Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennywise

:lol: This gets better! So when we finished 3rd and got to 3 semi-finals you had an issue? Why not give us your expert opinion on why this is the manager's fault and how all United's issues begin and end with the manager.
Ah 3rd and 3 semi finals. Such wonderful days. Getting absolutely bent over in a semifinal should be celebrated wildly. Again I never said all of utds problems begin and end with the manager but well done on making things up

Smores

The problem with this narrative is that it implies that Ole can't or doesn't coach a defense. Whereas actually our improvement last year was mainly built around the defense being a lot tighter (statistically 3rd best in the division). Our problem was more to do with our dreadful attack.

Now at the start of this season the defense has gone to shit, and there's still no attack. But if you want to criticise Ole's coaching, you should focus on the attack not the defense, because he's shown he can do the latter well.
I'd say that's because we were a low block countering team with McTominay and Fred providing much more protection. We still didn't look that great as a defence.

Now he's got full backs coming inside leaving gaps and has Pogba not protecting the defence in the same manner. The latter is obviously an issue but he's somehow made it worse rather than correcting it, hence more mistakes.

I don't expect Ole to be a great defensive coach, why the hell would he be. What i do expect is for him to make sure we've got someone on his staff who can do that job.

Gazza

True. People have selective memory over here.:)
In the 90s we also lost 1-5 to city and 6-3 to Southampton. If m not wrong in that same season (6-3 defeat at The dell) we lost first two or three games, then we recovered and won the league. But i need to confirm that.

Sometimes I wonder whether certain posters assume that under Fergie we never had mishaps :)
It’s equally facile and disingenuous to bring these results up in mitigation when the context is completely missing

Idxomer

That’s a stretch. Player errors happen from time to time and blaming the coach is not logical.

The coach or manager is the one who signs up to take responsibility for the results. When you lose 1-6 the coach has to expect a hammering but picking out individual errors and expecting a coach to eliminate them? Nah.
When the individual errors are coming from basically every area on the pitch, it points to either management or coaching not doing their job.

How many times are we going to blame results and the performances on the players not having a good day?

RUCK4444

Ah 3rd and 3 semi finals. Such wonderful days. Getting absolutely bent over in a semifinal should be celebrated wildly. Again I never said all of utds problems begin and end with the manager but well done on making things up
Give names on who you think wins the league and those three cups with this team you saw against Spurs today... Please

Since that’s what you were obviously expecting last season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a legend of the club, I want him gone before people really turn on him, it’s already started really. Get someone with no connection to the club, that way at least if it goes wrong it won’t feel as bad as it does now.

dev1l

It’s equally facile and disingenuous to bring these results up in mitigation when the context is completely missing
Not a question of context mate. People were saying that we never lost more than 4-1 under Fergie. I just pointed out 2 games fromy memory. Most probably there were more

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
But him loving the club, is a big reason why he's got the job? Surely, he's not one of them mercenaries hanging around for the money?
Earlier today during that mess of a game I thought he’d walk tbh. After listening to his post match Interview he said it’s happened to the club before so I don’t think he goes anywhere. It infuriated me hearing him say that, almost as much as smiling after the game, an I really like Ole. Ffs

OrcaFat

Good coaching reduces errors. Look at how many errors we suddenly had under Moyes and its because the coaching became a joke and players have said as much.

You need good organisation to provide the stability as it gives players confidence and they make less errors.
You can’t blame the coach for every individual error. Players have said so. But something is not right when you get so many errors happening in clusters.

Good coaching wins matches over the long term. It’s not looking good on that score just now.

Bojan11

I take your point but from this game alone:
- we continue with passing out from the back which has almost undone us in every game, and in this game it did. We don’t have the players to play like this so why are we doing it?
- we knew son would be the dangerous one on the breaks, why didnt we plan accordingly?
- why wait so long to change the midfield? You could have driven a bus through it today
- show some emotion ffs. Every time the camera panned to Ole he looked defeated and out of ideas.
The passing out the back was a major issue against Southampton. They exposed our defence that day when we tried to pass around the back. Yet 2 months later, we haven’t improved and we still pretty bad at it.

MattofManchester

Owen and Sherwood threw him so far under the bus, it was surprising. First time I'd seen that from pundits.

