Would you swap Martial for Messi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverman

Like the way small skilful players such as Silva, Aguero, Mahrez etc struggle? Messi gets kicked left right and centre everywhere he goes. He would probably be even better in the PL as the game is more open and he'd have more space. With the right people around these players you could easily say that they are better in the PL than they would be in La Liga etc.
The premier league is more physical, that is a fact which so many experts have said. Im sure half those players you mentioned would score goals for fun for Barcelona as well. Messi would still score goals but not as many as La Liga. He's nearly 30 as well. Id still keep Martial.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Ronaldo was inconsistent as hell for us at Martials age. All flash and occasional brilliance, but infuriatingly inconsistent. Martial's decision making, finishing and end product are light years ahead of a 20 y/o Ron. The stats provide evidence of that.
With all those things considered, then I expect Martial to become one of the world best player in a couple of years unless he stops developing.

As inconsistent as Ronaldo was at 20, you could tell he was a special player that was destined for great thing. Martial finishing, decision making and end product appear better than Ronaldo, but Martial was/is not a freakishly good athlete(e.g., he is limited in many areas of his game). Ronaldo ability to do almost everything at that age beyond his age group showcase to me how Martial was not a much better player. Martial was not a better dribbler, shooter, sprinter, header and set piece taker amongst other thing I might have forgotten. As such, Martial still has a way to go to match Ronaldo potential.

Perhaps next season his game could develop more under Mourinho and I will see a player who will become one of the two top player in the world. However, at the moment it is difficult to say whether he is even better than Coman of Bayern at the moment.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sorry, but this really is a straightforward question. Messi is undeniably the greatest footballer in the world right now -- not 5 years from now, right now.

You never know what could happen tomorrow, but Messi looks nailed on to continue playing at an extremely high level for another 2-3 seasons.
Martial will never reach Messi's level. I have high expectations for the him but I wouldn't bet the farm that he'll ever reach even Henry's level.
At the same age, after 3 seasons in that Barcelona side he scored 19 goals and assisted 3 in 40 games.
In 49 games this season, in a new league, in a new country in a new team with little creativity Martial scored 17 and assisted 11.

The odds on him becoming 80% of the player Messi is/was are very slim but let's not dismiss him as any old talent. He's a special young player with a lot of potential.

Deleted member 101472

Except it's not a Xavi vs Allen comparison thread - he even said it in the OP. It's a - do we give a chance to one of the most promising talents in world football right now and watch him grow as a United player, or do we go for the finished article who's intimately involved with Barcelona, and will always be a Barcelona player, first and foremost. With the latter, you know you're getting an all-time great, a truly special player - but you're going to miss out on his journey as a developing player (which Barcelona fans got to witness, and remember now with great fondness).

Some don't believe in that romantic guff, but others do - and it's their prerogative. If Pexbo made a similar thread proposing a De Gea - Buffon exchange in 2011, the reactions would've been similar. A keeper who made a few howlers in his first season, vs arguably the greatest of all time who had already done the growing up stuff at Parma and Juventus. And in hindsight, De Gea has proven to be a really good option, and it's been a pleasure to watch him go from strength to strength.
good comparison and points but nowhere near in terms of Martial Messi

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
good comparison and points but nowhere near in terms of Martial Messi
That's perfect then. It's wasn't meant to be an exact comparison, more of a general attempt to replicate career progressions. I'd imagine folk would have hypothetically swapped Ronaldo for Zidane in 2004, or 20 year old Sir Bobby for Di Stéfano (arguably the greatest footballer in football history till that point) in 1958 too. And you can't fault them for being rational, and taking the sure thing in the form of a proven all-time great. But I'd rather take a chance on a visibly talented young aspirant, and watch their story unfold - because that's special and more intimate, even if Martial ends up being a fraction of the player Messi is.

Prodigal7

The premier league is more physical, that is a fact which so many experts have said. Im sure half those players you mentioned would score goals for fun for Barcelona as well. Messi would still score goals but not as many as La Liga. He's nearly 30 as well. Id still keep Martial.
So what it's more physical? That's irrelevant. These small and skilful players don't try to compete physically because that's not their game and if their teammates try to lump speculative crosses into them then obviously they are going to fail because that's not their game. It doesn't matter where you are in the world the rules of football are always the same. small and technical non English teams seem to do pretty well against the so called physical English teams whenever they play them in the CL, in fact they almost always beat them with quality rather than physicality. The question would be do Messi's teammates have the quality and ability to pass/move and create chances rather than lump it to a big man, which clearly wouldn't suit him.

evil_geko

This is not a comparison thread! Are people that thick or just refuse to read more than 5 words?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Come on mate. This is as RAWKish as it gets. In fact the scousers were saying this about Sterling. Now look.

This is the kind of thread we'd be dying of laughter in the RAWK in Meltdown thread.
Speak for yourself.
The only thing I am laughing at is posters who reply without reading the thread properly.

ash_86

Watching Messi in prime would be pure fun none the less, but watching a superb young player grow and realize his potential is something out of this world. You pour your heart and soul watching him, scream at the TV when he makes mistakes and hope he has learnt his lesson for the future. People who play FM would realize how beautiful it is to scout and bring young lads with great potential and turn them world class. For United it's Cristiano all over again and i would not do the swap.

Reactions: Invictus

Enigma_87

You know who
Not sure if the thread is serious one, but it's a non brainer. Messi has some good years left in the tank at top level. Martial is up and coming talent at this point.

