Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dve

Surely no true United fan can stomach any more of this novice. Ole couldn't even get the signing of Halland over the line. We will end up paying crazy money in a year or 2. GET OLE OUT NOW!!!!!!
The negotiations with United and Raiola/Alf Inge Håland broke down because United could not swallow their demands (buy out clause and percentages of next sale). According to reports in numerous Norwegian outlets today, anyway. United could not obey to their demands also of principal reasons, because the next sale would in practice be in the hands of the agent.

So screw that. These are contract details concerning Haaland leaving United, not joining United, so bye bye, and well done turning it down.

Last edited:

Eriku

Surely no true United fan can stomach any more of this novice. Ole couldn't even get the signing of Halland over the line. We will end up paying crazy money in a year or 2. GET OLE OUT NOW!!!!!!
This is a funny joke, right?

Greck

Whether he's the right man or not, Ole refused to mortgage our future to save his job. By now Jose would have had his compound dog Luckhurst and other josephiles kicking up a storm about not being backed. The ridiculous clauses would be cited as 'minor transfer details'

Giggsyking

I want this Novice manager out of the club now. But you can not be serious about blaming him for this deal not going through! It was a matter of principle which I respect the club doing.

Zen86

When SAF rotated players we were almost on top of the league or there abouts. So he can afford to rotate and freshen up players. At this moment in time every game is a cup final for us. We cannot afford to try and rotate players and lose points. We need to win every game right now. We cannot afford to think about games next week or next month. Today's result shows that we would have a hard time catching up with Chelsea. It means we may not get the CL spot.
We have also lost to Dortmund to sign Haarland. Honestly I am not so sorry to see him not sign for us. We need midfield players and one really quick and very good CB too. Someone like Haarland is not a priority.
It’s all well and good saying we should treat every game as a cup final, but that really isn’t practical or feasible during a full 38 game season. You rest players when you see an opportunity, it’s short sighted to think otherwise.

NJM78

I dislike Ole as a manager and have little faith in his ability but I can’t knock him for the Haaland deal not being done.

Hopefully Ole is let go at end of the season after once again we miss out on CL.

Last edited:

Zen86

I dislike Ole as a manager and have little faith in his ability but I can’t knock him for the Harland deal not being done.

Hopefully Ole is let go at end of the season after once again we miss out on CL.
That’s the spirit

Marcus

A couple of decent results but the same weird decisions on late substitutions. The Shaw for Martial was pathetic, even Fergie couldn't believe it as its been shown on all the videos. The same defensive minded decision cost Utd points at Sheff Utd.
It really depends on his instructions to Shaw. It might have been, I want you to shore up the left side but you will be playing as a winger above Brandon. Fall back and defend if the attack breaks down. Then that would not be a defensive sub.

Halftrack

Write like a grown up, please.

RUCK4444

This is the point where you smash your controller and sell your entire FIFA ultimate team squad.

Dave Burkinas

Given the mess of the squad he started with I'd say he's outperformed everyone except Klopp and Rogers this season, and inconsistency is much more manageable than the tepid slides we saw under the previous three managers. Ole will stay with us for the long term, we should with him.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Some stats:
First 14 games of this season - 4 wins, 16 goals
Last 14 games of this season - 8 wins, 30 goals

It's pretty bonkers to even be talking about sacking him at the moment.

He still has a lot to prove and there are things I'm not happy with. There'll also be questions if we hit another poor run of form, but we are improving and moving in the right direction. The performances and results are of such that any opinion saying otherwise is simply just plain wrong.

He's earned the right for people to be hopeful and backing him at this moment rather than sniping like a bunch of spiteful children, I think. When we have sacked Moyes, LVG, and Jose, it's been at a point where the team and results are going backwards under that particular manager rather than improving. The opposite is happening here.

jem

Some stats:

He still has a lot to prove and there are things I'm not happy with. There'll also be questions if we hit another poor run of form, but we are improving and moving in the right direction. The performances and results are of such that any opinion saying otherwise is simply just plain wrong.

He's earned the right for people to be hopeful and backing him at this moment rather than sniping like a bunch of spiteful children, I think. When we have sacked Moyes, LVG, and Jose, it's been at a point where the team and results are going backwards under that particular manager rather than improving. The opposite is happening here.
Yeah, I pretty much agree, despite not being convinced by Ole. I do think he needs to be backed to the hilt in the transfer market (as any other manager at a top side should be.)

jem

What a moronic post! First of all, how is it Ole's fault that Haaland chose Dortmund? And what's more, I think the money could be much better spend elsewhere.

jem

I dislike Ole as a manager and have little faith in his ability but I can’t knock him for the Haaland deal not being done.

