Would you be satisfied if we only won the league?

Claymore

At the same time I am desperate to beat Madrid. To be 12 points clear at the top in England and Madrid 16 points (I think) away from the top in Spain we need to beat them to keep the pride in the premier league especially after City and Chelsea embarrassing themselves. If we beat Madrid, regardless of how much further we go, and win the league I would be delighted
Pride smide, way too much is made of this PL v La Liga thing and largely because their teams often do ours in the Europa cup as the attitude of our players/managers here is mainly rubbish for it. Yes we are top and they are second in their league but don't forget the current champions Chelsea were 6th place and beat Barcelona. Doesn't always mean a lot.

I want us to beat them just to beat them and because they are cun..

If offered the PL at the start of the season, I'd have said yes. But now, no - I'd prefer to roll the dice, take the small risk of finishing with nothing, and hope for a double or a treble.
Agree. The PL would be amazing every year but you can't help but get greedy when you realise we are close to a QF of the FA cup and got a half decent result against Madrid.

Insane.

You'd risk us undergoing the biggest collapse in memory to hand City a 2nd consecutive title so that we can get into the lottery of a couple of cup competitions?
He worded it 'small risk', doubt any United supporter would full on risk the title if it was in their hands to decide so. Same way I doubt SAF would full on risk the team lineup in PL games but you can bet he and the players are looking at it also. If he wasn't, then he wouldn't have rested Carrick v Everton AND he stated he was going to rest more prior to City dropping.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I think I would be happy with only winning the league. Winning that really is the big target for the season. Any cup we can also win as well is just a really nice bonus.

If I had to pick only one competion to win though, it would have to be the Champions league

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Theres no doubt that the EPL title is a highly rated. However let us not forget that the Busby Babes gave their very lives because the club/players were not satisfied with just winning the league. Thats food for thought to everyone

Dyslexic Untied

Yes.

For some reason I would almost prefer the FA to the CL as well. Been years since we've won one. I think we could do all three though, actually.

Castia

After what happened last season and the fact it will be the 20th tittle makes the league the most important thing for me by a mile. Obviously id like us to win all 3 but if we win the league I'll be buzzing.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Yes.

For some reason I would almost prefer the FA to the CL as well. Been years since we've won one. I think we could do all three though, actually.
The FA cup over the champions league?? No chances that I could prefer the FA cup over the Champions league.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We tend not to get out of bed for victory parades that involve anything less than three trophies.

buckooo1978

horseless paul - the fact you say that is why we should all be satisfied with the league

I'm 35 - grew up with the scousers winning year after year

its incredible what Alex Ferguson did to our club - some of the ups and downs in those early years were unbelievable

Easter monday at Anfield coming back to 3-3 with 10 men
the NYE game where we battered them, they went 1 up and we scored 3 in 8 minutes

its impossible to believe, especially in our FA Cup winning year where we finished somewhere like 13th, that we would have the success that followed

we have a good chance at a double but I'd always be satisfied with being Champions

Varun

Staff
Satisfied? Yes. But we almost have the league in the bag so i'd be delighted if we can add a cup to the mix.

Varun

Staff
We don't have the league in the bag. We had an 8 point lead with 5 games to go last season and lost it. Anything can happen.
Yep, hence the 'almost'. I dont see us fecking it up twice in a row though. SAF will take care of that.

Castia

The main thing I wanted to win this season probably more than ever before is the league after what happened last year. You have to be a fecking moron to not be 'satisfied' with a league win.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
I would only be satisfied if we won the league, the FA Cup, and on the night of the CL final against Barcelona..

Tydesley: It's still 1-1 and now we're into injury time. Can United score? They always score. Giggs whips in the corner... Rooney heads it.... And Scholes has won it!!!!

roxyfella

Real Fly Ox
Would you be satisfied if we only won the league?
Jesus fecking Christ :rolleyes: Who can remember the time when it was pure ecstasy to win a game? now it seems winning the league is not enough.

