Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

This is Klopp's FIFTH feckING SEASON!!!!!!!!

VISIBLE PROGRESS OVER 5 feckING SEASONS, DID OLE GET 5 feckING SEASONS?

Has Ole shown visible progress over 1 season, like Klopp did?

No, we're exactly where we were when he took over despite him spending £200m+ on new players.

You need to go and calm down, pal.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm a bit out of the loop these days, so can you expand on the transfer committe and who it involves?
We have one?

What we know is that there was some talk about the likes of Butt being involved (his supposed role was to recommend players already in our ranks who might fill roles you'd otherwise look elsewhere for, i.e. academy products who were ready to take the step up).

Other than that, the only tangible thing I've seen is that Ole himself has stated (see above) explicitly that he has the last word on who's brought in.

The idea that an actual "transfer committee" vetoed Maguire seems unfounded. If that's actually true, this "committee" was clearly formed before Ole was appointed, and who might be on it is anyone's guess. It seems likely that Jose wanted Maguire (and whoever else) but didn't get him for whatever reasons - but that a "transfer committee" made an informed decision to nix that deal is based on nothing at all as far as I know.

Alabaster Codify7

I assume the point is, if the "already known to be great" managers often couldn't transform a team within a season, why is it realistic to expect any other manager to be able do so?

Um, Klopp did improve them over one season. The details were given very clearly above. There was visible progress and improvement each season until it clicked, whereas Ole is showing nothing but treading water.

Thisistheone

We have one?

What we know is that there was some talk about the likes of Butt being involved (his supposed role was to recommend players already in our ranks who might fill roles you'd otherwise look elsewhere for, i.e. academy products who were ready to take the step up).

Other than that, the only tangible thing I've seen is that Ole himself has stated (see above) explicitly that he has the last word on who's brought in.

The idea that an actual "transfer committee" vetoed Maguire seems unfounded. If that's actually true, this "committee" was clearly formed before Ole was appointed, and who might be on it is anyone's guess. It seems likely that Jose wanted Maguire (and whoever else) but didn't get him for whatever reasons - but that a "transfer committee" made an informed decision to nix that deal is based on nothing at all as far as I know.
Yeah, I also wasn't aware we had one. The poster spoke as if it was well known though, so a bit confused.

romufc

No, we're exactly where we were when he took over despite him spending £200m+ on new players.

Yes actually. Even if I don't think Ole is the right man.

Under Jose, we were getting outrun by opponents and outplayed in bigger games.

Under Ole, we are alot more competitive in big games.

The players morale looks good, the team unity is better and heck some of the players have improved too.

If you are saying he spent £200 plus then since hes spent £200m our team has improved actually.

shaky

Um, Klopp did improve them over one season. The details were given very clearly above. There was visible progress and improvement each season until it clicked, whereas Ole is showing nothing but treading water.
Treading water may be your opinion. It certainly isn't fact. We are 3rd in the table taken from game 12 onwards this season, compared to 9th up to that point. Overall, it might add up to only 5th at the moment, but there is definite progress whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The poster spoke as if it was well known though, so a bit confused.
If we have a transfer committee of the sort, say, Liverpool used to have - this has been kept a secret from the public as far as I know.

And Ole's own comments would seem to contradict it. The Liverpool committee had actual powers beyond the manager, which ours - if it exists - can't have.

Ole probably consults with numerous people (scouts, coaches, whathaveya) as anyone would - but as far as anyone knows, he's a traditional British style manager (last of a dying breed) in the sense that he ultimately calls the shots on ins and outs. So-called "head coach" and DOF rolled into one - which has been the case in the entire Glazer era (and before that too, of course).

Jose's comments about being a "head coach" can't be taken literally. It's Jose. He didn't get what he wanted, and more importantly found himself struggling to deliver results, so he made a snide remark to protect his arse - as he would. Doesn't mean any actual authority on the football side overruled him in the sense implied by some.

Fredo

You broke my heart!

Did he have one full season yet? Where was the progress in Klopp's 8th finish compared to Rodgers 6th finish? If you call this progress you need a reality check, the progress was made over the course of 5 seasons, and this is a top manager we're talking about, already proven in the Bundesliga. Next time it's better to back your "progress claim" with at least some interesting insight.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If we have a transfer committee of the sort, say, Liverpool used to have - this has been kept a secret from the public as far as I know.