Weird timing considering he's actually got us within touching distance of 4th place again.

Paul_Scholes18

Some stats:

It is not fully true though. With Moyes I thought we actually started improving near the end. Not enough for me to want him to stay, but he was finally getting Mata to perform then as a number 10 and our football looked good in some games.
It was during the winter we looked really poor when we got knocked out of both cups and also lost to teams like Stoke.
Against Pep he almost knocked them out too although we pretty much only parked the bus and hoped for the best.

With LVG we won the Fa cup in the end. Rashford also made us play better fotball near the end. Granted it was still not great and the defeat against West ham was pretty bad. We won 8/12 games in the league though since Rashford got the chance and the Fa cup.
Although knocked out by Pool hurt. Still I think moving LVG on was the right call since the fotball was horrible to watch and he was terrible in the market, but the form was way better than the one we are having now when he got sacked.

With Mourinho though you are fully right. It was obvious to fire him at that point or a few games before.

lysglimt

Scout

Yeah he is a despicable man. It's time we get a more positive manager in, like Mourinho

Mr. Meeseeks

What are you talking? Martial is doing what he has always done. AWB likewise. Pogba has played one half where he did nothing, cuz he didn't need to do anything, and the other was just 30 mins.

Fred's improvement is a credit to Ole's management, not coaching. There is nothing new to Fred's game that can be attributed to Ole's coaching.

When I talk about Ole's coaching, I'm looking for patterns on the ball, better ideas with the ball. What do you think it is that we do with the ball? What's our style?
Coaching is the act of training or instructing someone with the aim of improving their performance. They work on technique, conditioning, mentality etcetera. But the end product is better performing players.

The examples you gave are part of the tactical approach of the team and has nothing to do with coaching. The staff might work on drilling the tactics into the players using good coaching, but the patterns, overall shape and attacking ideas are tactics that are designed by Ole and his team long before they get to the players.

But you are right that sometimes it doesn’t seem like the players fully understand their roles in some games. It might be that they were coached poorly on their roles, but it might also be the case that Ole’s tactics are to blame in those games.

If you can sum up Oles contribution to the team as ‘Yeah Fred’s alright, but Martial hasn’t improved and neither has AWB’ with no mentions at all on any other positive, then you need to look beyond your agenda.

RG 11

I was in sack ole camp earlier in the season but I see signs of improvement in the team and it seems like we'll just restart the transition all over again if we sack him this season. Also we're competing for fourth now so I see no real reason to sack him.

Would be prudent to give him another season to really build up on this as I think he has the right idea for club's direction but is backed by sheer incompetence in the transfer market.

Some stats:

Gotta agree, was fuming with how we were after Watford but the 2 wins since them should have bought the management team some patience from everyone as some decent form followed by a shit patch has actually turned out to be a long period of good form with a slight bump in the road.

The management team still need to keep this up though, it’s no good winning just 2 out of the next 5 in the league now, this squad has more than proven recently that it should challenge for top 4 at bare minimum.

Ole should also be pressuring the board as much as possible to bring in 2 players during Jan as we’ve seen just how light the squad is.

Just as Spanner said below, I can see us regretting it long term but you don’t fire a manager when his side is in a good run of form & if Ole can keep his side within sight of 4th he’ll stay.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Some stats:

Yeah I've been as vocal as anyone about wanting him out but credit where credit is due, he's gone on the sort of run, points wise, I thought he was completely incapable of.

I still don't think he's up to the task long term and I think we will probably end up regretting letting actual top managers slip by us under his reign but sacking him now is simply an impossibility.

crossy1686

career ending
A bunch of players have improved, we're beating the top sides in the league, we've beaten some of the teams that defend deep against us, lots of youth players getting a chance and playing well. Isn't this what people wanted by bringing Pochettino in?

We're inconsistent but that's what you get with a young side, look at Chelsea also, they're having similar issues. If we play with more intensity every game we'll be more consistent.

You've got all the ex-United players who are pundits saying Ole needs time and you've got all the non-ex-United pundits saying Ole doesn't know what he's doing. For some reason people on here seem to think pro-Liverpool pundits know more about United and have more valid opinions...

Mainoldo

A bunch of players have improved, we're beating the top sides in the league, we've beaten some of the teams that defend deep against us, lots of youth players getting a chance and playing well. Isn't this what people wanted by bringing Pochettino in?

