Would you throw away the Bayern match?

Hughie77

Will be leading 2 nil with 10 mins to go and there be a shot from the half way line and the keeper will miss it.. then they get a pen .. and same old shit.. or the weakest keeper in the CL messes it up again..

Nebel

Not in a million years. This team needs to get the hunger and willingness to fight for the badge. It can only come from grit and hard work.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The idea of throwing a match is small time and pathetic in elite level sport. It serves no one.

Stadjer

Nope I wouldn't try not to win. Truthfully, the Champions League is just not our level, heck does anyone think we'd even win the Europa. I don't, but that is at least a competition we can somewhat realistically be competitive in and progress to the latter stages in, with a bit of luck.

The attitude of treating the Europa League like we're above it, particularly after so many years of us proving that we aren't cut out to compete in the Champions League. Is just so weird to me at this point. Of course I want United to have another shot at winning a trophy, they better bust their asses against Bayern to win.
100% agree. Said the same yesterday. We are a Europa League team and it will be good for some young players to play those games too. Besides that, it might be the easiest (still not easy or expecting us to win it) of getting back into the CL next season.

Mwooyo

To be honest, I think Europa League will be a hindrance for us. I would rather get out of Europe than be in Europa

AFC NimbleThumb

Same fans telling this squad of players it would be bad to throw the Bayern game were the ones justifying the multiple catastrophic Europa League feck ups in recent years Because Mickey Mouse or something like that.

You get exactly what you allow, a number of these players should be nowhere near the club after the last half decade.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
No, have to hope for the best and in case we did end up in europa wither make a concrete attempt to finally win the damn thing or just play second stringers and rest the rest.

Throwing away the game should be unacceptable.

CasaStreets

Apart from the fact that we are unlikely to win it, even victory would be costly too if the other match doesn’t end up the way we want. We’d suffer Europa League and have the schedule destroys our fitness like last year.

This year we have been very bad with injuries, imagine throwing Europa League on top of it?

While if we throw that match, we’d crash out of Europe. But we will also escape the Europa League, which will seriously hamper our league campaign.
This is so silly. If you get into Europa but we need to make the league the priority to achieve a CL spot, then play our B team and youngsters in Europa so they get experience. Win-win.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why throw it away?! This team need to show they can challenge the best and beat the best. Our form against the top teams in the prem this season is nowhere near good enough. We’ve beat most of the bottom teams. Each win brings more confidence we need to go on a run and get a winning mentality. I don’t know any team or manager that would set out to lose on purpose, especially at home when fans have paid money to watch their team perform.

Someone

Something
That's a small club mentality, and we should never be thinking like that.

If there's CL hope, we go for it. If we get to the EL, we go for it.

YikesSchmeics

We have had so many injuries that you can't claim it would kill our fitness many key players have missed a quarter of the season and counting so should have plenty in the tank for the 2nd half of the season.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Strange and borderline stupid post.

Bayern will definitely not field their best team. It’s either full of reserves or a mixture of half first teamers.

We are capable of winning it.

It’s never good to lose anyway, even in smaller competitions and friendlies too.

Mainoonited

Have to have some dignity. Maybe rest some players if it's needed - but don't play a second string.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This is so silly. If you get into Europa but we need to make the league the priority to achieve a CL spot, then play our B team and youngsters in Europa so they get experience. Win-win.
Or you could win the Europa and qualify via that - that also means the Scousers don't win it

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
We should do our best against Bayern, but our best will only prevent a convincing defeat. We won't win the match, so the question if we should 'throw it away' is purely academic.

Todd

Bayern might play their kids, as they need nothing out of the match. We might be in a position in which we could actually win the match, and if that happens all it takes is a stupid draw out of the other match and we go through. Stranger things have happened many times in the CL.

Even failing that scenario, dropping into the Europa is probably our best chance at CL next season, so it'd be stupid to piss an opportunity like that away.

In trying to be a bit optimistic for a change, I'm hoping that everyone coming back from injuries in the new year and a January window in which we sign a few players might see us have a bit of an upturn heading into spring.

weizxx

What about throw away the league so we can finish out 8th so we don't have to play at Europe at all next year?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I wouldnt want us to throw a game even if it meant securing a PL trophy. Nothing is worse than bad sportsmanship.

ti vu

Bayern might play their kids, as they need nothing out of the match. We might be in a position in which we could actually win the match, and if that happens all it takes is a stupid draw out of the other match and we go through. Stranger things have happened many times in the CL.

Even failing that scenario, dropping into the Europa is probably our best chance at CL next season, so it'd be stupid to piss an opportunity like that away.

