Would you bring Dalot back?

roseguy64

Why would Trippier want to come here at his age when he's at a good club when he wouldn't appear to the the favourite for the position? Why would we be interested in such a player on significant money? He either plays or it's a massive waste of resources.

We kind of made this mistake with Telles, going for a safe pair of hands and then they never end up playing and you end up wondering why we went for that profile of signing.
Agree with this.

Trippier is 30. He's got a few good years left to be a starter which he currently is at Atletico. Why would he give that up to be a backup at Man Utd? It's not like he's playing at Fulham. He's the main RB at a regular CL club and gets in England squads.

Telles moved here because Shaw's position was shaky and we were gonna be raising his wages. I doubt we'd want to pay Trippier more than he's on now.

Wing Attack Plan R

No to bringing Dalot back. Williams still has a couple years before should really be nailing down a first team spot. He is progressing well. Dalot looked like a lost sheep when he played for us. His best game was when he was used as a winger.

RkkMan

Why would Trippier want to come here at his age when he's at a good club when he wouldn't appear to the the favourite for the position? Why would we be interested in such a player on significant money? He either plays or it's a massive waste of resources.

We kind of made this mistake with Telles, going for a safe pair of hands and then they never end up playing and you end up wondering why we went for that profile of signing.
He has one year left on his deal so he wouldn't cost "significant" money £15m at most which is pocket change especially if we manage to get at least £10m for Dalot.
He also has a young English family it's very plausible he'll want to spend the latter stages of his career back in his home country for a club he(apparently) supported growing up. If he knows he's as good as he is he'll relish the challenge of competing with AWB whilst helping him improve his attacking game at one of the biggest clubs in the world back in familiar surroundings.
And if you think Telles was a mistake two words "Brandon Williams" if you think he's an able back up to Luke Shaw your standards are in the gutter. Look at the depth City and Chelsea have at fullback but the supposed "Biggest club in the world" is gonna have such a difficult task rotating 4 good fullbacks with lots of games to play and with us practically being half the team without Shaw/AWB :lol:

RkkMan

If Milan are willing to fork over a decent sum to sign him permanently (around 20 million) i'd say we should jump on that offer.

He wont be picked ahead of Shaw/AWB and we have Williams and Laird as back ups
Laird is likely to be loaned out again and God help us if we're subjected to Williams being a back up he's this year's McNair/Blackett wouldn't make the reserves of a team like City/Chelsea

Devil81

I'd give him another season, the year away will have done him good so I'd maybe send Brandon Williams out on loan next season and let Dalot take his squad place or I'd sell Telles and let Williams understudy for Shaw.

Either way I think Dalot should be given another season to show what he can do.

Craig Ward

All for him staying. He was the most coveted young RB in Europe when we signed him.

It's hard league to adjust to and he's had injuries and we signed AWB ahead of him.

A loan was the right move and for a change, it's been a positive one.

Yes, Serie A is a poorer standard overall. But he;s played a lot in a good team and thats exactly what we needed.

He's better than Williams, who I never got the hype for and people keep hailing Laird is this world class prospect when he's barely ripping it up for MK Dons.

Dalot should stay, see how well he rotates at FB next year while Williams and Laird have loan moves. Dalow will either rise up and seriously compete with AWB or not, but he's earned the chance at a squad place for me

Falcow

Cut our losses I think. We might fetch £40m total for him, Lingard and Pierera. Put that towards the Harry Kane go fund me transfer appeal.

We'll always have Paris.

Robbo*

Would rather give games to Ethan Laird.
Agreed. Would like to see him eg v Fulham if possible, in pre-season and then see about a loan if that looks the best option.

RUCK4444

He will not get so much as 30 seconds of game time from AWB.

AWB is developing great going forward and is probably the best in Europe at closing down that right wing defensively.

Not only is Dalot shite he wouldn’t get a sniff.

It’s not even like he’s good competition for AWB.

dalriada

It's not as if we'd miss him particularly if we got a good offer for him, otherwise I don't see any harm in bringing him back into the squad. He's still young, but from his point of view he won't want to be a bit-part player.
Williams is better defensively (and currently some people's favourite player to characterise as "not good enough" or worse). Dalot is better when he gets forward but a big risk defensively. I almost wonder why he came to be a right back, he's more like an old style winger, which may be part of the problem.

I also had the strong impression that we landed him because Jose favoured Portuguese and Brazilian players, or just had it from his Portuguese connections that he was a good prospect, and saw him as a future replacement for Valencia.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Laird will have a chance to displace both Williams and Dalot. I guess let the better player win that position, but I won't be surprised if Ole will go for fullback alternative like in Telles case.

mu4c_20le

Dalot could very well turn out to be decent, but also not suited for the intensity of the PL. Would much rather take Lingard back than him

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
No to bringing Dalot back. Williams still has a couple years before should really be nailing down a first team spot. He is progressing well. Dalot looked like a lost sheep when he played for us. His best game was when he was used as a winger.
That is never happening. Dalot is already an upgrade on williams.

marktan

Telles was a good signing, he doesn't play in the league but he gives us some desperately needed depth in the cups. Especially for Shaw whose body would not be able to handle 50 games in a season.

An attacking RB to challenge Awb would be really useful - especially against teams that sit back.

R.e. Dalot it's a bit of a weird one, he's good at attacking but he's not really a good right back. He's more of a winger that's not good enough to be a winger, so plays at RB. Defensively he isn't good enough, nor is his final ball, but on the ball he is good. He's still young so will improve, but he probably needs one or two more loans to teams where he'll play regularly in his preferred starting position.