Varun

Staff
Oh ffs. He clearly says considering our really strong position atm, would people be satisfied or want more. Nothing at all wrong about that.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't really understand the question. If we were to go out of the Champions League and FA Cup would I be disappointed? Yes. If we won the league would that be a disappointing season? No. Both seem like fairly straightforward answers so where's the debate?

We're currently pissing all over City, how could that not be satisfying?

roxyfella

Real Fly Ox
Oh ffs. He clearly says considering our really strong position atm, would people be satisfied or want more. Nothing at all wrong about that.
Oh really, well forgive me for my error. Then yes...i would be satisfied if we won the league title.:smirk:

Havak

Pokemon master
I would. Even if the quality of the teams in the Premier League hasn't been as strong this season, with teams like City and Chelsea, winning the Premier League is a great haul and we should be delighted with every single one we can win.

However, I do think we're one of the three teams that think they can win the FA Cup this season. If we got knocked out by anyone other than City or Chelsea, I think that should be seen as disappointing (even though it would be sicking to go out to either of them, no matter if we smoke them in the league by over 12 points).

As for the Champions League, this one is more pot-luck. If we can get past Madrid and don't get too tough of a draw, then we've got every chance. But we'll have to evaluate that after the Madrid game. If we go out, then we might do a League and FA Cup double for the first time in ages.

Scots Crusader

Would I be happy with "just" the league. Hell yes!! I would be ecstatic if we did it with a record points total to really rub it in. It would then be orgasmic to win a double or a treble.

But if we win the league only, I will party like hell as it has to be the main focus every year, the rest for me are additional moments of happiness that United provide me with.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'd be fecking delighted if we won the league. Anything else is a bonus.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Satisfied, yes. Would be nice to win the FA cup, it's been a while.

CL would be a nice bonus.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Since we're out of the Capital one Cup or COC, I guess the League would be a nice alternative.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Surely everyone will be over the moon if we win the league? I don't believe for a second that there's people who look back at a title-winning season and think "you know what, we did well but it wasn't good enough, we should've won more". Maybe Sir Alex and the players but then that's a motivational tool that has practical value. Having that mindset is what makes these people successful. There's no reason for fans to think that way.

You're seriously saying if we win the league, that wouldn't be good enough?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
19-11-4-3
18-7-8-5
13-10-2-0
9-5-0-0
7-7-5-1
6-2-0-0
4-7-4-1

I'm going to go with the Premier League not being the hardest competition to win in the world. I guess technically we should do both from around 1994 when the Champions League turned into something we'd be used to. But I can't be bothered to work that one out.

ciderman9000000

And they say Utd fans are spoilt.
Are we supposed to pretend we're not spoilt? We are spoilt!

So we're used to winning more than one trophy, so what? Credit to the club and Sir Alex that the days of you miserable grandads from the 80's don't register with those of us who have only known success all our lives.

We've already won the league, and I'm delighted and proud about that, but I'd be lying if I said I'd be fully satisfied with being defeated in both the FA and CL cups. Yeah I'm spoilt, I'm a United fan in his 20's, of course I'm fecking spoilt.

The*treble is ON so much I can taste it with my eyes; this might not be a big deal to those self-flagellating fans who seem to love nothing more than to bang on about how crap we were before Fergie, but, feck that, it means a lot to me!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Well as long as you know cider that's the important thing.

It's the basic difference between wanting your team to win and accepting nothing less.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Anyone saying no needs to sort it out, arrogance of the highest order.

Then again maybe people are not quite grasping the question the OP essentially says if you finish this season with the PL title number 20 are you going to be dissatisfied. Any other title chasing or recently title chasing club would give their right arm to just win the league, to say you would be dissatisfied if you only won the league is madness.

Although Its understandable you might feel its a good chance to win a double or treble and be a bit disappointed if you say got the to one of the finals and lost, to be unsatisfied is a different thing.

I pray for those peoples souls that United never go into a Liverpool style period of no titles, because I fear they wont be able to last it!