SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

mav_9me

@Arruda

Couldn't agree more. It is the same every fecking where. Can't fecking provide ppe but come out with this kind of nonsense.

I haven't posted it anywhere before but this is what I feel. Give me fecking ppe, I am more than fine working 16hrs a day. I don't even need extra money or clapping or shouting we are heroes or any of that. Just give me fecking PPE. I will clarify that where I work I have enough right now. But so many people don't. And that is a disgrace and a colossal failure here in USA but pretty much everywhere.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
My elderly relatives have been forced into isolation and the people next door on both sides have offered to take round shopping for them whenever they need it. I've also had at least three letters through the door from people down my road offering help to whoever needs it; people are doing a pretty good job of helping out each other, even if they don't know them well in my experience. People want to feel useful right now.

I'd argue that feeling a bit uncomfortable about asking a neighbour doesn't really make it necessary that people drive long (ok 30 miles isn't long but it's longer than 30 metres) distances to help. Which is worth bearing in mind, at least, because if we end up copying aspects of other countries' lockdowns if ours isn't working as hoped then those journeys will be banned anyway, so worth having a back up.
Phuket counts on tourism for 90% of its income; Nov- March is peak season so a disaster this year. Covid19 deaths started in early March, and they have only recorded 4 deaths so far. When I left late March, they checked my temperature 3 times at airport before I could get on plane. They closed all restaurants, bars, gyms entertainment venues before Boris instructed UK, banned any stranded tourists and locals from beach, all people have to wear masks, and endure nightime curfew enforced by their military. Any new incoming tourist has to have uninfected covid19 certification and $100k covid19 health insurance.

Thats total shut down, destroying their entire economy, to save lives of their people, many of whom are poor tourism personnel, traders or rural farmers. And their people are following rules just fine. If they don’t, military rough them up.

China, Singapore, Taiwan, India Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, South Korea etc all require their returning citizens to undertake quarantine. Also none of these countries have better 'lockdown' benefits than what UK Government has offered.

The UK 'LockDown guidelines’ of self isolation, quarantine, physical distancing are comparatively shambolic. when I got back from Phuket I was stunned I wasn't required to go into 7 or 14 days quarantine and could adopt 'stay Home' guidelines like everyone else 'until symptoms' (I competed my 14 days yesterday). People are still returning to UK airports with zero health checks or clear quarantine instructions.

Even these 'stay home unless key worker, shopping or exercise’ are so vague and abusable. There is too much wiggle room which is why it cant be strictly enforced and why there are so many 'transgressions'. Even by ministers like above (I think he was within the limits, albeit stupidly defined limits).

Not surprising that Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington’s School of Medicine said UK could become the worst-hit country in Europe with up to 66,000 deaths.

This easter weekend is going to be a total clusterfcuk. Was weird and embarrassing to watch Raab essentially beg UK public to adhere to his Easter 'Stay at Home' request. I don't understand why Government doesn't clearly specify much tighter regulations and empower the army to strictly enforce them. A few will moan on social media (eg @Fiskey about civil liberties and 1984): let them, it's just digital hot air, instead of their infected virus laden breathe polluting the lungs of innocents.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This is the cover of Azores biggest newspaper tomorrow's edition.

The lady in blue is the nurse coordinating my team, a brilliant woman who has dedicated 16 hours per day to this fight for the past 4 weeks. The only way we can make her get some rest every now and then is by organizing ourselves and deliberately ignoring her on her off days so that she gives up and goes home a bit earlier.

She is sitting on my chair, that yellow bottle is mine. She sat there because I refused to be photographed when the reporter came in, and an empty chair would look ugly in the picture.

The reason I refused to be photographed is because we had just been given those masks two minutes before and told to put them on. When we saw them coming we were happy, as we have been demanding them for days. To our dismay, we were told we would get one each and that we should take care of it because it would have to last one or two weeks. They're designed to be discarded at least every three hours, sooner if they become damp.

When I saw the reporter coming in, I immediately left in protest, and stood at the door laughing at the situation.

