• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyScout78

Mourinho on the best and peak knew what i want and buy to make a winning team.

Compare to Conte. Conte was really good as a player back in time. As a central midfield player. Captain and leader for Juventus.
And to be honest and didnt remember or recocnized Conte as a player. But when i did a researced of him. To find out more about his personalities, character, winning mentality and football skills and knowlegdes. I have watched a lot of football and do not rate Conte as a average football player.
Always full of guts, drive/energi and full determination as a player. And all give his best. Reasons why he was captained for Juventus. A true leader.
Conte wasnt a Paul Scholes or Luka Modric as central midifeld player, he was a box to box cm player. So compare to Mourinho. When Conte has play as top leve as a player. Your understand the passing, moving and connections on the pitch a lot more.

But about Mourinho wasnt a player. But Mourinho might was a good observer and learn from the best manager. To make his own way. For Mourinho is just went downhill after the case with the femal doctor. Looked like the luck ran out of him. Then United hired and appoint Mourinho at the wrong time and the history happened as it happen.

Mourinho and Conte are two of many ways to get to the top. Yeah Conte is good with the defensive too. But Conte know the build up attack too. Like buying Eriksen, Ashley Young and Hakimi to deliver top service to Lukaku on top. Like Haaland for Norway. Haaland need top service to scoring goals consistent and regular too.
Same with Ronaldo and Cavani. They need a Eriksen or really good creative nr.8 and teammates to scores consistent. And when Conte have won twice the league with Chelsea and Inter. I definitely believe he knows to create a strong and consistent attacking force too. 100 %

But like i have said earlier. United have many pontential goalscorer upfront. United just need a consistent top assist foot and playmaker from central midfield. It mean one of Fred and McTom has to be drop. To make room for a nr.8 cm player in the direction and mould or Bruno, Modric, Eriksen from central midfield area. That is the key and brain and mind of the team and attack. I think Conte will recognized this problem and solve it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

They're speaking to the author of the same Athletic piece I posted, though you need to be a patreon subscriber to hear.
Take it you’re fully aboard the Conte train?

Paxi

I wanted Enrique or Ten Hag but looks like neither of those will happen, so changing my vote to a yes. Will be nice actually winning games we're supposed to be winning and remembering what clean sheets are.
5 clean sheets in last 100 games apparently.

Edit: my bad. Seen it in an other thread and fell for it. Never mind.

LuckyScout78

Conte and Milan Skriniar

Zapata is one of the strongest CF in football world. A big powerful tank. But at 0.17 seconds Skriniar easily bully Zapata and outmuscle him.

United just need beast of CB. Bring toughness/braveness and fear factor to United defend and backline.

Skriniar in January or next summer would be good. You can compare Lindelof physical against Skriniar as RCB. Not a chance. Skriniar is bad ass my nature. He is nature character. Nothing you can train up too. Same as Varane or Maguire.

Skriniar - Varane - Maguire/Lindelof . Just move Maguire slow pace and acceleration out from the central and middle. To lesser dangerous space on the side. You need pace/acceleration, determination and aggresiveness as the middle CB.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Take it you’re fully aboard the Conte train?
I've definitely warmed to the idea quite a lot. Think I had unfairly thought of him as a Mourinho-type manager before now but I've read enough better informed people point out the differences between them at this point to think they're right.

I'd have question marks around how long he'd stay patient with our board and what formation he'd use with our current squad but beyond that I see a lot of upside with him.

Paxi

I've definitely warmed to the idea quite a lot. Think I had unfairly thought of him as a Mourinho-type manager before now but I've read enough better informed people point out the differences between them at this point to think they're right.

I'd have question marks around how long he'd stay patient with our board and what formation he'd use with our current squad but beyond that I see a lot of upside with him.
I’m exactly the same. After listening few bits about him I’ve came around to having him onboard. It would be a mistake to overlook him now as he would be the quickest to get us up to speed.

Abraxas

I've come around to it a bit. He's probably not going to be the man to stay here for a long period. He might upset people along the way and it might even end acrimoniously.

