Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I don’t think I even understand what you’re saying, really. Are you saying we should prioritize buying a new goalie? Or that we should sack the manager, and pick a new one based on what kind of goalkeeper we have?
I think we should appoint a Director of Football with a brief to recruit players and a world class coach to prioritise high pressing that is deeply integrated into the overall strategy, positioning and selection of the team, rather than something we should just try and do when we lose the ball like it's some simple thing that's just nice to have.

So yes in the medium term that would involve a new manager and a new goalie. And quite a few other new players too to be honest since it is a major change of direction. I have no illusions this will happen until we consistently fail to make fourth place.

Skåre Willoch

But better at implementing his style no? Was Saha better than RVN? Was Bravo better than Joe Hart? It’s always the big decisions that define you as a manager. But on that note so is dropping Lukaku before the **** attack me.
Cost vs benefit, that. Would we have conceded fewer goals with Romero? I don’t think so, but maybe. It’s not unrealistic with De Geas howlers. But, it’s a tough argument to say he’s a better shot stopper and goalkeeper (in a traditional sense) than Dave. Would we score more with Romero? I don’t think so either. But again, maybe. I personally wouldn’t trust Romero to be our starting goalkeeper, as he’s as clear number 2 (but a very good number 2), and I think most people agree with that.

Maybe Henderson is the answer, but I don’t know how good he is with his feet compared to De Gea and Romero. Still young, still raw. If we promote him and he does worse than Dave Did this season, would you support the decision? It’s brave, big decision and so on. But it can also be the wrong decision. As buying Bravo was. Fecking Bravo. He was a worse goalkeeper for City than Hart was. He was a better passer, absolutely, but he cost City a lot of both points and money. We can’t afford that kind of gamble, not money wise or points wise, just to let Ole “make a big decision”.

Mainoldo

So no it's not true at all then.

If I go look so the stats it'll be b*llocks won't it?
Your asking me if something is true or not about a Manchester United players. I don’t know what you want me to say. This is the team we support.

Skåre Willoch

I think we should appoint a Director of Football with a brief to recruit players and a world class coach to prioritise high pressing that is deeply integrated into the overall strategy, positioning and selection of the team, rather than something we should just try and do when we lose the ball like it's some simple thing that's just nice to have.

So yes in the medium term that would involve a new manager and a new goalie. And quite a few other new players too to be honest since it is a major change of direction. I have no illusions this will happen until we consistently fail to make fourth place.
Yup. You’ve got it. Let’s just scrap it all and restart. Again. And again. And again.

Sack the manager. Sack the goalie. Bring in a(nother) proven, world class manager. Buy all the good players, sell all the bad players. Press higher, score more, concede less. This should be done every time we don’t win the league.
DoF stuff is easy!

We do need a DoF, though, I agree. But that has nothing to do with Ole.

Skåre Willoch

But are any of those three sweeper/keepers? And would Ole commit to pressing that hard?
Again, I think I’m missing your point.

No, none of our keepers are sweepers. So, because we don’t have a sweeper keeper, sack Ole?

Mainoldo

Cost vs benefit, that. Would we have conceded fewer goals with Romero? I don’t think so, but maybe. It’s not unrealistic with De Geas howlers. But, it’s a tough argument to say he’s a better shot stopper and goalkeeper (in a traditional sense) than Dave. Would we score more with Romero? I don’t think so either. But again, maybe. I personally wouldn’t trust Romero to be our starting goalkeeper, as he’s as clear number 2 (but a very good number 2), and I think most people agree with that.

Maybe Henderson is the answer, but I don’t know how good he is with his feet compared to De Gea and Romero. Still young, still raw. If we promote him and he does worse than Dave Did this season, would you support the decision? It’s brave, big decision and so on. But it can also be the wrong decision. As buying Bravo was. Fecking Bravo. He was a worse goalkeeper for City than Hart was. He was a better passer, absolutely, but he cost City a lot of both points and money. We can’t afford that kind of gamble, not money wise or points wise, just to let Ole “make a big decision”.
No no I hear you. The point I’m making if something is important to your style you tend to go with it even if the tools aren’t as good as what you are getting by going against it. I.e. using a keeper with no feet. But yes Bravo is a good example of the costs that brings.