When you talk about propaganda and cover-up in China, think about this. It happens everywhere. You're just oblivious to the one around you.

I'm not being braver than my colleagues by standing up. It's just that they are employees with bosses, whose bosses are the government. I'm a volunteer, so I do what I want, and my colleagues thanked me for embarrassing their bosses and the newspaper.

*Applauds

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Looks like The Torygraph is embarrasing themselves by publishing ministerial hypocricy as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...ert-jenrick-drove-40-miles-visit-parents/amp/
Am a Labour voter and cant stand BJ's version of toryism, but even I think this reports are ridiculously misleading and desperate clickbait. But now also coming from all the elite media too. MSM is desperate for ad revenues and on verge of financial collapse, so 'clickbait' every article.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
@Arruda

Couldn't agree more. It is the same every fecking where. Can't fecking provide ppe but come out with this kind of nonsense.

I haven't posted it anywhere before but this is what I feel. Give me fecking ppe, I am more than fine working 16hrs a day. I don't even need extra money or clapping or shouting we are heroes or any of that. Just give me fecking PPE. I will clarify that where I work I have enough right now. But so many people don't. And that is a disgrace and a colossal failure here in USA but pretty much everywhere.
The lack of PPE in Europe and USA is the most brazenly incompetent fcuk up by Western Governments and bureaucrats.

When this thing is over, people should be jailed for manslaughter for those mistakes.

@Arruda Kudos to you for your rightful protest.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The lack of PPE in Europe and USA is the most brazenly incompetent fcuk up by Western Governments and bureaucrats.

When this thing is over, people should be jailed for manslaughter for those mistakes.

Seems like there is zero institutional memory. Its not like virus epidemics are once in a generation event.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why would a minister doing exactly what he was telling everyone else not to do not be newsworthy? Hardly clickbait. Closer to a resigning matter.
As an outsider, you really cant expect anyone not to go outside everyonce in a while. We're not talking about walking the dog or a walk in the park. It's caring for his old parents. Plausible.

I'm on my 4 weeks stay at home. But my wife still goes once a week to check on her widowed mother. Get in the car drive there asap and drop supplies. We still do grocery shopping once a week. Does it means we didnt follow quarantine rules? There's always gray areas.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As an outsider, you really cant expect anyone not to go outside everyonce in a while. We're not talking about walking the dog or a walk in the park. It's caring for his old parents. Plausible.

I'm on my 4 weeks stay at home. But my wife still goes once a week to check on her widowed mother. Get in the car drive there asap and drop supplies. We still do grocery shopping once a week. Does it means we didnt follow quarantine rules? There's always gray areas.
40 miles to see his parents just maybe but then moving his family 150 miles to his second home is inexcusable.

Just typical Tory elitism. Don't do what I do. Do what I say. And whatever happened to leading by example?

Last edited:
One of my swedish friends on FB posted a chart that Sweden is following a delayed Italy steps. Hope he is wrong
He’s wrong @4bars, there’s no chance of Sweden going the Italy route. Curve has absolutely flattened out in Stockholm. Now it’s moving onto Gothenburg.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/y3rdeA/coronaviruset-har-ar-de-senaste-siffrorna

https://www.svt.se/datajournalistik/corona-i-intensivvarden/

ICU entries per day has been stable for weeks now. There are 471 people in ICU right now and just 203 in Stockholm ICU, and we've already increased the ICU capacity in Sweden with 80% since the outbreak and that figure is growing daily.

Health ministry extremely happy, and even considering easing some restrictions/advice in Stockholm as development is following their model extremely closely. Will be after Easter though as they are definitely shitting it a little that we’ll feck it up over Easter.

As it is now, there’s almost zero difference to regular death rate over March/April.

Winter tummy bug and regular flu cases dropped off a cliff from 2-3 weeks ago so what they are doing here is working.

