• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja

Any chance he'd actually come in before end of the season? It has to be for next season right?

If this is the way we chose to go (have some reservations as I mentioned above), I hope we dial up VdS, Ten Hag and start talking to them now instead of waiting until the last moment.

Ten Hag isnt really much like Pep, Ajax' possession looks nothing like Barcelona's or City. Ten Hag is much more direct.
I have to watch one of the Ajax matches fully I think. Only watched bits and parts of today's game. All my opinions come from Tifo's description of his playstyle which made him seem like bit of a Guardiola protege (thanks to their days at Bayern) but with a little bit of his own twist. At any rate, emphasis on ball control, retention etc. (60%+ possession every game or something like that)

Do you think players like Rashford, Fred, AwB, McT can be successful with Ten Hag? Or put another way, can he take this United side and get results and not demand wholesale surgery again?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tbh any competent coach coming in would make VDB a competent option. Ole just doesn't know how to use his talents and defaults to his trusted McFred pivot.
Eh, not sure on that. Any coach is going to leave Van de Beek on the bench if they can pick from Bruno or Pogba as the most advanced mid. And Ajax didn't use Van de Beek as a deeper midfielder either (apart from earlier in his career).

Redfrog

Also, and this is a minor benefit, if Ten Hag did arrive then VDB would suddenly become a legit option in midfield rather than the non-entity he currently is. However good you do or don't think VDB is, he's a player who can play in our weakest position who would already know and be able to function in Ten Hag's set-up, which would immediately make him more useful than he currently is.
Really, I don’t care about individuals. My only concern is to see this team to play football. That’s a legit demand when you are considering the players available. How we play since the start of the season is criminal and a sackable offense.

Kaos

Eh, not sure on that. Any coach is going to leave Van de Beek on the bench if they can pick from Bruno or Pogba as the most advanced mid. And Ajax didn't use Van de Beek as a deeper midfielder either (apart from earlier in his career).
Depends on the formation they opt to use tbh. There's definitely space for Bruno/Fernandes + VDB in a midfield 3 assuming the coach has a well drilled system.

davidmichael

Sancho, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood would love him. Fred, AWB would probably be binned first day, de Gea potentially as well.
Most of our squad would love him as they wouldn’t be running around clueless to their specific tactics and hoping for a bit of individual brilliance to see us through, I’d imagine AWB would be kept as a squad player but Laird would most certainly be brought back.

Jimmah

Would he actually want to leave though? He's doing well at Ajax and on a good run in the champions league at the moment, there's no way he'd leave this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You sure? An Ajax fan suggested otherwise in the "VDB is not a central midfielder" thread:

In the season before United bought him, Ajax played like this:

Onana
Mazraoui/Dest Veltman Blind Tagliafico
VDB Martinez
Ziyech
Neres Tadic Promes

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sancho, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood would love him. Fred, AWB would probably be binned first day, de Gea potentially as well.
Tbf CM and RB are positions we'd be looking to strengthen anyway. We were been linked with Trippier during the summer for good reason.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Most of our squad would love him as they wouldn’t be running around clueless to their specific tactics and hoping for a bit of individual brilliance to see us through, I’d imagine AWB would be kept as a squad player but Laird would most certainly be brought back.
Hopefully the club is aware of his qualities.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You sure? An Ajax fan suggested otherwise in the "VDB is not a central midfielder" thread:
From what I remember he was used occasionally there but more often in front of a more defensive 2. Could be wrong though! I know he started off as a 6, then had a season as an 8, them 1 or 2 as a 10 mainly. He's capable of them all to different degrees, but besides it's a much different game playing CM in the Eredivisie than it is in the prem. For what it's worth, I think he's more capable of being an 8 than a 10 anyway... but I don't think he's shown much anywhere on the pitch yet. And IMO he wasn't some world class player in hiding at Ajax, like De Jong/De Ligt were or how Ziyech looked while he was there.

KeanoMagicHat

Ten Hag would make too much sense. A brilliant coach. But he’ll just end up at Bayern or Barca instead.

MichaelRed

Well, it was nice to watch a side play beautiful, brilliant football for an evening. Back to our regularly scheduled dogwater tomorrow though :(

Chairman Steve

This is starting to become the dream appointment that never comes isn’t it? The one that make too much sense never ends up happening.

Irrational.

Don't do this to yourselves. We are pathetic at recruitment. Gary Neville has more of a chance of being the. new United manager.

MichaelRed

We are just one midfielder away from playing like that
Then just one RB, then just one pressing striker, then just one out and out winger, then just one ball playing GK, then just one more pacey centre back, then the midfielder is too old so one more of those again. Ole's at the wheel.

FriedClams

If United come for Ten Hag he will swim across the channel. You vastly underestimate United's global appeal. Ajax are great, but they're completely dwarfed by United in terms of appeal. Or salary for that matter.
maybe I just hope that there’s still some people out there for whom money and stature isn’t everything. What’s more of achievement, what he’s done at Ajax (who knows, maybe go deep again this year) or winning a league with endless pockets and seemingly world class players everywhere?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I remember before Bayern signed Flick I thought he would be great for them, he's a fantastic manager and would be great at a cultured club like United.

No reason why we shouldn't be all over him.

OmarUnited4ever

I wonder how Rashford would do in the City side. His first touch and control when receiving the ball under pressure are pretty erratic. Sometimes he has Berbatov like control from long balls and sometimes he miscontrols a pass played to feet. His strengths are his pace and movement and we use that very well.
if Sterling can thrive under Pep, then Rashford would too, not saying Sterling is worse than Rashford, but both are "similar" type of players

izec

Don't do this to yourselves. We are pathetic at recruitment. Gary Neville has more of a chance of being the. new United manager.
you are probably right. We'll sack Ole in late 2022/2023 and will have only crap to choose from, then proceeding and hiring Gareth fecking Southgate after being shit in the WC 2022..

Monger

Ten Hag would make sense as tactics and preferred 4213 formation wouldn't mean a total rebuild of the squad but it would mean a better coached team and more possession based style.

I still think it wouldn't guarantee to fix some of our squad problems would VDB start, where does Pogba fit, is AWB good enough?

Reactions: Cheimoon

Teja

We aren't getting him. Even if he will decide to leave.
Only advantage is that the ones looking for new managers are in a worse situation that us :lol:

The only one that might swoop in are Barca.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Only advantage is that the ones looking for new managers are in a worse situation that us :lol:

The only one that might swoop in are Barca.
There's also Pep rumoured to leave City at the end of next season. If you're Ten Hag you might view Barca/City as being a more natural fit for your brand of football than we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.