But in terms of getting some structure into this team he's probably the man. I don't think it matters whether it's a 3 at the back or not. I think he has his ideas and fundamentals that he'll drill, he commands instant respect, and I think that will carry us to greater respectability. I think he'd get this season back on track and instill some pride in the performance levels.

Then who knows beyond that, maybe with a few of his own signings and time to assess the squad we can compete next season. I don't think this one can be fully rescued against our competitors.

Long-term I still think Ten Hag or somebody like that is going to be a potential manager that can stay a while and continually build.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Conte and Milan Skriniar

Zapata is one of the strongest CF in football world. A big powerful tank. But at 0.17 seconds Skriniar easily bully Zapata and outmuscle him.

United just need beast of CB. Bring toughness/braveness and fear factor to United defend and backline.

Skriniar in January or next summer would be good. You can compare Lindelof physical against Skriniar as RCB. Not a chance. Skriniar is bad ass my nature. He is nature character. Nothing you can train up too. Same as Varane or Maguire.

Skriniar - Varane - Maguire/Lindelof . Just move Maguire slow pace and acceleration out from the central and middle. To lesser dangerous space on the side. You need pace/acceleration, determination and aggresiveness as the middle CB.
We aren't getting a CB anytime soon let alone a brilliant defender in January. A right wing back like Trippier, Celik, Lamptey, Livremento would be perfect.

Sviken

Imagine going for Mourinho when Conte is available.
Imagine going for Solskjaer when Conte is available.
Imagine going for Rodgers when Conte is available.

It is beyond stupid.
Tbh, Mourinho was a good manager until he imploded at Madrid. Chelsea was his last hurrah, but even with United we saw his last glimpses as a manager. I don't blame the club going for him. What I like about Conte is that he is prime Mourinho when it comes to man management , but also much more attacking and tactically astute. He is no Klopp or Guardiola when it comes to attacking, but he is easily as good as them when it comes to being a quality manager.

We aren't getting a CB anytime soon let alone a brilliant defender in January. A right wing back like Trippier, Celik, Lamptey, Livremento would be perfect.
Conte can organize our defence pretty well, even with a donkey like Maguire. He also has Varane. That'll be no problem for him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am little bemused how lots if fans are sceptical about Conte.
He is not attacking coach, ok, i get that. But:
1) He is a winner
2) He is tactician
3) He is proven
4) Good man management
5) Knows how to use the best of every player (doesn't need 11 world class players).

So, exactly what we need now. He will maybe stay 2,3 years? So what? That is how actually football works, you know? Managers come and go.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Why did he leave Juve?

poleglass red

I've come around to it a bit. He's probably not going to be the man to stay here for a long period. He might upset people along the way and it might even end acrimoniously.

But in terms of getting some structure into this team he's probably the man. I don't think it matters whether it's a 3 at the back or not. I think he has his ideas and fundamentals that he'll drill, he commands instant respect, and I think that will carry us to greater respectability. I think he'd get this season back on track and instill some pride in the performance levels.

Then who knows beyond that, maybe with a few of his own signings and time to assess the squad we can compete next season. I don't think this one can be fully rescued against our competitors.

Long-term I still think Ten Hag or somebody like that is going to be a potential manager that can stay a while and continually build.
I agree with your view, the only issue is, we know from his past that 2 seasons seems to be his max. How much control do you give him re selling and signings, bearing in mind, that if we went with say a Ten Hag afterwards, then it's a change in philosophy and most probably players again. Doesn't seem like Ole has much control over signings, Van De Beek being the obvious one. Would Conte be happy to work in an environment like that, would he not want control over that. I think if we were to change now, he'd be the most effective. No point bring in a possession based, high press manager, we simply don't have the players.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Rather we went fo ETH Enrique Rose or Mancini though I think the board want Poch, but if Conte took over I could see him winning something. We have the squad to be winning titles we just need a manager who can take them to those titles.

Reason he said no to Newcastle was he is waiting on the Man Utd job apparently.

