Xherdan Shaqiri | Stoke player signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
6th in the league for chance creation, playing for a team which will probably end up relegated.

RW, good age now and would be reasonably priced.

Worth a punt for a top 6 team?

James Peril

Could possibly end up in a team like Arsenal, or even Tottenham since Lucas Moura has failed to show anything since he arrived. Shaqiri is a good little player, but he plays his own way and I think it's difficult to tell him otherwise.. hence Mourinho will never touch him.

haram

No.

He is their main man and concessions are made for him in the team to free him up. That will not happen at a bigger club and he will get exposed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No.

He is their main man and concessions are made for him in the team to free him up. That will not happen at a bigger club and he will get exposed.
Always did OK at Bayern TBH, could be a good replacement for Mahrez this summer when they let him go.

James Peril

Frankly it’s insane that he’s throwing away his best years at Stoke - but that’s how it is. Find it quite amazing that he isn’t living in some nice city in Europe - playing for some second-tier team on a regular basis or sitting on the bench for a really good one. Would not look lost at even Juventus, Atletico, Arsenal or Roma - on the contrary.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No. Too good for bottom teams and not good enough for top 6 teams.

Chance creation stats are very much in favour of set piece takers. Any header from corners and free kicks is a chance created. If I'm not wrong he is their set piece taker.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Could possibly end up in a team like Arsenal, or even Tottenham since Lucas Moura has failed to show anything since he arrived. Shaqiri is a good little player, but he plays his own way and I think it's difficult to tell him otherwise.. hence Mourinho will never touch him.
He only arrived 10 weeks ago. And actually he's been quite impressive in his limited appearances to date.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Decent player but I'd say Mahrez has shown a higher level, so if we went for anyone in the EPL, I'd personally go for Mahrez (or even Willian if they'd be available) for the RW. That being said, Shaqiri is better than anything we have on the right (unless we plan on using Sanchez there) but I'm not convinced he has the high enough "top level" if we ever wanted to get back to the top. Another "squad option" type player is probably as bad a signing as we can make, as we already have them in abundance.

None of them would be my preference though. Any great RW out there, available in the market? I'm gutted we missed out on Douglas Costa when he left Bayern. Was always a fan of his. Then again, I don't follow him week in, week out.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Decent player, who could do a job at a top 6 club I think, but I wouldn’t want to see him at United.

Mahrez is the one we should go for.

Bwuk

No thanks.

He'd be a squad player at best. We have too many players of that sort of standard.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Frankly it’s insane that he’s throwing away his best years at Stoke - but that’s how it is. Find it quite amazing that he isn’t living in some nice city in Europe - playing for some second-tier team on a regular basis or sitting on the bench for a really good one. Would not look lost at even Juventus, Atletico, Arsenal or Roma - on the contrary.
He really wanted to go to Inter instead, but they (typically) couldn’t pay. Stoke agreed a fee with Bayern at the beginning of the summer, but Shakiri turned them down waiting for Inter. He reluctantly joined at the end of the window.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Moura has looked pretty good so far?

Nedved

He really wanted to go to Inter instead, but they (typically) couldn’t pay. Stoke agreed a fee with Bayern at the beginning of the summer, but Shakiri turned them down waiting for Inter. He reluctantly joined at the end of the window.
What? He was useless during his loan spell at Inter. He’s a mid table player.

Ekeke

Yep, worth a try for someone without a doubt. Not sure its us as I'd prefer width on the right hand side, given we have the likes of Rashford, Martial and Mata who are unlikely to go on the outside and get crosses in.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Always did OK at Bayern TBH, could be a good replacement for Mahrez this summer when they let him go.
He was more of a headless chicken than Douglas Costa in his worst game. The career arc Bayern - Inter - Stoke is not by accident.

ti vu

No source of rumor, why thread (especially discussing about us)?

Brophs

The One and Only
He was more of a headless chicken than Douglas Costa in his worst game. The career arc Bayern - Inter - Stoke is not by accident.
Ding ding. We have more than enough players who have one good game in six, most of whom are better than him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ding ding. We have more than enough players who have one good game in six, most of whom are better than him.
Don't think anybody was suggesting that we should sign him? just that he's good enough for a top 6 team.

He would definitely be a good bench option for Arsenal, better than Welbeck/Iwobi IMO.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No source of rumor, why thread (especially discussing about us)?
No rumour. Just a discussion point as to where he may end up when stoke get relegated. Top 6 chance creator. I didn’t ask about United I asked if he’s good enough for top 6 and would anyone take a punt on him considering he’d only cost less than 20m

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
No rumour. Just a discussion point as to where he may end up when stoke get relegated. Top 6 chance creator. I didn’t ask about United I asked if he’s good enough for top 6 and would anyone take a punt on him considering he’d only cost less than 20m
Straight swap for Mata?

Yay or nay?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Straight swap for Mata?

Yay or nay?
Nay. Then we are back to having only one player that could possibly play on the right.

Shaqiri is a fine player but he's a player that should be starting, not being rotated. I don't think United can give him that. Zaha, who's also mentioned here, is similar. We need a player that's a level above.

Deleted member 101472

I’m confident he’d give More than Mkhitaryan or di Maria have us

Schneckerl

What's truly missing in our squad is a Bayern/Inter reject. AMAZING idea.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As others have said, I can see him being Leicester's Mahrez replacement when he surely will finally leave at the end of the season.

That's around the level Shaqiri will probably fit. He is certainly too good to be where he is, but I don't think he's quite top 6 level himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.