People only looking at deaths per day so early aren’t looking or thinking long term, but even that has been stable enough. 65, 58, 54, 67, 66, 53, 47 (although those last 2 days likely to get another 10 or so late figures added to them).
Stockholm health service working very hard like most places in Europe but not close to being overwhelmed and the big failure in Stockholm so far is that we have allowed it into soooo many nursing homes, 121 just in Stockholm.

Gonna be some huge news here today after the random tests, health ministry should be giving us the approx percentage of total infected (past and present) in Stockholm according to their model using those tests which showed 2.5% actually bearing the virus on that test.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
He’s wrong, there’s no chance of Sweden going the Italy route. Curve has absolutely flattened out in Stockholm. Now it’s moving onto Gothenburg.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

Health ministry extremely happy, and even considering easing some restrictions/advice in Stockholm as development is following their model extremely closely.
Will be after Easter though as they are definitely shitting it a little that we’ll feck it up over Easter.

As it is now, there’s almost zero difference to regular death rate over March/April.

Winter tummy bug and regular flu cases dropped off a cliff from 2-3 weeks ago so what they are doing here is working.

People only looking at deaths per day so early aren’t looking or thinking long term. Stockholm health service not close to being overwhelmed.
Happy to hear mate. lets keep it up

To be fair I realized that the graph was per capita

Happy to hear mate. lets keep it up

To be fair I realized that the graph was per capita
They mentioned yesterday how misleading those graphs are so early in a pandemic. Lombardy was the area that got annihilated so to water down the figures with the 50 million other Italiens living in other regions gives a totally incorrect picture.

If anything you'd have to do a Milan - Stockholm graph to really compare.

Seems Sweden going it alone and aiming for herd immunity approach.... be interesting to see where they are stats-wise in two weeks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...down-sweden-sees-rise-in-deaths/#7586eac63dfe
You'd think a forbes journo would actually check out this stuff rather than just making an article from worldometres figures :lol:

Deaths per days since 2nd April 65, 58, 54, 67, 66, 53, 47 (although those last 2 days likely to get another 10 or so late figures added to them).

Journo has just seen 100+ for two days on Worldometer and hasn't even researched it to show that these were due to late reports which happen absolutely everywhere.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You'd think a forbes journo would actually check out this stuff rather than just making an article from worldometres figures :lol:

Deaths per days since 2nd April 65, 58, 54, 67, 66, 53, 47 (although those last 2 days likely to get another 10 or so late figures added to them).

Journo has just seen 100+ for two days on Worldometer and hasn't even researched it to show that these were due to late reports which happen absolutely everywhere.

Norway have done a miles better job at protecting their elderly to start with, even the experts here are saying that.
Norway will start opening up again soon and people there will die, we surely know by now that it’s inevitable? But even then I think Norway will come out better than Sweden if they continue to do a better job with their elderly.

121 nursing homes in Stockholm is a naughty figure.

Two things this virus has shown up about Swedish society so far are inequality and that we do a shit job with our elderly, not just in pandemic times.

That Sweden has passed India in cases has zero meaning whatsoever. Ireland has nearly as many cases as India, which also has zero meaning.

And no, 8% of people getting Covid-19 do not die, we all know that, stupid journalism.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
They mentioned yesterday how misleading those graphs are so early in a pandemic. Lombardy was the area that got annihilated so to water down the figures with the 50 million other Italiens living in other regions gives a totally incorrect picture.

If anything you'd have to do a Milan - Stockholm graph to really compare.
Good mate. if it works should be the strategy to follow when we get out of confinement

Good mate. if it works should be the strategy to follow when we get out of confinement
Well, but protecting nursing homes miles better I’d hope.

We’ve lost almost 500 in the 80+ bracket, almost 200 of those in the 90+ bracket. Many of these were avoidable if kept out of homes, home help were tested better etc. or if we set up our nursing homes better like they do in Norway, it’s just so often not as professional here :(

Hopefully someone can make a good antibody test as this would save soooo many in places like this.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Well, but protecting nursing homes miles better I’d hope.

