Xherdan Shaqiri | Stoke player signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He needs to lose weight badly as a winger. His upper body is too muscular.

poleglass red

He needs to lose weight badly as a winger. His upper body is too muscular.
that's being very generous to him. When he's in top fitness he's a muscular build, right now he's chunky, carrying too weight. As Brain Kerr said on RTE after a match earlier this season "He’s like a bloke that you might see standing outside the pub on a Sunday morning, with his bag with his boots in it,"

Jacko21

Saw him once in a restaurant in Hale.

He was with Arnautovic. Looked like they were on a date. They had a window seat and everything.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He would be a good Spurs buy, he could be a decent squad player in our team too, but Mata would have to go and it's already too many midgets..

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Shaqiri is a good little player, but he plays his own way and I think it's difficult to tell him otherwise.. hence Mourinho will never touch him.
No.

He is their main man and concessions are made for him in the team to free him up. That will not happen at a bigger club and he will get exposed.

Agree with both!

Morpheus 7

There won't be many wanting brick head Shaqiri. Scoring one free kick every six months just won't cut it, he goes missing too much.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Doesnt do enough without the ball for a high pressing team like Spurs, this is a key part of their game. I think it's the main reason they never moved for Zaha and keep Lamela around. There are not too many offensive players that aggressively press as well as Lamela.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Frankly it’s insane that he’s throwing away his best years at Stoke - but that’s how it is. Find it quite amazing that he isn’t living in some nice city in Europe - playing for some second-tier team on a regular basis or sitting on the bench for a really good one. Would not look lost at even Juventus, Atletico, Arsenal or Roma - on the contrary.
That was supposed to be at Inter Milan. Lasted six months there.

I see him as a 1 in 5 player. Will score goal of season contender which will get everyone raving and then you won't see him for the other four games in the month. Similar to Aranutovic.

Probably end up at West Ham or Everton if he stays in this country.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That was supposed to be at Inter Milan. Lasted six months there.

I see him as a 1 in 5 player. Will score goal of season contender which will get everyone raving and then you won't see him for the other four games in the month. Similar to Aranutovic.

Probably end up at West Ham or Everton if he stays in this country.
I agree with everything but I think Aranutovic is an overlooked player, he’s big and strong and actually technically sound. I like him.

Craig Ward

He took a massive gamble coming to Stoke and its backfired big time.

He's nowhere near a top 6 prem club - he's not good enough

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Everton would do brilliant to get him, that is about his level as well.

SER19

Apparently has a release clause of around 14m on account of relegation, this may not be true but surely somebody will take a punt on him. Not saying I’d neccearily want him here but I’d its a question of adding depth, given the choice between arnautovic for the figures being mentioned , or Shaqiri, is there much between them?

Dong Fangzhuo

Shaqiri is younger and fits a more pressing need than Arnautovic so if it had to be one or the other it's very obviously Shaqiri for me. And that's even before considering the difference in transfer fees.

I'd very much prefer we stay away from both though.

SER19

Shaqiri is younger and fits a more pressing need than Arnautovic so if it had to be one or the other it's very obviously Shaqiri for me. And that's even before considering the difference in transfer fees.

I'd very much prefer we stay away from both though.
Yes neither are names I’d have come up with before the season ended but the arnautovic speculation reminded me of Shaqiri

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Apparently has a release clause of around 14m on account of relegation, this may not be true but surely somebody will take a punt on him. Not saying I’d neccearily want him here but I’d its a question of adding depth, given the choice between arnautovic for the figures being mentioned , or Shaqiri, is there much between them?
If we wanted a right winger then I'd take Shaqiri ahead of him, especially at that price. But from what I can gather the links to Arnautovic are based on using him probably as cover for Lukaku (although I'm sure he would get some gametime on the wing).

AndyJ1985

I'm not in favour of signing for the sake of it. Is Shaqiri the best we can do and/or would he significantly improve us? For me it's no to both, so it's irrelevant how cheap he is.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Given how bad our right wing is he wouldn't be a bad deal for £14m. Top 10 for key passes and accurate crosses last season according to whoscored, playing in an awful Stoke side.

Looks like he'll go to Liverpool though.

mad1max954

Given how bad our right wing is he wouldn't be a bad deal for £14m. Top 10 for key passes and accurate crosses last season according to whoscored, playing in an awful Stoke side.

Must be a reason why the big clubs got rid of him. You would of thought he would of made it somewhere better as he has the attributes. Anyone know anything about his attitude? If he is a bad egg you don’t want him anywhere near your team imo, regardless of talent.

