Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fts 74

There's some absolute fecking ridiculous posts on here, completely ignoring the fact that our direct style is the reason why City struggle so much against us. We've created more chances than them home and away in the league, but the experts on here would rather us to sacrifice that and instead play tippy tappy football at the back to raise our possession stats.
Couldn't agree more.

Who cares about 70% possession we had that with van gaal and it was like watching paint dry the most excruciating football I've ever seen at utd.

We thoroughly deserved to win yesterday.

shaky

This is my favourite line at the moment. Giving Solskjaer shit for not signing Bruno sooner.
A top manager would have psychically known that our best midfielder was going to be injured for most of the season. You don't learn skills like that getting relegated with Molde.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Been ruthless with the deadwood

Youngsters have been bedded in

AWB: Best defensive RB in the world (?) and looks to improve his offensive play
Maguire: Expensive as hell, but has really stepped up of late and become the leader in defense that we have longed for
James: Hes not the best player around, but his pace and good engine makes him a very useful squad player. Well worth the money
Bruno: Best singing post Fergie? Has completely transformed our midfield

And more importantly, the attitude and desire seems to have improved and the squad seems more close knit than in a long time. The scenes after yesterday was incredible

Maybe its just victory rush from yesterday, and even if Ole might not be the best manager around and wont win us the PL or the CL, i think he has us on the right path in terms of rebuilding the squad into something proper. No one can deny our win rate this season has been pretty bad, but purely within the context of the "rebuild" we have been struggling with for years now i think hes done a really good job.

Give him more time to finish his vision and if we still cant challenge for the PL, hand over the reins to someone else. Worst case scenario we will have a much better squad

rotherham_red

Possession means absolutely nothing if you cannot score or create chances. How many chances did they create? In fact we had more shots on target than them. To say we were coward yesterday is absolute joke and shows how much people are biased towards Ole. It was a top performance where we 100 percent deserved to win. It was not a smash and grab like you want to make it look like.
Not only that, we had more shots overall, more shots on target, and more shots off target.

James Ward

I think Ole has done okay but his tactics against the lesser teams needs to improve big time. I think he deserves another season regardless of champions league qualification or not.

He is cut throat with regards who he wants to stay and leave and delighted that Jesse and Andreas didn't make the squad against City. They are surely on the way out in the Summer.

I think his signings have been spot on and hopefully in the Summer we wrap up Grealish and Jordan Sancho.

Like this team looks exciting for next season.

Rashford Martial Sancho
Bruno Pogba Fred

AshRK

Not only that, we had more shots overall, more shots on target, and more shots off target.
Exactly. Had Martial and James been less selfish and passed to Bruno we could have won that 3-0 or even 4-0. City created absolutely nothing.

RUCK4444

I have stoically backed OGS and never once wavered or changed my vote. But it's not about gloating and we haven't achieved anything YET...

For me, and I've made this point many times, rather than solely looking at league position and results I've been focusing mostly on three key areas; Recruitment, Player Improvement and Tactical intent. Ultimately these are the three areas that will take us forward and complete a successful rebuild, which is what needs to happen before we start demanding trophies. These also happen to be three areas that I feel Ole has excelled in (and the previous managers have failed miserably in.)

Recruitment: It was clear that we needed to add quality, we did well in the summer but clearly needed more in midfield and attack, the addition of Bruno has been outstanding. Recruitment has been excellent, every addition has improved us IMO. In a perfect world Ed would have gotten us Bruno in the summer rather than January. In addition the clear out of deadwood was expedited in the summer, perhaps hastily, but it needed doing and time is of the essence for managers, especially the one sat in the United dugout. I've no time for anybody that tries to limit the praise Ole get's for his recruitment.

Player Improvement: Has been excellent. Fred - Completely transformed. MCTominay - Making Strides. Martial - Best season at United. Rashford - Best season at United pre-injury. Shaw - Looking the player we hoped we had bought. Matic - Back to his old self. Not to mention his handling of the young players like Williams, Dan James, Greenwood which again has been outstanding IMO.

Tactical Intent: To me it has been clear pretty much since Ole started in the temp position that his intent has been to have the team press high, which is something that has been lacking for what seems like a decade. This is a key area I've been wanting each of the previous managers to implement. This approach backfired somewhat last season as we didn't quite have the squad and fitness to implement it properly but I'm confident it's going to be a big part of the approach in the future which I believe is an absolute must for us as a team going forward in the modern game. The passing has been progressive and generally forwards compared especially when you compare that to the previous managers, likewise the one/two touch interplay has been hugely improved IMO. Lots of examples of this when we are seemingly pinned in on the touchline and play some very nice one touch triangles to get back on the front foot.