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
I don't understand anyone who says Conte is Mourinho 2, especially given Conte is in his prime and when Mourinho came here he most certainly wasn't.

I think any United fan now would take the Mourinho who was at Chelsea, Inter Milan and went to Madrid. Which if you're stretching for a comparison with Conte and Mourinho this is much more accurate and you'd have to be mental to not want THAT manager.

Abraxas

I agree with your view, the only issue is, we know from his past that 2 seasons seems to be his max. How much control do you give him re selling and signings, bearing in mind, that if we went with say a Ten Hag afterwards, then it's a change in philosophy and most probably players again. Doesn't seem like Ole has much control over signings, Van De Beek being the obvious one. Would Conte be happy to work in an environment like that, would he not want control over that. I think if we were to change now, he'd be the most effective. No point bring in a possession based, high press manager, we simply don't have the players.
I think if you're buying into Conte then you probably also have to buy in to some of his requirements. It's probably why he's keen to meet and iron those things out in the hypothetical scenario that he was approached.

However, a couple of questions come to mind. Is he quite the demanding figure he's being characterised as? He may be more willing to work within the existing system than people think. I don't think it's necessarily black and white, he may be happy working within a structure, so long as he has ultimate veto. Which is largely how we seem to operate, I don't think we've gone full out with a director of football strategy yet.

If he does control signings then is it that terrible? I would argue no, as long as he gets them right. I think the following managers primarily want a set of players with the quality that he can work with. Of course it's good if they all gel perfectly for him but we are so far behind the curve that maybe we have to accept that we can't be too idealistic. If you look at our squad and play currently, there is nothing identifiable that any manager could get attached to - they're going to actually have to drill basics, that's how far off we are, nevermind how far we are from having an overarching philosophy.

Last edited:

Sviken

Why did he leave Juve?
Disagreements over transfers. Same reason why he left Inter. Conte is desperate for a CL win and he didn't think Juventus backed him enough at the transfer windows. He wouldn't have the problem with us giving how frivolously we spend our money.

the_cliff

I think if you're buying into Conte then you probably also have to buy in to some of his requirements. It's probably why he's keen to meet and iron those things out in the hypothetical scenario that he was approached.

However, a couple of questions come to mind. Is he quite the demanding figure he's being characterised at? He may be more willing to work within the existing system than people think. I don't think it's necessarily black and white, he may be happy working within a structure, so long as he has ultimate veto. Which is largely how we seem to operate, I don't think we've gone full out with a director of football strategy yet.

If he does control signings then is it that terrible? I would argue no, as long as he gets them right. I think the next manager primarily wants a set of players with the quality that he can work with. Of course it's good if they all gel perfectly for him but we are so far behind the curve that maybe we have to accept that we can't be too idealistic.
Well as mentioned earlier the reason he didn't get along with Abramovic was mainly due to the signings in the summer the season after winning the league. He wanted VVD or Koulibaly and Lukaku instead of Morata, I do think just like most successful managers he will kick up a fuss if he doesn't get what he wants and as long as our board allow him to sign his targets where possible it should be alright. Even a Klopp and Pep would not like their management signing the players for them, this was also one of the reasons that Zidane left Real Madrid.

Abraxas

Well as mentioned earlier the reason he didn't get along with Abramovic was mainly due to the signings in the summer the season after winning the league. He wanted VVD or Koulibaly and Lukaku instead of Morata, I do think just like most successful managers he will kick up a fuss if he doesn't get what he wants and as long as our board allow him to sign his targets where possible it should be alright. Even a Klopp and Pep would not like their management signing the players for them, this was also one of the reasons that Zidane left Real Madrid.
I think all the noises that come out of United suggest the manager is pretty fundamental within recruitment. He's got his own personal scout. I would hazard a guess he probably has a final say. To what extent he can be dictated to is unknown but the consensus seems to be that we are a far cry from teams like Chelsea that have a model. Which stands to reason given Fletcher and Murtough have only just come in and there's no indication of a sea change.

