Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TommiHelm

Fine, I changed my vote. I kind of wish this was a new poll instead, cause I still think he should have been gone when I first voted (and I wouldn't mind having my "wrong" vote hanging there in history). I'm glad things have turned around, and I think he deserves a chance to finish this project now.

I really like the squad he's building, and the mentality of the players he's bringing in. The squad harmony seems to be getting to a point where you could actually bring in a different (bad) type of personality and he'd just change into what you want. When you get that kind of harmony at a work place it's amazing. I've been lucky enough to work in a couple of places like it, and seen people come in with a disruptive personality and within a month or two be completely different, and one of the group. If you can do that at a football club, my hat is off.

I still think his weakness is his tactical ability - both before and during matches - and I still struggle to see any philosophy or specific style of play being coached. But I hope he'll be as good at surrounding himself with the right staff, as he seems to be with players. To be honest that was probably Sir Alex' biggest strength as well. Finding the right staff (and players) and trusting them. Not trying to do it all on his own.

Reactions: Sultan

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I said finish the season, but was pretty sure he wasn’t the right man going forward. Delighted to be being proved wrong so far.

lsd

The Oracle
Don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm curious as to how many people would change their mind if, despite great performances from here on out, through bad luck, we miss out on CL qualification (City win appeal, Pogba sent off in EL final, we drop points in 1 game)

Great all that is gonna happen now

Dante

Average bang

The league table since the Burnley loss and after Bruno came in (obviously, we have a couple of games in hand on the scousers).

I know that extrapolating from a small sample can be a dangerous trap to fall into, but whatever. I'm in a good mood.

If we could keep this up for the whole season, we'd have 91 points, 87 goals for and 15 (!) goals against.

But the most encouraging thing is that we've been steadily improving since the beginning of the run, so it's not like the this form is based on only our very best. You could be forgiven for thinking the team is on track to make this its average level.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
thread is now getting embarrassing for those who advocated that OGS be removed.

Having struggled all season to break down weaker teams who plays with a low block, we are now just twatting them aside, like SAF at his pomp. Having Bruno and Greenwood on fire, means Pogba can now also assert himself, and these three are making all the difference.

Critics of OGS conveniently ignore that we played 50% of the season without Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and this lethal version of Greenwood. I cant think of any other team who could function after losing all that.

rotherham_red

I do. We've not got top 4 secured and we didn't get it last season after an even better run. You don't judge a manager on one-off streaks but on full seasons (albeit this one has been weird).

I am firm in that my opinion will be made based on the table at the end of season. People should stop kneejerking because we're on a roll after being absolutely dire earlier in the season.

One thing that has never been beyond doubt though is his ability to get players on his side and instill positivity in the team. What's really stopping him from getting my full confidence is the lack of proper coaching support and the fact we're still lacking a full team of good players, which is not his fault.
Well, that's patently not true considering this run we're now on is the joint-best run we've ever had, post-SAF. And even in terms of quality of opposition, this run contains much sterner opposition.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
As opposed to judging him based on how many smiles he has during an interview?
We should be a club that is used to winning (or were, some people seem to have forgotten). Winning trophies is all about results, if nothing else.
These threads genuinely are a place for kneejerkers of the day to bash people with opinions who are different than theirs.
You should also look up what kneejerk means. There's nothing kneejerk about setting a target at the start of the season and using it as a yardstick to measure achievement at the end of the season.
I had the same thinking when we gave him the permanent job before getting top 4 last year. Making good decisions is about level heads, not emotional kneejerking.
Yep. Jog on pal.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
After 17 games unbeaten, looking well situated to make the top four, still in two cup competitions, and the team playing the best football we've seen since the great man was in charge, is there anyone left who still doubts him?
Anyone?
Can only be WUMs!

always_hoping

I'd hope anyone that has the view that United are lucky with Covid to have a fully fit squad can also agree United were unlucky not to have fully fit squad before Covid.

TrustInOle

I do. We've not got top 4 secured and we didn't get it last season after an even better run. You don't judge a manager on one-off streaks but on full seasons (albeit this one has been weird).

I am firm in that my opinion will be made based on the table at the end of season. People should stop kneejerking because we're on a roll after being absolutely dire earlier in the season.

One thing that has never been beyond doubt though is his ability to get players on his side and instill positivity in the team. What's really stopping him from getting my full confidence is the lack of proper coaching support and the fact we're still lacking a full team of good players, which is not his fault.
Wum! If you can't see the progress throughout the season or the fact the team will inevitably suffer when missing 3 key players for long periods, then maybe football ain't for you. That's without taking into consideration this season has very much been about transition.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Don't understand the people trying to justify sacking him earlier In the season, when to many of us it remained clear that we were making significant progress and were being hampered massively by injuries to our key players. It's not our fault that you chose to focus purely on the results and you should be able to hold your hands up and say clearly I missed something and was wrong. Ole has been a class act and has already given us our most entertaining and exciting season post Fergie in just a year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Haven’t heard a peep from the Director of Football hipsters for a while now.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This place is full of people who genuinely want to talk to others with the same opinion. I do wonder what's the point of going on a forum when you are just looking for confirmation of your world view.

