Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvored

The problem with all forums is that if someone disagrees with whatever has been posted, they will declare the post as rubbish or the forum has gone to the dogs. No problem, that’s human nature. Back to the issue of Ole. Well, I feared for him in the Autumn especially when Pogba went lame again but he and his staff have got their heads down and it has improved both in footballing terms and results. He did say it would take time and it is improving. The point has been made elsewhere that Ole, unlike previous managers, isn’t beholding to any particularly agent like Mourinho and LVG were so we haven’t bought overpriced no-hopers since. Only my opinion of course. Give Ole another season I say. If they sack him and bring in Poch, it’s back to square one and two years from now nothing will have changed . I still maintain losing David Gill had a catastrophic effect on the club which we still haven’t got a grip of. Keep Ole.
Thats the truest thing on this site you will ever read

Josep Dowling

Curious what people thought was a good season before a game was played?

And what would be a good season now.

Before the season started I thought top 4 had to be a must, unlikely to make 1st or 2nd. And would be good to win a cup or have a decent cup run at the very least.

Chairman Steve

We should reassess at the end of the season. I will say Bruno coming in has absolutely helped because we now have an attacking midfielder who can make things happen. People are going nuts like this exact time last year when we got all giddy about beating PSG over two legs (myself included) The results after that were grim to say the least.

So I remain hesitant to fully embracing OGS. I have seen many false dawns in these post SAF times. I remember when LVG went to Anfield and put on the most convincing Utd performance I’ve ever seen, then smacking City silly at OT followed by losing 3-0 to Everton away and losing at home to WBA.

Beating City means nothing if you can’t beat the likes of Palace or Burnley at home. We sadly don’t get more points for beating the best teams. He has to be consistent with these results. He needs to figure out these teams who aren’t going to attack his team and therefore the onus is on us to break them down and have possession, whilst that team relies on counter attacking opportunities.

I will put forward this probably impossible scenario where if we got the likes of Sancho, Grealish and any other of these realistic-ish signings regardless of Champions League then I’d be tempted to let him stay for next season... BUT the expectations will be ramped up significantly. I feel like we’re being very lenient with him because of his stature with the club. If we end up in a situation where we have these amazing signings and OGS is the manager, then we should objectively treat him as if he’s LVG or Jose... because he’d have had as much as they did to spend on players at that point and regardless of his player stature, he should judged equally against those guys.

ReddBalls

We should reassess at the end of the season. I will say Bruno coming in has absolutely helped because we now have an attacking midfielder who can make things happen. People are going nuts like this exact time last year when we got all giddy about beating PSG over two legs (myself included) The results after that were grim to say the least.
Circumstances a little different now, no? Players were falling like flies due to injuries in that time, and the team that played PSG had a lot of reserves and youth in it. Right now there is no new injuries, the squad seems fitter and we even have players coming back like Pogba and hopefully Rashford.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Before the season started I thought top 4 had to be a must, unlikely to make 1st or 2nd. And would be good to win a cup or have a decent cup run at the very least.
You were in the minority then.

We began the season with probably the weakest midfield of the top 10 clubs. To find ourselves only 3 points behind fourth at this stage is somewhat of an achievement all things considered.

Ole deserves credit for that if you ask me.

passing-wind

Agree.

I'm still in the unimpressed camp and I don't get overexcited with 1 win, nor with 1 loss. I look @ his entire body of work. When Rodgers takes over Leicester 3 months after Ole takes over United--- and has what I think to be a lesser talented team in 3rd--- it's harder for me to to buy the "time" argument.

Am I rooting against Ole? Heck no. Just bc I am unimpressed with his body of work, doesn't mean I don't want United to win and I don't support Ole 100%. In fact, it's the reverse. I really want Champions League football. I really want United to sign Sancho and others in the summer--- and if United get Top 4, then it increases their chances to do so. So it's not wrong for me to say, I'm unimpressed with Ole, but at the same time, support him 100%; because I want to see United WIN.

