Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We don’t have a shite squad at all
Yes, we do. I don't know how you could suggest otherwise.

Name me squad from a top-six club that is comparatively weaker than ours. I'm not talking about the starting eleven either, which I genuinely believe is the 3rd strongest in the league, just the bench and squad players.

DRM

This thread does my head in.

If Ole isn't the man because his CV is poor , it boggles my mind that the same Ole out group are championing Poch, Nagelsmann, Rose and other random no names who all have won sweet feck all of note in their careers.

It doesn't make sense.

If you want champions you talk about Pep, Klopp, Conte or Zidane. If none are available, stick with Ole.
But none of those would come to United.

So what do we do? Stick with an average manager? Poch, Nangelsmann etc may not have won anything but its no question they are better managers than Ole!

rotherham_red

I see this thread has had some activity... The spineless whiners among us really do have no shame.

We are off the boil, and yes Ole has made mistakes during this little run, but we have it in our hands still.

Do that thing that you all profess to do: support the fecking club!

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
It's not hard to see at this point that he relies heavily on individual quality. Give him one of these lower teams and he would have gotten Burnley or Brighton relegated. That's my problem with him
Agree with your general point, but I don't think the Burnley/Brighton argument is fair. Some managers take a poor/average team and make them decent, but cannot make a good team great (Dyche perhaps?). Others, like Pep who's arguably the best, can make a very good team truly great, but would probably fail with a lesser team as his philosophy needs players of a high standard to work. The astronomical level he can reach given the right players justifies his philosophy however.

Ole seems to need good players to execute the style he wants (hence his failure at Cardiff), but has not yet demonstrated that he can make a collection of good players a great, or even very good, team.

spiriticon

But none of those would come to United.

So what do we do? Stick with an average manager? Poch, Nangelsmann etc may not have won anything but its no question they are better managers than Ole!
No question? There's always questions. If you sack Ole because he's a 'loser', why go from one loser to another?

Swapping between losers isn't gonna win titles.

Mainoldo

This thread does my head in.

If Ole isn't the man because his CV is poor , it boggles my mind that the same Ole out group are championing Poch, Nagelsmann, Rose and other random no names who all have won sweet feck all of note in their careers.

It doesn't make sense.

If you want champions you talk about Pep, Klopp, Conte or Zidane. If none are available, stick with Ole.
It’s not his C.V it’s his history in management backed by his poor C.V., backed by his current job he’s doing now.

Mainoldo

I see this thread has had some activity... The spineless whiners among us really do have no shame.

We are off the boil, and yes Ole has made mistakes during this little run, but we have it in our hands still.

Well spoken Champ!!! We have an important game on Sunday. We need to be United!!

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
No question? There's always questions. If you sack Ole because he's a 'loser', why go from one loser to another?

Swapping between losers isn't gonna win titles.
Because it's not a binary choice between a potential best manager in the world, and Ole. Ole has improved us to some degree, but we are still far from where we want to be. Logically if we get in someone who's better than Ole though still not best in the world level, he'll get us closer to where we want to be than Ole would. That's a good thing right?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe i'm being too critical, but have we actually beaten any relatively decent side since the restart?

Spurs - draw
Soton - draw
Chelsea - lost

Perhaps you can say we beat sheffield United comfortably. Other than that, we've beaten the cannon fodders like B'mouth, villa, brighton. Scraped through against Norwich and god knows we were lucky again palace.
“Cannon fodder” are often the toughest fixtures at this point in the season. Hence all the big teams have dropped points against teams in or around the relegation zone. Which happens every season.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
So. Steve Bruce could have done that for us with this starting 11.
That's a baseless claim. However, our Top 4 challenge has been massively helped by our traditional rivals being garbage as well.

Chelsea - transfer ban and rookie, unproven manager who looks tactically naive
Spurs - burnt out squad under Mourinho
Arsenal - weak squad under a rookie, unproven manager.
Leicester, Wolves etc. - should not even have been expected to challenge.

All our rivals being garbage does not justify or excuse us being garbage as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Some people will never learn thinking these games are going to be easy and then losing it when we don't win.

Ignoring fatigue, West Ham have been playing well and found a system that has been working for them. Their defence with Rice in front is on a par with what we had out last night and they arguably had a better bench to call on (Yarmolenko, Lanzini, Anderson, Haller). Our attack where we have the edge didn't perform and Pogba let us down again. It happens.