We’ve lost almost 500 in the 80+ bracket, almost 200 of those in the 90+ bracket. Many of these were avoidable if kept out of homes, home help were tested better etc. or if we set up our nursing homes better like they do in Norway, it’s just so often so unprofessional here :(

Hopefully someone can make a good antibody test as this would save soooo many in places like this.
Yes. Nursing homes had been hit everywhere in every country. The only ones in my home country that had no cases is because the responsibles by themselves took extra precautions way before COVID was considered a menace.

Sure everybody learnt. Just we need to find a path to continue with our lives while containing the deaths below what it would be acceptable (flu like, or any od the regular illnesses that we already have) and confinement can't get for long. Economically will be a disaster.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Seems Sweden going it alone and aiming for herd immunity approach.... be interesting to see where they are stats-wise in two weeks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...down-sweden-sees-rise-in-deaths/#7586eac63dfe ...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/
They are already interesting if you compare it with two weeks earlier.

Portugal and Sweden are interesting to compare. Similar population, both rather peripheral countries, both followed opposite approaches, and a few weeks ago we were pretty even in all stats.

Now they got almost double our deaths and three times our CFR.

They are already interesting if you compare it with two weeks earlier.

Portugal and Sweden are interesting to compare. Similar population, both rather peripheral countries, both followed opposite approaches, and a few weeks ago we were pretty even in all stats.

Now they got almost double our deaths and three times our CFR.
Still not seeing longterm Arruda.

We have slowed the spread, massively, doing things we can do until Christmas if need be, you're also 4 days behind Sweden. CFR mate? Critical FR?

Ludens the Red

Do you genuinely believe that people should be charged with manslaughter regarding this?

I think there needs to be some common sense and logic applied to this PPE issue as frustrating as it is before we get into this endless crusade of blaming and suggesting people should be up for manslaughter charges etc. In Arruda’s case that’s really poor from the press in that particular instance. And I get why he’s fuming.

But to start with, not every hospital in the Uk has actually run out of PPE or is in short supply, a lot are well stocked. There are a lot that are clearly not however, I'd assume the problem lies with getting the equipment, masks especially?

Essentially you’ve got all these hospitals, police stations, GP’s etc that are essentially trying to order equipment that is likely to be used in a day that would ordinarily be used in a month. 2000% increase in demand is the last I heard.
That’s not mentioning the large number of irrational members of public who were
/are also ordering supply.

I think there were PPE’s in reserve for a pandemic but it’s not enough and really never was gonna be (obviously) This is something that can be questioned but then we're going into that whole weary hindsight area. This is literally a once in a lifetime situation for everyone.

Then you have to take into account the chain of supply. If your country doesn’t have the factories producing these things you have to import right?
Are the countries who make these products more regularly going to bend over to export their products abroad at this current time ? I'm not so sure

Then you take into account the difference between culture in somewhere like the Uk to somewhere like Japan/China etc . Their use of masks is a day to day thing so I'd imagine they have the supply and the resource to make more?

And then there's the fact you have hundreds of thousands of nhs volunteers who will now need and use PPE. It is near enough impossible to keep up with the country wide demand.

It seems everybody in the NHS is working together to try and get things moving, army bringing in equipment, getting equipment from schools etc. Ordering directly from wholesalers. But it'll take longer than a month to get the sufficient worldwide supply in.

And just to add I say this as someone on the frontline who has seen a spell of a lack of ppe in the last month, although it’s improved. I also have a 65 year old mother working as a nurse. So I get it, but this doesn’t seem to me to be the kind of area where we need get the pitch folks out and start blaming people.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Man who lives next door to my Parents has now been put on a ventilator.

man from the site team from work was taken to hospital two days ago.
Receptionist at work had her Gran die of it yesterday.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Still not seeing longterm Arruda.

We have slowed the spread, massively, doing things we can do until Christmas if need be, you're also 4 days behind Sweden. CFR mate? Critical FR?
I don't give a shit about long term. Short-term is so urgent (and determinant of the mid-term) that seeing long-term is either futurology or obliviousness.

