Would you sell Rashford?

finneh

It's a tricky situation due to the contract issue that you mention. That's a whole other issue within this situation that will need to be resolved. It's also a long-running problem that the club has with giving out huge contracts to players, or letting things run, which we could argue about in its own separate thread, too. However, I don't think just getting one striker and one new winger would be anywhere near enough. We would seriously need to be looking at least 3 new recruits, probably four actually in that attacking department. Considering that our recruitment has been very hit and miss over this last decade, we're asking for an awful lot to be done in one window. I'm not confident at all...
I think it depends on our expectations. Are we expecting a new manager to come in and challenge on 3 fronts, or are we expecting them to come in and steadily improve us for 3 years which will culminate in challenging on three fronts? My view is the latter and I genuinely don't see a lot of the players we have being part of any title winning squad. My view is getting rid of the overpaid and lazy core (Pogba, Martial, Rashford, arguably Ronaldo and Greenwood) is better done sooner rather than later.

Elanga has shown great promise this season and Sancho has been putting in the performances lately. But, over the course of a season, you are going to pick up injuries, playing are going to be fatigued, and there will no doubt be dips in form. When you start throwing those things into the mix, that's when your squad depth gets truly tested. We really can't be going into the next season short of people, if we can help it. Let's not forget that this United team was tipped at the start of the season to be making some sort of title challenge, or at the very least cementing that top four position. Considering all of that, we have really fallen well short of expectations. What we don't need to do is further weaken the squad going into next season. (although, saying all this, Rashford is really taking up a squad position at the moment with his lack of contribution, so there is that)
In my view the reason we aren't challenging is because we've spent too much time pandering. Martial has had maybe two good seasons in six. Pogba has maybe 5-6 proper games a season. Rashford has had maybe eight great games in 2.5 years. Phil Jones and Bailly are still on the roster. Luke Shaw has relentless fitness/commitment issues that simply shouldn't happen with a six figure salaried weekly professional.

There's a solid argument that not only is the lack of commitment shown by these players affecting there own results/performances; but it's affecting others' as well. A key part of Rashford's progression with United from 18-22 was his effort/energy; did that disappear because he was given £250k a week or was it because top earners like Martial/Pogba/Lukaku strolled around the pitch like we were 15 points clear with 3 games to play? Maybe a combination of both, but how long before Rashford doing the exact same thing poisons Elanga?

For that reason alone, I can't see Rashford leaving. If he does go, the club has to be absolutely sure that they've got the replacements lined up, either through a transfer or through promotion of the academy. To be completely truthful, Rashford's performances this season have put off a lot of his fans, so I'm not firmly in the 'we must keep Rashford at all costs' camp at all. I'm more in the 'just make sure we've got a decent squad' area.

As you can see, I'm torn on the issue. The easiest thing for everyone is for Rashford to find the form needed and to put the performances in + start scoring. If this happens, then suddenly we haven't got a problem. But, it just isn't happening.
Absolutely agree with the bolded, but again I believe putting in the effort required is the first hurdle. He'll never find his form, or consistently put performances in until he works a hell of a lot harder.

In the mean time the likes of Elanga and others like him that haven't yet broken through are seeing him (alongside Pogba/Martial/Shaw) as our highest earners swanning around like superstars whilst performing poorly. Add in Greenwood acting like he has and I think the culture is clearly endemic.

When Fergie arrived he had to stamp out the drinking culture that was harming our prospects. I think we now need to stamp out the overpaid, underperforming, lazy culture that's festered over the last several years.

The question then is can it be stamped out whilst retaining Rashford. I'd hope the answer is yes but with his contract situation and his salary then he needs to prove that damn quickly... As in before the new manager arrives.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I would give him next season under new manager. If he fails again, then it is time to sell. Talent is there but attitude is not.

Walters_19_MuFc

No. If he's playing like he is this time next season, then the club will need to make a decision. However, if he goes back to the Rashford a couple seasons back, then we'd be all kicking ourselves if he was to find his form.

I just think he needs to stop being something he's not. Simplify his game and he'll really benefit.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
He's just massively out of form. He's home grown so I'd give him more time.

It's an easy criticism but I do think his off field activities have derailed him a bit. He just needs to focus on his football.

Clichés are often correct.

Mainoldo

His popularity is still high. If we had anything about us we would sell him to PSG and get his agent to promote him as the Mbappe replacement. Win win.

UncleBob

No. If he's playing like he is this time next season, then the club will need to make a decision. However, if he goes back to the Rashford a couple seasons back, then we'd be all kicking ourselves if he was to find his form.

I just think he needs to stop being something he's not. Simplify his game and he'll really benefit.
His game seems simple enough as it is.

van Nistelrooy

In a heartbeat
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Pundits talk as if Rashford is on a bad run and will be back to his 'best' soon. This form has been going on for at least 3 seasons now. Yes, he may have hit 20+ goals in recent seasons, but this really masks his performances which are more often than not, abysmal.

It was the injury last season which was to blame. He can't hide behind that anymore.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He has to stay by default really.

