Would we ever avenge the 7-0 in our lifetime?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We’ve not tonked them in my lifetime so far, and I doubt we ever will. They never seem to have a bad game against us. The closest we got was when we went 3-0 up against them. Only for cloughy and razor to pull it all back.
I remember us giving them a 4-0 hiding about 20 years ago, but that’s as good as it got. I’m used to Liverpool or city turning up for their derby cup finals and causing an upset, but we’d usually win the league to keep them quiet!

foolsgold

Already did by finishing the league season ahead of them and claimed Champions league football and they didn't. Final league placing always trumps one off/individual results,
Entirely this, it was a bad day at the office but meaningless in the big picture. we out achieved them meaningfully last season.

Awla

Speaking of avenging big scorelines, on this day in 2011, the famous 8-2 happened. I wonder if Arsenal also has got a similar thread for avenging. :devil:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
We did lose 1-6 to City when Fergie was still in charge. I didn't remember a really "strong" response in the following match, though.
I remember that one to this day but know full well it was a freak result, after an unfortunate red, and got punished for keeping at it rather than going into damage limitation. That was back when we still had some pride, belief, and it cost us the league ultimately but I blame feckin' Fellaini and his elbows for that.

I don't even remember the 7-0. If you asked me five minutes ago I would have said it was 5-0 or 6-1. Absolutely nothing memorable about it. When your expectations are low you don't care really.

rk4utd

Me and my son won’t forget in a hurry - we were in the Anfield Road end and had to watch the humiliation unfold and then leave their dump of a city afterwards. Painful experiences such as this are not easily forgotten….

Cantona in disguise

Id settle for beating them at anfield this season with a dodgy penalty in the last minute to really irk that lot.

rk4utd

…and I have no illusions that this current united side could win 7-0 vs any ‘top’ opposition let alone our biggest rivals.

Blzbud

One thing I do feel fairly confident of is that we’ll all be dead before they reach the same number of PL wins as us.

ExoduS

I want to see a tittle again. Hopefully in the near future. Don't care about margin. It sucks that it happened, not going to lie. It stings hard, but... Another title would help the cause. Sadly we haven't yet build a team with high level of character yet. We need to do that first and title will most likely arrive with it. That defeat will be mostly forgotten but title seasons add to a tally that is kept forever.

AndySmith1990

Wouldn't trust us to put 7 past a team of literal farmers, nevermind a PL team. But who cares, I'd rather we won trophies than worry about this sort of thing

Gopher Brown

We have set our standards so low I dont even think it bothers the player so much being humiliated. The fans still cheers for them anyway. They can play half hearted shit zombie football jogging around the park it wont change a thing.

It's not like we get a response the following match like under SAF.

Under SAF we would have responded ferociously you can bet your house the next team facing us after 7-0 would get a spanking. You can be sure there'll be hell in the dressing room

Now... Meh... Just another day in the office.
This just isn't borne out in the data though:

Man Utd 1-6 Man City, next game Everton 0-1 Man Utd
Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd, next game Southampton 6-3 Man Utd, next game Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea
Chelsea 5-0 Man Utd, next game Aston Villa 3-0 in League Cup (although we beat Watford 4-1 in the next league game)
Man Utd 1-4 Liverpool, next game Fulham 2-0 Man Utd
Barcelona 4-0 Man Utd, next game Aston Villa 1-2 Man Utd
Man City 5-1 Man Utd, next game Man Utd 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday
Tottenham 4-1 Man Utd, next game Man Utd 0-0 Aston Villa

All the talk of 'there will be a response to this' was all just that, talk, and doesn't reflect the reality. In reality, SAF used to be extra cautious in the next game to try and avoid defeat.

Drizzle

Why are people still going on about this? It's done, one game, and it had zero impact on either teams' season. For goodness sake, let's move on.

El Jefe

I don't know what the hell some of you are on about but we absolutely do need to make up for that result. I find it funny that people would even downplay that. Thrashed 7-0 to add to the 5-1 and 4-0 defeats the season before.

This is Liverpool we're talking about here.

Finishing above them last season is no payback at all. It was different when they beat us 4-1 at OT in 2009 because we won the league that year. Using a 3rd place finish as bragging rights shows the standards are so low nowadays.

The 7-0 is way more memorable than our 3rd place finish. Even the most casual football fan will remember that result in 10 years time.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This just isn't borne out in the data though:

Man Utd 1-6 Man City, next game Everton 0-1 Man Utd
Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd, next game Southampton 6-3 Man Utd, next game Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea
Chelsea 5-0 Man Utd, next game Aston Villa 3-0 in League Cup (although we beat Watford 4-1 in the next league game)
Man Utd 1-4 Liverpool, next game Fulham 2-0 Man Utd
Barcelona 4-0 Man Utd, next game Aston Villa 1-2 Man Utd
Man City 5-1 Man Utd, next game Man Utd 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday
Tottenham 4-1 Man Utd, next game Man Utd 0-0 Aston Villa

All the talk of 'there will be a response to this' was all just that, talk, and doesn't reflect the reality. In reality, SAF used to be extra cautious in the next game to try and avoid defeat.
Hmmm... When you put it that way...

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I remember that one to this day but know full well it was a freak result, after an unfortunate red, and got punished for keeping at it rather than going into damage limitation. That was back when we still had some pride, belief, and it cost us the league ultimately but I blame feckin' Fellaini and his elbows for that.

I don't even remember the 7-0. If you asked me five minutes ago I would have said it was 5-0 or 6-1. Absolutely nothing memorable about it. When your expectations are low you don't care really.
Fellaini was at Everton for the 6-1 vs City. Evans was the one that got sent off.

