Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steffyr2

At least in previous years it was a chance to finish 4th, under Ole we are well and truly a mid table team. What on earth is he trying to fix? How many years does he need? Rodger came in saw the problems which were bad at Leicester and then made a few huge signings in areas they were lacking. 6 months later Leicester are 2nd. I think people are just accepting mediocrity purely because of our former players who keep banging on about not sacking a manager (not 1986 anymore) and secondly, Ole is ole. Such a shame.
I'm curious which is worse...Jose seeing what was needed for the club, not getting the players and then throwing a fit....OR...Ole maybe seeing what was needed, not getting the players and then doing a happy dance every week. I guess that the Jan window will show something.

Wilt

Other then the opposition fans who (quelle surprise) have overwhelming voted to keep Ole, I wonder how many others would still be supporting him if he was not an ex Utd player?

MrBest

I'm curious which is worse...Jose seeing what was needed for the club, not getting the players and then throwing a fit....OR...Ole maybe seeing what was needed, not getting the players and then doing a happy dance every week. I guess that the Jan window will show something.
But ole has the money? He said so himself. Unless he is covering, it is criminal he didnt spend in the summer. That was a key window where we need 4 or 5 players to come in.

mu4c_20le

I said in the match thread that I love the guy and that he's been shafted by the board and injuries, but a performance like that after eleven months in charge isn't acceptable for Manchester United. This is getting desperate now; we don't seem to have a game plan or a style of play; we have no leaders on the pitch; were are too reliant upon young kids who can't be expected to work miracles.
Lots of people having a go at the lineup, but the same formation nearly beat Liverpool, albeit with slightly different personnel. Sometimes you can have a gameplan and still get overrun.

NJM78

At this rate we will be lucky if we get 50 points this season. We are terrible and Ole as a manager is having a shocker. I still pray he resigns before it gets worse for him as he is already the worst manager we have had post SAF.
His ex player status is the only reason he is still here and his post match comments are becoming a farce.

Alabaster Codify7

Hardly surprising, is it?

Poor manager + poor coaching team + poor squad = poor performances and results.

It's not rocket science, is it?

The sooner this bizarre experiment is over, the better for the club in general. It was possibly worth a go, I won't hold it against the board or Ole too much for giving the bizarre experiment a shot. But it's time to pull the plug, now, before the damage gets any greater. Yes, the squad needs improvement, bigtime. But the same goes for the coaching staff and that's something we can actually change now.

Ole, Phelan, Carrick and McKenna all need to go. We need an upgrade on all of them.

Untd55

Some people seem to only need this. We might as well appoint a jester next.

AlwaysRed66

Interesting stat is that this is our lowest points total after 13 games played in our Premiership history. Three points worse than our previous worst amount. Obviously we will be challenging for the league soon. Not.

SteveW

Interesting stat is that this is our lowest points total after 13 games played in our Premiership history. Three points worse than our previous worst amount. Obviously we will be challenging for the league soon. Not.
We used to have Scholes, Keane, Carrick etc. Now we have Pereira and Fred. Is it really that surprising?

Other then the opposition fans who (quelle surprise) have overwhelming voted to keep Ole, I wonder how many others would still be supporting him if he was not an ex Utd player?

It isn't just that he's an ex-United player. Ole isn't just any old player, he's one of us and he lives and breathes the club. We can say that shouldn't matter, that only results should decide what we do. Perhaps so, but like or not, it's harder to sack a friend or family member than it is a stranger, and he will be given more understanding than other managers would. I don't have a problem with that; Ole deserves every chance to make it work, but I accept it isn't working at the moment. It's a difficult situation for all of us.

Cantona in disguise

I said in the match thread that I love the guy and that he's been shafted by the board and injuries, but a performance like that after eleven months in charge isn't acceptable for Manchester United. This is getting desperate now; we don't seem to have a game plan or a style of play; we have no leaders on the pitch; were are too reliant upon young kids who can't be expected to work miracles.

Like all United fans, I'm willing Ole to succeed, but how much longer do we give him? The squad simply isn't good enough; we are mid table team now. Do you give him the January transfer window or not? I'm torn on this, but I will say if you promised me someone like Pochettino tomorrow, I'd give him the job. We need a total re-build on the pitch, and we need that clown Woodward gone from the boardroom.

Ole will always be a legend, but I'm not convinced he can turn this around. That said, I'm not clammering for his sacking; I'm on the horns of a dilemma here.
Yeah I'm with you. I said at 15 minutes in to change shape and throw jones into midfield til half time. Then I think Neville said it around 30 mins in. If I can see it a simple solution surely ole should have worked it out.