Messi of course.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I am cos he would get kicked left right and centre. I don't mean he would score no goals but he wouldn't do as well as he does in La liga.
He gets kicked about in La Liga by basically every team.

Spock

At the same age, after 3 seasons in that Barcelona side he scored 19 goals and assisted 3 in 40 games.
In 49 games this season, in a new league, in a new country in a new team with little creativity Martial scored 17 and assisted 11.

The odds on him becoming 80% of the player Messi is/was are very slim but let's not dismiss him as any old talent. He's a special young player with a lot of potential.
Martial is absolutely a special talent and I have no intention of dismissing him. But any comparison between Martial and Messi is insane. Where is this even coming from...is there a rumor out there that a deal with Barcelona is in the works?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
@Pexbo to anyone just passing by , it's a comparison thread . The title makes it seem that way , and you could forgive rival fans for looking at that , not bothering to read the thread, and coming to the conclusion that we've gone nuts
It's only a comparison thread if your attention span is too short to read more than the title.

Something which sadly seems to apply to 90% of the people responding to it.

Deleted member 101472

why not change the thread title to " would you swap having a fully developed martial for 15 years with having messi for 3 years" or something along those lines.

gingerless

How is this even a discussion no matter what circumstance under the sun you put on it?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
why not change the thread title to " would you swap having a fully developed martial for 15 years with having messi for 3 years" or something along those lines.
That's hardly fair though, Messi can continue playing at the highest level until his mid to late 30's. Not as the player he is now obviously as Pexbo says in the OP.

Messi can perform at the top level for another 6 or 7 years at least.

Born2Lose

Wouldn't swap Martial for anyone, my support of the club came about watching players like Ryan Giggs and Lee Sharpe. Watching young, exciting players develop over the years has been more important to me than trophies. If football was just about logic for me I'd have given up watching it years ago.

That people find such a view "weird" or "embarrassing" is fine by me, it's basically how I feel about grown men arguing about who is the "GOAT" as if it's ever a question that will be truly answered, or that actually matters.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Because we're not in the habit of pandering to idiots too lazy to read the OP?

VanCurny20

4-5 years is guaranteed years of success with a chance to build a team successful team to carry on past that. Not to mention, when you play with superstars like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane etc...they are also elevating the play of everyone else around them. Can you say the same about Martial? No.

I think Martial can develop into a fantastic player for us is it guaranteed though? Absolutely not, how many players like him either get injured, dip for no apparent reason, become to in love with the fame aspect of the game instead of putting in the work, or a manager destroys their potential? Plenty, is it likely? Not really, but we would be very lucky to get somebody anywhere near the caliber of Messi.
There's no Guarenteed success though is there.

Fortis Mente

Just imagine watching arguably the greatest ever player play for our club. To me it would be a much better feeling than watching Martial develop. Not swapping would be a very stupid decision in my opinion.

flappyjay

Martial all day and all week long. Martial will never be as great as Messi, that could be true but at some point they said CR7 would never be better than Figo. 2005 you would take Ronaldinho over CR7 because you thought Ronaldo would never reach the kind of levels he has reached. I wonder what kind of 1st season Martial would have had if he played in the same team Ronaldo played in as a 20 Year old. Would it be crazy to assume that Martial could have scored 25 goals in all competitions in an attacking team under Sir Alex as a 20 year, playing with world class players like RVN(who would have taken defenders attention from Martial) Scholes and Giggs. Its funny how everyone believes LVG stifled our attack but when it fits their agenda they forget about it

Deleted member 101472

I have tried to be pretty open to this discussion despite my firm belief that it's ridiculous. I understand Pexbo's point of view and that romantic element to it. It truly is so satisfying to develop a young player into a world beater, like we did with the class of 92.

When you put Messi into this discussion though, there is just no doubt in my mind that he supercedes everyone else and everything else. @Pexbo are you really trying to tell me that if your signature was the only one that was needed to swap Messi for Martial, and Jim White was waiting anxiously by his phone on deadline day, you wouldnt put pen to paper? If you genuinely wouldn't, then fair play to you and it's admirable to believe in development THAT much that you are willing to let the greatest player ever to play the game slip through the net in favour of someone who is, for all intents and purposes, unproven at a high level. More people need to realise that Martial being our best outfield player last season is akin to being employee of the month i.e. perfect example of being a winner and a loser at the same time.

I think if Martial has the season we all hope, this thread will get much more favourable discussion at the end of next season. But right now Messi is the best, and in many eyes the best there will ever be. Not taking him under any circumstances is footballing and business suicide.

King.of.Red

uh, this is difficult, both are amazing players.
watching Martial, especially when he run with the ball is very exciting and I love him, while Messi is super awesome player but I dont really like him (I'm CR7 fan :D ). Besides, I still doubt that Messi legs are strong enough to break EPL team defences every match, every week. so, to conclude, I will never ever swap Martial for Messi.

Artimities

You know... this is a tuff question. Do you build for the future or the present. With the current squad we have and what we will get... I say keep Martial. Messi is a game changer, but Martial has youth and a tremendous upside. Some would argue that Messi is at his peak. Still a great question.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Imagine we had the oppurtunity to swap Januzaj for Messi a couple years back and we didnt, as we wanted Januzaj to develop with us?

As much as I love Martial there is only one answer to this question in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.