That said, here are some positive facts. 11 clean sheets out of 14. (Should be 12-- thanks De Gea.) The defense has been lights out since basically the turn of the year. If the defense keeps this up, and United squeeze into top 4-- then one could make an argument about an additional year. As people's opinions changed about Fred over the course of the season, Ole has the opportunity to change people's opinions of him by finishing the year strong. 9 EPL games left, and he has to finish top 4 or win the EL. 4 home, 5 away. 3 vs top 10 in the table. (@Tottenham, Sheff, @ Leic.) It's not too difficult of a run in, so finishing top 4 is doable.
Agreed, this is a good dissemination between supporting the club and supporting the manager. Solskjaer has to earn his stay it should not be given to him on merit of his historic achievements in his playing day. Europa league win / top four if not he deserves the door.

passing-wind

Circumstances a little different now, no? Players were falling like flies due to injuries in that time, and the team that played PSG had a lot of reserves and youth in it. Right now there is no new injuries, the squad seems fitter and we even have players coming back like Pogba and hopefully Rashford.

I don't think that's the case we have harboured injuries throughout the majority of the season, even with a few players returning to fitness the circumstances are not massively indifferent.

I genuinely think the influence of Fernandes was not anticipated and he's managed to cultivate the whole outlook of the team. If we see Pogba back to fitness along with Bruno in the midfield, can anyone contest that we will have one of the strongest central areas in the league ? The emphasis is not with injuries it's that's we've seemingly signed a world class player in an integral position who is contributing to the team. Solskjaer deserves credit additionally because no matter how good a player is they still need a foundation to excel and perform which has been provided.

RollieOle

Say what you want about Ole but the man's mental strength is second to none. The amount of pressure he was put under the past few months, the storys about Poch taking over, all the pundits critisising him, talking about when he would get sacked.

The man never cracked, he actually turned it around, now we are seeing the results. He has went up against the best of the best and he slapped most of them (Kloop being the only one he hasnt got the best of yet). Not bad for a Norwegian PE teacher ehh?

Amerifan

I was thinking top 6 would be a good result. With all the player sales and playing kids, plus Spurs having 3rd locked up, CL seemed pretty unlikely.

Womp

idiot
Needs an option to continue assessing. We were fecking shite for the longest time, 10 games isn't enough of a sample size to prove we've turned a new leaf. I'm not as convinced we should sack him now, though. Here's hoping he can keep proving he's good enough, who wouldn't love a club legend to make it here.

ReddBalls

I don't think that's the case we have harboured injuries throughout the majority of the season, even with a few players returning to fitness the circumstances are not massively indifferent.

I genuinely think the influence of Fernandes was not anticipated and he's managed to cultivate the whole outlook of the team. If we see Pogba back to fitness along with Bruno in the midfield, can anyone contest that we will have one of the strongest central areas in the league ? The emphasis is not with injuries it's that's we've seemingly signed a world class player in an integral position who is contributing to the team. Solskjaer deserves credit additionally because no matter how good a player is they still need a foundation to excel and perform which has been provided.
Solskjær ha built the entire team to accommodate Fernandes or a player of his ilk. It's not a coincidence that the whole team improves when you get the most important part of the puzzle,

At this time last year, the players looked shattered and the injury list include almost the entire midfield. Right now Ole has 5 great options to choose between. I'd say the circumstances are completely different.

RooneyLegend

Clearly recruitment is going to make or break him. He desperately needs another Fernandes type signing for this team to be successful.

Alabaster Codify7

That's why everyone is beating City week in week out, correct? Cause everyone could have done this? 75% win rate against City in a season out of 4 games is pretty cool stuff in my mind.
What's really brilliant is that the players are behind the manager and are happy to win games.
What?
The poster i quoted was citing substituting Bailly for Williams as amazing in-game management and I correctly pointed out that it was a change any single one of us non-managers would have made. My comment was nothing to do with the result, which i said was awesome. It was to do with exaggerations which were completely unnecessary because there was enough genuine things to praise Ole for yesterday without resorting to that.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I've always been a believer in seeing "patterns" over a period that can be accepted as statistically representative or significant.

Let's take Jose to start with and look at his first few years at elite clubs. He was brilliant in the biggest games. Would not just completely negate the opponents and defang them, but also get his teams to stamp their own authority on the games and win them. Nobody calls that Inter success over Barca a "fluke" or a "lucky" result. That Barca team was one of the best of all time and yet Jose beat them handily. It was seen as a phenomenal display and a sign of his managerial chops and prowess. Why? Because he did it routinely. It wasn't a one-off. He'd made a habit of this. With Porto and then Chelsea and now he was doing it with Inter. Cut to a decade later and he was trying similar tactics, but without having built that siege mentality and against teams and managers that had moved much further tactically while he was stuck playing the same old way. His players didn't even buy into it, and with each season, his big-game record has got worse. So when Spurs beat Man City this season, it was classed as a fluke and a very lucky win. Reason? Patterns. Seen as a part of a larger set of data, it's clear he's past it and just relies on blind luck to win a big game.