Mainoldo

That's a baseless claim. However, our Top 4 challenge has been massively helped by our traditional rivals being garbage as well.

Chelsea - transfer ban and rookie, unproven manager who looks tactically naive
Spurs - burnt out squad under Mourinho
Arsenal - weak squad under a rookie, unproven manager.
Leicester, Wolves etc. - should not even have been expected to challenge.

All our rivals being garbage does not justify or excuse us being garbage as well.
His claim was baseless too so it was only right.

Yes that’s exactly what’s happened here. But it will be overlooked. However save those points. They will be very useful and used alot if he overstays his welcome and his replacement is left to pick up the pieces instead of building on his good work.

We always make managers stay for too long where they end up having a detrimental affect on their good work. Ole will be the same if we give him another season.

AneRu

Ole imo has the right ideas of what a great United team should look and play like. What I doubt is whether he has the technical skills as a coach to implement those ideas, maintain levels of performances or change the course of games that have deviated from the plan.

I think it's a good argument that we don't have the squad depth to effectively rotate players whilst chasing down an 8 point gap. It has to be addressed and until we have 15 to 18 players who are at an acceptable level then we won't challenge with or without Ole.

We have done well to be in this position given where we were at the turn of the year. It's easy to forget that and get easily frustrated because we could throw away an opportunity for CL football next year. I wouldn't sack him even if we miss out on top 4 but next season he has to judged more harshly should the mistakes of this season be repeated.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We don’t have a shite squad at all
Are you telling me that the squad at the start of the season is better that what Pep inherited at City? Or what Klopp had assembled before they went into CL finals?
Hell in terms of creativity, among our backups, Mata is the most creative arguably (among him, AP, Lingard, James) and he is pretty much finished.

IAmAWinner

Solskjaer is even worse tham Moyes when it comes to quotes. Just read this: 'We've gone out in two semi-finals, so we've got a final and have got to embrace that one. Finally we're in one!'
WTF is this? Not the mentality a Manchester United manager should have.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Nice history lesson, but Fergie was a complete anomaly. He won 12 of our 20 league titles, where the other 8 are spread over half a century. We dont have a divine right to be on the top

What current manager out there looks to be the next Fergie? None as far as i can tell
He actually won 13. What divine right do Madrid and Barca have to be at the top of spanish football, bayern in germany or juventus in italy. It's about mentality. Either you adopt an arsenal mentality of happy with just taking part and winning the odd cup here and there or the chelsea mentality of if we are not challenging for the pl and cl it's a failure. One is big club mentality and the other is small time. We are shifting towards the wrong end of the spectrum.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
AWB - TFM or Dalot. Both replacements are barely PL quality.

Shaw - Williams. I rate Williams highly, but he's nowhere near the finished article.

Lindelof, Maguire - Jones, Rojo, Bailly. All injury-prone, reckless, and unreliable.

Matic - Fred, Mctominay. These two were excellent pre-lockdown, they carried us at one point, but they have returned a shadow of those players.

Bruno, Pogba - Periera, Lingard. 'Nuff said.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood - Mata, James, Chong. Mata is well past his best, James made a promising start to the season but fell off dramatically, and Chong makes Bebe look talented.

It doesn't require a vast knowledge of football to see the astounding drop in quality when comparing our starting eleven with their replacements.

Now imagine being Ole and faced with those options when picking your team.

90 + 5min

Its not about waiting for Ole to be ready. Its about waiting for the team to be ready. Ole came in and took over a team bereft of character & low on confidence, with i suspect a very 'laid back' attitude amongst many of the squad. People had to go, and they were sold.

You have to put the foundations in place before you can start building the team. This is where Ole has done so well. He is changing the culture of the club again, and I've said it dozens of times on here but for me the guy is a year ahead of schedule. He's done an absolutely outstanding job IMO, but he still has a lot of work to do to change this team into winners.

Fans being fans though they are impatient, and expectations change almost with every game. We've seen glimpses of what this group of players are capable of, but this is still a young team - not just in age but also in how much football and time they've had together.
Well said.