And Ole's comments would seem to contradict it. The Liverpool committee had actual powers beyond the manager, which ours - if it exists - can't have.

Ole probably consults with numerous people (scouts, coaches, whathaveyou) as anyone would - but as far as anyone knows, he's a traditional British style manager (last of a dying breed) in the sense that he ultimately calls the shots on ins and outs. So-called "head coach" and DOF rolled into one - which has been the case in the entire Glazes era (and before that too, of course).

Jose's comments about being a "head c from each" can't be taken literally. It's from Jose. He didn't get, what he wanted, and more importantly, found himself struggling to deliver results, so he made a snide remark to protect his arse - as he would. Doesn't mean any actual authority on the football side overruled him in the sense implied by some.
Do we even have a transfer committee installed?

I remember discussions taking place last year involving Rio, Fletch, Evra, and I believe Scholes was also approached, but it never extended beyond words unless I'm mistaken.

Treading water may be your opinion. It certainly isn't fact. We are 3rd in the table taken from game 12 onwards this season, compared to 9th up to that point. Overall, it might add up to only 5th at the moment, but there is definite progress whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
"Meh", we had a super shit start to the season granted, but the "3rd in the table since game" stat is something of a red herring @shaky (as it often is when we start handpicking dates to fit our argument). We've still only been amassing points at a miserable 1.7 points per game between game 12-28, and increase of just 0.52 points per game over that first 11 games. That x 38 games a shite 64 points that in almost every Premier League season get you a 6th position.

Fail to win vs. City and Spurs in our next two games and we're picking up just 1.52 points between games 12-30.

We're 3rd in that time spell because our rivals have been fecking miserable and because you've picked dates that fit in nicely with your argument, not because we are showing any definite signs of progress as you are trying to make out.

Come back after 38 games and we'll see then, hopefully it'll be an argument you can genuinely make then.

passing-wind

Okay so getting to the final counts or winning it?

And it was his 4th season (last year) that they won the CL, I don't see your point, he was bang average when he had an average squad, for all the heavy-metal football he celebrated 2-2 against Stoke... just because we are seeing Liverpool have a strong squad after 5 seasons of preparation doesn't mean that Ole is not fit for the job etc etc like most people here are claiming despite the guy not getting a full season with us just yet. So many posters here seems to have started supporting United when we had Cristiano and know nothing about club rebuilds and the shit times we had to go through over all those years...
Absolute travesty of a post :lol: getting to a Europa League final and a domestic cup final with minimal spend and squad transition is a success, not winning the competition doesn't account for much because it shows that Klopp is an effective manager even when the resources are at best minimal. To simplify it even further, if Klopp got to two finals with a weakened ridiculous squad, it's no suprise when he began to materialize his own team that they are on course to win the league / having won a UCL trophy. Because despite Liverpool spending money Jürgen always had the potential and capabilities to win top honours, can the same be said for our current manager ?

Compare this to the concensus with Solskjaer and fans only rate Ole if we spend 500 million before he can be adequately judged on his accountability as a manager of the team. This is almost evidently the same argument that supported the likes of Mourinho. Giving a manager time doesn't equate to a successful rebuild, there are short term goals within the process of restructuring a team that the manager needs to achieve to measure their present success. This not not only allow us to compete at a relevant level but also provides commercial sustainability (look at the confides of the kit deal).

Some of the levels of support for Solskjaer is an absolute embarrassment, this isn't a rebuild of Leicester or Tottenham we are historically the biggest club in English football but many fans have a small impoverished mentality. There is nothing about Solskjaer's management to suggest he will be a long term success here, that was completely different with Klopp, hence SAF said Liverpool would win the league with him at the helm. I'd rather take the opinion of the best manager since footballs inception compared to sentimentality of fans.

If Ole gets top four he stays, if we miss out he should go.