Of course Ole needs to prove it in the league table and ultimately that is what he will be judged on, and rightly so of course, however if you drop the negativity and assess our play and approach fairly these positives are as clear as day.

We still have a way to go yet, but importantly, before we can make great strides we needed to get the above basics right. We are now in a position, perhaps for the first time in years, where we can genuinely be excited about our summer window and what that may add to this young energetic side.

crossy1686

career ending
Possession means absolutely nothing if you cannot score or create chances. How many chances did they create? In fact we had more shots on target than them. To say we were coward yesterday is absolute joke and shows how much people are biased towards Ole. It was a top performance where we 100 percent deserved to win. It was not a smash and grab like you want to make it look like.
Under Van Gaal, we played West Brom and had 79.71% possession.

Do you know what the score was?

1-0 West Brom...

AshRK

Under Van Gaal, we played West Brom and had 79.71% possession.

Do you know what the score was?

1-0 West Brom...
And that's why saying a team was more dominant because they had more possession is illogical. We completely outplayed City and gave them zero sniff. All they were doing is passing the ball in midfield. In fact yesterday was Ole's best game tactically. He realized Mahrez is giving Williams trouble so he brought on Bailly and moved Shaw there. He is learning and definitely deserves more respect.

targetman

he's putting pieces in place and I don't think we'd find another manager (with the same knowledge of the club) who'd accept our long term rebuild variant.

whether he will be here when we lift our next throphy remains to be seen, but he's part of the process.

no need to do anything until at least the summer, at the earliest.

Alabaster Codify7

And that's why saying a team was more dominant because they had more possession is illogical. We completely outplayed City and gave them zero sniff. All they were doing is passing the ball in midfield. In fact yesterday was Ole's best game tactically. He realized Mahrez is giving Williams trouble so he brought on Bailly and moved Shaw there. He is learning and definitely deserves more respect.

Credit where it's due to Ole, he did great yesterday and has done for a month or something now, awesome.

But come on, I could have done this. 18yr old LB getting given a nightmare? More experienced LB on the field? Shift him onto the left and bring on a new CB. That's really basic management, man - there's plenty of stuff to big up Ole over lately, without exaggerating every minor piece of work as being brilliant. Basic management, that one.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Probably needs the option: Finish the season and reassess then.

Offsideagain

The problem with all forums is that if someone disagrees with whatever has been posted, they will declare the post as rubbish or the forum has gone to the dogs. No problem, that’s human nature. Back to the issue of Ole. Well, I feared for him in the Autumn especially when Pogba went lame again but he and his staff have got their heads down and it has improved both in footballing terms and results. He did say it would take time and it is improving. The point has been made elsewhere that Ole, unlike previous managers, isn’t beholding to any particularly agent like Mourinho and LVG were so we haven’t bought overpriced no-hopers since. Only my opinion of course. Give Ole another season I say. If they sack him and bring in Poch, it’s back to square one and two years from now nothing will have changed . I still maintain losing David Gill had a catastrophic effect on the club which we still haven’t got a grip of. Keep Ole.

AshRK

Credit where it's due to Ole, he did great yesterday and has done for a month or something now, awesome.

But come on, I could have done this. 18yr old LB getting given a nightmare? More experienced LB on the field? Shift him onto the left and bring on a new CB. That's really basic management, man - there's plenty of stuff to big up Ole over lately, without exaggerating every minor piece of work as being brilliant. Basic management, that one.
No one is exagerating anything. I have always said Ole's in game management is very bad and he has to improve so it was refreshing to see him adapt to Pep's substitution. May sound simple and basic but still has to be done.

matt10000

Basically, our tactics are not good enough.

Why are people on this forum prepared to settle for a manager who is arguably the worst in the EPL? It makes no sense.
How many managers in the EPL have beaten Pep three times in a season?

How many managers have ever beaten a Pep team three times in a season?

Once you could say got lucky but three times against the supposed master technician and you say Ole’s tactics are not good enough! Behave yourself.

