WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ireland are very poor with the ball at feet - none of them seem to want to take the bull by the horns

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Better second half, Ireland deserved the draw I think.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
it's abysmal, let's be honest. Just feels so slow and unexciting. Honestly think the league of Ireland is better and more exciting and that's fecking saying something when these women are supposed to be the cream of the crop.
You won't see the 'cream of the crop' until the late knock outs and it probably won't feature any of today's teams (Oz could make it if Sam Kerr recovers)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
just feels like Ireland wont score at all - they dont seem to have a clue around the box
They don't. Their midfielders aren't bad but they really don't have goalscorers.

Australia underwhelming but get the 1-0 win.

Ireland will be feeling disappointed now to have got that close, because they did have chances to get a result. Hopefully it'll be good for their morale overall once they get chance to reflect - that result against that opposition in that stadium is a good one.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm definitely emotionally invested in the result. I'm involved with a grass roots club whose girls teams have exploded in number over the last few years. So it's brilliant to see the Irish team playing football on the biggest stage. If we can nick a draw today it would be fantastic. I'm just struggling a bit with the spectacle. I'm a woman's football noob and have found the standard of football in the first half to be much worse than I expected. Oh well. I'm going to keep watching the GIG anyway.
Im also a relative noob and, although I know what you mean, after a while you just stop comparing to the Men's game and take it for what it is

Remember that group games at the Men's WC are often cagey affairs and doesn't usually kick into gear until the knockouts

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You won't see the 'cream of the crop' until the late knock outs and it probably won't feature any of today's teams (Oz could make it if Sam Kerr recovers)
It’s more the speed of the game and how slowly they pass the ball around that gets me and I doubt that’ll improve much

RORY65

Im also a relative noob and, although I know what you mean, after a while you just stop comparing to the Men's game and take it for what it is

Remember that group games at the Men's WC are often cagey affairs and doesn't usually kick into gear until the knockouts
This is, I enjoy watching football so having a World Cup to watch is great. Plus I've seen enough games involving Irish men's teams at tournaments and they've not exactly been like watching 2011 Barcelona either.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
New Zealand were great. Ireland defended grimly; the Ozzies unimpressive. Dull game. I first watched women’s football in 2011; Japan won then, they were brilliant. McCabe was immense for Ireland defensively.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
it's abysmal, let's be honest. Just feels so slow and unexciting. Honestly think the league of Ireland is better and more exciting and that's fecking saying something when these women are supposed to be the cream of the crop.
But the league of Ireland has improved dramatically over the years. Look at women’s tennis - better than men’s. It’s time and resources and coaching

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
What's going on here?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I think my main problem with is that the sport I've personally played at the highest level (field hockey) doesn't have anything like the same disparity between the men and woman's game. The men play at a faster pace and are obviously stronger and more athletic but there's no discernible difference in terms of the basics of touch, ball control and accuracy of passing. So I would often enjoy watching the women play almost as much as the men. If anything, the slightly less frantic pace helps with the spectacle.

With women's football, I find that the poor (relative to the men) basic skills make it really frustrating to watch. At least that's been my experience in the maybe half a dozen full games I sat through. Although I appreciate that this is probably more down to top flight men's football being played at an insanely high level, which has left football fans like me with unrealistic expectations for the women.

Anyhoo. I think the GIG won't be too disappointed with the result today. Onwards and upwards!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Apologies for the source, think The Guardian has a story as well…

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Apologies for the source, think The Guardian has a story as well…

No idea how well these sell, and while I understand not shipping a ton to stores, at least online they should be made available.

Grande

Just got back from the game against Norway. Obviously pretty happy with the result. The rain stayed away till the game finished which was great. Largest ever crowd to a womans game in NZ, in fact the largest ever crowd to a football match of any kind in NZ. This should help boost ticket sales for the games that NZ arent playing in here which is great. Im not sure what happened to Norway, I really expected them to outplay us, they looked like they were pretty one dimensional from where I was sitting. May have looked different on tv. Pretty nerve wracking last 20 minutes though.
Impressing tactical display by New Zealand. Norway looked like they are shaken still by the eight goal loss to England in the Euros. Hardly two consequtive passes.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think my main problem with is that the sport I've personally played at the highest level (field hockey) doesn't have anything like the same disparity between the men and woman's game. The men play at a faster pace and are obviously stronger and more athletic but there's no discernible difference in terms of the basics of touch, ball control and accuracy of passing. So I would often enjoy watching the women play almost as much as the men. If anything, the slightly less frantic pace helps with the spectacle.

With women's football, I find that the poor (relative to the men) basic skills make it really frustrating to watch. At least that's been my experience in the maybe half a dozen full games I sat through. Although I appreciate that this is probably more down to top flight men's football being played at an insanely high level, which has left football fans like me with unrealistic expectations for the women.

Anyhoo. I think the GIG won't be too disappointed with the result today. Onwards and upwards!
Ive never watched hockey in my life but I enjoy football at all levels - I'm often watching grassroots kids footy nowadays as my child is involved, that's obviously a far lower level than the WWC and I still enjoy it. I go and watch local semipro footy sometimes too - of course I don't try and compare it to the PL because that would be pointless.

Having an emotional attachment obviously helps too, I guess it's the main reason you are watching the Irish ladies and yes they put in a good shift today.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One thing this WC has made me think is that I hope Australia never get a world cup ... The time zone difference is a killer. Sorry Aussies.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Desired effect from NZs win, both the NZ v Phillipines and the USA v Netherlands games in Wellington have sold out.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
One thing this WC has made me think is that I hope Australia never get a world cup ... The time zone difference is a killer. Sorry Aussies.
You do understand all of us in down here have to deal with the time zones when WCs are played in the northern hemisphere. We just get on with it. Harden up buttercup

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You do understand all of us in down here have to deal with the time zones when WCs are played in the northern hemisphere. We just get on with it. Harden up buttercup
Yeah but there's only like 5 of you. For the greatest good!!

RedDevilQuebecois

FFS, Christine Sinclair! That was a great position to shoot.

edit: Forgot to mention that we have 2 Reds starting for Canada right now - Adriana Leon and Jayde Riviere.

Last edited:

Twisted_Woody

Scout
FFS, Christine Sinclair! That was a great position to shoot.

edit: Forgot to mention that we have 2 Reds starting for Canada right now - Adriana Leon and Jayde Riviere.
Glad I'm not the only caftard watching this one.

Genuinely worried about our chances. Love Sinclair to death but where is the competition for her position? Do we have no young players making the step up.

RedDevilQuebecois

0-0 HT

Canada had most of goalscoring chances, but could not properly test the Nigerian goalie. Then Nigeria began to get more comfortable in the game.

I expect Canada to have more of the same with better ball possession, but I hope something will change when Jessie Fleming will come on.

Vanrouge

0-0 HT

Canada had most of goalscoring chances, but could not properly test the Nigerian goalie. Then Nigeria began to get more comfortable in the game.

I expect Canada to have more of the same with better ball possession, but I hope something will change when Jessie Fleming will come on.
I think Fleming is carrying a knock, so I get the sense they're keeping her on ice to an extent. Canada played okay in that first half, but yeah, not much of a cutting edge so far.

RedDevilQuebecois

Glad I'm not the only caftard watching this one.

Genuinely worried about our chances. Love Sinclair to death but where is the competition for her position? Do we have no young players making the step up.
Fleming should be that, but she is not completely match fit yet. Meanwhile, I have no problem in saying that Huitema is shite.

edit 1: Possible penalty for Canada.

edit 2: Penalty given. What the hell was the referee doing before VAR called it?