In trying to be a bit optimistic for a change, I'm hoping that everyone coming back from injuries in the new year and a January window in which we sign a few players might see us have a bit of an upturn heading into spring.
I wouldn't be too hopeful about that though, given the supposed partial club purchase seems to drag on even now. The new guys would need to get a hold of club private financial health. Not sure until everything is official Glazers would allow confidential info to be cleared to be accessed. I don't have high hope for partial owner would volunteer to shoulder the club debt (if that's allowed), then pump some more money to invest in the squad.

So it may look to be a month away, but in term of careful planning, it seems too short for me. Between looking at the financial health, work with agents to move deadwood even out on loan with ETH's approval (manager still has some say) as well as inquiring about available players that fit the needs... Also we may not look to sign players for this season, but look ahead for the future instead. So fund is not always generously available for this window with panic expensive purchase. Last but not least, finance the infrastructure revamp should be on the card of good owner, so can't just solely focus the fund for short term quick fix of the playing squad where plenty of damage/wastefulness of resource is already done.

Agree that for a club of our stature, there is no way we should throw this game when there is still a glimpse hope to qualify. Can't just give up then somehow Copenhagen draw Galatasaray, only to regret for the rest of the season. If we're to prioritize then wait until we drop to EL (if applicable) then rotate and give some bench players a start.

Last edited:

Wilt

Why on earth would Utd not want Europa football? ….it‘s a decent trophy and Champions League qualification.

Playing and hopefully beating Bayern should be an absolute must in any circumstance, otherwise what’s the point? Plus stopping Liverpool winning should be a priority!

Jeez the mentality of some posters here?!

ti vu

Why on earth would Utd not want Europa football? ….it‘s a decent trophy and Champions League qualification.

Playing and hopefully beating Bayern should be an absolute must in any circumstance, otherwise what’s the point? Plus stopping Liverpool winning should be a priority!

I am all for trying our best against Bayern. However, since the new rule about awarding extra spots for next season CL, teams from Spain Italy Germany France Portugal and of course England like West Ham and Brighton would be extra motivated to push for both fronts. Since they're not only aiming for winning EL and make CL next season(a big dream), but also making extra European qualification for next season available in the league position is beneficial for them in case they finish below 7th.

It's a great bonus to win a trophy, but playing our skin in hope to meet Liverpool to stop them from winning EL is more self harm than helpful. Even in our best form, Liverpool is scary team for us to meet. Let's say, playing out of our skin then meet them in semi final only to be well beaten in two legs, while we're not guaranteed to finish in top 5 against tough competition in PL, is bad priority given the state of our squad.

So if we're somehow dropped to EL, I would like us to prioritize by giving squad players game time instead of playing our key players like last season.

Wilt

I am all for trying our best against Bayern. However, since the new rule about awarding extra spots for next season CL, teams from Spain Italy Germany France Portugal and of course England like West Ham and Brighton would be extra motivated to push for both fronts. Since they're not only aiming for winning EL and make CL next season(a big dream), but also making extra European qualification for next season available in the league position is beneficial for them in case they finish below 7th.

It's a great bonus to win a trophy, but playing our skin in hope to meet Liverpool to stop them from winning EL is more self harm than helpful. Even in our best form, Liverpool is scary team for us to meet. Let's say, playing out of our skin then meet them in semi final only to be well beaten in two legs, while we're not guaranteed to finish in top 5 against tough competition in PL, is bad priority given the state of our squad.

So if we're somehow dropped to EL, I would like us to prioritize by giving squad players game time instead of playing our key players like last season.
So basically you’re saying we avoid playing Liverpool because they’re likely to batter us?

Just not understanding you‘re mentality ….playing Liverpool home or away are the biggest games of the season, win or lose.

Pronewbie

Peep

We've wilted

ti vu

So basically you’re saying we avoid playing Liverpool because they’re likely to batter us?

Just not understanding you‘re mentality ….playing Liverpool home or away are the biggest games of the season, win or lose.
Your mentality is exactly like Liverpool fan's during SAF reign. They made it our as if our clash being their season final whereas we had other bigger current rivals/ ambitions to care about bigger picture. We shouldn't be worried about our rival trying to win second rate European competition.

And read again. The priority should be making the best out of our league campaign. Tried our best last season in EL for naught, and kinda wrecked us with injuries last season toward the end. Arguably the fitness issue this season is partial hangover of stress from insane amount of games last season. Ole's final season might have suffered something similar with EL run to final and the delayed EURO. There is EURO for next summer! It's not useful to go on a goose chase making same mistake.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
All posters who advocate not trying in (or throwing) a game should have their tag lines amended to say that they approve of United deliberately losing matches so we know who they are

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I'd throw away a ticket to it.