Did he have one full season yet? Where was the progress in Klopp's 8th finish compared to Rodgers 6th finish?
@Fredo, Klopp took over Rodgers team mid-season in 12th, not fecking 6th, and he took them 4 places up the league by the end of the season. Then he took them a further 4 places up the league in his first full season. If you don't call that progress, then it's YOU who needs the reality check pal.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I remember discussions taking place last year involving Rio, Fletch, Evra, and I believe Scholes was also approached, but it never extended beyond words unless I'm mistaken.
It did not as far as I know - nothing official has been announced.

And again, Ole has stated recently in no uncertain terms that he has the last word on transfers.

With regard to the business with Maguire (and possible other targets) during Jose's last window, I'd sum that up as follows:

The player(s) Jose had targeted weren’t made available to him. Which, in turn, could be explained in any number of ways: a) too expensive as per some definition or other, b) too much hassle with the deal(s) as such, c) Ed and Jose falling out, d) genuine incompetence on the part of the people trying to make the deal happen, e) boue.

None of it indicates that Jose was overruled as the number one decision maker on the football side. The latter is his spin on it (“I’m just a coach”). The corresponding spin on Ed’s side is the “briefing” indicating that we would’ve gladly paid 100m for Varane.

It means nothing - just posturing/damage control for personal reasons, it doesn’t indicate that the manager is not, in fact, in charge of recruitment: yet again, Ole has recently said explicitly that he is in charge of recruitment.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looking back Klopps progress was pretty tangible over the last say 4 or 5 years, but for a long time he had plenty of critics and doubters.
Not much difference to Ole in a way, the only obvious difference (and it is a big difference) is that Klopp had his record with Dortmund to fall back on whilst he altered and sorted his squad out.
If we get top four or win the Europa league whilst being close to it, and play the kind of football we’ve played the past few weeks, I’m sure even most of Ole’s biggest doubters will be happy.
It’s just a big if at the moment.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Oh great! Another poster bringing Klopp into it. There is visibly nothing remotely similar in Ole and Klopp's paths. I keep saying this and will say again, this season has been a poor season for most top teams bar Liverpool. We have actually underachieved, with our team and squad, we're not going to competing, but we should comfortably be 3rd or 4th. There is a big difference between competing for 4th and being comfortably in the top 4. £200 million has been spent. A competent manager would have us 3rd with this squad.
Chameleon, the idea was to compare their starts, and despite Klopp's boasting a far better managerial record, he struggled with Liverpool at first and over 5 seasons he made them click, so the idea is that even top managers need the right squad to compete on all fronts. We underachieved with a thin squad ravaged by injuries and the core player of this squad was injured/out for a while (Pogba). I don't know why people were expecting us to overachieve with this squad since the beginning of the season. Compare our players on paper to the top 4 club players and tell me who would make their squads, it's just a matter of accepting our current status and working to build up. We have a somehow solid backline now with Maguire and AWB (which we have been lacking for many seasons now), our midfield looks a bit better (rejuvenated Fred, class Bruno, hardworking Scott), strikers, well we don't have the best but we don't have the worst either, so there is progress taking place and this process will not take us to the top positions in 1 season, so trust the process. 200 million has been spent yes but almost half of the 200 million was to get a defender, so I am not really understanding what you wanted to say in your 200 mil statement.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
@Fredo, Klopp took over Rodgers team mid-season in 12th, not fecking 6th, and he took them 4 places up the league by the end of the season. Then he took them a further 4 places up the league in his first full season. If you don't call that progress, then it's YOU who needs the reality check pal.
Progress is made over the 5 years he's been there, not because he took them 4 places up in a season where they threw the towel under Rodgers. Ole took the same squad from Jose and beat the best starting record at the club, what did it mean for us this season? I am not taking anything away from Klopp as he is just a better manager, but to say that his impact was direct etc is just too much. Klopp has spent 424 million pounds to get this squad, 23 players till he was able to implement the tactics, vision and football LFC are currently playing. If progress is only made by the finishing position, then let us wait till end of this season and judge Ole, we finished 6th last year, so anything better than 6 this season should be considered progress based on your logic.

