Yankees

Bearded but no genius

By the way, have I mentioned I despise the Yankees and may in fact strop for at least 10 minutes (about all the time I have to get emotional about baseball these days) if the Red Sox blow it.

Julissa may strop a bit longer, largely because I introduced her to the sport just as the drug use drove me away from it so she watches it more than me, and was trained by me to hate the Yankees because of the joy that was the Brooklyn Dodgers - my favourite all time US sports team just behind the late 1950s/early 1960s Baltimore Colts.

I sincerely hope this helps and adds a great deal of insight to this thread.

I'm off to the football thread now to see if the damned Northeasterners want to rank Florida 25th for failing to win 135-0 against a tough divisional opponent.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If we beat Toronto tonight it'll be down to one game and we have the edge when it comes to tiebreakers.

Bearded but no genius

Jasonrh - were you around during the 50s to see the Dodgers in Brooklyn? I had thought you were mid-30ish.
It comes from my father. I'm late 20s-ish.

Ditto the love for the Colts of Unitas' era.

I've seen buckets of film, read tons of books, and have piles of programs, printouts of just about every NYT sports section from 1946-1958 to really understand the team.

I was programed from a very very young age to hate the Yankees and to believe the 1955 Dodgers team was the greatest ever. Sandy Amoros (a LH backup LF who made a stunning catch in Game 7 solely on the virtue of being LH where Jim Gilliam who started there would have never made the catch) was a household name as early as me being five years old.

Koufax, although he didn't get good for another half decade, was my old-time sports hero and a half as a LH pitcher.

The only non-Dodgers from that era I was permitted to love were the Milwaukee Braves, hence my tremendous man-love for Warren Spahn.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bad day for the Yankees and the division looks lost. Still we are in the play-offs and could go all the way.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wang clinched it tonight. Looks like it'll be Cleveland vs NY and Angels vs sawks.

Sabathia who is probably favorite for the Cy young will be key for them. we need our big hitters to come out to play.

Bring on the play-offs!!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bostons lead is down to 2 with 3 to play. Another win tomorrow coupled with a sox loss will make the last two games very interesting.

REd FUn DevIl

Im not a baseball fan but i liked The indians when there were Jim Thome, Omar Vizquel, Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Kenny Lofton (Back on the team).
That was a team but they were all gone slowly and its good to see the new Indians going to playoffs now

FresnoBob

Now that the preseason is over, and baseball's real regular season begins today, I just wanted to bump this thread up near the top.

Any predictions for the Series? I still haven't decided who should meet the Yankees in the finals.

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
Where is Desert?

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
Sox go on to the ALCS Friday. Yanks got a second life last night. Rocket was an embarassment, though. Sad to see a great pitcher try to stay in the game when he is well past his sell-by date.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Sox go on to the ALCS Friday. Yanks got a second life last night. Rocket was an embarassment, though. Sad to see a great pitcher try to stay in the game when he is well past his sell-by date.
For some reason I get the notion that had he signed for Boston this season that performance would have been labeled "heroic" and "gutsy." :rolleyes:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
For some reason I get the notion that had he signed for Boston this season that performance would have been labeled "heroic" and "gutsy." :rolleyes:
This game isn't over.6-3 going into the 8th.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
So that's Torre out then. Suppose he'll be in the booth next year calling games for ESPN or Fox. Or he could sit out a year or two before possibly taking another managerial position. Can anyone see him taking an offer from *gasp* the Mets?

I'd love to see the stRangers offer him the job. He'd never take it though. I've heard LaRussa's name mentioned on the radio but given his nature I don't think NY is the place for him - he'd be ripped constantly by the NY media. I figure Girardi is the man to succeed Torre. If I owned the Yanks, Torre would remain as long as he wanted (ala SAF). But I'd also not have signed players like Giambi, Wright, Pavano, Farnsworth, etc.

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
Now now Marcello, don't be bitter. Rocket was never coming to Boston. In the meantime, it's all good for the Sox as I was concerned we would be facing them. We were not sparkling against the Yanks this year. As for the way Steinbrenner is treating Torre, what a disgrace. Not only is Torre an outstanding manager - I cannot even think of a comparision - he has handled George and the media frenzy that is New York as well as anyone on this planet could. I post on a Sox board and on that board, George STeinbrenner is known as SIAS: shit in a suit.