If you are a figure like Conte that in an ideal world would like to control every signing (if that is to be believed), you'd sooner that system than many within football that are aimed at providing continuity irrespective of the manager.

the_cliff

I think all the noises that come out of United suggest the manager is pretty fundamental within recruitment. He's got his own personal scout. I would hazard a guess he probably has a final say. To what extent he can be dictated to is unknown but the consensus seems to be that we are a far cry from teams like Chelsea that have a model. Which stands to reason given Fletcher and Murtough have only just come in and there's no indication of a sea change.

If you are a figure like Conte that in an ideal world would like to control every signing (if that is to be believed), you'd sooner that system than many within football that are aimed at providing continuity irrespective of the manager.
I think we're a mix between the two tbh, as proof we have signings like DVB, Fred and Ronaldo that were quite clearly not wanted by management but at the same you have players like Sancho and Maguire that were quite clearly manager influenced signings.

Abraxas

I think we're a mix between the two tbh, as proof we have signings like DVB, Fred and Ronaldo that were quite clearly not wanted by management but at the same you have players like Sancho and Maguire that were quite clearly manager influenced signings.
It's a lot of guesswork though, we don't really know the process. The evidence for VDB not being the manager's signing is he doesn't play him. But he'd also not play him if he was no way near the level he expected so that by itself isn't really fact, it's more of a possibility. The problem is a lot of the things people take as evidence correlate with a lot of explanations

Also, the manager has directly said he retains a final say. That's why I think it's probably a veto. I would imagine he's strongly nudged in particular directions but there's no reason to think what he's saying isn't accurate.

The question is, would that be a difficult regime for Conte? It shouldn't be. But whether the club want to go in a direction where they move away from this I don't know.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Him being there might indicate he's been offered the job but might only start during the next international break, so he's assessing the team.
Sorry but there's zero chance he's in the stands unless we sack Ole and announce him as manager.

Yakuza_devils

This is the man to get us challenging Pep and Klopp.
I don't think the board will appoint him. With that passion in him, he will not accept their incompetency. He will only demand for the best and will be seen as high risks of rocking the boat too much.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Disagreements over transfers. Same reason why he left Inter. Conte is desperate for a CL win and he didn't think Juventus backed him enough at the transfer windows. He wouldn't have the problem with us giving how frivolously we spend our money.
Especially because at Juve the most expensive player purchased for him was Kwadwo Asamoah at €18m

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
His obvious hatred for Mourinho is quite endearing.

Infra-red

Why did he leave Juve?
He had disagreements with the club over incoming transfers (he wanted Cuadrado from Fiorentina and got given 33yo Evra instead), he also wanted Vidal and Pogba tied down to long-term deals, but Juve had apparently indicated that they were entertaining offers for the pair and finally they also had a big falling out over the summer tour planning (or lack thereof) and its location.

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/revealed-why-antonio-conte-left-juventus-760815

Last edited:

JB7

Imagine going for Mourinho when Conte is available.
Imagine going for Solskjaer when Conte is available.
Imagine going for Rodgers when Conte is available.

It is beyond stupid.
He's a fecking nutjob who shouldn't be anywhere our club. So no, it's not stupid at all.

FatTails

Do you see Tuchel, Klopp or Pep fight publicly with the their respective board/owners about transfers? No.

I think this is a fair concern.
Tuchel fell out with his bosses everywhere he's been.

Pep is very demanding of his players and his bosses, he doesn't have to fall out publicly because his name has a lot of weight and he basically gets everything he wants.

Not sure about Klopp so your point might apply there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Do you see Tuchel, Klopp or Pep fight publicly with the their respective board/owners about transfers? No.

I think this is a fair concern.
Pep is with City so it doesn't apply. He left Barcelona in part due to their ownership being a mess. Bayern pretty much wanted to move on from him and operate under a different structure. Tuchel fell out hard with PSG. Klopp is an exception.

My point was that Conte being "too expensive" to hire when he is available right now is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.