MalcolmTucker

I think Ole did a good job last season. We finished in as high of a position as we could realistically achieve and did so despite being unlucky with injuries and being threadbare squad-wise for the first half. I think the players he booted out and the players he put trust in showed he had the right idea for the sort of style United should be playing.

I've defended Ole in this thread because I felt he's done a lot of good in a short amount of time, but it's a new season and so far it's been a bit of a shambles, especially defensively. I'm not saying he should be sacked now, but he has to find good form going forward

el3mel

Not a question of context mate. People were saying that we never lost more than 4-1 under Fergie. I just pointed out 2 games fromy memory. Most probably there were more
Huh ? No one said this. All I said was Moyes, LVG and Mourinho never lost anything more than 4-1 and 3-0 even in their worst days. No one talked about Fergie. The 6-1 against City is completely out of context. City had a much better squad than us this season, and they went on to win the league. We were league champions previous season and won the league the next one. Completely different situation.

For the post Ferige era, today is definitely a new low.

NJM78

Honestly people are overrating this 3rd too much. We had a great end to last season, true, it was positive and a thing to get optimistic about, but we got 3rd with 66 points, 66 goals scored and 18 wins. Exactly similar numbers to what we got when we finished 6th the season before it, also 66 points, 65 goals scored and 19 wins.

But people just don't want to listen. "points doesn't matter". "Each season is different"..etc, etc. It's like it's hard to remove red tinted glasses some times to analyze the situation better.

The only positive thing from last season was the run after the restart when we looked impressive. Otherwise, most of the season was crap. We actually started to go down in terms of performance during the 0-3 win against Villa in which a dodgy pen made the breakthrough for us. After that it was mostly a slog, and we're carrying the same form into current season.

During LVG and Mourinho era the expectations from the fan base was much higher. Now it's good enough for Manchester United to get top 4 with 66 points and have a trophyless season.

People need to review themselves and how their expectations went downhill under Ole before they manage to regain it to the high standards we were used to again.
This.

crossy1686

career ending
What were those issues and how long do they need to be coached to resolve?

Or do you just think improvements can only be made through swapping one player for another?
I think playing for United has had a negative effect on quite a few of our players who can't handle the pressure. I can't remember the last time there was a positive sentiment around United on social media, and that's the board's doing. It must be shit to pick up your phone every day and hear about how shit you are from armchair United fan's because you haven't won anything.

We need winners and we need to create some positivity in and around the club. At the end of the season where Jose got sacked there wasn't a single player in the team that was likable. We've come a long way since then in 12 months and we've got a lot further to go.

Changing the manager might work in the short term but what happens when Pogba phones in another performance, Maguire doesn't block a quick free kick or Shaw loses his marker? Are the team always going to be poorly coached or do we actually need better players who aren't jaded of being at United?

Being a United player is great when you're winning but it must be the 7th circle of hell when you're not.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I said at the back end of last season, finishing third is gonna end in a big downfall.
Third kept Ole in a job, a job that he doesn't deserve, or is even qualified to do, resulting in this season being wasted.

I've wanted him gone before the poor start to the season (Even though I said by getting third, he doesn't really deserve sacking)
Look at Bielsa at Leeds and Carlo at Everton. They're getting the best out of their players. Ole has a decent set of players but penalties and individual brilliance are what got us through matches. He just doesn't get the best, let alone anything out of this side.

That being said, we could hire any manager in the world right now and nothing will change.
The signings have not been good enough. Not under Ole, Jose, LvG or Moyes. The only real success we've had are the two free signings. One a backup keeper and one a striker for a season. The rest, absolutely useless or underwhelming.

Owners
Board
Ed and Matt

The lot.
This club is set up to fail right now and until them above are changed, we'll stay the same

dev1l

Huh ? No one said this. All I said was Moyes, LVG and Mourinho never lost anything more than 4-1 and 3-0 even in their worst days. No one talked about Fergie. The 6-1 against City is completely out of context. City had a much better squad than us this season, and they went on to win the league. We were league champions previous season and won the league the next one. Completely different situation.

For the post Ferige era, today is definitely a new low.
And the 6-3 vs Southampton?

dogwithabone

If Woodward and the board were honest I think they’d admit that Pochettino is the man they earmarked for this job after Moyes went but he’s never been realistically gettable until now. Do we pass up the opportunity to get the most obvious fit yet ? He’s a phone call away and the temptation must be weighing heavily on Woodward.

