Yann Sommer | January transfer to Bayern on the cards

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can he save a 30 yard slow rolling shot? Can he pass the ball? Can he collect a cross? If yes for any, then he's an improvement.

Also it seems a prerequisite for teams transforming their style of play with build up play from the back and high pressure to go through a mediocre goalkeeper who can pass the ball. Not saying Sommer is that, but that Pep, Klopp and Arteta all did it.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

Too much postivity in this thread for a player so undoubtedly some reputable German journalist will come along and pour cold water on it ’Nein Nein Nein, schweinhund! Das ist falsch!’

MonkeysMagic

I dont see the logic in a GK leaving a no.1 role to come to Utd, attractive as it may be to a Bundesliga player though questionable in current climate, to be a no.2! At some level if he is approached he's told that no.1 spot is his to take which means we are left with another overpaid squad player with no takers. Thankfully if we do go this way, DDG only has a year left.

Infra-red

He's a solid shot stopper. Fairly middling at dealing with crosses (much better than De Gea, but about on par with Lloris or ter Stegen). Where he really excels is sweeping in behind and, in particular, passing out from the back.

He's a much better fit for what Ten Hag is trying to do than De Gea and would almost certainly immediately replace him as the #1.

JB7

I dont see the logic in a GK leaving a no.1 role to come to Utd, attractive as it may be to a Bundesliga player though questionable in current climate, to be a no.2! At some level if he is approached he's told that no.1 spot is his to take which means we are left with another overpaid squad player with no takers. Thankfully if we do go this way, DDG only has a year left.
If the manager is going to build a team to play how he wants us to play then changing De Gea is imperative and the only surprise is how long it has taken for Ten Hag to realise that. Based on everything we know about Sommer it is clear that he is a much better fit for Ten Hag's style of play and if so then making it happen should be a priority.

McTerminator

We don't really talk about the height of players enough on this forum at the moment so that should bring a nice new topic of debate...
I think the consensus would be that, to expect Sommer to become first choice with his stature would be a tall order;)

aeh1991

Also has one year left on his contract and has been hesitating to accept an extension offer. Nice had offered 2.5m Euros apparently. I think with good arguments (fair challenge on De Gea for no.1 spot), he could be available for 10m Euros.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Also has one year left on his contract and has been hesitating to accept an extension offer. Nice had offered 2.5m Euros apparently. I think with good arguments (fair challenge on De Gea for no.1 spot), he could be available for 10m Euros.
Be less than that, the move to Nice collapsed for one reason or another but I think the offer was accepted.

Popovic

I'm going to pretend and act like I watch him every week, I think he will be a good signing if we can get him for a few million quid. In all seriousness, every time I have watched him I always thought he was a solid keeper. Good distribution and good shot stopper.

Javi

Too small and error prone imo. When watching the swiss NT my social circle has that running gag about the obligatory incoming Sommer-blunder.

Guapa

If we're after him for his distribution great.What's he like at commanding his area ?Because his shot stopping looks average and worse than DeGea's level to me.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Usually the worry would be his height (just 6ft tall) but De Gea is so anaemic in everything bar shot-stopping that it wouldn't make much of a difference from our POV, at least in terms of dominating his area, claiming crosses, etc.

For example last years he claimed 6.4% of the crosses into his penalty area as opposed to De Gea's 3.3%.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Sommer is flattered by our interest, but most likely won't join because he doesn't want to risk his chances of starting at the World Cup.

OleGunnar20

Sounds good. Why are we doing this now? Did the FDJ chase block all goalkeeper scouting too?

Mainoldo

Sommer is flattered by our interest, but most likely won't join because he doesn't want to risk his chances of starting at the World Cup.
Ermmm. He’s competing against Spain’s number 4 keeper. I’m sure he’ll be okay for the World Cup.