EDIT: I edited "thinking" to "seeing". They're two different things. I think long-term too. And my reckoning is that it's both unpredictable at the moment and completely dependent on what we do now. At the lack of better knowledge, we chose to save lives no matter the cost.

I don't give a shit about long term. Short-term is so urgent (and determinant of the mid-term) that thiniking long-term is either futurology or obliviousness.
I get that, considering your job, but whether you give a shit or not, the virus is here for the long term so I hope the people who matter are thinking about both.

Less deaths now doesn’t equal less after 6 months.

I hope, once you come out of lockdown and start up schools and shops again that you can better Sweden, if you maintain better control of your nursing homes you likely will. The deathtoll in Portugal however is going to increase a lot over the next 6 months, as it will everywhere. I keep saying it, but spreading out that death toll is what will be key for all countries.

At the lack of better knowledge, we chose to save lives no matter the cost.
I get you mate and you may be correct long term, who knows? Certainly not me.

I'd imagine Anders Tegnell and the Health Ministry in Sweden believe they are doing exactly that though, saving lives and that they have the knowledge to do just that. We have flattened that curve with the measures we have put in so it's hard to argue with them right now, can other countries flatten their curve after their lockdowns? That'll be a big test for us all.

But Sweden aren't out of the woods by any stretch, we have to keep this curve flat now, and then for month after month after month. Even Easter is a big issue that the authorities are shitting themselves about and even outside cafe/restaurants service will be subject to massive controls this weekend; anyone not following the regulations will be immediately shut-down.

As I said to Pogue yesterday, the result of this test and model for percentage of total infected in Stockholm are going to be eye opening I'd imagine. Hopefully they share their findings at 14:00.

What I will say mate is that Portugal, Austria, Norway, Ireland and a bunch of others are bonafide success stories 1 month into this pandemic.

But to paint Sweden as some kind of disaster/cautionary tale to learn from is so wide of the mark it’s untrue. Sweden are doing much better than lot of countries and much can/will be learnt from their successes and failures during this past month. What measures worked? I’d say keeping schools open, backed up by a published paper from University College London the other day is their biggest success.
Keeping it from nursing homes their biggest failure by far.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

*Applauds

Brilliant post, that.

Honestly, it baffles me that in 2020, there are a lot of people out there who think every other country brainwashes via media propaganda, but theirs is the only one that hasn't succumbed to that proven effective means of pacifying the population. There are so many people lacking critical thinking its unreal. Propaganda is what 'those weird foreign countries do innit'. And saying otherwise makes you a conspiracy theorist. Which again, is pretty good propaganda skills because as soon as the government utters those two words, a huge hoarde of the population will never look into that issue ever again because they don't want to be called one.

This is the cover of Azores biggest newspaper tomorrow's edition.

The lady in blue is the nurse coordinating my team, a brilliant woman who has dedicated 16 hours per day to this fight for the past 4 weeks. The only way we can make her get some rest every now and then is by organizing ourselves and deliberately ignoring her on her off days so that she gives up and goes home a bit earlier.

She is sitting on my chair, that yellow bottle is mine. She sat there because I refused to be photographed when the reporter came in, and an empty chair would look ugly in the picture.

The reason I refused to be photographed is because we had just been given those masks two minutes before and told to put them on. When we saw them coming we were happy, as we have been demanding them for days. To our dismay, we were told we would get one each and that we should take care of it because it would have to last one or two weeks. They're designed to be discarded at least every three hours, sooner if they become damp.

When I saw the reporter coming in, I immediately left in protest, and stood at the door laughing at the situation.

When you talk about propaganda and cover-up in China, think about this. It happens everywhere. You're just oblivious to the one around you.

I'm not being braver than my colleagues by standing up. It's just that they are employees with bosses, whose bosses are the government. I'm a volunteer, so I do what I want, and my colleagues thanked me for embarrassing their bosses and the newspaper.