Time and patience are important. Sometimes I feel like a parrot saying it over and over again. You can't change everything overnight. As long as we see progress we will be fine. And that is exactly what we see. Do we have any setbacks? Ofcourse we do. But that doesn't mean that we are not moving forward. Have Solskjaer done anything wrong? Ofcours. But the main thing is that we are moving forward. After 5-6 years of destroying every ground we stand on by all those changes we got to have patience.

Mainoldo

Are you telling me that the squad at the start of the season is better that what Pep inherited at City? Or what Klopp had assembled before they went into CL finals?
Hell in terms of creativity, among our backups, Mata is the most creative arguably (among him, AP, Lingard, James) and he is pretty much finished.
Boring arguments which are just all relative to anyone’s objective. If your backing Mourinho he took over a rubbish United team. If you aren’t backing him he took over a team which finished level on points to City and missed out on Champs League by goal difference. These debates are rubbish as you can argue either way and if your loud enough with your points you are right.

Withnail

I get what you're saying but even with the bolded bit - Ole didnt exactly do that. He should've taken off Bruno around the 60th min mark when we've been 2 or 3 nil up.

I know most games were must wins, but rotating 1 player would not have caused us to lose momentum. For example playing Fred instead of Matic v 'bmouth and i'm sure we would've still ended up winning. The post lockdown period should've been all about near term game management, something Fergie was brilliant at. Ole has failed in that department and we can now only hope that doesnt cost us a top 4 position.

He's taken Bruno off most games when we've been two goals up, hasn't he?

Not in the Bournemouth one but we had a 5-day break after that.

Am I missing something?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's taken Bruno off most games when we've been two goals up, hasn't he?

Not in the Bournemouth one but we had a 5-day break after that.

Am I missing something?
4 games in 9-10 days, he was subbed off only once and that was in 84th min.

Mainoldo

AWB - TFM or Dalot. Both replacements are barely PL quality. How do we know?

Shaw
- Williams. I rate Williams highly, but he's nowhere near the finished article.

Hence why he’s the backup. I was told Williams was planned which is why we didn’t bring in a LB.

Lindelof, Maguire
- Jones, Rojo, Bailly. All injury-prone, reckless, and unreliable.

Keep Smalling and get rid of the rest then. He had all summer to decide this.

Matic
- Fred, Mctominay. These two were excellent pre-lockdown, they carried us at one point, but they have returned a shadow of those players.

And.... that’s not up to him to manage that? He gets credit when they play well.

Bruno, Pogba
- Periera, Lingard. 'Nuff said.

There not the best but if you stop playing them as number 10’s and get them to do a job for the team on the RW the balance is fine

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood
- Mata, James, Chong. Mata is well past his best, James made a promising start to the season but fell off dramatically, and Chong makes Bebe look talented.

For the same money we got Daniel James we could have got Saint Maximum (Poor scouting) Angel Gomes was also available all season.

It doesn't require a vast knowledge of football to see the astounding drop in quality when comparing our starting eleven with their replacements.

Rafaeldagold

You can support the club while also having concerns about the management

midnightmare

Pointless. You're engaging a guy who will not listen. These are the guys who started by saying they'd only accept Ole if he stopped just playing counter-attacking football and started beating "cannon fodder". Do that and now it's other stuff. Goalposts will continue to shift.

He actually won 13. What divine right do Madrid and Barca have to be at the top of spanish football, bayern in germany or juventus in italy. It's about mentality. Either you adopt an arsenal mentality of happy with just taking part and winning the odd cup here and there or the chelsea mentality of if we are not challenging for the pl and cl it's a failure. One is big club mentality and the other is small time. We are shifting towards the wrong end of the spectrum.
Absolutely different situations. Firstly, Barca and Madrid get a disproportionately higher share of the league's money so can always outspend most clubs. This over and above the historical appeal and (specially for Real Madrid) state backing. Oh and despite all this, look at the shape Barca are now in. Financial turmoil and also turmoil on the pitch with only a Messi-shaped plaster holding them afloat. Previously Real Madrid have flirted with disaster, only to need the state to help out - before Florentino completely revamped the club. Please look up what the La Liga is structured like. It's not without reason that people celebrate Atleti "crashing the party" as something bordering on a miracle.

Withnail

4 games in 9-10 days, he was subbed off only once and that was in 84th min.
We weren't 2 or 3 nil up in those games though were we?