Skåre Willoch

No no I hear you. The point I’m making if something is important to your style you tend to go with it even if the tools aren’t as good as what you are getting by going against it. I.e. using a keeper with no feet. But yes Bravo is a good example of the costs that brings.
If we had 15 great outfield players, and two horrific goalies, we should definitely prioritize recruiting a world class, modern goalie.
But with the outfield squad we have right now, and Dave and Henderson as options in goal, I think it’s fair to not make that position the “big decision”. That’s the right decision in my opinion, whether it’s Ole or Pep or SAF or Klopp in charge. It’s not like we have Karius, Mignolet and Bravo to chose from, we have De Gea and Henderson (and Romero, I guess).

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We do need a DoF, though, I agree. But that has nothing to do with Ole.
We bring in a DoF so we don't keep having to do this stuff again and again. I believe Ole will eventually get pushed out of the top four and lose his job. Probably in 2022. Then what?

No, none of our keepers are sweepers. So, because we don’t have a sweeper keeper, sack Ole?
We don't press with sufficient intensity. Our keeper is one large part of this. Ole is another. The whole thing needs fixing. IMHO

Withnail

Your asking me if something is true or not about a Manchester United players. I don’t know what you want me to say. This is the team we support.

Well if you say something I expect it to be based on fact not feelings or memories of one game.

It's a bold claim and your evidence is a YouTube vid of one performance from 5 years ago. I seem to recall Cleverly played a blinder against City once upon a time but I'm not saying he's as good a passer as Scholes.

Mainoldo

Well if you say something I expect it to be based on fact not feelings or memories of one game.

It's a bold claim and your evidence is a YouTube vid of one performance from 5 years ago. I seem to recall Cleverly played a blinder against City once upon a time but I'm not saying he's as good a passer as Scholes.
I remembered, you didn’t So i gave you video evidence which you have shat on. But you was happy to disregard my statement if I didn’t provide you stats. I provided you visual footage. Not of his best bits but Of a full game. I didn’t even vet the video, I didn’t have to. If there was something recent that popped up first I would have sent you that.

The point was simple though. I said he’s one of the best In the league with his feet. You said maybe I was just making false claims but yet you have nothing to bring to the argument. Maybe if he stays and plays again actually pay attention and watch him.

Also yes please send me a good Tom Cleverly video.. I’m having trouble sleeping that should help.

Tel074

I would probably rather have Arteta than Ole. Although so far both has everything to prove.
We have the better squad though so should be doing better.
The only player that would go into our 11 from them are Aubameyang and Luiz on his good days.
Luiz ? You should never post again

RashysTekkers

Its mind numbing that this thread is still alive. :lol::lol:
Anyway the straw clutching and the constant goal post shifting by some posters here is way too much; to the point that im convinced that some of them are just internet trolls.

Last edited:

Withnail

I remembered, you didn’t So i gave you video evidence which you have shat on. But you was happy to disregard my statement if I didn’t provide you stats. I provided you visual footage. Not of his best bits but Of a full game. I didn’t even vet the video, I didn’t have to. If there was something recent that popped up first I would have sent you that.

The point was simple though. I said he’s one of the best In the league with his feet. You said maybe I was just making false claims but yet you have nothing to bring to the argument. Maybe if he stays and plays again actually pay attention and watch him.

Also yes please send me a good Tom Cleverly video.. I’m having trouble sleeping that should help.

I was dubious about your claim as were a few others. I was even more dubious when your explanation involved recollection of one match, his league debut.

You've offered very little to back up what you've said. Players can't be judged on one game from 5 years ago and to be honest I don't think there's even enough evidence available to back up him being the best at anything in the league seeing seeing as he's only played 7 league games. The sample size is just too small but his pass completion % from those 7 games is around 60% and it's never been elite level from what I can see.