Looking back Klopps progress was pretty tangible over the last say 4 or 5 years, but for a long time he had plenty of critics and doubters.
Not much difference to Ole in a way, the only obvious difference (and it is a big difference) is that Klopp had his record with Dortmund to fall back on whilst he altered and sorted his squad out.
If we get top four or win the Europa league whilst being close to it, and play the kind of football we’ve played the past few weeks, I’m sure even most of Ole’s biggest doubters will be happy.
It’s just a big if at the moment.
Chameleon, the idea was to compare their starts, and despite Klopp's boasting a far better managerial record, he struggled with Liverpool at first and over 5 seasons he made them click, so the idea is that even top managers need the right squad to compete on all fronts. We underachieved with a thin squad ravaged by injuries and the core player of this squad was injured/out for a while (Pogba). I don't know why people were expecting us to overachieve with this squad since the beginning of the season. Compare our players on paper to the top 4 club players and tell me who would make their squads, it's just a matter of accepting our current status and working to build up. We have a somehow solid backline now with Maguire and AWB (which we have been lacking for many seasons now), our midfield looks a bit better (rejuvenated Fred, class Bruno, hardworking Scott), strikers, well we don't have the best but we don't have the worst either, so there is progress taking place and this process will not take us to the top positions in 1 season, so trust the process. 200 million has been spent yes but almost half of the 200 million was to get a defender, so I am not really understanding what you wanted to say in your 200 mil statement.
Took over mid-season: 12th
Finished: 8th
First full season: 4th
Second full season: 4th
Third full season: 2nd
Fourth full season: 1st

Tangible progress every single step of the way @Fredo and @Dec9003 but you both know this already.

I won't bring the win-percentage or points totals into it cause then it gets embarrassing for anyone making this daft comparison.

So nothing like Ole currently who:

Took over mid-season: 6th
Finished: 6th
First full-season: currently joint 5th-6th (maybe lower if Sheff U win their game in hand).

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Watford are 1st in the table taken from game 28 onwards.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Absolute travesty of a post :lol: getting to a Europa League final and a domestic cup final with minimal spend and squad transition is a success, not winning the competition doesn't account for much because it shows that Klopp is an effective manager even when the resources are at best minimal. To simplify it even further, if Klopp got to two finals with a weakened ridiculous squad, it's no suprise when he began to materialize his own team that they are on course to win the league / having won a UCL trophy. Because despite Liverpool spending money Jürgen always had the potential and capabilities to win top honours, can the same be said for our current manager ?

Compare this to the concensus with Solskjaer and fans only rate Ole if we spend 500 million before he can be adequately judged on his accountability as a manager of the team. This is almost evidently the same argument that supported the likes of Mourinho. Giving a manager time doesn't equate to a successful rebuild, there are short term goals within the process of restructuring a team that the manager needs to achieve to measure their present success. This not not only allow us to compete at a relevant level but also provides commercial sustainability (look at the confides of the kit deal).

Some of the levels of support for Solskjaer is an absolute embarrassment, this isn't a rebuild of Leicester or Tottenham we are historically the biggest club in English football but many fans have a small impoverished mentality. There is nothing about Solskjaer's management to suggest he will be a long term success here, that was completely different with Klopp, hence SAF said Liverpool would win the league with him at the helm. I'd rather take the opinion of the best manager since footballs inception compared to sentimentality of fans.

If Ole gets top four he stays, if we miss out he should go.
"not winning the competition doesn't account for much because it shows that Klopp is an effective manager even when the resources are at best minimal."

Okay so Ole is also good because he dealt with a thin/injured squad and is still keeping us in top4 chance, EL and League cup?

Fredo

You broke my heart!

Tangible progress every single step of the way @Fredo and @Dec9003 but you both know this already.

I won't bring the win-percentage or points totals into it cause then it gets embarrassing for anyone making this daft comparison.

First full-season: currently joint 5th-6th (maybe lower if Sheff U win their game in hand).
Again, nobody is saying that no progress was made, but it didn't come over 2 months, 3 months, etc... 424 million pounds spent, big clear-out, 23 players signed.

Do we even have a transfer committee installed?

It did not as far as I know - nothing official has been announced.

And again, Ole has stated recently in no uncertain terms that he has the last word on transfers.

With regard to the business with Maguire (and possible other targets) during Jose's last window, I'd sum that up as follows:

The player(s) Jose had targeted weren’t made available to him. Which, in turn, could be explained in any number of ways: a) too expensive as per some definition or other, b) too much hassle with the deal(s) as such, c) Ed and Jose falling out, d) genuine incompetence on the part of the people trying to make the deal happen, e) boue.