And then you get attacked for having a differing opinion. For those that do it, you can feck off. I won't respond separately because it's genuinely not worth it.

Rish Sawhney

This place is full of people who genuinely want to talk to others with the same opinion. I do wonder what's the point of going on a forum when you are just looking for confirmation of your world view.

And then you get attacked for having a differing opinion. For those that do it, you can feck off. I won't respond separately because it's genuinely not worth it.
People saying your opinions are dumb is not an attack, it’s an opinion. Why would you want to post in a forum that always agreed with you?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've just changed my vote from finish the season to keep him.

I am not sure at all about his coaching credentials which was the big thing but these players look so much happier and are so much more fun to watch he's got my vote changed.

Lj82

As opposed to judging him based on how many smiles he has during an interview?

We should be a club that is used to winning (or were, some people seem to have forgotten). Winning trophies is all about results, if nothing else.

These threads genuinelly are a place for kneejerkers of the day to bash people with opinions who are different than theirs.

You should also look up what kneejerk means. There's nothing kneejerk about setting a target at the start of the season and using it as a yardstick to measure achievement at the end of the season.

I had the same thinking when we gave him the permanent job before getting top 4 last year. Making good decisions is about level heads, not emotional kneejerking.
This is so condescending to both Ole and the fans here who backed him, before or now.

Eddy_JukeZ

Don't understand the people trying to justify sacking him earlier In the season, when to many of us it remained clear that we were making significant progress and were being hampered massively by injuries to our key players. It's not our fault that you chose to focus purely on the results and you should be able to hold your hands up and say clearly I missed something and was wrong. Ole has been a class act and has already given us our most entertaining and exciting season post Fergie in just a year.
Let's be honest now, the performances were just as bad as the results.

It's no coincidence since we started playing way better, we started producing way better results too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What a big turn around from early season. Let’s not forget at one point majority here want him out and replace by Poch instead. Turns out Poch got sacked from his club and Ole went 17 match unbeaten. We are probably best team in the league this year.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
We most definitely were not.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The difference is that Ole is the first attack minded coach we hired post Fergie and all his decisions regarding long-term planning are centred around a very high risk approach which aligns with the club. I and many others had voiced our disdain at the appointments of Moyes and Mourinho due to their methods which were completely alien to the traditions of the club. And then after many years of naivety from the board we hire a attack minded coach by accident and eventhough I had doubts about him, I can clearly see he's building a team for a specific style which suits a club of our stature going forward.

But appointing a coach with a attacking philosophy should've been done by default post Fergie and we wouldn't have plunged to the depths that we did for several years with £millions being wasted.

Let's hope he gets the tools he desires to complete the transformation which I believe is close.

Gasolin

We should try to aim for top 3 and now focus on winning the FA cup and the EL. Behind the scene, that's what Ole should be focusing on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We could go to Anfield, win 0-5 with all the goals scored by Academy Grads, and you'd still get some saying we got lucky because Liverpool had an off day, and Ole shouldn't be the Manager anyway because he failed at Cardiff City. RedCafe circa 2020, sad but true.
Liverpool could come to OT and win 10-0 with us having Messi and Ronaldo in the team but you'd still be fine with that.

RooneyLegend

I wanted him gone, didn't think he had it in him. Seems I was completely off the mark and I'm damn happy about it. The great man is handling his business. Who knew he was a man with a solid plan?

Honestly, I always thought he had enough about himself tactically but felt that he'd struggle with the squad building side of things. Players required to compete at the very highest level aren't the sort we spent half the season with him believing in. Looks like the man is ruthless and understands that.

People had been running around waxing lyrical about Fred and Scotty McT but he knew the future is in the likes of Pogba's hands. He's binned off rubbish like Lingard, Lukaka, Sanchez and Young.

A few tweaks and we're in for a title challenge next season. You just have to love the man.

Mindhunter

The difference is that Ole is the first attack minded coach we hired post Fergie and all his decisions regarding long-term planning are centred around a very high risk approach which aligns with the club. I and many others had voiced our disdain at the appointments of Moyes and Mourinho due to their methods which were completely alien to the traditions of the club. And then after many years of naivety from the board we hire a attack minded coach by accident and eventhough I had doubts about him, I can clearly see he's building a team for a specific style which suits a club of our stature going forward.

But appointing a coach with a attacking philosophy should've been done by default post Fergie and we wouldn't have plunged to the depths that we did for several years with £millions being wasted.

Let's hope he gets the tools he desires to complete the transformation which I believe is close.
Great post. It's strange why most fans don't get this.

Status
Not open for further replies.