Come to Ole now and apply a similar reasoning and you will see that he manages to win the big games with regularity. It can be luck a couple of times but when you make a habit of winning these games against the best and biggest in League and Cups, it's no longer a fluke. It's not luck any more. It's clearly a winning approach. It's not even as if he approaches every game with the same setup and style. There are clear tweaks he makes to formations, personnel and tactics and more often than not, he's trumped far more hyped teams and managers. Apart from Klopp, he's beaten all comers at least once if not more. That's not a fluke or luck or by virtue of "not having a plan".

Now, go and look at our results and you'll find that the more we faced teams that just sat back in a low block and were happy with a draw and played with the hope of keeping it tight and if lucky, nicking a goal on the counter, the worse we fared. Even now, we have, what, 17/21 points from the Top-6 teams (something like that). So our results against the weaker teams are the ones we clearly needed to better. We seem to have started doing that. Frankly, if you now want to dismiss the "run" because it's "just the lesser lights", you're either missing the big picture or simply just on the lookout for a stick to beat Ole with without consideration for whether it's merited or not.
I said the run was 5 cup games and 5 league games... when we have a consistent run of results against Premier League opposition, then people can start talking about corner turned.

tomaldinho1

As much as I like the effort that's gone into that thread - can we just stick to how we're doing season by season? We're 29 games in, not 17 - I'm all for positivity but we should look at it as it is: we're 5th with the positive being that we do feel like me might be able to generate enough momentum to chase down Chelsea and or Leicester as it stands. Consistency has been our biggest weakness and ironically, the 'hardest' games have generally been ok for us (Ole has 99 problems but beating Pep isn't one), would love for us to kick on and grind out some back to back wins now.

Gasolin

As much as I like the effort that's gone into that thread - can we just stick to how we're doing season by season? We're 29 games in, not 17 - I'm all for positivity but we should look at it as it is: we're 5th with the positive being that we do feel like me might be able to generate enough momentum to chase down Chelsea and or Leicester as it stands. Consistency has been our biggest weakness and ironically, the 'hardest' games have generally been ok for us (Ole has 99 problems but beating Pep isn't one), would love for us to kick on and grind out some back to back wins now.
Yes of course, the season is unacceptable by many standards.
It's just that we should dismiss the notion that we've been consistently bad. There was a corner turned, whether we like it or not.

We've been consistently bad for the first 11 games of the season. Why? This remains to be analyzed.
However, the feeling is that that was analyzed and is now being addressed.
The last 17 games have been consistent, and more positive.

A bit more work and recruitment of players might actually change that points ratio closer to 85% or 90%, if not more. And then, this would be the start of a very good season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Crystal Palace are 1st best in the league right now for the last 3 games.
To be fair, you're the one banging the drum about us not being consistent when the reality is over 17 games we have been. That's a huge chunk of the season.

It's also a bit weird complaining about consistency when we're in the middle of a 10 game unbeaten run. Seems like you've chosen a ditch to make your last stand somewhat.

bonothom

I'm still reserving judgement until the end of the season, remembering how United collapsed last season The Fernandes signing has been superb but it was a big mistake not signing him last Summer. Had United done that we would have at least 10 more points and comfortably in the top 4. If Ole achieves top 4 then he certainly deserves to have next season. If we get that then the summer signings will be much more gettable with the lure of Champions League football. Grealish, Sancho and maybe a striker and United will be challenging for the title.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Clearly recruitment is going to make or break him. He desperately needs another Fernandes type signing for this team to be successful.
True, but i think our strategy in the market has shifted a bit and that gives me hope. Under Ole we have seen 9 players leave and only 4 players inn.

Everyone and their dog could see our squad was razor thin in August and loads of people here have (rightfully?) criticized him for getting rid of so many players without replacing them. What this imo implies though is that we are taking it slow and properly scouting and assessing potential targets before pulling the trigger instead of just throwing money at whoever is available and hope it sorts itself

To say we've hit a couple of snags along the road results wise would be a massive understatement, recent run aside, but overall our transfer policy under Ole has been excellent. Honestly, i would be more than happy to have another season with a "thin squad" if it means we start the season 21/22 without any deadwood or bad apples in our team

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I have stoically backed OGS and never once wavered or changed my vote. But it's not about gloating and we haven't achieved anything YET...