Gazza

Jolly good, that’s fair enough - for a moment I thought you were trying to excuse today or say it’s not so bad because it has happened before! It’s completely different this time compared to the examples under Fergie, sounds like we agree on that :)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Potch in but let’s be honest, we aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. The board is a shambles.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Do you know what? I have that little faith in the higher ups that I'm sure we would mess up replacing Ole, if we were to sack him. We'd end up bringing in Mark Hughes or Giggs, or Scholes. This is exactly what would happen.
:lol: It’s Sad that I laughed at that.

el3mel

Can't comment on this as I wasn't even watching football back then, I was 1 year old or something. :D Though 6-3 is just 3 goals different, from 6-1.

Beside no one has really brought Fergie into this. I'm talking about the post Fergie days.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think Ole did a good job last season. We finished in as high of a position as we could realistically achieve and did so despite being unlucky with injuries and being threadbare squad-wise for the first half. I think the players he booted out and the players he put trust in showed he had the right idea for the sort of style United should be playing.

I've defended Ole in this thread because I felt he's done a lot of good in a short amount of time, but it's a new season and so far it's been a bit of a shambles, especially defensively. I'm not saying he should be sacked now, but he has to find good form going forward
Season being stopped and then restarted did him a big big service. We were in a bad form with many injuries, whilst our competitors were in a good form without that many players missing. Leicester imploded after the break they won 2 games out of 9.

dev1l

Jolly good, that’s fair enough - for a moment I thought you were trying to excuse today or say it’s not so bad because it has happened before! It’s completely different this time compared to the examples under Fergie, sounds like we agree on that :)
It s bad...extremely bad.
Why it s completely different this time?

I mean losing 6-1 was bad 50 years ago and it s still bad today

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The passing out the back was a major issue against Southampton. They exposed our defence that day when we tried to pass around the back. Yet 2 months later, we haven’t improved and we still pretty bad at it.
It drives me insane. We are so bad at it

dev1l

Can't comment on this as I wasn't even watching football back then, I was 1 year old or something. :D Though 6-3 is just 3 goals different, from 6-1.

Beside no one has really brought Fergie into this. I'm talking about the post Fergie days.
Why not? Because it s more convenient?
:)

Enigma_87

You know who
The 6-3 vs Soton, 6-1 against City and 5-0 against Newcastle were one off games in a 25 years of managerial career.

We're talking about 3 straight games that we should/could've conceded easily 5-6 goals in each.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Get dogged 6-1 at home and he comes off the pitch smiling, then this screenshot from Reddit:

Someone who feels very secure in his job regardless to how he performs.
Absolute joke of a pair of posts.

Because the way he looks is a way to criticise him?

I would assume that he rips them all a new as*hole in private.

Ole isn’t exactly happy that we lost FFS.

oH hE’s SmIliNg tHaT mUsT mEaN hE dOeSn’T gIvE a ShItE!! OlE oUt!

Yeah....the man who lives and breathes man utd, more than any of us will, the man who fought to the bitter end to win us the treble, the man who famously took out a player with a professional foul to not lose a league game, clearly doesn’t give a feck because be smiled for a bit. Woop de doo.

Give me a fecking break, bunch of armchair managers.

dev1l

Season being stopped and then restarted did him a big big service. We were in a bad form with many injuries, whilst our competitors were in a good form without that many players missing. Leicester imploded after the break they won 2 games out of 9.
Wrong. When season was stopped we were starting to get better.
Momentum was halted by the break.
After the break even.if we got the results, our football was not as good as before.

Rolaholic

Can't help but feel for him honestly, his tactics could obviously be better but he's really been let down by the club after fulfilling his obligation in regards to the clubs targets last season.

Now he'll be the one to take the fall while the blood suckers in suits who run the club will still be around laughing their way to the bank

el3mel

Why not? Because it s more convenient?
:)
Because different circumstance and different context. We have replied on this several times.

A league champion who challenges for the league regularly and loses 6 or 5 is a easily one off. A team who has been crap and loses 6 is just a continuation of what has been happening, it's not a one off. You have to differentiate between a game that's one off or not.

Mainoldo

Inappropriate Behavior
Always he’s second language when it’s difficult times.

Reiver

I always feel that after that kind of performance/defeat, a manager should offer their resignation.
I don't expect Ole will nor that Woodward would accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.