Would you be happy to see the Glazers sell to Saudi Arabia-backed owners?

Who would you rather have as United’s owners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedRepublic

I would not mind having the Saudis here to be frank as long as they have the clubs best in mind. Some people on here would be okey with having George Bush as our owner but if they’re muslim it’s a big no and they got blood on their hands. That’s xenophobia.

SecondFig

No. I'd rather we went bankrupt and re-startrd in the 8th division.

I dislike the glazers as much as anyone for all the money they've taken out of the club, and wish they'd piss off, but they're businessmen, not all the reprehensible politics the Saudis represent.
Ditto. I despise the Glazers, and want them out. But they're just shitty owners who are sucking money out of the club. They're not directly responsible for countless human rights violations and deaths.

To be honest, I don't want anyone to buy the club unless they're immediately going to institute some form of fan ownership

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My two cents is that its just amazing how people will shake fists about saudi ownership over human rights but buy nike t shirts who just lobbied against a bill in america which would have stopped them importing goods made with child labour.

People take the pr distractions they provide hook line and sinker, lauding them for posting pictures of black sports stars they sponsor in support of BLM whilst in the same week lobbying for the continuance of slavery happening right now.

People shop at primark who use child labour and adults working for 8 pence a day in india and bangladesh.

people will use tax dodging starbucks.

people will not raise much issue about warehouse conditions and keep shopping with amazon and sports direct.

people will use nestle products whos water bottling has caused multiple global droughts in some of the poorest areas of the globe.

i’d take saudi ownership over the glazers any day of the week, but dont really want it as it ruins the game and makes it uncompetitive. But just find it funny how people only apply ethics to certain scenarios rather than across the board. Smacks more of rhetoric than any sort of moral decision
Oh no, a Chuck Palahniuk book has come to life and started making trite points about consumerism. If only someone had realised that humans were inconsistent sooner.

At least now we know this whole discussion could have been avoided by us all buying a Kit-Kat and therefore opting out of criticising the ethics of anything ever again.

Yes I would be happy. Get the Saudis in. Not like America, or the UK for example are governing saints. They are all murdering bunch of liars so who cares about their moral compass.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Depends if you're talking strictly footballing terms.

If so, then yeah, they'll spend fortunes to get the best players.

But at what cost?

Personally, the evil that benefits the team I guess.

Horrible question. I'll struggle sleeping tonight thanks to OP :lol:

Having Arab owners would make us a powerhouse again, top signings and since they won't be bothered on the financial part it would all be focused on the success on the pitch. Sign me up any day.

I don't think anyone can claim higher ground on moral, that human rights statement is silly to me. Let's say if the British or Spanish crown owned any club would they say the same? I may be touching sensible subjects here but not being born in the UK or Spain I don't have any admiration for the royalty and reviewing history they are pretty much as bad, if not worst, than the Saudis.
Spot on. Brilliant post. All of these potential owners are as bad as each other.

Giggs86

Yes because I want us to have sugar daddy overlords for a change, unlike the leeches we have now.

No because they will rename our stadium to Etihad or some shit like that.

SAFMUTD

How do we know this? From every report I've read it's the Saudi Public Investment Fund that would buy United, not the royal family itself? It seems to me the Saudi PIF is very much in the business of making money, and definitely not 'wont be bothered on the financial part'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Investment_Fund

https://english.alarabiya.net/busin...owing-sovereign-wealth-fund-globally-Governor
I thought the hypothesis was having oil money to invest on the club, without that well it's pretty much the Glazers.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
All a moot point anyway. I don't see anyone thinking of buying the club until after the government revue. Possibility of 50+1 will drastically alter the value of ownership.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Yes I would be happy. Get the Saudis in. Not like America, or the UK for example are governing saints. They are all murdering bunch of liars so who cares about their moral compass.
And to make this just like the previous thread on Saudi ownership here comes some one not understanding that the Glazers are not the US or UK government. Someone will repeat it in a few posts and we'll go around in circles.

Roboc7

No wouldn’t want anything to do with the Saudi’s but it’s not an issue as they’ll buy Newcastle after the legal battle.

It also doesn’t make sense to spend £4-5b to buy Utd and then invest another £1b on the stadium. There would also be a lot more negative attention in buying Utd because of the money and status involved than Newcastle where there would be a lot more focus on reviving them. There’s no chance the Saudi’s will be buying Utd it’s just a lazy rumour that gets spread every so often.