None of it indicates that Jose was overruled as the number one decision maker on the football side. The latter is his spin on it (“I’m just a coach”). The corresponding spin on Ed’s side is the “briefing” indicating that we would’ve gladly paid 100m for Varane.

It means nothing - just posturing/damage control for personal reasons, it doesn’t indicate that the manager is not, in fact, in charge of recruitment: yet again, Ole has recently said explicitly that he is in charge of recruitment.
Hang on @Chesterlestreet & @Random Task @Thisistheone this has been confirmed.* I'm not just making things up ffs. :lol:

The committee is made up of:

Head Coach (Ole), Assistant Manager (Mike Shorts), Technical Chief Scout (currently Mick Court), Head of Global Scouting (currently Marcel Bout) and Chief Scout (currently Jim Lawlor).

Each man has a vote, each man has a veto.

Ole has never said the bolded either, just that he has final say, cause in essence he does as he has a veto so no-one comes in or out without his final ok.

*"The decisions related to recruitment are all taken by football experts. My involvement is signing off the money.

“The manager has a veto on a player - we would never sign a player the manager wouldn't want because he wouldn't play him. But we also feel the recruitment department, the football experts, should have a veto too.

“I don't get involved in recruitment like people think I do. There's a myth that I look at YouTube and choose players. I don't. Having an eye for players is an art. I have no interest in doing that.

“I just want to have a disciplined process because if you are spending a lot of money on a player you have to make sure you get more right than wrong.

“Where I get involved is that I have to sign off the money, yet when you have target one, two or three from your process I feel fine going after the number one target and, if it's not to be him, then number two or three.
“The system wasn't set up in the right way. Twelve scouts reporting to one chief scout was more set up to say no — too many exceptions to the process were made historically while this was being fixed.

“We also have to hold our hands up and say that recruitment wasn't at its best in recent years. We feel that we now know who our best scouts are.

“The idea is to recruit in a closed environment, rather than listening to the press or getting distracted by conflicting agents' claims. We try and make cold decisions based on information.

“Judge the recruitment department in the coming windows where hopefully we can get a team to be at the level we want to be.”

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Of course, it's just my opinion. I don't see definite progress though, personally.

Again, nobody is saying that no progress was made, but it didn't come over 2 months, 3 months, etc... 424 million pounds spent, big clear-out, 23 players signed.
Erm, the whole fecking point was that massive progress WAS made over a matter of months, within 20 months he took them from 12th to 4th, and with nothing like that spend in bold and nothing like Ole's current spend.

In almost 15 months Ole has taken United from 6 to 6.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Totally agree with this, fans should get a reality check. It is not like we did not create chances yesterday to win the game, but we come with a plan to Goodison and after 3 minutes we fall behind to a fluke of a goal. This changed the whole game as all of a sudden we need to settle in the game AND score the soonest to level it up... If we put our chances of the second half in the net we would have seen most comments here "Yes we grinded out the result, Fantastic away win, well done lads, Ole is good, Ole managed this well etc etc..."

Everton were unbeaten for a while there and they look much better under Ancelotti, so to come back and level up AND look the team that is most likely to win it is not so bad, like any other fan we want the three points YES but with the way the game started it did not help our cause much, but credit for us pushing for the winner and not looking to settle for 1-1 win like we used to before under other managers... trust the process this is the first time we play decent football for a fecking while AND with the players that we would like to see on the pitch, summer is coming and we will be active in the transfer market to make this team even better. Despite our shitty start and the lack of depth of the squad, we were still able to beat to top teams in the league, we are almost there with this squad. Klopp's team finished 8, 4 and 4 in the first 3 seasons, they are where they are today because they took their time to get rid of players and get adequate ones, we are in the process now. People talk about getting Pochettino who has won absolutely nothing in the PL despite being in the league for 5 fecking seasons and are quick to ask for Ole to be sacked after 2 seasons roughly in the league, with a whole squad to rebuild, get a grip people.
Is that why he took of a striker for a defender in order to play with 5 at the back with 10 minutes to go? And as far as Poch goes answer this honest question
If both Ole and Poch were unemployed right now which out of the 2 would end up managing a big club. Be honest.

passing-wind

"not winning the competition doesn't account for much because it shows that Klopp is an effective manager even when the resources are at best minimal."