We're inconsistent but that's what you get with a young side, look at Chelsea also, they're having similar issues. If we play with more intensity every game we'll be more consistent.

You've got all the ex-United players who are pundits saying Ole needs time and you've got all the non-ex-United pundits saying Ole doesn't know what he's doing. For some reason people on here seem to think pro-Liverpool pundits know more about United and have more valid opinions...
Would you insult a friend infront of tv audiences knowing you could stop his very nice income?

No you wouldn’t... which is exactly why people take that same approach you are oddly so curious about. But hopefully I’ve explained it to you now.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
I voted sack(painfully), but i can not deny that there are improvements generally.These are the things I am impressed mostly.

(1) I like the way he is managing the youngsters Greenwood and Williams especially.
(2) Martial, Fred, Rashy, James, McT have improved under him.
(3) Our build up is becoming faster, we are making more penetrative passes than before.
(4) We are learning how to break teams that are sitting deep and compact down.
(5) We are slightly retaining the ball better, rather than giving it away and inviting pressure(we did this earlier in the season and under Jose).

The things I expect Ole to improve on.

(1) We are still inconsistent, we need to string together at least 3/4 consecutive wins to boost the confidence of this young squad.
(2) He needs to be more ruthless with the likes of JLings .
(3) He needs to get an assistant who will help him set up the team against the lesser sides.Despite Sir's genius he still had capable assistants.
(4) He should get at least one midfielder in January.If it means throwing Ed under the bus, he should.
(5) I still dont like his body language when things are going south.
(6) He should comment more on poor officiating during press conferences(After Burnley game I was astonished that he didnt ask for more protection for James after Burnley players 'wrestled' him.

Reactions: Rood

OJKernow

Whilst we're still fighting on 4 fronts (Top 4, 2x Domestic Cups & Europa League) and with results and performances on the up it would be madness to get rid of him now.

Do I think Ole will win the PL or CL with us? Probably not (although one can dream).

Do I think he's the right man to oversee the rebuild and instil the right culture and attitude in the short-mid term. Yes, 100%.

After that, who knows. But let's get behind him and give him time to clear out more of the deadwood and bring in some more young/hungry players. A few cup runs (possibly winning one) and more of the same in terms of performances and results in the big games is realistically the best we can hope for right now, and after what we've generally had to watch for the last few years, I would take that.

Steve Bruce

Some stats:

I voted sack him. Now that was during the period of being closer to relegation than top 4.

However, I haven't changed my vote because despite an upturn in results, we still drop them against sides we really should be beating and Ole shows no signs of learning from those mistakes.

In saying that it would be harsh to sack him right now, wrong even. But I'm not going to change my vote at every good or bad run.

If Ole gets us top 4, averaging 2 points per game for the rest of the season then I'll change my vote.

crossy1686

career ending
Would you insult a friend infront of tv audiences knowing you could stop his very nice income?

No you wouldn’t... which is exactly why people take that same approach you are oddly so curious about. But hopefully I’ve explained it to you now.
So all the ex-United pundits can't have an opinion because he's their mate? That's called bending the truth to fit a narrative. The reality is no one outside of United fans give a shit about United nor follow us closely, especially Liverpool fans who are on the verge of their first PL in 30+ years. Their opinion on all matters concerning us is about as valid as my opinion on Liverpool back in 2008.

But yeah, whatever, Gary Neville's a dick and Carragher is a much better pundit obviously.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If Ole doesn't get top 4 spot this season he is just keeping the seat warm for Poch, imo.
It all depends on what Woodwards expectations were coming into the season. Short of a collapse from here on in I don't think there is any chance that Ole won't be in charge come the first game of next season.

MonkeysMagic

Weird comment. An opinion poll is based on opinions..... which would change depending on many variables... results being one of them..
But surely 'the opinion' cannot be so flaky as to change with whatever direction the wind is blowing. The only opinion to consider here, which I believe is the purpose of the poll, is whether Ole is the right manager to make Utd title contenders? How can that opinion vary with every game: either he is or he isn't?

tonnas

at this point Ole will stay and we have to evaluate everythign come May, if he wins a cup or 2/3 (I believe all 3 cups are achievable) and we finsih top 4 and see some progress (I am slighlty more positive after the burnley game as I actually saw some attakcing schemes/patterns) then he should stay, if not a new manager has to come in and continue to build up !

Status
Not open for further replies.