Would you sell Rashford?

Lee565

No considering lingard will go, martial looks like he will be gone and both ronaldo and cavani are not doing us any favours being at the club

Superunknown

Let's imagine that next season we have no Ronaldo, no Cavani, and no Greenwood. We can't throw selling Rashford into the mix too, because that's simply too much work to do in one window. We would need four new attacking players...there's no way at all we would get that done. That's without looking at centre midfield or the full backs.

In any ordinary year where there was much less work to do, then I would look at moving him on if a good offer came in. Unfortunately, he's not offering enough. He also still hasn't nailed down his definitive position. I'm finding him too frustrating and I'm not convinced that he is going to be able to live up to expectations.

BorisManUtd

Not yet. We'll lose Cavani this summer, lost Greenwood, could lose Ronaldo as well, Martial may not be back. Rashford is poor atm but given that he's United product and we're about to lose many players in attacking positions we should keep him. Give him one last chance under new manager next season. If he plays the same as now, get rid. Perhaps he improves.

izec

Not a chance, he’s playing poorly, he’s not a poor player imo.
If you play poorly for years…

He has lost his love for the game, plus injuries. He should be in the best phase of his career currently, once he loses his pace and athelcism further, he will be next to useless.

-Supreme-

We need to bring in 4-5 players for the new head coach and to do this we have to evaluate what we have available that will generate the required funds.

Rashford has 2 years left on his contract, his value will depreciate from here and we either have to offer him a new improved terms on his 200-250k a week or he will likely folllow the likes of Lingard and Pogba route out of this club in 2024.

UnitedFire

Ronnie, Cavani, Greenwood all probably going. Add to this Rashford and we need full scale rebuild in that formation.

I'd think about it, if we had elite rivalry in the squad and we don't even got one vital striker.
It actually goes deeper than this.

We might have Grant, Henderson, Bailly, Jones, Mata, Pogba, Matic, DVB, Martial, Lingard, Ronaldo, Cavani and Greenwood to replace.

Replace in some cases, squad depth or promotion of youth in others.

So yes in reality we'll have to get by with Rashford as way too much work to do and the board are barely capable of 4 total deals across ins and outs in one summer.

UnitedFire

We need to bring in 4-5 players for the new head coach and to do this we have to evaluate what we have available that will generate the required funds.

Rashford has 2 years left on his contract, his value will depreciate from here and we either have to offer him a new improved terms on his 200-250k a week or he will likely folllow the likes of Lingard and Pogba route out of this club in 2024.
The contract issue is a big one. We don't want to be paying huge wages just for commercial value. Might genuinely need to sell.

Woodenlung

Says a lot about the toxicity of a fanbase when they want rid of someone going through a bad run of form. Despite that same player being one of our few shining lights in seasons past.

Trequarista10

If a big offer was made? Yeah.

Would I freeze him out, notify clubs we want to sell him, and accept a small offer? No.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Apart from being Academy product and English and probably sells alot of shirts, he's a liability on the field.

An off form striker is one thing, a striker who failed the basic and lost interest is another...the former can still contribute by doing the basic right and eventually things will pick up, but the latter.... sell.

Terrible attitude, I can forgive players having off season for whatever reason (personal, injury, romance, stupidity, etc) but not giving their all and at least run / press / tries on the pitch is a cardinal sin for me, let alone for a through and through academy product.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It actually goes deeper than this.

We might have Grant, Henderson, Bailly, Jones, Mata, Pogba, Matic, DVB, Martial, Lingard, Ronaldo, Cavani and Greenwood to replace.

Replace in some cases, squad depth or promotion of youth in others.

So yes in reality we'll have to get by with Rashford as way too much work to do and the board are barely capable of 4 total deals across ins and outs in one summer.
Some folks say it's a mentality thing and some it's an effect of injury which burried his physicality. As deep as it goes, so far it looks like no one in the club trying to fix him and the player himself just goes from a game to game like a ghost.