Never ever want us to lose though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
100% agree. In matter of fact, i would throw away Fa cup (of course because it is 6-7 games). Football is not about fighting for trophies anyway.
When i think about it; i strongly think that we should throw away league. Hear me out; if we finish in top 6 then we will either;
1) Play in CL next year so again be in huge danger of playing EL. Even if we get through in CL, we will lose against City or Real so why bother?
2) Go directly in EL which is apsolute disaster. Playing European football.....God forbid.

So, the best way for us would be to sell half of team in January, hire Solskjaer again and be a team which will sit around 10th place.
This is the way!
The last manager to lead United to a league finish lower than 7th was SAF in 1989-90, not even Moyes, Jose or Ole came close to 10th

Wilt

Your mentality is exactly like Liverpool fan's during SAF reign. They made it our as if our clash being their season final whereas we had other bigger current rivals/ ambitions to care about bigger picture. We shouldn't be worried about our rival trying to win second rate European competition.

And read again. The priority should be making the best out of our league campaign. Tried our best last season in EL for naught, and kinda wrecked us with injuries last season toward the end. Arguably the fitness issue this season is partial hangover of stress from insane amount of games last season. Ole's final season might have suffered something similar with EL run to final and the delayed EURO. There is EURO for next summer! It's not useful to go on a goose chase making same mistake.
What‘s the point of “making the best of our league campaign” if you want to duck out of European competition?

Pool, City, Arse, Chelsea…. the big games are what Utd is all about, nobody gives a toss about beating relegation fodder.

Utd play 38 prem games every season with the aim of winning it (all be it unlikely), or at least qualifying top 4 ….ie Europe.

Not playing European football for a club the size of Utd is absolute shite ….mid table stuff.

ti vu

What‘s the point of “making the best of our league campaign” if

Pool, City, Arse, Chelsea…. the big games are what Utd is all about, nobody gives a toss about beating relegation fodder.

Utd play 38 prem games every season with the aim of winning it all be it unlikely, or at least qualifying top 4 ….ie Europe.

Not playing European football for a club the size of Utd is absolute shite ….mid table stuff.
European football would mean CL. EL is not short of mid table, bottom half of table level opposition. And ideally you would want the path with less resistance. Since Mourinho EL victory, it's been proven that EL is not easy without some luck of draw for us, and just as explained previously, it can be a set back under circumstances in long run.

If your aim to try intercept Liverpool in EL in hope of derailing them, then why not try harder in the league where you're guaranteed to meet them? Doing well against tough teams and maintain 6 points from top gap, into late season and that is a decent league campaign.

Just because some teams slip and end up in EL, doesn't mean EL is prestigious. It's supposed to be glorified competition for mid tablers and underachievers. Noone should be losing sleep if their rival to win this competition.

Wilt

European football would mean CL. EL is not short of mid table, bottom half of table level opposition. And ideally you would want the path with less resistance. Since Mourinho EL victory, it's been proven that EL is not easy without some luck of draw for us, and just as explained previously, it can be a set back under circumstances in long run.

If your aim to try intercept Liverpool in EL in hope of derailing them, then why not try harder in the league where you're guaranteed to meet them? Doing well against tough teams and maintain 6 points from top gap, into late season and that is a decent league campaign.

Just because some teams slip and end up in EL, doesn't mean EL is prestigious. It's supposed to be glorified competition for mid tablers and underachievers. Noone should be losing sleep if their rival to win this competition.
Not agreeing you’re pessimistic mentality ….absolutely no point continuing conversation.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Apart from the fact that we are unlikely to win it, even victory would be costly too if the other match doesn’t end up the way we want. We’d suffer Europa League and have the schedule destroys our fitness like last year.

This year we have been very bad with injuries, imagine throwing Europa League on top of it?

While if we throw that match, we’d crash out of Europe. But we will also escape the Europa League, which will seriously hamper our league campaign.
We dont need to purposely throw a game, our players are more than capable of doing it without thought or planning.

Wrecking ralf

No game should be thrown away, but if ETH has a tactic or team selection he was thinking cautiously about trying then this is the game for it. Not expected to win, so no worry about playing the wrong side. I’d genuinely play Amrabat and Mainoo together and try shaw at centre back with Varane. We’re missing Martinez and I think Shaw has similar qualities. Mainoo and Amrabat could work well together. Amrabat doesn’t suit the line 6 role so having Kobe with him takes away that burden and allow him to play his natural game. Maybe try a front 2 of Martial and Hojjund to see how they compliment each other too. Since we’ve struggled for goals at times.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
You know the manager is so bad when people wants us to throw away a CL campaign (which we qualified with great difficulty btw) to play fecking spurs. You can't make this up.

Betson

What about throw away the league so we can finish out 8th so we don't have to play at Europe at all next year?
Is there a way we can drop the football aspect of the club altogether , we are crap at it anyway. Maybe just 100% concentrate on social media output, ticktock videos and the like. I reckon a section o our supporters on here would be much happier with that.