Brilliant that.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Someone needs to tell the Police to stop doing dumb things.
What does a non essential aisle look like? Clothes aisle? Maybe my kids need new trousers. Kitchen utensils? Maybe we need a new soup pot because we've wrecked the existing one using it twice a day. Electronics? Maybe the missus needs more double A batteries for that back massager she uses three times a day.

Maybe your baby only eats Angel Delight due to the stress of being stuck indoors for 23 hours every day? And surely everyone needs a decent bottle of plonk for their Ragu that they've been making every Sunday night for ten years now? And who says that Friday Night Fight Club is closed?! Just because you can't leave the house? I've got six challengers in my house already, I don't need anything other than the bottle of Buckfast to get that party started!

Dog food? Well, the dog needs food. Stop trying to violate my dog's human rights. Magnum ice creams? Sorry officer, I was in the frozen aisle and in my haste to grab some potato waffles I accidentally touched this tub if Ben and Jerry's. To avoid contamination I've decided to buy it but I'll happily let you put it back if you want?

And anyone who says you don't need nicotine oil clearly hasn't seen what I'm like in the mornings.

arnie_ni

What does a non essential aisle look like? Clothes aisle? Maybe my kids need new trousers. Kitchen utensils? Maybe we need a new soup pot because we've wrecked the existing one using it twice a day. Electronics? Maybe the missus needs more double A batteries for that back massager she uses three times a day.

Maybe your baby only eats Angel Delight due to the stress of being stuck indoors for 23 hours every day? And surely everyone needs a decent bottle of plonk for their Ragu that they've been making every Sunday night for ten years now? And who says that Friday Night Fight Club is closed?! Just because you can't leave the house? I've got six challengers in my house already, I don't need anything other than the bottle of Buckfast to get that party started!

Dog food? Well, the dog needs food. Stop trying to violate my dog's human rights. Magnum ice creams? Sorry officer, I was in the frozen aisle and in my haste to grab some potato waffles I accidentally touched this tub if Ben and Jerry's. To avoid contamination I've decided to buy it but I'll happily let you put it back if you want?

And anyone who says you don't need nicotine oil clearly hasn't seen what I'm like in the mornings.
They have to just be following orders. If the government thought they were overstepping theyd tell them.

If they knew they were overstepping themselves they wouldnt be flouting it on social media.

They are doing whatever they've been told to do imo.

Someone higher up the food chain needs to get a handle on this not the guys in uniform on the streets

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They have to just be following orders. If the government thought they were overstepping theyd tell them.

If they knew they were overstepping themselves they wouldnt be flouting it on social media.

They are doing whatever they've been told to do imo.

Someone higher up the food chain needs to get a handle on this not the guys in uniform on the streets
They've just posted an apology and said it was an over exuberant officer. Which is another way of them saying that they've got a power hungry twat in their ranks who they've had to take to the side and say "shut the feck up Dave, look at the mess you've gotten us into".

TheReligion

Abusive

It was all fine until they mentioned the non essential aisle. I'm sure it was best intentioned all the same and at the end of the day it's one officer that's posted on social media, not the entire police service of England and Wales.

The force have apologised and explained their stance. And also that the officer has been spoken to. Big deal? Not really.

Alabaster Codify7

They've just posted an apology and said it was an over exuberant officer. Which is another way of them saying that they've got a power hungry twat in their ranks who they've had to take to the side and say "shut the feck up Dave, look at the mess you've gotten us into".

Yep, if we're expected to abide by the law and stay within our four walls, then as long we aren't hoarding essential supplies (or causing problems) what we choose to purchase for use in those four walls is literally the only freedom we have left in this situation. It's an impossibility to police anyway, and even if they attempted it it would fizzle out quickly - ridiculous idea.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yep, if we're expected to abide by the law and stay within our four walls, then as long we aren't hoarding essential supplies (or causing problems) what we choose to purchase for use in those four walls is literally the only freedom we have left in this situation. It's an impossibility to police anyway, and even if they attempted it it would fizzle out quickly - ridiculous idea.
Exactly!

Last edited: