Wout Weghorst - Manchester United Player (on loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

I think it’s a shrewd signing. Martial doesn’t have the bollocks on him, and Wout is gonna be a bit of a bastard. Just a shame we didn’t get him a week ago.
Yeah bloody frustrating we can't call on him late in the game today,could have made their CB's feel decidely uneasy. When a pass goes into the box late on I will keep thinking if only Wout was there.

KetilOwren88

«He’s big, he’s bad, he’s Wout Weghorst
Challenge him, and you’ll be toast
He’s pissing off Messi
And now he’s gonna win the LEAGUE«

croadyman

Freed from Desire just came on MTV 90s,couldn't help but change the lyrics

HILLSIDE

Good luck Wout. I trust ETH's judgement. Financially appears low risk but we need this to work.

ClaretMunky

Supports
Burnley
interesting. thanks for the input.
I heard your team under the new manager completely changed the playing style. I also heard the former coach staff indicated Wout is not the type of player doing channel run like Wood and Barnes.
From the limited opportunities in World Cup, I feel he could play a role like Haller to Ajax under ETH. That’s probably what many people are excited about his joining. If he indeed is good at it, your Burley will definitely find his usefulness. That’s why I feel Burley help his transfer to us even though there is no buy option/obligation anymore. Of course, the above can be completely unfounded.
People thinking about chaos in the box or thinking about physicality have got him wrong. He's not like that. He's really technical and a good presser. He did not rough opponents up and he was bad in the air in terms of fight balls. We had zero accuracy and hit loads of lofted crosses and loved diags - our midfield play was so limited last season. He just got annoyed with it all. He was very demonstrative. The J-Rod goal against you is exactly what he can give you.

City-Puma, I totally get where you are coming from. We underperformed against you in the cup but you have the impression of our new style about right. I was disappointed that many of the younger players seemed nervous. Plus, Muric is a major part of the style and Tella was not available. On pure philosophy terms, Weghorst should be good to go now. He has less aggression to hold the ball than many of you are expecting, it really is in to feet and first time lay off. He's quite elegant and has good vision.

OK so why do I disagree about us wanting to keep him? Quite long winded this - His attitude towards relegation did not sit well with many Burnley fans - I am not convinced he would be forgiven. He clearly thinks we are beneath him and he was only here to play Premier League football. I can appreciate that we are a stepping stone but there's a way to go about it. He's a mercenary. With your team that really doesn't matter. You have a manager who can handle his attitude (from an outsider perspective ETH seems a strong character), you are an elite superpower club and you have some seriously quick players to run off him and some players with excellent vision to play it into his feet. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work. Your profile helps us to sell him. Weghorst is fortunate to have this opportunity.

Secondly, he's prone to being sulky and we don't want to be paying his wages when we are trying to rebuild our squad still. We did a lot of business refreshing and I expect us to continue in this window. The new owner's financing is Glazeresque but we don't have a worldwide fanbase to pay it. We probably have two seasons to achieve promotion or it could be a bit dodgy for us. For you, the leveraging of debt has meant a long period of mismanagement and under investment in infrastructure. For us, it could be terminal. Most of our signings have been small fees and are unknown. With the sales of Pope, McNeil, Collins, Cornet we are nowhere near spending that in return. In fact, the owners have used it to pay off the debt that they bought the club with. Another season in the Premier League probably get us nearly straight depending on the ownership's desire for risk. More risk equals better squad but financially more perilous. I know he's likely to be fairly disliked on here but Kompany has been a revelation. We've been very lucky essentially.

Reactions: 711

croadyman

People thinking about chaos in the box or thinking about physicality have got him wrong. He's not like that. He's really technical and a good presser. He did not rough opponents up and he was bad in the air in terms of fight balls. We had zero accuracy and hit loads of lofted crosses and loved diags - our midfield play was so limited last season. He just got annoyed with it all. He was very demonstrative. The J-Rod goal against you is exactly what he can give you.

City-Puma, I totally get where you are coming from. We underperformed against you in the cup but you have the impression of our new style about right. I was disappointed that many of the younger players seemed nervous. Plus, Muric is a major part of the style and Tella was not available. On pure philosophy terms, Weghorst should be good to go now. He has less aggression to hold the ball than many of you are expecting, it really is in to feet and first time lay off. He's quite elegant and has good vision.

OK so why do I disagree about us wanting to keep him? Quite long winded this - His attitude towards relegation did not sit well with many Burnley fans - I am not convinced he would be forgiven. He clearly thinks we are beneath him and he was only here to play Premier League football. I can appreciate that we are a stepping stone but there's a way to go about it. He's a mercenary. With your team that really doesn't matter. You have a manager who can handle his attitude (from an outsider perspective ETH seems a strong character), you are an elite superpower club and you have some seriously quick players to run off him and some players with excellent vision to play it into his feet. I'd be surprised if it doesn't work. Your profile helps us to sell him. Weghorst is fortunate to have this opportunity.

