Wout Weghorst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santos J

How can the loan club hold something like this hostage ? Can't Burnley simply recall him and tell Besiktas to feck off as the Geordies did with Dubravka ?
Newcastle had a clause to recall Dubravka, Burnley won't have that.

croadyman

Ye we do need a striker ASAP. Could be very useful late on if we’re chasing a goal.
Hopefully Erik doesn't hold him back as long as we saw with Casemiro,having said that maybe he sees them very differently in adaptation

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hopefully Erik doesn't hold him back as long as we saw with Casemiro,having said that maybe he sees them very differently in adaptation
I think him and martial will probably rotate depending on the opposition. Weghorst will be more useful against deeper teams, he’ll cause problems in the opposition box. Martial will be better against open teams.

OverratedOpinion

I know he's seen as a stop gap for a difficult situation in a difficult market, but still: I can't stop being amazed that Wout fecking Weghorst has people pretty excited on here!
We are desperate for bodies up front and we are signing a very decent striker.

Why exactly are you amazed that people are happy?

croadyman

Probably because it's yet another person judging him on the spell at Burnley which most UK media are doing as well

OverratedOpinion

I’ve noticed this too. It’s a really lazy ABU narrative that they are spinning to drive sales and clicks. Kinda sad really.
Meh it's okay, it will be fun to hear them talk about us signing Burnley's rejects and then see them become very silent when he starts banging in goals.

croadyman

I’ve noticed this too. It’s a really lazy ABU narrative that they are spinning to drive sales and clicks. Kinda sad really.
Wait till he pops up with a huge goal then enjoy them eating a little bit of humble pie

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Probably because it's yet another person judging him on the spell at Burnley which most UK media are doing as well
Cause it's Weghorst. Never really been seen as a great talent, even if he was obviously quite good at Wolfsburg. Never seen as a potential start for the Dutch national team either, despite the lack of quality strikers for the Netherlands. And somehow distinctly flat in terms of reputation.

It's cool for him though. He has worked extremely hard on his career and his ability (not one of those natural talents that lazily float to stardom), and I'm probably remembering him through that prism back from when he was slowly making his way up through clubs in the Dutch leagues. (No, not based on his Burnley spell! :lol: He actually started very strongly there.)

Kinda like Dumfries: you never expect him to be able to make the next step up, but he keeps pulling these things of (Dumfries a bit more spectacularly, but still).

Anyway, good for Weghorst, and I hope he does awesomely - but I'm still amazed at his career trajectory and that he's now become someone many United fans are looking forward to having in their squad. :)

Adamsk7

I must admit I didn’t know too much about him other than he was tall, Dutch and was shite at Burnley but his goal/assist stats in his last Eridivise and his four Bundesliga seasons are pretty good! Couple that with his good season thus far and it seems that his stint in English football was the anomaly rather than the norm.

Much more relaxed about this signing now because we make far more chances than Burnley do plus we’ve been crying out for someone who’s a target man and great at pressing. I just thought (wrongly) he didn’t know where the net was but that doesn’t actually seem to be the case

OverratedOpinion

Cause it's Weghorst. Never really been seen as a great talent, even if he was obviously quite good at Wolfsburg. Never seen as a potential start for the Dutch national team either, despite the lack of quality strikers for the Netherlands. And somehow distinctly flat in terms of reputation.

It's cool for him though. He has worked extremely hard on his career and his ability (not one of those natural talents that lazily float to stardom), and I'm probably remembering him through that prism back from when he was slowly making his way up through clubs in the Dutch leagues. (No, not based on his Burnley spell! :lol: He actually started very strongly there.)

Kinda like Dumfries: you never expect him to be able to make the next step up, but he keeps pulling these things of (Dumfries a bit more spectacularly, but still).

Anyway, good for Weghorst, and I hope he does awesomely - but I'm still amazed at his career trajectory and that he's now become someone many United fans are looking forward to having in their squad. :)
Yeah I get that but I feel like it is "excited with context" no one is jumping for joy thinking he is going to be our world class number 9 for the next 5 years. He is undoubtedly a very decent striker though and we are crying out for numbers there. If Rashford suddenly goes through a lean spell next month we could struggle.

mav_9me

I know he's seen as a stop gap for a difficult situation in a difficult market, but still: I can't stop being amazed that Wout fecking Weghorst has people pretty excited on here!

I also feel this is kind of a @KirkDuyt post. Do I owe royalties?
I for one am excited for his pressing, hold up play. I expect him to be a rotational option as a striker, last 15 - 20 minutes in most games, starting cup games. Who knows he might even start PL games if he does well with his pressing.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah I get that but I feel like it is "excited with context" no one is jumping for joy thinking he is going to be our world class number 9 for the next 5 years. He is undoubtedly a very decent striker though and we are crying out for numbers there. If Rashford suddenly goes through a lean spell next month we could struggle.
Yeah, of course. I know no-one is hailing him as finally a worthy successor to Rooney and Van Persie. :)
I for one am excited for his pressing, hold up play. I expect him to be a rotational option as a striker, last 15 - 20 minutes in most games, starting cup games. Who knows he might even start PL games if he does well with his pressing.
I feel a large part of my amazement is probably an underestimation of his actual ability - which I think is also the case in the Dutch press more generally. He's in put in the 'big lump' category, but that's not fair to him.

Tibs

Was hoping this would all get completed today so he could fly over and potentially be on the bench v City...looks unlikely now

croadyman

Surprisingly technical guy. His finishing is elegant. Reminded me of Berbatov. Better header than the Bulgarian. According to YT highlights of course
Yeah nice little lay off at 1:18 too and yes I know it's only YT highlights but shows he can do it

Laurencio

We are all dewouted to Weghorst's success. I believe!

BenitoSTARR

Scout
(8)We’ll take him on loan now Burnley,
(Take him on loan now)
We’ve got Wout,
(We’ve got Wout)
Come on come on come on Erik now,
Come on and bring him on out
(Bring him on out)(8)

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I think him and martial will probably rotate depending on the opposition. Weghorst will be more useful against deeper teams, he’ll cause problems in the opposition box. Martial will be better against open teams.
I agree, and tbh, most teams change their approach during games depending on the circumstances, so I think there will be plenty of games where we need to start with one option and finish with another.

Its actually having those different options that is most important.

NLunited

One thing that worries me is it's not exactly like we're creating bags of chances that are crying out for a striker to put away. We'll create 3 or 4 big chances a game and generally score them atm.
Is it actually a striker we need?
Hopefully when he makes his typical striker moves, he will get played in. We needed someone in the box with the right movement for ages. Wout scores 99% of his goals from close range.

croadyman

Hopefully when he makes his typical striker moves, he will get played in. We needed someone in the box with the right movement for ages. Wout scores 99% of his goals from close range.
We need someone who has that predatory finishing ability

Unam333

Can someone enlighten me?

So, I watched an interview with Marco van Basten and according to him Weghorst is an average header of the ball and he isn't a target man who can holds up the ball like Luuk de Jong. Weghorst likes to keep the defenders busy by pressing and bullying them.

Is it true?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We’re a funny team when it comes to transfers. We always make things difficult or go for the difficult option. If there’s something holding this deal up then we should just threaten to walk away and move on to another target. They’ll be the ones that are sorry when they have an unhappy player. Playing for us is like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

croadyman

Can someone enlighten me?

So, I watched an interview with Marco van Basten and according to him Weghorst is an average header of the ball and he isn't a target man who can holds up the ball like Luuk de Jong. Weghorst likes to keep the defenders busy by pressing and bullying them.

Is it true?
Don't matter I will judge him for myself when he gets here

Status
Not open for further replies.