I want him to succeed, I desperately do. I just cant see it now though.

Un4givableB

urghhh, and this a myth that needs to die. We didn't deserve a win from most of those games. There's massive bias here. If you think we deserved to win against Wolves because we dominated possession then by that token Leicester and Liverpool should have beaten us. There were barely any chances in that Wolves game other than an early Martial miss and a crap penalty (they also hit the bar in the game). The palace game was shite, as was Arsenal and Southampton were better than us on the day.
You don't get how it works for OGS fanboys when we win its proof of why he's the right man for the job when we lose, it's because of the players, bad luck, our poor midfield, our poor defence, injuries, Woodward etc, etc.
None of which OGS bears any reasonability for.

The simple truth is even very good managers might fail here or at any club, piss poor managers will certainly fail, all the wishful thinking by the fanboys will change the fact that OGS is not a good manager.

Wilt

It isn't just that he's an ex-United player. Ole isn't just any old player, he's one of us and he lives and breathes the club. We can say that shouldn't matter, that only results should decide what we do. Perhaps so, but like or not, it's harder to sack a friend or family member than it is a stranger, and he will be given more understanding than other managers would. I don't have a problem with that; Ole deserves every chance to make it work, but I accept it isn't working at the moment. It's a difficult situation for all of us.
Yep, I always knew come the time it would be difficult/painful to sack an ex Utd player, but this club is miles bigger than any one player/manager. We are regressing at an alarming rate and as Ole is always saying “this is Man Utd” so surely he himself should know we are not a mid table club.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We used to have Scholes, Keane, Carrick etc. Now we have Pereira and Fred. Is it really that surprising?
Yes I think it's pretty surprising that a team that finished 2nd 18 months ago can get this bad. I think it's surprising that we continuously get outplayed and beaten by worse teams than us.

Our squad is not vintage Utd but it's much better than what we are currently seeing.

mu4c_20le

You don't get how it works for OGS fanboys when we win its proof of why he's the right man for the job when we lose, it's because of the players, bad luck, our poor midfield, our poor defence, injuries, Woodward etc, etc.
None of which OGS bears any reasonability for.
That is actually pretty common. During Klopp's first season with Liverpool, he was credited with the wins and performances of his team, but when they dropped points it was because of the poor team and defensive/goalkeeper mistakes. Don't know why I felt the need to point it out to you but just in case you were serious and actually think people are blindly defending him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Imagine you're the owner of a business and you have your family member to take charge of that business but you stop profiting and start losing. Performances are very low and the predicted outcome will still have the business at a loss. But now there's someone out there competent enough to run your business and well enough to start making profit again and more profit that has been made in the last five years depending on how you support him? Would you fire your family member or not?

Popcorn

We have some good players, perhaps need a couple more midfielders and a right wing. Winning against Norwich doesn’t mean we have turned a corner. There is no coherent approach to our play and we are playing like a mid table side. The high quality of some of our players is the only thing saving Ole. To win consistently and being top 4 in this league now requires a top coach. For me, that’s not Ole. No point hanging around, if the top two coaches in world football are already taken, then get get the next best or take another punt on an up and coming manager that plays good football. How much worse can it get?

Mainoldo

Long term process. Short term pain for long term gain.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I noticed that we started to see away draws as good results. It is always something. "Liverpool had problems there", "City lost there", "they conceded only 6,7 goals", "they are above us on the table", "Wolves are our rivals".....
We have one away win this year ffs. Ole is setting us up like inderdogs in that away games. Man, we became real midtable club.
Lets keep Ole. Now i am curious how low he can get us.

peridigm

I don't think he'll be sacked, nor should he be, at least anytime soon. The problem is if we sack Ole and bring in a Poch or Allegri, we'll have the same issues we have now. Mid-table players in many areas with no direction from the club. We're just aimlessly appointing managers and buying players based off who is hyped up from the year before. A new manager will give us some instant results but nothing from the past 6 years has told me the next manager will be here for the long haul. We now have a manager that truly cares for the club and for most of the players but appears out of his league. You have to wonder how much of our current form is Ole's fault, or the fault of the coaching staff including Carrick, McKenna, and Phelan?
I think we've had the best summer transfer window in six years with regards to the players we bought. All three were major upgrades on who they replaced. I've resigned to the fact that we could finish anywhere from 8th-15th this season and it really doesn't matter to me if it's one or the other.

However, if the club are not going to give Ole the players he wants in January and in the summer window then they need to be prepared to sack him because it's not going to get any better with the current squad.