Secondly, he's prone to being sulky and we don't want to be paying his wages when we are trying to rebuild our squad still. We did a lot of business refreshing and I expect us to continue in this window. The new owner's financing is Glazeresque but we don't have a worldwide fanbase to pay it. We probably have two seasons to achieve promotion or it could be a bit dodgy for us. For you, the leveraging of debt has meant a long period of mismanagement and under investment in infrastructure. For us, it could be terminal. Most of our signings have been small fees and are unknown. With the sales of Pope, McNeil, Collins, Cornet we are nowhere near spending that in return. In fact, the owners have used it to pay off the debt that they bought the club with. Another season in the Premier League probably get us nearly straight depending on the ownership's desire for risk. More risk equals better squad but financially more perilous. I know he's likely to be fairly disliked on here but Kompany has been a revelation. We've been very lucky essentially.
Have heard from others he's not got aerial presence of an Osimhen,however seems he scored a few headers at Wolfsburg so clearly can meet a cross well enough when required

city-puma

Oh, LBO?! Thats not good, the pressure is on now due to interest hike. But, at least Kompany is a right appointment for your team. You are destined to premier league. It will ease the pressure for sure. Good luck to Burnley.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Is there an option for us to buy him if he turns out good for us?

croadyman

Gutted for him he won't get to feature in a league derby today,however there could be opportunities to play at Emirates, Nou Camp,Anfield maybe even Wembley in next couple of months

ClaretMunky

Supports
Burnley
Have heard from others he's not got aerial presence of an Osimhen,however seems he scored a few headers at Wolfsburg so clearly can meet a cross well enough when required
Not seen much of Osimhen. Premier League is more physical, I was surprised at how poorly he held the ball up. We were really direct under Dyche and did expect the strikers to deal with big lumps forward and to run channels a lot. Weghorst was bullied quite a lot initially. He then clearly got annoyed by it because it wasn't his game and it wasn't going to work. You could see him telling his team mates that it was not good enough. We just didn't have the ability to do anything different. Our delivery into box was less accurate than he was used to but he's underwhelming in the air. Barnes (shithouse and club legend) is more effective in an aerial scrap.

Brighton away was his best performance for Burnley. Norwich away his worst. Norwich away highlights the mismatch between our old style and what Weghorst is about. You can find highlights on YouTube of both.

He's like a really skilful Crouch that will press hard rather than some powerhouse aerial striker. Don't assume big man stereotypes and you won't be underwhelmed.

nakpodiareuben

Are we sure this is a good idea? What if this leads to Martial sulking and losing his form? Is it really worth hurting his feelings?
I have had to watch wout since the rumour started! He is not coming to start from the bench. He will become a regular in this team. Martial has not been laying regularly due to injuries and he knows that. So no qualms. The rule is simple: lay well and you will earn a spot

nakpodiareuben

I think it might be a contractual obligation to have a crucifix earring if you’re a United striker these days.

Ronny started wearing one, and I noticed Rashford wore one in photos for player of the month today. Now Wout, weird.
Saw the earrings when Rashford was interviewed yesterday. It looked odd on him because I thought he was a shy decent guy. Anthony and Ronaldo have definitely influenced him.

Elcabron

I'm a Claret. He works really hard and has a great touch and is quite technical on the ball. You can pop it into him and run off him. He's awful in the air. I know the World Cup suggests otherwise but he literally never looked likely to score from a cross. He also isn't a target man in the old school sense. He doesn't scrap for neck high shit lumped in - we needed him to. His finishing is less than clinical and it cost us a relegation - Wood et al had worked miracles if you look at our XG from previous seasons. He is pretty confident and comes across as arrogant. He really didn't fit in our dressing room.

I think he got caught in the new approach from the owners and Dyche was not sure about him. I think he will probably be a decent fit because you will have pace off him and he is intelligent and quick distributor. His ego will think that United are big enough. It seems strange because it is a budget deal and it is not very United.

From our point of view, if we do get promoted he can still be sold. He's not a good fit for us.
Your first two sentences are enough for me....this is all we need really along with a handful of goals between now and end of season.

sugar_kane

Saw the earrings when Rashford was interviewed yesterday. It looked odd on him because I thought he was a shy decent guy. Anthony and Ronaldo have definitely influenced him.
Honestly I can’t weigh the guy up. There’s the shy hard working local lad who helps his community and takes on the tories then there’s the PR machine who throws managers under the bus via briefings and downs tools last season.

I think the simplest explanation is he’s just a young lad working in a weird industry and like all of us, he’s inconsistent and contradictory.

crossy1686

career ending
He's also a millionaire, he can wear whatever he wants and still be a shy, reserved guy. I don't know how you've made that leap based on some earrings someone was wearing.

Rolaholic

Boomers getting triggered by earrings :lol:
It's funny when it was quite common place to see dating back to the 80's and 90's :lol:

The likes of Kluivert, Maradona and Baggio wore them to even Michael Jordan. It's not really something recent at all

ROFLUTION

Honestly I can’t weigh the guy up. There’s the shy hard working local lad who helps his community and takes on the tories then there’s the PR machine who throws managers under the bus via briefings and downs tools last season.

I think the simplest explanation is he’s just a young lad working in a weird industry and like all of us, he’s inconsistent and contradictory.
this is hardly confirmed though, so maybe just stick to analyzing what we do know for certain.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Incoming Weghorst and Licha bromance ? They say real recognise real :lol: . Imagine the celebration if Weghorst scores from Licha assist

AndySmith1990

Bet Martial will start sulking now there's some competition for his place, and Wout will become a starter in no time

Red Rash

Pretty happy with this signing even though I know next to nothing about him.

It's a short term deal and if it doesn't work out then he will leave in the summer. If it works out it shouldn't be too difficult to convince him to leave Burnley.

Even though he had a poor record at Burnley his scoring records in Eredivisie and Bundesliga were decent before that and he also seems to have done okay in Turkey.

I would expect him to be used mostly off the bench to begin with and he can offer us a different option to what we currently have.

Also he is at a good age where he should have a decent amount of experience to rub off on the younger players but also not like when we signed Ronaldo and Cavani as they were beginning to hugely decline due to their ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.