Would you swap Martial for Messi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverman

No. Martial has great potential and has already shown what he can do. Messi on the other hand, is getting old now and would struggle in the Premier League IMO.

Prodigal7

Definitely. Messi is the greatest player ever.
Agreed. I can't believe anyone would turn down any opportunity to have the worlds greatest ever player playing for us. Maybe Martial will develop into one of if not the best player in the world and I do like the guy himself but as someone that also goes to OT for matches I would give anything to see the best ever player playing for United at OT.

Deleted member 101472

Anyone here swap a 500sq foot apartment for 10 years in place of a mansion In the Maldives for 3/4 years ?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Would I swap Martial (who is not even the best player in the EPL), with the best player of all time?
Hmmm....let me think. :lol:

And as for people who think Martial is (potentially) better. :houllier:

Fortis Mente

I think Messi will still be an exceptional player even when he's 35, so I would swap, but I would be very unhappy with letting Martial go, as I think he will be one of the best players in the world in the future. Both of them playing together would be truly fantastic to watch.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I would accept the deal in a heartbeat. We can always swap them back later.

Prodigal7

I am cos he would get kicked left right and centre. I don't mean he would score no goals but he wouldn't do as well as he does in La liga.
Like the way small skilful players such as Silva, Aguero, Mahrez etc struggle? Messi gets kicked left right and centre everywhere he goes. He would probably be even better in the PL as the game is more open and he'd have more space. With the right people around these players you could easily say that they are better in the PL than they would be in La Liga etc.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Nothing embarrassing about this thread or replies. Nothing RAWK esque at all. I don't think anyone has said Martial is as good or will become as good as Messi.

Some just see Messi as a Barca legend. If he was 22 and thus would still have time to become a United legend then this question probably wouldn't arise.

It's amusing how some are responding like it's straight forward.
There are still fans around who identify with their team by more than just winning. That doesn't mean that they settle for mediocrity, not at all.

But when we had success the last few times it wasn't by buying the best player in the world. It was by developing young talented players such as Martial, watching them grow, mix them with a few experienced players and reach not only the top in England but also in Europe. That's us between 1996 and 2001 or between 2006 and 2009.

Martial is one of the few young and talented players we currently have who could go on to be part of another such great United team and yes then some fans will be happier to see us successful with him rather than with another team 's legend and a player another team developed completely.

Yes there's no guarantee Martial will be here until we have reached the top again. But then there's also no guarantee that Messi at United will be as successful as at Barca or that he will not realize soon United is not Barca and Manchester is not Barcelona and thus never be happy.

But that's a good thing about football that there is no guarantee, but hope is always there.

I have no problem if some couldn't care less about things like that , but calling those who prefer young players develop and go on to reach the top at United to buying a world eleven every few years embarrassing is so wrong at so many levels as far as I am concerned.

Deleted member 101472

Nothing embarrassing about this thread or replies. Nothing RAWK esque at all. I don't think anyone has said Martial is as good or will become as good as Messi.

Some just see Messi as a Barca legend. If he was 22 and thus would still have time to become a United legend then this question probably wouldn't arise.

There are still fans around who identify with their team by more than just winning. That doesn't mean that they settle for mediocrity, not at all.

But when we had success the last few times it wasn't by buying the best player in the world. It was by developing young talented players such as Martial, watching them grow, mix them with a few experienced players and reach not only the top in England but also in Europe. That's us between 1996 and 2001 or between 2006 and 2009.

Martial is one of the few young and talented players we currently have who could go on to be part of another such great United team and yes then some fans will be happier to see us successful with him rather than with another team 's legend and a player another team developed completely.

Yes there's no guarantee Martial will be here until we have reached the top again. But then there's also no guarantee that Messi at United will be as successful as at Barca or that he will not realize soon United is not Barca and Manchester is not Barcelona and thus never be happy.

But that's a good thing about football that there is no guarantee, but hope is always there.

I have no problem if some couldn't care less about things like that , but calling those who prefer young players develop and go on to reach the top at United to buying a world eleven every few years embarrassing is so wrong at so many levels as far as I am concerned.
It's not about assembling a world 11. It's about swapping a rare, raw and unproven as of yet talent for the current best player in the world and probably best player of all time who is still only 28.

I promise you that if this were actually a reality and not hypothetical , the amount of people saying they would keep martial would slowly dwindle.

It's fecking Messi. In a squad where we have ample amount of youngsters to develop as it is, some who could arguably become better than martial

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is the sort of comparison thread that we'll get laughed at for.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is the sort of comparison thread that we'll get laughed at for.
It's not a comparison thread. If people took a moment to think about it they'd realise this.

Deleted member 101472

@Pexbo to anyone just passing by , it's a comparison thread . The title makes it seem that way , and you could forgive rival fans for looking at that , not bothering to read the thread, and coming to the conclusion that we've gone nuts

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It's a United forum and a thread involving a United player. There are no personal attacks or inappropriate stuff. And ppl including rival fans are free and able to read more than just the title.

So I couldn't care less what rival fans are thinking about this thread.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
@Pexbo to anyone just passing by , it's a comparison thread . The title makes it seem that way , and you could forgive rival fans for looking at that , not bothering to read the thread, and coming to the conclusion that we've gone nuts
I couldn't give a shit what rival fans think to be honest.

I made clear in the opening post the regard I hold Messi in and that I don't expect Martial to reach his heights. I also said that I expect him to evolve into a world class player of a different type as he ages.

I made clear the reason that I chose Martial - because I value the experience of watching a great young player's journey at my club.

If people can't be arsed to read the thread, it's themselves that look like fools when they ridicule it without even bothering to understand what it is about.