Seeing as I am actually having trouble sleeping, I've had a look and found some stats on aiscore for last season; Obviously it's a small sample size for Romero and it's Europa vs premier league so it's going to be against poorer opposition, under less pressure but he still didn't come close to the other two.

2019/2020
Romero:
Europa
Appearances: 9
Pass accuracy: 76%
Accurate long balls per game: 2.6(31.9%)

Ederson:
PL
Appearances: 34
Pass accuracy: 87%
Accurate long balls per game: 3.6(54.5%)

Alisson:
PL
Appearances: 29
Pass accuracy: 84%
Accurate long balls per game: 3.7(48%)

Flexdegea

I was dubious about your claim as were a few others. I was even more dubious when your explanation involved recollection of one match, his league debut.

You've offered very little to back up what you've said. Players can't be judged on one game from 5 years ago and to be honest I don't think there's even enough evidence available to back up him being the best at anything in the league seeing seeing as he's only played 7 league games. The sample size is just too small but his pass completion % from those 7 games is around 60% and it's never been elite level from what I can see.

Seeing as I am actually having trouble sleeping, I've had a look and found some stats on aiscore for last season; Obviously it's a small sample size for Romero and it's Europa vs premier league so it's going to be against poorer opposition, under less pressure but he still didn't come close to the other two.

2019/2020
Romero:
Europa
Appearances: 9
Pass accuracy: 76%
Accurate long balls per game: 2.6(31.9%)

Ederson:
PL
Appearances: 34
Pass accuracy: 87%
Accurate long balls per game: 3.6(54.5%)

Alisson:
PL
Appearances: 29
Pass accuracy: 84%
Accurate long balls per game: 3.7(48%)
He talking nonsense again, and just latching on to your other mans nonsense.

Must be the 100th goalpost move In this thread to attack Ole with, goalkeeper now

Mainoldo

He talking nonsense again, and just latching on to your other mans nonsense.

Must be the 100th goalpost move In this thread to attack Ole with, goalkeeper now
@Withnail Lads. Grow up. No one was attacking Ole and stop thinking you have a group of mates on an Internet forum. It’s embarrassing.

I said what I said.. Romero is good on the ball. Unless if you don’t think he is fare enough. It’s not going to change what I think neither are the stats, when I’ve seen him play. At no point was I like Ole’s crap because he won’t play Romero.

Flexdegea

@Withnail Lads. Grow up. No one was attacking Ole and stop thinking you have a group of mates on an Internet forum. It’s embarrassing.

I said what I said.. Romero is good on the ball. Unless if you don’t think he is fare enough. It’s not going to change what I think neither are the stats, when I’ve seen him play. At no point was I like Ole’s crap because he won’t play Romero.

Glazed was doing that about pressing and the goalkeeper, and you made the point about romero some how being as good as city and liverpool keepers playing sweeper so I'd have to assume you are agreeing with him and having another dig at Ole.

You dont need to be dramatic with the embarrassing point :lol:

Skåre Willoch

When talking about which GK is better suited for a high pressing team, I think you've actually argued sensibly and balanced for once.
But you just had to go over the top and say that "Romero is as good as Alisson and Ederson with his feet", which you know is not true. And then you are willing to die on that hill, finding 1 example from his debut and following up with "I know what I've seen", instead of just admitting it was a silly example to prove a point. Nobody disagrees that he's a better passer than De Gea, and that's a good enough argument on its own to support your view.

Withnail

I never said anyone was attacking Ole. I'm not sure why you're lumping me in with other people.

Romero might be good on the ball but you said he was one of the best in the league which was fanciful.

If you don't think stats trump the 'eye-test' then there probably isn't much point entertaining any of your opinions. It seems to be that you don't like being proved wrong and are throwing your toys out of the pram. Now that's embarrassing.

FatherWolff

I remember watching a quiz on MUTV where Giggs didn't know how many managers had won the league title with United. I knew the answer. But there's a reason Giggs was in the team and I wasn't and it had nothing to do with "knowing the history". Lingard knows plenty about the club but Bruno doesn't and I know which one I prefer. Talent is what matters. Culture is something fans like to hype up to make their club feel more special than it is.