Selling him on top of Ronaldo and Cavani probably leaving and Greenwood disposed gives very few options for final third. Obviously can sign 3-4 but will they all hit the ground running or take six months to get going as Sancho has done?

SparkedIntoLife

Something’s up with him, probably mental. This is maybe where Sascha Lense can earn his money.

It’s not usually a good idea to sell low unless we think he’s essentially ‘done’ and going to get worse. Ordinarily I’d say to loan him out to regain form/value but, due to the Greenwood situation and Cavani and even possibly Ronaldo leaving, we’re too light in the attacking positions. Plus he’s a proper good lad, local and we need some stability in attack.

Hopefully we’ll see him back to form soon. I don’t think he’ll ever be the player we maybe dreamed of, even as recent as last season. I see him long term as a squad player - Sancho’s backup on the left.

Shark

@NotShark
He's just massively out of form. He's home grown so I'd give him more time.

It's an easy criticism but I do think his off field activities have derailed him a bit. He just needs to focus on his football.

Clichés are often correct.
Except this cliche has been used for three years now.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Barca cant afford him, Madrid buy better players. It has to be PSG.
Barcelona also buy better players and would have money to sign him.
Rashford is like Pogba, the clubs will only sign him if he is free and does not ask for a very high salary.
I mean top clubs, others of lower rank if they could pay a transfer but I don't think the player wanted to go.

Swiss_Red89

No. definitely not after this season. He deserves to be given a chance to turn it around next season. If he still performs like this....yes

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Depends what's wrong with him really. If he's carrying an injury or going through a tough time and we can help him through whatever it is then I'd never sell him as I think he's one of our most important players. If this slump is a symptom of lack of commitment/effort or some sort of permanent injury then I'd absolutely get rid.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Barcelona also buy better players and would have money to sign him.
Rashford is like Pogba, the clubs will only sign him if he is free and does not ask for a very high salary.
I mean top clubs, others of lower rank if they could pay a transfer but I don't think the player wanted to go.
Mate, you've just signed a bench player from Wolves that puts up 1 goal and 2 assists per season on loan with buy option because you literally could not afford him.

CM

It would be difficult to say no if a decent offer came in for him.

It's not even just about the performances either. The amount of excuses put out by Rashford's team in the last couple of years and the subsequent lack of interest shown by him this season make me feel he hasn't got the right mentality. He needs to buck his ideas up soon or he'll find himself in a similar situation to his mate Lingard very quickly.

Tap

Not now as Cavani, Greenwood and Ronaldo’s futures are not clear. But his role now should be that of a squad player rather than a regular starter.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No, he's worth more than Mbappe and I wouldn't want PSG to embarrass us. No way.

I'd bite their hand off for 70m but take 50m.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No, he deserves another season and I think we could still keep him next season as backup striker. Imagine losing Greenwood, Ronaldo, Cavani, and Rashford. It's too much.

Eli Zee

For the right price, I'd sell anyone. He's not good enough to be irreplaceable, so yes. For the right price and with a replacement lined up - absolutely.

allen7

Yes and we should promote an youngster for his place. He looks disinterested and lost love with the sport.

Bondi77

If we were going to sell players when they have a drop in form then there is going to be a flood of threads as stupid as this one!
Don’t watch real football just play FPL and you can do as many transfers as you want.

Rightnr

If we were going to sell players when they have a drop in form then there is going to be a flood of threads as stupid as this one!
Don’t watch real football just play FPL and you can do as many transfers as you want.
It's not a drop in form, it's been two years.

It's not like he's been consistently world class for 5 years either, he's all image and stats.

Bondi77

It's not a drop in form, it's been two years.

It's not like he's been consistently world class for 5 years either, he's all image and stats.
Same was said about Big Dave last season and how is he doing??
Same shit was said about Luke two years ago and he rebounded with form good enough to win his England spot back.
It is a pointless thread.

Rightnr

Same was said about Big Dave last season and how is he doing??
Same shit was said about Luke two years ago and he rebounded with form good enough to win his England spot back.
It is a pointless thread.
It is not the same for 'Luke' and Rashford. They've been 'good' for a limited time (especially Shaw) in a period where we've won nothing.

De Gea was good for years i.e 5 years or more, as I've referred in my post. This is some serious false equivalence you're using.

Bondi77

It is not the same for 'Luke' and Rashford. They've been 'good' for a limited time (especially Shaw) in a period where we've won nothing.

De Gea was good for years i.e 5 years or more, as I've referred in my post. This is some serious false equivalence you're using.
Well which player has been good for a lengthy period of time in the current squad because in my opinion it is only Bruno and Big Dave so if we are going to sell Rashford then the rest should go on the market!
See........a pointless thread.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It depends how much for... 100million, yes.

anything under 70million, nope.
Asking for 70 million for a player whose putting out gutter level performances:lol:

Rashford has played well for us over the years but given he's been shit for a long time, that's an absurd valuation

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Mate, you've just signed a bench player from Wolves that puts up 1 goal and 2 assists per season on loan with buy option because you literally could not afford him.
F. Torres it cost €55M and the money available will be to try to sign Haaland who is much more expensive than Rashford.