Larseno

I would take Messi. Ok, Martial is a really good player and has lots of potential. But I doubt he will ever be better then Messi and Ronaldo. Messi is also far more than just a goalscorer. He is a genius in almost every aspect of the attacking game. I would rather take a finished world class product then a unfinished MAYBE world class in a few years. I define World Class in this case as the top 5 or 10 in the world.

Needham

I'd swap Martial for Ibrahimavich because I like the controversy of saying it.

Seveneric

Stupid thread, but I'm not surprised.

Messi of course. You could say "well there's no guarantee he'd succeed at United", but there's no guarantee Martial will become anything more than Welbeck either. But at least Messi has years of showing he's an amazing player behind him, meanwhile Martial has like half a season, which is apparently enough to make people bonkers.

Deleted member 101472

I couldn't give a shit what rival fans think to be honest.

I made clear in the opening post the regard I hold Messi in and that I don't expect Martial to reach his heights. I also said that I expect him to evolve into a world class player of a different type as he ages.

I made clear the reason that I chose Martial - because I value the experience of watching a great young player's journey at my club.

If people can't be arsed to read the thread, it's themselves that look like fools when they ridicule it without even bothering to understand what it is about.
It's not like the club isn't dveloping other young talents though. Rashford, Shaw, Fosu-Mensah, Bo Jackson.... You'd get to continue watching their development and have Messi on your team in this hypothetical land.

Deleted member 101472

If we could get a poll that would be great @Damien @Raoul
For the love of god please dont make one, could push Pexbo over the edge here. I really do get where youre coming from, I just think its stupid. There are so many similies to compare the situation its unreal.

mancan92

Haha what is this? Of course you'd take messi. I love martial my favourite player. But to have messi in the team at any point means automatic success.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
For the love of god please dont make one, could push Pexbo over the edge here. I really do get where youre coming from, I just think its stupid. There are so many similies to compare the situation its unreal.
I have absolutely no issue with the majority of people choosing Messi. I alluded to the fact that I expect most people to have that opinion in the OP. The only thing I take issue with is the people who dismiss this as a ridiculous discussion when there is easily 15-20 people in this thread that share the same opinion as me.

It was never a question of "who is better" or "who would you prefer in your team?", that's a ludicrous question. The question is "Would you rather United took the gamble of developing one of the best young players in the world or simply swap him for the best?".

RetroStu

This is the kind of thread we take the piss out of Rawk for with their 'Allen vs Xavi' style threads.
Ridiculous.

Deleted member 101472

I have absolutely no issue with the majority of people choosing Messi. I alluded to the fact that I expect most people to have that opinion in the OP. The only thing I take issue with is the people who dismiss this as a ridiculous discussion when there is easily 15-20 people in this thread that share the same opinion as me.

It was never a question of "who is better" or "who would you prefer in your team?", that's a ludicrous question. The question is "Would you rather United took the gamble of developing one of the best young players in the world or simply swap him for the best?".
Swap him for the best and develop the other young players we have. Domino effect= we probably pick up one or two future greats because we have Messi on the team and we develop those aswell.

The chance to see the greatest player in history playing for your club, whilst hes still in his prime, should superced any other scenario IMO, be that developing players or buying 10 other world class players

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Swap him for the best and develop the other young players we have. Domino effect= we probably pick up one or two future greats because we have Messi on the team and we develop those aswell.

The chance to see the greatest player in history playing for your club, whilst hes still in his prime, should superced any other scenario IMO, be that developing players or buying 10 other world class players
A perfectly reasonable opinion. Thanks for replying sensibly in a ridiculous thread.

Smores

:lol: the fallout of this thread.

As much as I love us developing players I would in a heartbeat because quite frankly Martial could still turn out to be a flash in the pan. People will I'm sure insist his talent is obvious and guaranteed but I've heard all that before with some of our own talents and other clubs players.

It's never worth turning down a sure thing in football.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This is the kind of thread we take the piss out of Rawk for with their 'Allen vs Xavi' style threads.
Except it's not a Xavi vs Allen comparison thread - he even said it in the OP. It's a - do we give a chance to one of the most promising talents in world football right now and watch him grow as a United player, or do we go for the finished article who's intimately involved with Barcelona, and will always be a Barcelona player, first and foremost. With the latter, you know you're getting an all-time great, a truly special player - but you're going to miss out on his journey as a developing player (which Barcelona fans got to witness, and remember now with great fondness).

Some don't believe in that romantic guff, but others do - and it's their prerogative. If Pexbo made a similar thread proposing a De Gea - Buffon exchange in 2011, the reactions would've been similar. A keeper who made a few howlers in his first season, vs arguably the greatest of all time who had already done the growing up stuff at Parma and Juventus. And in hindsight, De Gea has proven to be a really good option, and it's been a pleasure to watch him go from strength to strength.

mancan92

Come on mate. This is as RAWKish as it gets. In fact the scousers were saying this about Sterling. Now look.

This is the kind of thread we'd be dying of laughter in the RAWK in Meltdown thread.

Glanville95

Would I swap a player who can still be relatively seen as a prospect with the worlds greatest player in the modern era and arguably ever? As much as I love Martial, it's an easy decision. Messi probably has at least another five or six years left at an extremely high level.

gza the genius

It goes against all logic obviously but I'd rather keep Martial. If Messi were younger I'd obviously swap them but I'd rather the chance of Martial here for 10-12 years or so than have a declining Messi here for 4-5 years.

Spock

Sorry, but this really is a straightforward question. Messi is undeniably the greatest footballer in the world right now -- not 5 years from now, right now.

You never know what could happen tomorrow, but Messi looks nailed on to continue playing at an extremely high level for another 2-3 seasons.
Martial will never reach Messi's level. I have high expectations for the him but I wouldn't bet the farm that he'll ever reach even Henry's level.

Status
Not open for further replies.