dealings now. It wouldn't surprise me to see a shock signing or two before the deadline or even on deadline day.
Yes they are.

Lukaku and Pogba news and rumours were about for a long time before the deal completed.

Sanchez was more out of nowhere I agree. But to a certain extent was a pretty unique scenario.

The Firestarter

When has this club ever made a decisive decision when it comes to sacking managers? both Moyes and LVG should have been sacked sooner and look what happened. We wait for things to collapse then we make a desicion.:lol: :(
Moyes was sacked before the end of his first year of a six year contract. I'd say by all standards that's pretty soon.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
This is by far the saddest transfer saga thread in the Caf's history :(

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Absolutely agree that dealing with US immigration is entirely uncertain and a pain.

But you have to appreciate the difference between us (and that’s even with a multi-billion corporation potentially supporting us) and someone like Sanchez who is famous. You can say it doesn’t make a difference but we all know that isn’t true.

Sometimes people moan for no reason. But it’s unfair to just assume everyone has an agenda. And I’ve not even posted on this or even care about it so I’m in neither camp!
The fact they're sorting it so quickly after the need is testimony to the fact they're dealing with a multi million billion dollar sports club. Any one else they would ignore. My issues got sorted thanks to a certain somebody getting involved and it still took months.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Zidane will go back to Juventus as a director

Art Vandelay

It could just be that there's a reluctance to deal with English clubs as everyone knows they are going to be extra desperate in a couple of weeks time when the window closes early.

Henry Gaervell

While we made a great start to the window, I fear that our incoming business may be done. If that's the case, then I hope Jose has a good Plan B with his existing resources

For me there are three priorities (in order of significance)
- 1) Attacking Right
- 2) Right Back
- 3) Centre Back

1) Attacking Right
Our main problem last year and a big reason for our stunted attack. We generally used Mata out of position, who unfortunately has few elite traits that you'd expect of a winger (pace, dribbling and getting crosses in).

What made it worse, is that he'd drift in and play as an attacking mid, leaving a huge gap that Valencia struggled to fill (he can't take playing as a wing back now) and disjointed our main attacks down the left. Overall this made it far easier for the opppsition to defend as we could not stretch play

Plan B Solution - We've tried Lingaard there to no avail (he's limited as a winger), while Rashford was not particularly convincing. Unless Chong is going to suddenly mature as a regular starter, then I think our best option is to switch Sanchez to the right and use Martial/ Rashford on the left

2) Right Back
Unfortunately Valencia has declined significantly and just does not have the pace to get down the flanks and take people on like he use to (at least not consistently in a demanding season).

Solving the attacking right mitigates this as there would be less attacking demands on Valencia, but I still believe he needs to be phased out

Plan B Solution - I dont think Dalot will be ready to be a regular starter, while I don't like using Centre Backs as makeshift right backs (due to attacking requirements), so my preference would be to switch Young to the right and hope Shaw or Demetri Mitchell can deliver at Left Back

3) Centre Back
Perhaos our best ever CB pairing under Jose (Rojo and Jones) are unfortunately sick notes and as a consequence have hit their ceiling in ability. They can't be relied on even when fit and I want them sold to make way from promising youngsters to serve as cover for the first choice pairing

Bailley and Smalling are perhaps our best pairing based on individual performances last year, but unfortunately I think Smalling is limited as a top class defender, while Bailley is still inconsistant. Lideloff, TFM and Tunzebe all have great potential, but are yet to be fully proven

Plan B - While I'd like an experienced defender who can lead the back line and is comfortable on the ball, we could potentially create a solid pairing out of the above options. Bailley and TFM would be my preference, given their individual balance of athleticism, mental streght and technical skills.

Based on the above my 'Plan B' line-up.if our transfer strategy fails is as follows

De Gea
Young, TFM, Bailley, Shaw

Fred, Matic, Pogba

Sanchez, Lukkaku, Rashford

Regular rotations of:
Lideloff, Dalot, Mitchell, McTom, Lingaard, Martial and fingers crossed, Chong

Darmian, Jones, Rojo and Mata would be heading the exit list for various reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.