Yankees

REd FUn DevIl

It's kind of hard to call a club that has won 26 championships a choker. They lost to a better club last night... obviously.

Changes are needed in that club though. Not the manager - the pitching staff.
OHH YES

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
the pitching finally came back to bite us in the ass. The bats weren't as explosive as they were in the regular season. Still I think if we had held on to the lead in game 2 it might have been a different team beating down on the sawks right now. Huge offseason coming up.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
the pitching finally came back to bite us in the ass. The bats weren't as explosive as they were in the regular season. Still I think if we had held on to the lead in game 2 it might have been a different team beating down on the sawks right now. Huge offseason coming up.
I think they gotta bring Torre back simply for cohesion and lockerroom unity. Bring him back for 2008 with club option for 2009, then unleash Mattingly thereafter. As for the players, it's time to dump guys like Mussina, Clemens, Pavano, Farnsworth, and a few others. They need to resign Posada, Rivera, and ARod (the latter will depend on his ranson demands, err contract desire). Per usual, Steiny will meddle too much and force Cashman into a bad signing or two.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think they gotta bring Torre back simply for cohesion and lockerroom unity. Bring him back for 2008 with club option for 2009, then unleash Mattingly thereafter. As for the players, it's time to dump guys like Mussina, Clemens, Pavano, Farnsworth, and a few others. They need to resign Posada, Rivera, and ARod (the latter will depend on his ranson demands, err contract desire). Per usual, Steiny will meddle too much and force Cashman into a bad signing or two.
Hello Marcello. How bout them Cowgirls?

Agree with all that. I have a gut feeling Torre will go though. Shame really. with Joba , Cano and hughes we have some decent young talent to build around.

MrMarcello

Hello Marcello. How bout them Cowgirls?

Agree with all that. I have a gut feeling Torre will go though. Shame really. with Joba , Cano and hughes we have some decent young talent to build around.
Still the best team in the NFC and most likely will represent the NFC in Arizona. ;) I'd like the Boys chances a bit more with a healthy secondary and Terry Glenn back. If you take away Stallworth from NE that's like Dallas not having Glenn (which he hasn't played this season, so the offense will be more dynamic when he does return). It's also quite obvious that Anthony Henry can cover a receiver where as Jacques Reeves can not. I highly doubt Stallworth runs right past Henry. Newman didn't do too bad, a few times running stride for stride with Moss despite not being fully fit yet. NE is unstoppable at the moment but Dallas was the only team to actually challenge them so far. Penalties killed many big plays for Dallas.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Still the best team in the NFC and most likely will represent the NFC in Arizona. ;) I'd like the Boys chances a bit more with a healthy secondary and Terry Glenn back. If you take away Stallworth from NE that's like Dallas not having Glenn (which he hasn't played this season, so the offense will be more dynamic when he does return). It's also quite obvious that Anthony Henry can cover a receiver where as Jacques Reeves can not. I highly doubt Stallworth runs right past Henry. Newman didn't do too bad, a few times running stride for stride with Moss despite not being fully fit yet. NE is unstoppable at the moment but Dallas was the only team to actually challenge them so far. Penalties killed many big plays for Dallas.
any chance Newman was brought back too early? Doesn't look 100% from what I've seen the past two weeks. Cowboys are definitely the team to beat in the NFC but are still a little behind Indy and the blockbusters.

MrMarcello

any chance Newman was brought back too early? Doesn't look 100% from what I've seen the past two weeks. Cowboys are definitely the team to beat in the NFC but are still a little behind Indy and the blockbusters.
Don't think he was rushed back. He was used as a nickel back against Chicago and then started against Buffalo with Henry out (same against NE). He's getting more acclimated to playing. I think the Boys should contact Atlanta about acquiring Hall, then move Henry to FS this season. Hall is a free agent next off-season I think. Maybe dangle a first round pick as trade bait.

Nearco

youth team player
then unleash Mattingly thereafter.
Totally agree

The Curse of Don Mattingly:

1978 - Yanks win WS against the Dodgers
1979 - Mattingly Drafted by the Yankees, Captain Thurman Munson Dies in plane crash, Yankees begin 18 year Championship drought
1995 - Up 2-0 over Seattle in first Wild Card Playoff Series in Baseball history, Yankees lose 3 straight and miss ALCS.
1996 - Don Mattingly officially retires, Yankees rally from an 0-2 deficit to beat Braves 4-2 in World Series started by a 3-run game-tying home run by Jim Leyritz in the sixth inning of game 3.
1997 - Don Mattingly's number 23 retired, Yankees lose to Indians in ALDS 3-2 after being up 2-1 - Mariano gives up home run to Sandy Alomar.
1998 - Don Mattingly has no affiliation with the Yankees, Yankees win 125 games and win the WS 4-0 over San Diego
1999 - Don Mattingly has no affiliation with the Yankees, Yankees lose only 1 game in the playoffs and beat Atlanta 4 - 0 in the WS to achieve a record streak of 12 consecutive WS wins
2000 - Don Mattingly has no affiliation with the Yankees, Yankees beat cross-town rivals NY Mets 4-1 in the WS. WS win streak = 14.
2001 - Don Mattingly becomes a Spring Training Hitting instructor, Mariano blows first save in a World Series in Game 7, lose WS to Arizona 4-3.
2002 - Don Mattingly still a Spring Training Hitting instructor, Yanks get shocked by Anaheim Angels in the playoffs...Angels go on to win series.
2003 - Don Mattingly still a Spring Training Hitting Instructor, After narrowly escaping the ALCS with an extra-inning walk-off HR by Aaron Boone off of Boston's Tim Wakefield, Yankees lose WS to one-hit-wonder Florida Marlins at Yankee Stadium.
2004 - Don Mattingly promoted to full-time Yankee Hittting instructor, despite a $194 million payroll, Yankees blow a 3-0 series lead and lose to the "Cursed" Boston Red Sox in the ALCS. The first time a team has lost a series in MLB after being up 3 - 0, the first time the Yankees have lost games 6 and 7 at Yankee Stadium since 1926. The first time anyone had 6 RBI in a ALCS game (Damon), the first time anyone has had 2 walk off hits in one playoff series, in one calendar day, and in 2 consecutive games in the 100+ year history of the sport (Ortiz).
2005 & 2006 - Don Mattingly continues as Yankee hitting coach, the Yankees lose in the ALDS both years.
2007 - Don Mattingly named Yankee bench coach, Yankees lose in the ALDS for a third straight year and lose the AL East to the Red Sox for the first time since 1995, Mattingly's last year as a player.

Hire that man!