I was responding to this:

I get what you're saying but even with the bolded bit - Ole didnt exactly do that. He should've taken off Bruno around the 60th min mark when we've been 2 or 3 nil up.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
not to mention he gave new contracts to Mata and Jones, two of the apparently useless players.

Skåre Willoch

We always make managers stay for too long where they end up having a detrimental affect on their good work. Ole will be the same if we give him another season.
What.

Moyes stayed for less than a season. Van Gaal stayed for two seasons. Mourinho stayed for two and a half. Do you honestly think we should change the manager literally every season?!

Mainoldo

What.

Moyes stayed for less than a season. Van Gaal stayed for two seasons. Mourinho stayed for two and a half. Do you honestly think we should change the manager literally every season?!
Moyes should have never been appointment and should have went after the Newcastle defeat. LVG should have gone by Xmas and Mourinho should never have got that third season that all clubs dread with him. The board have no balls.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Pointless. You're engaging a guy who will not listen. These are the guys who started by saying they'd only accept Ole if he stopped just playing counter-attacking football and started beating "cannon fodder". Do that and now it's other stuff. Goalposts will continue to shift.

Absolutely different situations. Firstly, Barca and Madrid get a disproportionately higher share of the league's money so can always outspend most clubs. This over and above the historical appeal and (specially for Real Madrid) state backing. Oh and despite all this, look at the shape Barca are now in. Financial turmoil and also turmoil on the pitch with only a Messi-shaped plaster holding them afloat. Previously Real Madrid have flirted with disaster, only to need the state to help out - before Florentino completely revamped the club. Please look up what the La Liga is structured like. It's not without reason that people celebrate Atleti "crashing the party" as something bordering on a miracle.
We are one of the richest clubs in the world if not the richest club. We can outspend anyone apart form the state run clubs. The point is not we should never have setbacks and down years as a club, the point is we can never lose our "divine right to be at the top of football" It's about mentality. We are losing our big club mentality and it's shocking a lot of the fan base don't recognise that their lower standards for ole are contributing to this.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
AWB - TFM or Dalot. Both replacements are barely PL quality.

Shaw - Williams. I rate Williams highly, but he's nowhere near the finished article.

Lindelof, Maguire - Jones, Rojo, Bailly. All injury-prone, reckless, and unreliable.

Matic - Fred, Mctominay. These two were excellent pre-lockdown, they carried us at one point, but they have returned a shadow of those players.

Bruno, Pogba - Periera, Lingard. 'Nuff said.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood - Mata, James, Chong. Mata is well past his best, James made a promising start to the season but fell off dramatically, and Chong makes Bebe look talented.

Haha, you might wanna look at the squad options of the team that are current PL Champions and also won the CL last season...

Rafaeldagold

What.

We should change a manager when they’re not good enough. I’m all for stability with the right manager- Ole is not that person

troylocker

We looked tired, were sloppy both on and off the ball and made simple mistakes all over the pitch, but still managed to grind out the minimum result we needed (a win would be better oc). That we haven't looked as sharp as we can in the last 3-4 matches, is down to the tight schedule and lack of good alternatives behind the first 11 and must not overshaddow the fact that we have been the best team in the league since Burnley in the end of January and are still unbeaten in the league since then. All teams have the occasional bad and mediocre performances, this happens. I'm so sick of people playing the "rely on individual quality to score goals"-card! All goals depend on individual quality and/or individual mistakes, every single goal ever scored! If you can show me one single goal that doesn't include a good pass, some good movement/positioning, a good finish, a good dribble or a defensive mistake, please feel free to do so. If you have a good dribler in your squad, you cannot give the manager stick for not having a style of play, when giving this player freedom to take on defenders in good positions. If you think Greenwood and Martial doesn't get coached in 1-2s in tight areas in training, and put yesterdays goal in the "rely on individual quality account", you're just clueless.
These last performances shouldn't change your view on Ole much, but if we fail to make the CL, it will add a lot of pressure on him next season. Use the post season break well and get a couple of quality attacking players in, and this team will go places. Ole will not get sacked before minimum December no matter what, so you might as well join the ride with the rest of us and support him. There is absolutely no evidence against us becoming great again under him, just as there is no guarantees.

Status
Not open for further replies.