For me, and I've made this point many times, rather than solely looking at league position and results I've been focusing mostly on three key areas; Recruitment, Player Improvement and Tactical intent. Ultimately these are the three areas that will take us forward and complete a successful rebuild, which is what needs to happen before we start demanding trophies. These also happen to be three areas that I feel Ole has excelled in (and the previous managers have failed miserably in.)

Recruitment: It was clear that we needed to add quality, we did well in the summer but clearly needed more in midfield and attack, the addition of Bruno has been outstanding. Recruitment has been excellent, every addition has improved us IMO. In a perfect world Ed would have gotten us Bruno in the summer rather than January. In addition the clear out of deadwood was expedited in the summer, perhaps hastily, but it needed doing and time is of the essence for managers, especially the one sat in the United dugout. I've no time for anybody that tries to limit the praise Ole get's for his recruitment.

Player Improvement: Has been excellent. Fred - Completely transformed. MCTominay - Making Strides. Martial - Best season at United. Rashford - Best season at United pre-injury. Shaw - Looking the player we hoped we had bought. Matic - Back to his old self. Not to mention his handling of the young players like Williams, Dan James, Greenwood which again has been outstanding IMO.

Tactical Intent: To me it has been clear pretty much since Ole started in the temp position that his intent has been to have the team press high, which is something that has been lacking for what seems like a decade. This is a key area I've been wanting each of the previous managers to implement. This approach backfired somewhat last season as we didn't quite have the squad and fitness to implement it properly but I'm confident it's going to be a big part of the approach in the future which I believe is an absolute must for us as a team going forward in the modern game. The passing has been progressive and generally forwards compared especially when you compare that to the previous managers, likewise the one/two touch interplay has been hugely improved IMO. Lots of examples of this when we are seemingly pinned in on the touchline and play some very nice one touch triangles to get back on the front foot.

Of course Ole needs to prove it in the league table and ultimately that is what he will be judged on, and rightly so of course, however if you drop the negativity and assess our play and approach fairly these positives are as clear as day.

We still have a way to go yet, but importantly, before we can make great strides we needed to get the above basics right. We are now in a position, perhaps for the first time in years, where we can genuinely be excited about our summer window and what that may add to this young energetic side.
Good post. Would give it a like if I could.

We've yet to see how high Ole's ceiling is, but he's handled the rebuild very well and earned the time to fine tune and get the best out of this squad. Personally I'm optimistic and have enjoyed the football, if not always the results, we've had during his tenure, and I agree it's obvious the team has improved.

RUCK4444

Good post. Would give it a like if I could.

We've yet to see how high Ole's ceiling is, but he's handled the rebuild very well and earned the time to fine tune and get the best out of this squad. Personally I'm optimistic and have enjoyed the football, if not always the results, we've had during his tenure, and I agree it's obvious the team has improved.
Ah damn, still chasing that elusive 10th like as well :( Can only mods give likes?

Cheers anyway, I obviously agree with you and have enjoyed the football if not the results.

First time I’ve been excited by a United team in years.

RollieOle

Crystal Palace are 1st best in the league right now for the last 3 games.
Yes, three games shows the same level of consistency as 17 games......

Your team is playing well and competing on multiple fronts, try and enjoy it.

matt10000

I have stoically backed OGS and never once wavered or changed my vote. But it's not about gloating and we haven't achieved anything YET...

For me, and I've made this point many times, rather than solely looking at league position and results I've been focusing mostly on three key areas; Recruitment, Player Improvement and Tactical intent. Ultimately these are the three areas that will take us forward and complete a successful rebuild, which is what needs to happen before we start demanding trophies. These also happen to be three areas that I feel Ole has excelled in (and the previous managers have failed miserably in.)

Recruitment: It was clear that we needed to add quality, we did well in the summer but clearly needed more in midfield and attack, the addition of Bruno has been outstanding. Recruitment has been excellent, every addition has improved us IMO. In a perfect world Ed would have gotten us Bruno in the summer rather than January. In addition the clear out of deadwood was expedited in the summer, perhaps hastily, but it needed doing and time is of the essence for managers, especially the one sat in the United dugout. I've no time for anybody that tries to limit the praise Ole get's for his recruitment.