Imagine you're the owner of a business and you have your family member to take charge of that business but you stop profiting and start losing. Performances are very low and the predicted outcome will still have the business at a loss. But now there's someone out there competent enough to run your business and well enough to start making profit again and more profit that has been made in the last five years depending on how you support him? Would you fire your family member or not?
I know exactly what you're saying, but it isn't easy. Ole will be shown more patience, and rightly so, in my opinion. However, it can't go on indefinitely.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I know exactly what you're saying, but it isn't easy. Ole will be shown more patience, and rightly so, in my opinion. However, it can't go on indefinitely.
He definitely deserves time. For the sake of those that say we've hired the best managers and they didn't change the team. I feel the board is serious about giving the manager time this time around. Ole might probably be given another season even if we fail to be in Top six this season.

Karlos PFC

That is actually pretty common. During Klopp's first season with Liverpool, he was credited with the wins and performances of his team, but when they dropped points it was because of the poor team and defensive/goalkeeper mistakes. Don't know why I felt the need to point it out to you but just in case you were serious and actually think people are blindly defending him.
The huge difference is that Klopp on his 1st year took them to the europa league final by beating us and Dortmund after and progress was there for all to see.

Judas

Open to offers
It just baffles and confuses me that people think Ole is the one who should get more time, the least experienced and worst of the bunch. There's no logic to it.

Un4givableB

:eek: Comparing Klopp to OGS is just batsh*t crazy.

TommiHelm

He just isn't a good manager. All his titles with Molde were with record low point totals and with basically the best squads in the league (at least on par with Rosenborgs those seasons). The season before he left for Cardiff they finished 6th. Tor Ole Skullerud took over for the next season and went on to win the league with a record total of 71 points (30 match league).

Last season Molde finished 2nd on 59 points, with golden boy Haaland leading the line. This season they already won the league and are on route to 68 points, without Haaland.

Solskjær has done nothing in his managerial career to warrant getting this job. We've seen so many bad decisions both on and off the pitch already. He's had a year now, and we're worse than when he joined in my opinion.

I really wish he could be the Messiah everyone wished he would be, but it's time to realize he's not and do what needs to be done.

Castia

For today’s game sure but we’ve spent about 300m on midfielders. They’ve been available for most games and it doesn’t seem to matter if It’s Pogba or Pereira starting we’re constantly dropping points.

RUCK4444

People constantly asking for new managers, barely any suggestions as to who, smacks of the
“Sell my entire FIFA team, smash controller up” generation

JoaquinJoaquin

I don't think he'll be sacked, nor should he be, at least anytime soon. The problem is if we sack Ole and bring in a Poch or Allegri, we'll have the same issues we have now. Mid-table players in many areas with no direction from the club. We're just aimlessly appointing managers and buying players based off who is hyped up from the year before. A new manager will give us some instant results but nothing from the past 6 years has told me the next manager will be here for the long haul. We now have a manager that truly cares for the club and for most of the players but appears out of his league. You have to wonder how much of our current form is Ole's fault, or the fault of the coaching staff including Carrick, McKenna, and Phelan?
I think we've had the best summer transfer window in six years with regards to the players we bought. All three were major upgrades on who they replaced. I've resigned to the fact that we could finish anywhere from 8th-15th this season and it really doesn't matter to me if it's one or the other.

However, if the club are not going to give Ole the players he wants in January and in the summer window then they need to be prepared to sack him because it's not going to get any better with the current squad.
So your happy to go from 2nd to 15th in the space of two years? Wow, some of you deserve mediocrity.

JohnnyKills

I think Ole has done a good job in getting rid of the overpaid, under-performing players and bringing in three excellent replacements. The project is a good one and we should stick with it.

Having said that, if there's a better alternative available we should take it. Loyalty shouldn't come into it. It's about doing the best for United and their fans.

If the board think Pochettino is a better manager than Ole they should go for him and we should support them IMO.

JoaquinJoaquin

People constantly asking for new managers, barely any suggestions as to who, smacks of the
“Sell my entire FIFA team, smash controller up” generation
The fans who are completely deluded to think the magical fairytale of Ole turning us round to win trophies are probably worse tbh.

Shark

@NotShark
He definitely deserves time. For the sake of those that say we've hired the best managers and they didn't change the team. I feel the board is serious about giving the manager time this time around. Ole might probably be given another season even if we fail to be in Top six this season.
I’m tired of seeing this, at this point. I think there’s been more divide in the fan base than ever. No manager deserves time unless he earns it, Ole hasn’t earned it since that PSG game, he hasn’t even managed two league wins a row this season. Where does this deserving of time actually originate from, other than him being a legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.