Pacificgi

He'd be an ideal squad player for us - benefits are hes relatively cheap in todays market and he can stay out on the right rather than roaming into the middle every time like mata

rampo

If it is a squad player we are looking at, might as well develop Chong than splurge money on Shaqiri (that is assuming we are buying a readymade RW for the 1st team)

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If it is a squad player we are looking at, might as well develop Chong than splurge money on Shaqiri (that is assuming we are buying a readymade RW for the 1st team)
Chong is a different type of player from what I've seen of your youth. Plus he'll take one or likely more years to adapt to senior football. We have Woodburn, Welsh international, who is ahead of him but isn't getting a look in. I would say you need Shaqiri AND a top rated right winger this summer.

I don't particularly want Shaqiri but he's a darn sight better option than Woodburn, Ings or Origi.

IrishRedDevil

My source tells me that he will replace Mahrez at Leicester. When I say my source, I mean
really mean my opinion, based on absolutely nothing.

SambaBoy

He would improve a lot of teams in the PL, but not the top 6 IMO. He could provide back-up at Liverpool, Spurs already have enough back-up and could do with a guaranteed starter and I don't think he's good enough for that.

Everton, West Ham, Leicester should all be taking a look at him depending on the price. A replacement for Mahrez would be ideal for Leicester. West Ham could do with some wingers if they decide to play them and Everton are lacking pace.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Worth bearing in mind that he wasn't even rated among this awful Stoke side's top 5 players by WhoScored too. He's behind 3 other top club rejects in Zouma, Shawcross and Allen. From what I've seen all three of them would be a better choice for a top club, if you were forced to choose. They just don't have the glamour that Shaqiri has. It amazes me how long he's been living off of his reputation. Him, Bojan and Afellay were talked about as stars just a couple of years ago:

great to see players going to such "small" clubs, it shows how highly the premier league is rated and of course money plays its role. Also some players might use it as a next step in their careers as premier league is more in the spotlight than any other league I'd say. Who would have thought that Stoke may have Affelay -Bojan - Shaqiri attacking trio one day
This is somehow in spite of the fact that they were flops before they came to the PL, and since they came to the PL they were consistently part of one of the least productive PL attacks. Before googling I couldn't even tell you what happened to Affelay or Bojan. Turns out they're both still Stoke players. Affelay is so irrelevant that a training ground bust-up led to him being banned from the team for half a season, and Bojan has since gone on loan a couple of times to be a squad player for struggling Mainz and Alaves.

Shaqiri has consistently proven himself to be an average midtable player. Might as well buy Balotelli while we're at it.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Worth bearing in mind that he wasn't even rated among this awful Stoke side's top 5 players by WhoScored too. He's behind 3 other top club rejects in Zouma, Shawcross and Allen. From what I've seen all three of them would be a better choice for a top club, if you were forced to choose. They just don't have the glamour that Shaqiri has. It amazes me how long he's been living off of his reputation. Him, Bojan and Afellay were talked about as stars just a couple of years ago:
You're comparing a made up rating system (which puts De Gea as one of our worst performing players) to hard facts. To put it another way compared to our squad, only Lukaku and Martial scored more PL goals than Shaqiri. Only Sanchez created more chances per game and only Pogba had more assists. I agree we should be looking for better though if we actually intend to use the right hand side of the pitch.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You're comparing a made up rating system (which puts De Gea as one of our worst performing players) to hard facts. To put it another way compared to our squad, only Lukaku and Martial scored more PL goals than Shaqiri. Only Sanchez created more chances per game and only Pogba had more assists. I agree we should be looking for better though if we actually intend to use the right hand side of the pitch.
I'm not sure those facts used out of context are any more useful than this made up system. He scored as many league goals in 3000 minutes as Lingard managed in 1600. The same obviously applies to Rashford with 1 less goal. Goals per games wise he's probably not even in the top 100 in the league. In terms of goals and assists combined, he's only slightly more prolific than Choupo-Moting for christ's sake (220 mins per vs. 200 mins). And in terms of chances created, if you look at it per 90 mins Juan Mata is actually more prolific. If you give him as much time on the pitch as Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Mata have to share between them, he'd be less productive than them all - that's what your numbers are saying.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Whoscored's rating is a comprehensive and unbiased statistics index, if you want to discredit it for a particular player you need a very concrete tactical explanation for that imho.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Using his stats at a poor Stoke team to conclude he wouldn't be good as a squad player at United isn't fair. Maybe the scouting team have determined he has lacked motivation but would thrive playing with the stars in our team for a big a club.

gulli_G

Using his stats at a poor Stoke team to conclude he wouldn't be good as a squad player at United isn't fair. Maybe the scouting team have determined he has lacked motivation but would thrive playing with the stars in our team for a big a club.
Didn't do too good at his last big club.

Status
Not open for further replies.