Last edited:

caid

Long term i'd be looking to replace him. But it'd have to be an outstanding candidate and i'm happy to keep solskjaer in the meantime. Nagelsmann or Tuchel would tempt me in the right circumstances but i wouldn't be in a mad rush to get them immediately.

midnightmare

Seriously, you really think beating Derby and Tramere is a measure of progress? We struggled to a draw vs Everton and Wolves... the run isn’t the corner turned people think it is.... I hope I’m wrong.
I've always been a believer in seeing "patterns" over a period that can be accepted as statistically representative or significant.

Let's take Jose to start with and look at his first few years at elite clubs. He was brilliant in the biggest games. Would not just completely negate the opponents and defang them, but also get his teams to stamp their own authority on the games and win them. Nobody calls that Inter success over Barca a "fluke" or a "lucky" result. That Barca team was one of the best of all time and yet Jose beat them handily. It was seen as a phenomenal display and a sign of his managerial chops and prowess. Why? Because he did it routinely. It wasn't a one-off. He'd made a habit of this. With Porto and then Chelsea and now he was doing it with Inter. Cut to a decade later and he was trying similar tactics, but without having built that siege mentality and against teams and managers that had moved much further tactically while he was stuck playing the same old way. His players didn't even buy into it, and with each season, his big-game record has got worse. So when Spurs beat Man City this season, it was classed as a fluke and a very lucky win. Reason? Patterns. Seen as a part of a larger set of data, it's clear he's past it and just relies on blind luck to win a big game.

Come to Ole now and apply a similar reasoning and you will see that he manages to win the big games with regularity. It can be luck a couple of times but when you make a habit of winning these games against the best and biggest in League and Cups, it's no longer a fluke. It's not luck any more. It's clearly a winning approach. It's not even as if he approaches every game with the same setup and style. There are clear tweaks he makes to formations, personnel and tactics and more often than not, he's trumped far more hyped teams and managers. Apart from Klopp, he's beaten all comers at least once if not more. That's not a fluke or luck or by virtue of "not having a plan".

Now, go and look at our results and you'll find that the more we faced teams that just sat back in a low block and were happy with a draw and played with the hope of keeping it tight and if lucky, nicking a goal on the counter, the worse we fared. Even now, we have, what, 17/21 points from the Top-6 teams (something like that). So our results against the weaker teams are the ones we clearly needed to better. We seem to have started doing that. Frankly, if you now want to dismiss the "run" because it's "just the lesser lights", you're either missing the big picture or simply just on the lookout for a stick to beat Ole with without consideration for whether it's merited or not.

lolok

Probably needs the option: Finish the season and reassess then.
Agree.

I'm still in the unimpressed camp and I don't get overexcited with 1 win, nor with 1 loss. I look @ his entire body of work. When Rodgers takes over Leicester 3 months after Ole takes over United--- and has what I think to be a lesser talented team in 3rd--- it's harder for me to to buy the "time" argument.

Am I rooting against Ole? Heck no. Just bc I am unimpressed with his body of work, doesn't mean I don't want United to win and I don't support Ole 100%. In fact, it's the reverse. I really want Champions League football. I really want United to sign Sancho and others in the summer--- and if United get Top 4, then it increases their chances to do so. So it's not wrong for me to say, I'm unimpressed with Ole, but at the same time, support him 100%; because I want to see United WIN.

That said, here are some positive facts. 11 clean sheets out of 14. (Should be 12-- thanks De Gea.) The defense has been lights out since basically the turn of the year. If the defense keeps this up, and United squeeze into top 4-- then one could make an argument about an additional year. As people's opinions changed about Fred over the course of the season, Ole has the opportunity to change people's opinions of him by finishing the year strong. 9 EPL games left, and he has to finish top 4 or win the EL. 4 home, 5 away. 3 vs top 10 in the table. (@Tottenham, Sheff, @ Leic.) It's not too difficult of a run in, so finishing top 4 is doable.

Reactions: Sultan

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think that’s the intent of the middle option. That’s the way I treated it when I voted for that way back when.
Yeah, same. I was then of the opinion that we should replace him at the end of the season. But I want to see how he does in the next couple of months so I'm not 100% Ole out come the end of the season.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah, same. I was then of the opinion that we should replace him at the end of the season. But I want to see how he does in the next couple of months so I'm not 100% Ole out come the end of the season.

Same, if he ticks my personal boxes I'm all for giving him a summer window and another season to see how far he can take us. He's on the right path at present, we'll see how he and the squad keep up.