Tbh, I'm just tired of playing Sherlock Holmes to scientifically investigate what exactly is wrong with him... I'm actually fed up with this whole squad of players with their problems, doing everything just not to perform like every other high paid professional to beat mid table teams at least 1:0.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
To be honest he doesn’t really look like he even wants to be here anymore. Fresh start might be good for both parties. He’s a squad player now and a poor squad player. His next deal will be robbery for a squad player. I would consider selling him for 60/70 million yes. Imagine replacing Rashford and Ronadlo with Mbappe and Haaland. That’s the level we should be aspiring to if we want to get back to the top.

tjb

I would try him up top. Clearly he's not a winger and has kind of exposed why weren't great on the flanks even whilst he was on form. We should rotate him with another striker ( bought) and let him work from there. Clearly he doesn't have the agility, flair or change of pace to play on the flanks at the moment. However, it would be uncalled for to throw him away given the goalscoring ability he has regularly shown for us in the past.

Is he potentially a 20 goals a season striker, sure. However he's not a 30 goal a season striker, so needs an alternative who he is consistently competing with.

Canagel

Offer him to Leipzig for Nkunku. No club in this league will take him off us. The big clubs have no need for him and the small clubs will not pay his wages.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Says a lot about the toxicity of a fanbase when they want rid of someone going through a bad run of form. Despite that same player being one of our few shining lights in seasons past.
One decent run under a counter attacking ole side and several years of crap. Toxicity is having cult fans who support players over the team.

TheMitz

To be out of form for 2 seasons is a bit much.

jesperjaap

I would sell half of our players, not just rashford.
Yes, I get slaughtered often on here slating certain players. But honestly in forty years of supporting the club, I cant think of a side I have had such little belief in individually or as a team and there have been sides with far less talent than thsi one.

Forgetting the new signings there genuinely isnt a single outfield player that hasnt reasons to sell, the only one was Greenwood. Id sell including soem youngsters 14-21 of them if it was possible.

Being a media darling and a local product for the club alongside the liekly hood departures realyl could run into double figures this summer, see little chance Rashford leaves.

He does seem to be in high regard with some big foreign clubs and of course the likes of Newcastle here I would expect to be interested, flagship signing for them etc. Personally for £60m odd I would have sold him when he was playing well anyway as though he is talented and a good player, was never ever a player of that value just liek Maguire never was either....but judging on the last year or so Id sell him for a fair bit less, there are lots of young players around Europe would cost less and add more

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My peak Darren Bent comment from a few years ago isn't so funny anymore in the present.

RedDevilQuebecois

This is ridiculous to say when it has been 2 seasons now. At the end of the day, I would not be surprised one bit if he ends up the same way as Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley did as guys always lingering in the bottom half of Premier League. If Rashford showed the same kind of fight as Wayne Rooney did while surviving the hype of his own breakthrough, I don't think people would have any serious doubt about him at the moment.

Gawge

He probably isn't in the starting XI of a title-winning team, but also, he's way down the list of issues in terms of transfers.

Sancho, Rashford and Elanga are basically the only forwards who should be still be in the squad next season, that needs to be added to rather than further diminished.

finneh

Let's imagine that next season we have no Ronaldo, no Cavani, and no Greenwood. We can't throw selling Rashford into the mix too, because that's simply too much work to do in one window. We would need four new attacking players...there's no way at all we would get that done. That's without looking at centre midfield or the full backs.

In any ordinary year where there was much less work to do, then I would look at moving him on if a good offer came in. Unfortunately, he's not offering enough. He also still hasn't nailed down his definitive position. I'm finding him too frustrating and I'm not convinced that he is going to be able to live up to expectations.
I agree that it would be bold to let Rashford, Ronaldo, Martial, Lingard and Cavani leave in the Summer; especially with the Greenwood situation.

However I think we need to think about the situation carefully. His contract effectively runs out in 2.5 years which means a couple of things. Firstly if he isn't sold in the summer then he's entering the final year of his contract the following year, which would adversely affect his value. Secondly his next contract will likely be expected by him to be the biggest of his career.

We're in a very similar position with Rashford now compared with Pogba just before Covid. High earning, under-performing player coming up to the supposed peek of their career where they'll be expecting a 5-6 year contract worth somewhere in the region of £100m; but their performances are light years away from their salary. The same arguments were made for keeping Pogba then; and now we're in a position where we've lost out on at least £100m of transfer fees/wages due to a misguided belief that getting rid of him would have weakened us too much. I bet most people here looking back would have sold Pogba for £65m back in January 2020, saved £35m in wages since then and replaced him even if that lead to an element of short term pain.