Juventus can't win anything outside of Italy either but they're not lacking culture. The issue is the same. The team isn't good enough. The history of the club is irrelevant.
No, the two go hand in hand. Having better players is obvious, but so should culture. I think the last 7 years have shown that, and most people who has been in a working environment know it to. Talent doesn’t do shit when negative energy. Ask Ravel Morrison.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Are people seriously comparing Dave and Romero now?
Romero is barely a slightly better passer than Dave, and his passsing may mean that we score a goal or two more. But having him between the sticks would mean that we concede 5-6 more goals as compared to DDG.

From a stats point of view, DDG's passing% was 77.1% while Romero was 79.1% (in EL and PL combined), however, when you add the context that Romero was playing in the easier games, you would notice that Romero's stats aren't as great as you think they are.

AshRK

You got to make them big decisions. They’ll cost you in the short run. He’s done it before he should do it again. If Henderson has a solid start give him the shirt. If he’s good with his feet. I cannot lie and say I’ve watched him much.
I think Ole is not afraid of making big calls so don't be surprised that by end of the season Henderson is our number 1.

Zen86

Van De Beek saying it’s a dream to join us shows how much of a draw Ole’s United is for players now

come at me

romufc

So Arteta gets plaudits for playing a defensive game, men behind the ball and counter attack.

Ole gets criticised for setting up defensive against Chelsea, City, Liverpool and getting results and the caf would say we only play counter attack and hope for individual to score goals.

What is the difference between how OIe set up against the bigger teams than Arteta?

Zen86

So Arteta gets plaudits for playing a defensive game, men behind the ball and counter attack.

Ole gets criticised for setting up defensive against Chelsea, City, Liverpool and getting results and the caf would say we only play counter attack and hope for individual to score goals.

What is the difference between how OIe set up against the bigger teams than Arteta?
Arteta is Spanish

AshRK

Arteta helped pep to set up cones in training so he has more hipster feel to him than a manager who managed in norway and was successful or Lampard who managed in championship and almost promoted his side to PL.

imamuppet

Its quite clear whats Ole's biggest problem,

its his name,

Now if he was called

Oleander Gunaldinhio Solskjærander

Then he would be a majestic manager, extraordinarily talented and destined for greatness

Last edited:

Zen86

Its quite clear whats Ole's biggest problem,

its his name,

Now if he was called

Oleander Gunaldinhio Solskjærander

Then he would be a majestic manager, extraordinarily talented and destined for greatness
It’s a shame he isn’t called Olé

romufc

His basic level is higher than Maguires and he is better with the ball.
He makes more stupid errors though so that is why I said on his good days.
His basic level is better than Maguire?

Maguire's passing accuracy in opp half is 78% and Luiz is 68%
Maguire wins 65% duels compared to 52%
Maguire wins 70% ariel duels compared to 55%
Maguire tackes is 68% compared to 57%

Luiz conceded 5 penalties to Maguire's 0 in the PL yet he has basic level which is higher?

You should sometimes let your agenda slide.
Name me stats which Luiz is better at Maguire apart from speed.

Paul_Scholes18

His basic level is better than Maguire?

Maguire's passing accuracy in opp half is 78% and Luiz is 68%
Maguire wins 65% duels compared to 52%
Maguire wins 70% ariel duels compared to 55%
Maguire tackes is 68% compared to 57%

Luiz conceded 5 penalties to Maguire's 0 in the PL yet he has basic level which is higher?

You should sometimes let your agenda slide.
Name me stats which Luiz is better at Maguire apart from speed.
I don't have an agenda against Maguire. I like Maguire and think he is overall better. Just think on his good day Luiz is better from watching him.
His passing over the lines can be great and he reads the game very well on his day.
He is not as good in the air and in tackling as Maguire though. Few are as is his strenght.
He scored one more goal than Maguire though, but I think Maguire will improve in attack next season hopefully.

Anyway the initial post was not about Maguire vs Luiz. It was just to point out that barely anyone from Arsenal would start for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.