WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

RedDevilQuebecois

Congrats to Spain.

I hope this result will sound the end of teams that chose to play bulldozers before finesse.

redshaw

Best team won despite the antics.

England have been up and down attacking wise this tournament.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I was joking but one European Championship and one World Cup final is pretty impressive.
It is! But that was very poor stuff. I hope she never told them to hoof it and the players just panicked.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
England long ball and desperation nothing changes in finals.

Play the game not the occasion

Ananke

Personally think England have been the better team throughout the WC. But they didn’t play their game today. Looked like the moment got to them.

Agent Red

Well done Lionesses. Getting to the final still something to be hugely proud of. Sarina Wiegman is so incredibly impressive (and seems very likeable).

always_hoping

Royal family and prime minister were right not to travel over. Spain deserved to win a revenge for losing in extra time v England last year via extra time.

The Hilton

Spain are eerily similar to their men's team - technically excellent, and very cynical with the playacting etc. Looks like the other teams will have to catch up on the cynicism front.

Dannn411

How ironic is it that the region that wants to breakaway from Spain is the region largely responsible for delivering two world cups for Spain.

whitbyviking

Spain were much better but I can't stand the Spanish attitude towards sports. Male or female, it's a country full of shithouses.
They do it in the handball too, a friend of my Mrs plays for the Norwegian team so I watch quite a lot of their games. A recent ish game against Spain was hilarious for the shithousery, refs fall for it there too

BeltUp

Supports
United
It's win at all costs regardless of corruption and cheating. The ends justify their means to their sporting culture. Look at Pep cheating at every stage of his career, less his Bayern stint.
Yeah, just leaves a sour taste when they could win playing great football without being absolute detestable bastards.

LordSpud

Royal family and prime minister were right not to travel over. Spain deserved to win a revenge for losing in extra time v England last year via extra time.
William couldn't go because the King hasn't been there yet. And Charlie hasn't been invited over soo

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
A lot of parallels with the men’s teams of both nations today. Spain being technically and tactically superior whilst diving about and play acting like twats. England playing well through out the tournament but look lost against a half decent team. Our most talented player getting stupidly sent off. Englands over rated manager completely mismanaging every substitution. We even had a bloody head injury, bandaged up so she can play on.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It is! But that was very poor stuff. I hope she never told them to hoof it and the players just panicked.
The manager had some fault obviously but it just feels like Spain was too much. Technical and physically wise. Just a case that the other team was superior. Spanish players were in better form. A pity, was really rooting for England since I dispise Spain.

Ahmer Baig

Spanish players who refused to play under coach must be wishing they hadnt refused.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hard to play against the dark arts of Spain AND dodgy referees.
Meh, beaten because you tried to play like Wimbledon from the 80s. Spain found their passes, England got what they deserved in this match. Do they always play this style? It’s regressive

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So many bizarre posts here from people who were watching their first game of the tournament clearly

Baxquux

They have been tactically smarter and more disciplined
Yes. Also suspiciously fitter (another instance of Spanish 'blood bags?'). But , that, combined with just better across the team at quick interplay, is basically a killer. The only chance England had was to play wide and get quality deliveries in and hope Bright, once Russo came off (Bright is also more robust ) could get on the end of one. Limited tactic but still one which they didn't give themselves the chance to deploy enough. Aside from that, there weren't many ways for this England team against Spanish three-lung press and pep style turnover regain alongside technical level.