SAFMUTD

I'm not sure he's been that great at AC has he? I don't get to see much of Serie A though so I could be wrong.
He's been fairly ok for them considering he's on loan. Is a rotation option.

With that said I don't think that's even remotely close to challenge AWB.

SAFMUTD

Agree with the Dalot statement, just curious on why do you think Williams is progressing well, if anything I think he has regressed massively. He looked way better last season, this season has been a shit show from him.

Abraxas

He has one year left on his deal so he wouldn't cost "significant" money £15m at most which is pocket change especially if we manage to get at least £10m for Dalot.
He also has a young English family it's very plausible he'll want to spend the latter stages of his career back in his home country for a club he(apparently) supported growing up. If he knows he's as good as he is he'll relish the challenge of competing with AWB whilst helping him improve his attacking game at one of the biggest clubs in the world back in familiar surroundings.
And if you think Telles was a mistake two words "Brandon Williams" if you think he's an able back up to Luke Shaw your standards are in the gutter. Look at the depth City and Chelsea have at fullback but the supposed "Biggest club in the world" is gonna have such a difficult task rotating 4 good fullbacks with lots of games to play and with us practically being half the team without Shaw/AWB :lol:
No established players are attained for "pocket change", especially this summer with finances as they are, we also have to pay wages and we're talking about a 30 year old England international that is at a good team, we would not get him on the same financial package as attracted Telles. I am pretty sure the club would not share in this attitude that it is "pocket change". Any spending should be deliberated carefully to make sure we pursue players that are going to have the greatest impact. A right-back that on the face of it is second choice is hardly that - but I do take your point he adds competition and he is a different type of player. I am not saying it would be a rubbish signing, I am saying I don't really see that it is as big an attraction to him as you might think unless we assure him of decent game time and that it isn't neccessarily the ideal signing for us all things considered.

I don't see how the words "Brandon Williams" refute the idea that Telles was a mistake. They can be considered on their own merits. If Williams is poor in your judgment, that does not mean Telles was the right option simply by virtue of being better than Williams, that is a rather weak argument. I think Telles is an okay player, but my point is we bought a player of a certain profile that is unlikely to improve that pretty clearly is not close to being a genuine challenger for the spot. It is a signing that hasn't really stood out as having any kind of definable benefit beyond a body within the squad but there are dozens of players out there that represent a body in the squad that may have had other upsides. The first eleven is weakened quite a bit when he comes in and we don't have much improvement to hope for. I think Trippier is better but I don't think this eliminates the concerns I highlighted.

GueRed

Glazernomics would say keep him for back-up to Wan-Bissaka next season.

Be like signing a new player.

Champagne Football

Definitely get rid of Dalot if we get good bread for him, simply because if the board are gonna make a big name signing during a pandemic, then they're gonna have to offload any valuable squad players we have, like Jesse and Dalot and possibly Martial. I'd be happy to see those 3 sacrafised if it meant bringing a big name forward in.

Lewnited

Depends... Neither him nor Williams are at the level we'd want even for a back up. If I had to gamble on one I'd take Dalot, but neither should be getting games at their current level. Ideally, we'd look to get an experienced player who can step in to cover for 15-20 games a season, similar to the role Telles has played this year, but we have more important parts of the squad to address.

Williams will probably be playing lower prem or championship soon. Dalot had (initially) interest from Manchester United and now A.C Milan so I think pros see more in him.
Williams played more last season than Dalot did last seasons and the season beforehand.

that would suggest OGS (a Pro) thinks he’s a better prospect - and I would tend to agree.

We don’t know where either player will end up. But I’d rather have Williams than Dalot. Neither are starters.

MU655

Williams played more last season than Dalot did last seasons and the season beforehand.

that would suggest OGS (a Pro) thinks he’s a better prospect - and I would tend to agree.

We don’t know where either player will end up. But I’d rather have Williams than Dalot. Neither are starters.
Yet, Williams has only sub appearances this season despite only being injured for 22 days in February. Maybe he doesn't like Williams anymore.

Perhaps he will be looking at the other youth player (can't remember his name now).

Yet, Williams has only sub appearances this season despite only being injured for 22 days in February. Maybe he doesn't like Williams anymore.

Perhaps he will be looking at the other youth player (can't remember his name now).
laird.

we have a lot more cover this season with Telles and Shaw has probably had his most consistent season for us. The truncated natured of the season hasn’t really allowed much room for manoeuvre in terms of bloody players. Williams, Tuanzebe, Amed and Williams. Even Telles will attest to that.

SATA

His best moment for the club was taking that wild shot with his left foot in Paris which Rashford then converted the penalty to go through on away goals. Apart from that, not many memories but he barely played here to be fair

saivet

I'm not against keeping him if we can't get a good fee for him and actually using him as a rotation option. AWB never rests which isn't sustainable long term.

I would try to get shot of him and Williams and bring someone else in first though.

Wing Attack Plan R

Things to remember about Williams are that he is a left back (although in the first team he has been deployed as a right back) and that he is only 20. He won't be hitting his top form for a couple years. Even Gary Neville wasn't the finished article at 20 when he started playing regularly in the first team, and was routinely replaced by Denis Irwin switching to right back. If you have ever played full back, it is a really different experience playing on the opposite side, and I think Williams has done well so far, and I think he will improve.

Dalot is also still young, but two years older than Williams, and has shown nothing to support the idea he can make it in the Premier League. If Dalot is thriving in Italy, that's where he should continue to play his football.

Oranges038

Some people think William's isn't up to it, personally I don't think he is. There is cover needed for right back. But, there is no way should this lad who has already failed miserably should be brought back.