Okay so Ole is also good because he dealt with a thin/injured squad and is still keeping us in top4 chance, EL and League cup?
You can see at the very tail end of my post if we got top four, Ole deserves time it would be illogical to sack him having met that league objective. If the club reaches the europa league finals and a domestic competition final it might not be a success objectively for the club but it's definitely a form of success for Solskjaer, I would give him credit on that basis entirely.

There is a difference though in this comparison with Liverpool as Klopp had a far worse team than the one Ole inherited and hadn't spent a dime on incomings. Solskjaer is already 200 million deep so he needs something to show for it. If we accredit Klopp for finishing 8th in his first season despite not having a full season than the same should be for Ole meaning he has a 6th place finish to his name. If after finishing 6th last season we don't finish 4th despite investment that's already a decline in progression.

Woodward might be spewing out all this longevity nonsense but I think deep down Solskjaer knows he as well as the team needs results. The Glazers are just as cut throat as an Abramovic / Perez they just wait for it to be financially viable to avoid further compensatory fees.

Dec9003

I do know it already, if you read the first line of my post I actually say it.
I think my post was fair and balanced, if you think it’s daft then that’s up to you.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Erm, the whole fecking point was that massive progress WAS made over a matter of months, within 20 months he took them from 12th to 4th, and with nothing like that spend in bold and nothing like Ole's current spend.

First full 2 seasons (transfers post season end in 2016 and the 2017 transfers) he signs the following players

Sadio ManéSouthampton£30,000,00028 June 2016
Loris KariusMainz 05£4,700,0001 July 2016
Joël MatipFree TransferFree1 July 2016
Ragnar KlavanAugsburg£4,200,00020 July 2016
Alex ManningerFree TransferFree22 July 2016
Georginio WijnaldumNewcastle United£25,000,000 *22 July 2016
Mohamed SalahRoma£43,900,000 *22 June 2017
Dominic SolankeChelsea£4,000,000 *1 July 2017
Andy RobertsonHull City£10,000,000 *21 July 2017
Alex Oxlade-ChamberlainArsenal£35,000,00031 August 2017

6 players signed first season, 4 players signed the second season.

Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum, Salah, Robertson, Oxe are 5 guaranteed starters (bar ox) in the current season, so I wish you understand what is meant by progress. This is half of the LFC squad that is playing today, acquired 3 seasons ago.

Compare this to Ole's first season signings, Maguire, AWB, James. Bruno and Odion cannot be judged now as they joined mid-season, you will not see the same big progress when we were only able to strengthen the defense in summer and we managed to get a good midfielder in Jan and plus the season is not over, maybe we will jump to 4th and then I will see your posts talking about about our progress ;)

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Is that why he took of a striker for a defender in order to play with 5 at the back with 10 minutes to go? And as far as Poch goes answer this honest question
If both Ole and Poch were unemployed right now which out of the 2 would end up managing a big club. Be honest.
Maybe because Martial was carrying an injury (hamstring if I recall) and the fact that Everton became really dangerous in the final 10 minutes?

To answer you, Poch would be the one to get it but again he hasn't been approached by any big club yet despite so many big clubs being in crisis....

First full season (transfers post season end in 2016) he signs the following players

So @Fredo first full season he spends a shit tonne less than Ole and takes a team he took over mid-season in 12th to 4th, amassing 76 points.

Ole spends a shit tonne more and takes a team he took over mid-season in 6th to currently 5-6th, amassing a pathetic projected 57 points.

Yup, pretty much the same. You guys invoking Klopp do yourselves absolutely no favours.

Dec9003

"Not much different to Ole" was not fair and balanced at all, it's blinkered.
I think you’ve misunderstood me, I don’t think they’ve neccesarily done a similar job so far (Klopp had them top four in his first full season, it’s yet to be seen if we can do this) the similarity was in how Klopp was doubted and Ole is being doubted.
Like I said, Klopp had his record to fall back on, Ole doesn’t.
Please don’t call me blinkered without understanding what I’ve said.
You’ve been putting people on blast for the past few days mate, if you want to have a reasonable chat about Ole and United I’m happy to, if not I’m sure someone else will argue endlessly with you.

romufc

How about you judge over the same time period. Give Ole will the end of the season and then judge him.