Player Improvement: Has been excellent. Fred - Completely transformed. MCTominay - Making Strides. Martial - Best season at United. Rashford - Best season at United pre-injury. Shaw - Looking the player we hoped we had bought. Matic - Back to his old self. Not to mention his handling of the young players like Williams, Dan James, Greenwood which again has been outstanding IMO.

Tactical Intent: To me it has been clear pretty much since Ole started in the temp position that his intent has been to have the team press high, which is something that has been lacking for what seems like a decade. This is a key area I've been wanting each of the previous managers to implement. This approach backfired somewhat last season as we didn't quite have the squad and fitness to implement it properly but I'm confident it's going to be a big part of the approach in the future which I believe is an absolute must for us as a team going forward in the modern game. The passing has been progressive and generally forwards compared especially when you compare that to the previous managers, likewise the one/two touch interplay has been hugely improved IMO. Lots of examples of this when we are seemingly pinned in on the touchline and play some very nice one touch triangles to get back on the front foot.

Of course Ole needs to prove it in the league table and ultimately that is what he will be judged on, and rightly so of course, however if you drop the negativity and assess our play and approach fairly these positives are as clear as day.

We still have a way to go yet, but importantly, before we can make great strides we needed to get the above basics right. We are now in a position, perhaps for the first time in years, where we can genuinely be excited about our summer window and what that may add to this young energetic side.
Spot on and how many managers have ever beaten the master tactician Pep three times over 90 minutes in a single season?

Last edited:

NK86

I have my vote as out and for the time being will keep it that way. There has been a definite uptick in our form over the last few games in all competitions and it surely coincides with the arrival of Bruno.

If we keep this form up and get top 4 while also reaching deep in the other cup competitions, then I think Ole should be given another season with a full backing in the summer transfer window. I do get a good feeling about us this time. A good summer window, with our key players back (like Rashford and Pogba if the stays), along with the natural development of a top talent like Mason, and we will be fighting at the top of the PL table next season.

If however this is just a bounce because a top player has come in, then it will peter out soon. In that case, Ole out stays as my vote.

theklr

Poll reopened for a few hours and the sack % dropped like oil prices.
Still baffled that people just not have some patience and waits until May instead of jumping from sack to keep.

Human nature I guess.

SteveW

I have my vote as out and for the time being will keep it that way. There has been a definite uptick in our form over the last few games in all competitions and it surely coincides with the arrival of Bruno.

If we keep this form up and get top 4 while also reaching deep in the other cup competitions, then I think Ole should be given another season with a full backing in the summer transfer window. I do get a good feeling about us this time. A good summer window, with our key players back (like Rashford and Pogba if the stays), along with the natural development of a top talent like Mason, and we will be fighting at the top of the PL table next season.

If however this is just a bounce because a top player has come in, then it will peter out soon. In that case, Ole out stays as my vote.
Bruno won't just disappear though. Our results are better because we now have a decent midfield. That's not gonna suddenly change.

Our bad results typically involved the likes of Pereira, Lingard and Matic (before he got his form back) We literally didn't have good enough midfielders to consistently win games. With Fred, Scott, Bruno, rejuvenated Matic, and soon Pogba we should be fine in that regard.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I remember when there was an argument that we had the 5th best squad in the league based on the quality of our players. I think that was before Fernandes and Ighalo came and the Rashford injury. So form aside and just focusing on the quality of our players right now, where would you rank our team compared to others. Still the 5th best squad?

RUCK4444

I don't understand that way of thinking because ultimately it's Ole who brought Bruno in and more importantly Bruno has been brought into a functioning side which is much more balanced than it was, which is again down to Ole.

Very few players will arrive in a new league and hit the ground running like Bruno unless the squad functional and environment is good.

Yes he's improved us but we've enabled him to express himself. Compare that to when Pogba was brought in and how he has struggled with poor players and tactics around him. This is why I'm desperate to see how Pogba plays in this current side.

ReddBalls

I don't understand that way of thinking because ultimately it's Ole who brought Bruno in and more importantly Bruno has been brought into a functioning side which is much more balanced than it was, which is again down to Ole.

Very few players will arrive in a new league and hit the ground running like Bruno unless the squad functional and environment is good.

Yes he's improved us but we've enabled him to express himself. Compare that to when Pogba was brought in and how he has struggled with poor players and tactics around him. This is why I'm desperate to see how Pogba plays in this current side.
Good post, sir. Bruno would not have the same kind of impact if he was put in last years side.

Status
Not open for further replies.