Jezpeza

Your post is summed up by one word - whataboutism. Just because there's things worse or equally bad it doesn't make someone a hypocrite for speaking out against something.
It depends. If they claim its a moral decision it totally does.

If they just dont like the idea of saudi ownership of man utd then okay.

Crustanoid

No way. I hate the glazers as much as any fan but being taken over by a country, and a murderous regime would finally kill the soul of the club for good and anything gained on the football pitch would be as hollow as Chelsea and City’s achievements.

stw2022

So frying pan or fire are the only two options?
We don’t have options. We may as well be arguing which complete stranger we would want to buy the semi-detached at number 56.

I find it utterly bonkers fans think we have any influence over who buys the club

UpWithRivers

Some people would take a Hitler and Mussolini joint ownership and claim that Nestle are doing bad sht as well so its ok. Others want Santa Claus. All giving and ask for nothing in return. Im not sure either is viable.

George the Cat

Why would they buy us when they can get someone like Newcastle for 2 billion less?
I know that’s fallen through but they could go for let’s say Leeds for a lot less money.

Member 101269

Why would they buy us when they can get someone like Newcastle for 2 billion less?
I know that’s fallen through but they could go for let’s say Leeds for a lot less money.
A colleague from SA said they like the best

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
United would be a sportswashing/PR tool on a whole other level, though.

Plus, two billion won't make much of a difference to these guys - grotesque as it sounds.

lsd

The Oracle

It's the Saudis they are not in this for business sense. They want the flashiest toy to play with

Zen86

Some people would take a Hitler and Mussolini joint ownership and claim that Nestle are doing bad sht as well so its ok. Others want Santa Claus. All giving and ask for nothing in return. Im not sure either is viable.
Sad but true

Reiver

I'm not in favour of it and hope it doesn't happen. I don't think most people would need an investment in the history of the club to at least have a pause for thought about the prospect of being owned by the Saudis.
Since this subject was last such a hot topic, the Saudis have looked at buying another EPL club. Sure, they have the money to buy Utd, but they're probably one of a small group in the world that have the money to buy a lot of things, doesn't mean they will. As usual, there doesn't appear to be any hard evidence that the Saudis are going to buy the club, it's just the wish fulfillment of some people. Thankfully.

Withnail

We don’t have options. We may as well be arguing which complete stranger we would want to buy the semi-detached at number 56.

I find it utterly bonkers fans think we have any influence over who buys the club
But that extends to the whole forum and a good proportion of what's discussed in daily life.

You might aswell close your account, take a vow of silence and go live in a cave with that logic.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Having Arab owners would make us a powerhouse again, top signings and since they won't be bothered on the financial part it would all be focused on the success on the pitch. Sign me up any day.

I don't think anyone can claim higher ground on moral, that human rights statement is silly to me. Let's say if the British or Spanish crown owned any club would they say the same? I may be touching sensible subjects here but not being born in the UK or Spain I don't have any admiration for the royalty and reviewing history they are pretty much as bad, if not worst, than the Saudis.
I don't remember the Queen having a journalist beheaded and thrown in an acidbath when she was criticized in the news.

Withnail

Dunno. Personally, if i was called one by a random poster on a internet fprummit would be rather insignificant. Just my opinion though
Well, I suppose I took umbrage with the dismissive depiction of someone's opposition to the Saudi ownership as being due to their 'wokeness' when they had told you the reason was down to being part of one of the demographics who are being persecuted in Saudi.

This was after you said that anyone voting against Saudi ownership on this forum wasn't part of one of these groups. I found that a bit of a cnuty response to being shown to be wrong so I probably should have just said that.

troylocker

That would be going from bad, to good bye for me. Couldn't support a club owned by dictators with no respect for human rights.

Jazmodo

IF (Big IF) we have to settle for one of these two vultures,

I'd rather not be chopped into pieces & barbecued thanks.

Legislation to change ownership models is a much better 3rd option.

lsd

The Oracle
If they make it their first bit of business to behead Jon Moss I could be swayed towards their side

Jezpeza

Well, I suppose I took umbrage with the dismissive depiction of someone's opposition to the Saudi ownership as being due to their 'wokeness' when they had told you the reason was down to being part of one of the demographics who are being persecuted in Saudi.

This was after you said that anyone voting against Saudi ownership on this forum wasn't part of one of these groups. I found that a bit of a cnuty response to being shown to be wrong so I probably should have just said that.
Alan partridge shrug is back

Status
Not open for further replies.