Even if the aforementioned 5 players left are we really saying given what they're currently bringing to the party that we couldn't find a couple of attackers who would work harder and bring more to the table for the cost? Hell a lad promoted from the academy several months ago on a tenth of his salary has quickly taken his slot and shown him up.

Would going into the season with a new striker, a new winger and Sancho, Bruno, Elanga and maybe Amad be any worse than what we have now (especially if we get a top level holding midfielder as well)? It would certainly send a message that Man Utd doesn't tolerate lazy underperformers irrespective of their name/talent.

Last edited:

Luke1995

Can we get Martial back next season ? Or does Sevilla have the option to make it a permanent move.

Because Martial and Rashford are kind of similar players. Sell Rashford only if they can get a similar player in return.

Superunknown

I agree that it would be bold to let Rashford, Ronaldo, Martial, Lingard and Cavani leave in the Summer; especially with the Greenwood situation.

However I think we need to think about the situation carefully. His contract effectively runs out in 2.5 years which means a couple of things. Firstly if he isn't sold in the summer then he's entering the final year of his contract the following year, which would adversely affect his value. Secondly his next contract will likely be expected by him to be the biggest of his career.

We're in a very similar position with Rashford now compared with Pogba just before Covid. High earning, under-performing player coming up to the supposed peek of their career where they'll be expecting a 5-6 year contract worth somewhere in the region of £100m; but their performances are light years away from their salary. The same arguments were made for keeping Pogba then; and now we're in a position where we've lost out on at least £100m of transfer fees/wages due to a misguided belief that getting rid of him would have weakened us too much. I bet most people here looking back would have sold Pogba for £65m back in January 2020, saved £35m in wages since then and replaced him even if that lead to an element of short term pain.

Even if the aforementioned 5 players left are we really saying given what they're currently bringing to the party that we couldn't find a couple of attackers who would work harder and bring more to the table for the cost? Hell a lad promoted from the academy several months ago on a tenth of his salary has quickly taken his slot and shown him up.

Would going into the season with a new striker, a new winger and Sancho, Bruno, Elanga and maybe Amad be any worse than what we have now (especially if we get a top level holding midfielder as well)? It would certainly send a message that Man Utd doesn't tolerate lazy underperformers irrespective of their name/talent.
It's a tricky situation due to the contract issue that you mention. That's a whole other issue within this situation that will need to be resolved. It's also a long-running problem that the club has with giving out huge contracts to players, or letting things run, which we could argue about in its own separate thread, too. However, I don't think just getting one striker and one new winger would be anywhere near enough. We would seriously need to be looking at least 3 new recruits, probably four actually in that attacking department. Considering that our recruitment has been very hit and miss over this last decade, we're asking for an awful lot to be done in one window. I'm not confident at all...

Elanga has shown great promise this season and Sancho has been putting in the performances lately. But, over the course of a season, you are going to pick up injuries, playing are going to be fatigued, and there will no doubt be dips in form. When you start throwing those things into the mix, that's when your squad depth gets truly tested. We really can't be going into the next season short of people, if we can help it. Let's not forget that this United team was tipped at the start of the season to be making some sort of title challenge, or at the very least cementing that top four position. Considering all of that, we have really fallen well short of expectations. What we don't need to do is further weaken the squad going into next season. (although, saying all this, Rashford is really taking up a squad position at the moment with his lack of contribution, so there is that)

For that reason alone, I can't see Rashford leaving. If he does go, the club has to be absolutely sure that they've got the replacements lined up, either through a transfer or through promotion of the academy. To be completely truthful, Rashford's performances this season have put off a lot of his fans, so I'm not firmly in the 'we must keep Rashford at all costs' camp at all. I'm more in the 'just make sure we've got a decent squad' area.

As you can see, I'm torn on the issue. The easiest thing for everyone is for Rashford to find the form needed and to put the performances in + start scoring. If this happens, then suddenly we haven't got a problem. But, it just isn't happening.

matt23

Won't get anything for him.

Free transfer to the Champinship.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If Newcastle offer silly money for him - then yes.

In general (as in, he needs to be sold no matter what) - then no.

But I certainly wouldn't offer him a new contract either.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
we've already lost Greenwood. Cavani, Martial and Lingard are going. Pogba is almost certainly off, Ronaldo is 37 and playing like he's 58.

Who are people proposing we play or sign for next season if we get rid of Rashford on top of that?

We already need basically a whole new midfield as it is