If he gets top 4 then its progress, if he doesn't then he needs to go.

UnofficialDevil

First full 2 seasons (transfers post season end in 2016 and the 2017 transfers) he signs the following players

Mohamed SalahRoma£43,900,000 *22 June 2017
Dominic SolankeChelsea£4,000,000 *1 July 2017
Andy RobertsonHull City£10,000,000 *21 July 2017
Alex Oxlade-ChamberlainArsenal£35,000,00031 August 2017

6 players signed first season, 4 players signed the second season.

Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum, Salah, Robertson, Oxe are 5 guaranteed starters (bar ox) in the current season, so I wish you understand what is meant by progress. This is half of the LFC squad that is playing today, acquired 3 seasons ago.

Compare this to Ole's first season signings, Maguire, AWB, James. Bruno and Odion cannot be judged now as they joined mid-season, you will not see the same big progress when we were only able to strengthen the defense in summer and we managed to get a good midfielder in Jan and plus the season is not over, maybe we will jump to 4th and then I will see your posts talking about about our progress ;)
That post is actually bad for Ole. It shows that Klop only spent 153m in two seasons showing progress were as Ole has already spent more than 200 in one season with no progress.

romufc

That post is actually bad for Ole. It shows that Klop only spent 153m in two seasons showing progress were as Ole has already spent more than 200 in one season with no progress.
Actually, since he spent the £200m there has been progress. He only spent £200m as of January.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Ole reminds me so much of Di Matteo. He is tactical not a brilliant manager, but if you give him the right players, he will do well.

I want more than that from my manager. If Nagelsman and Pochettino are attainable in the summer, they have a better footballing philosophy and promote youth development. It would be perhaps one of the worst decisions to overlook them to keep Ole.

Funny thing is that, even though I don’t think highly of Ole as a manager, I would prefer to keep him over Allegri, Simione and managers that has boring uninspiring tactics. We already have a manager here that offers that and at least he understands United DNA. Give him the right players and we could do what Di Matteo accomplished at Chelsea. Depends on how lucky we are to be honest.

I think you’ve misunderstood me, I don’t think they’ve neccesarily done a similar job so far (Klopp had them top four in his first full season, it’s yet to be seen if we can do this) the similarity was in how Klopp was doubted and Ole is being doubted.
Well every single manager in the World is "doubted" so they are all similar to Klopp or Ole in that way. But Klopp had his side picking up 76 points in his first full season whereas Ole will be lucky to get 60, Klopp spent a hell of a lot less doing so also.

UnofficialDevil

Maybe because Martial was carrying an injury (hamstring if I recall) and the fact that Everton became really dangerous in the final 10 minutes?

To answer you, Poch would be the one to get it but again he hasn't been approached by any big club yet despite so many big clubs being in crisis....
You said we were going for the win and not settling for draw. We took off a striker for a defender with 10 minutes to go. Poch hasnt been approached by a big club maybe that's because he is lined up for us in the summer.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
So @Fredo first full season he spends a shit tonne less than Ole and takes a team he took over mid-season in 12th to 4th, amassing 76 points.

Ole spends a shit tonne more and takes a team he took over mid-season in 6th to currently 5-6th, amassing a pathetic projected 57 points.

Yup, pretty much the same. You guys invoking Klopp do yourselves absolutely no favours.

Gentlemen, 200 Million, 95 goes to Maguire because Leicester are fecking cnuts and we were in deep need to buy, so that's half of the transfer money spent on one player, but yeah sure let's blame Ole because he took your family's money and used it to buy Maguire...

The market value in 2016-17 is different to what it is today, and everytime we are linked to a player we have to pay at least 20 mil extra just because we are Manchester United.

So in terms of amount spent, your argument is pointless when half of it went on one single player.

Darlington Padgett

How about you judge over the same time period. Give Ole will the end of the season and then judge him.

If he gets top 4 then its progress, if he doesn't then he needs to go.
Top 4 is not progress unless we finish with more than 66 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.