Raw

I don't know what the hell some of you are on about but we absolutely do need to make up for that result. I find it funny that people would even downplay that. Thrashed 7-0 to add to the 5-1 and 4-0 defeats the season before.

Finishing above them last season is no payback at all. It was different when they beat us 4-1 at OT in 2009 because we won the league that year. Using a 3rd place finish as bragging rights shows the standards are so low nowadays.

The 7-0 is way more memorable than our 3rd place finish. Even the most casual football fan will remember that result in 10 years time.
Agreed. I think some people here just want to pretend like it didn't matter (I want to as well in fairness) but in reality it's a historically fecking embarrassing scoreline against our biggest rivals. That's not going away for generations.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I'm assuming he meant the 4-4 game v Everton costing us the title.
Ah yes. Although you could also say the loss to bottom place Wigan (1-0) or Man City (also 1-0) was just as damaging.

Eriku

Meh. It’s an L from last season, that’s all. Liverpool lost to Villa 7-2 the season before, was it? Shit happens, who cares.

CallyRed

Some of the threads the OP creates, think he needs some time up a mountain without access to tech.

antohan

Ah yes. Although you could also say the loss to bottom place Wigan (1-0) or Man City (also 1-0) was just as damaging.
Yeah, what @Raw said

Fluke results like Wigan happen but deep in the run in you don't draw at home after being 4-2 with ten minutes to go. You just can't. It was a monumental feck up.

ShinjiNinja26

We don’t need to, that result was rendered irrelevant when they failed to go on and secure top 4. Let them enjoy their “we beat Man Utd” trophy and a Europa League spot. I was perfectly happy with 3rd and a trophy in the bag.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Yeah, what @Raw said

Fluke results like Wigan happen but deep in the run in you don't draw at home after being 4-2 with ten minutes to go. You just can't. It was a monumental feck up.
I’d say the 4-2 to 4-4 in 10 minutes is the fluke result. The 1-0 loss to Wigan was a piss take - look at these stats from the game:

• Wigan had lost all 14 previous meetings with Manchester United
  • United failed to score for the first time in 18 games in all competitions
  • United's last defeat in the league came 13 games ago - on 4 January - against Newcastle
  • The victory moves Wigan out of the bottom three for the first time since 2 October
  • United had won the previous 5 league games

Josh 76

This guy gets it!

Drizzle

Agreed. I think some people here just want to pretend like it didn't matter (I want to as well in fairness) but in reality it's a historically fecking embarrassing scoreline against our biggest rivals. That's not going away for generations.
Well it won't go away with people like you banging on about it still. It's just bizarre.

Nobody's underplaying it, it was terrible and embarrassing. It'll get brought up from time to time for a few years, sure. But in the end, they'd have swapped it to be in the CL draw this week, and you know it.

Josh 76

Wouldn't trust us to put 7 past a team of literal farmers, nevermind a PL team. But who cares, I'd rather we won trophies than worry about this sort of thing
I would take a 7-0 win against those feckers and finish in the bottom half of the league this season and no trophies.

Skills

Snitch
Unless Ten Hag wins a PL or a CL title, this result will be the one he'll be remembered for.

Finishing in the top 4 means the square root of feck all, unless we actually go and win the tournament we're celebrating qualifying for - or as a reach it propels us into winning the PL title.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We did lose 1-6 to City when Fergie was still in charge. I didn't remember a really "strong" response in the following match, though.
We won 8 of the following 9 games, barely conceding any goals in the process..

We drew to Southampton and lost 2-0 to Newcastle in a game that should have probably finished 5-0 after Liverpool.

El Zoido

We have to win trophies again. We’ll never avenge the individual result, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime score but to be honest it feels more likely Liverpool will do us 7-0 again before we stick 7 past them ourselves. We’re a club that tends towards these massive collapses in games, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see it happen again this season, against any one of the top sides.

antohan

I’d say the 4-2 to 4-4 in 10 minutes is the fluke result. The 1-0 loss to Wigan was a piss take - look at these stats from the game:

• Wigan had lost all 14 previous meetings with Manchester United
  • United failed to score for the first time in 18 games in all competitions
  • United's last defeat in the league came 13 games ago - on 4 January - against Newcastle
  • The victory moves Wigan out of the bottom three for the first time since 2 October
  • United had won the previous 5 league games
Freak result, you just described why we would be overconfident and not at the races.

A draw to Everton wasn't outrageous, the way it happened was.

Skills

Snitch
We have to win trophies again. We’ll never avenge the individual result, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime score but to be honest it feels more likely Liverpool will do us 7-0 again before we stick 7 past them ourselves. We’re a club that tends towards these massive collapses in games, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see it happen again this season, against any one of the top sides.
We weren't up until a few seasons ago.

We've opened the Pandora's box though and it's tough one to close.

miked99

We most likely never will, but I wish we would. Loads of people here making out like it's no big deal but of course it is. It was a humiliation of historic levels that is a stain on the name of our club and we'll be reminded of it for years and years to come.

I've been a fan since 1975 and I remember all the times we were absolutely awful, long before the good times came. But I've never watched us repeatedly roll over and die against the same opponent like that. 7-0, 0-5 at home, 4-0 away in the same fecking season. I don't care if we win the league the next six seasons in a row, I want revenge and I won't be happy until we get it.

James35

I’d say we are more likely to lose to them 7-0 again before I see us ever beating them by that score line.

Cans&Bans

Our most crushing defeat against Liverpool, ironically, happened in a season when their form was low.
Now that a new season has started and their form seems to have improved again, do we ever have a chance to make amends for that defeat?
Even if we win against them 10 times out of 10 from now, 7-0 is still one record for the history book and can only be amended by a similar victory.
Without reading the rest of the thread, the answer is no. An absolutely sickening moment in our history that