Judas

Open to offers
Honestly if he keeps this up, and we finish strong, I'd rather keep him for another season than go for Poch who I don't really like IF it looks like we're going places and improving, seems odd to destroy it. Keep an eye on Nagelsmann or Rose and line one of those up when they're ready.

But it all depends on how this season finishes, we're in a brilliant position to finish strong, down to Ole and the players to deliver.

This can still go pear shape pretty quickly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@lolok
I'm quite similar - I'm looking at his whole time here. But the last month or two are the most progress he's shown so far. Also, de Gea is also the reason we've got those clean sheets and one of our defenders commits a major mistake in almost every game, it's just more bearable than if it's de Gea (see Maguire getting sat on his ass by Aguero yesterday - Matic bailing him out).

Same, if he ticks my personal boxes I'm all for giving him a summer window and another season to see how far he can take us. He's on the right path at present, we'll see how he and the squad keep up.
I still don't think he's the one for the long-term but if he does stay on for next season I'm not worried by the makeup of the squad. I think he'll buy the right players in the market (obviously, CL is a prerequisite) and he'll continue to build the right atmosphere within the team. It's just whether he can actually coach a team to become more than OK/good, and whether he can identify the right coaches to help him do so.

I used to think of him as a placeholder this season, but he could just as well be a placeholder for a bit longer, while we continue this rebuild. But the opportunity is clearly here for him to improve and earn the job he was given.

Footyislife

I take it you have been taking a break from football the last couple of months?

Tranmere 6-0, Watford 3-0, Brugge 5-0, Derby 3-0.
You realize your evidence includes a grand total of 1 EPL team?

Try again in a few weeks please

Footyislife

Nothing has changed ?
Did we only win against big teams in the last 11 games ? We did not.

I wonder what you guys are on about.
You need to wake up.
If I need to wake up, you need to keep dreaming.

Lately in the EPL we've beat a grand total of 1 relegation team. Otherwise we are 2-1 against the top 4, 2 draws against mid side, and a loss to Burnley off the top of my head.

Don't be knee jerk fans. Look at data and evaluate. Otherwise you are no better than the "geniuses" in charge who gave Ole the job after a short run of over performance.

Mihai

I changed my view from sack him now to sack him at the end of the season to wait and see the results at the end of the season. I think if we can improve on consistency and results against teams at lower end of table, he should be given at least another year.

Gasolin

That's why everyone is beating City week in week out, correct? Cause everyone could have done this? 75% win rate against City in a season out of 4 games is pretty cool stuff in my mind.
What's really brilliant is that the players are behind the manager and are happy to win games.

M16Red

Yet again. Bias Poll.

2 for getting rid and 1 for keeping (even that one is not clear)

45% for out then.

Remainers are winning something... at last.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Needless reopening of the poll. It's clear as day that nothing is going to change till the end of the season. Targets would have been already given by the board after the mega spending spree and call will be taken after the season is over or finished for us. Whichever happens first. As a supporter I would be more worried about getting answers to questions like why does our world record signing defender look like a league two player in a big game.

AshRK

Yet again. Bias Poll.

2 for getting rid and 1 for keeping (even that one is not clear)

45% for out then.

Remainers are winning something... at last.
My vote was always wait till the end and replace him but if we reach Top 4 then I will keep him. I will probably prefer an option finish the season and reassess. Just because I have voted for the second option doesn't mean I want him gone.

Mainoldo

Im still convinced this guy is just a fluke. Sorry Inners. He’ll stay though because the board don’t have a clue about football.

Lj82

Well that factually isn't true, we played counter attacking football.

No team takes on City in a possession v possession set up, it'd be idiotic to attempt it.

We mix a style of high press with counter attacking football.

It's feckin hilarious to read sentiments like this in the last 24 hours, I mean...when LVG was here and we had 65-70% of the possession and done the square root of sweet fa with it folks said it was boring, pointless and we were going back to the dark ages.

City do it yesterday and we were supposedly played off the park, we've no identity blah blah blah...

The negativity and finding reason to piss, moan an bitch is beyond mind numbing boring.
Well said. I rather this version of Utd than Lvg's

wolvored

Couldn't agree more.

Who cares about 70% possession we had that with van gaal and it was like watching paint dry the most excruciating football I've ever seen at utd.

We thoroughly deserved to win yesterday.
Famous quote after we beat arsenal away. Interviewer: "Sir Alex Arsenal had a lot of possession 65%" Fergie: "Aye and we won 4-2"

Status
Not open for further replies.