Yann Sommer | January transfer to Bayern on the cards

izec

so this rumor died fast?

Would love to get him in as competition rather than Heaton
Wants to stay and secure his place at the world cup by playing. He rightfully so does not believe that he will be a starter, considering United's obsession with De Gea

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Wants to stay and secure his place at the world cup by playing. He rightfully so does not believe that he will be a starter, considering United's obsession with De Gea
Unfortunate. By merit, he would be first choice on day 1.

CM

It's disappointing we've not gone big on this. It should be a relatively simple deal to do if he gets the assurances he needs over game time

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A keeper should be priority this window. After finally signing a DM, De Gea is going to be the biggest weakness in our starting XI. Dalot not far behind.

Mainoldo

Let’s do it. Gives us time to asses De Gea’s replacement.. over the next year.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Please sign him. He's such an upgrade on De Gea and also cheap.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Analysis from December '20:

For a team that plays with tactics similar to Mönchengladbach, it is imperative to have a goalkeeper who is adept with the ball at his feet. This is what Sommer is. His team averaged the fifth-most passes per 90 last season with 441.25 and the fifth-highest possession with 51.7%.

As we can see from the graph above, Sommer is one of the best passers in Europe. He makes the most passes per 90 of goalkeepers that have played over 1.500 minutes in the top five leagues with 33.62. He also completes a very high 99.22% of short or medium passes. Both stats are way above the average.

Sommer is confident in leaving his box which helps his team keep possession, almost acting as another outfield player. It also helps with his defensive actions, making 2.13 sweeps per 90. As we can see in the map below.

As it shows, Sommer is very active in making passes outside of his box. This helps his team retain possession of the ball whilst maintaining a good field position. The Swiss receives 23.91 passes per 90. With his team’s tactics and style of play, Sommer is very reluctant to pass the ball long. 47.35% of his passes are lateral and 74.33% are either short or medium.

----

We should simply tell him that the #1 spot is up for grabs. We want to play progressive football and de Gea can't. None of the other keepers we've been linked to are good enough for ETH's style of play.

Reactions: Varun

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Make this guy no.1 and our performances will pick up big time.

bucky

Not GOOD ENOUGH. Jeezzz.

I don’t know what some of you guys see. I watched the game on Friday. He ain’t it.
Watch some more or watch another sport. One average game also doesn't define a player.

Mainoldo

Watch some more or watch another sport. One average game also doesn't define a player.
I don’t need to watch 10 games to see technical ability.

I’m good thanks. Me and football are fine.

edcunited1878

He'd be a good bridge to a better overall GK in the coming seasons. I'd be pleasantly surprised of this were to go through and EtH started him from the off. Sommer has the odd blunder in him as most GKs do, but he's very much in line with the type of GK needed for what EtH and the PL demands.

His signing would be a massive statement especially if he plays over David in the league.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He sweeps and passes way better than De Gea, I'm not sure he handles crosses all that more confidently, though. His size could also be an issue in this regard

bucky

Kone isn't good enough, at least not yet. He's also not Yann Sommer.

Maybe it's you?
No one is saying that he is instantly going to improve our midfield. He's had one full season in top flight football. The point is that he is very talented and has shown that last season. Which is why we should keep an eye on him. The talent is very obvious, if you watch him a bit. Maybe you can't see it, though.

avgp_1

No one is saying that he is instantly going to improve our midfield. He's had one full season in top flight football. The point is that he is very talented and has shown that last season. Which is why we should keep an eye on him. The talent is very obvious, if you watch him a bit. Maybe you can't see it, though.
Kone is a very good talent, brilliant close control etc, impressive technically and defensively but he is not ready for a big team yet. Has concentration issues, can easily lose the ball in critical areas and also needs a bit more defensive awareness around his penalty area. But yeah has to be kept an eye on

redcucumber

Wow, it's striking seeing a direct comparison. Sommer has virtually double in everything; cross stop percentage, progressive passing yards, passes attempted. Incredible, really. You'd imagine PL football varies from Bundesliga, but importantly Sommer's style of play aligns with what we all sort of expected ten Hag to implement -possession football and control heavy. This would be a massive statement and a much needed move very much in the right direction.

aeh1991

A player who has always deserved to play for a better team. He would be an unchallenged no.1 under Ten Hag. Please do it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His passing attempted are double of DDG. Stats seem show this guy twice more suitable than DDG to play in ETH system. In fact, he's overall twice better than DDG as a keeper since his cross stop % and defensive actions outside penalty area are also double of DDG.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What shite pressing!
Premier league is different level
Some of the clips on that video shows the same pressing that Brentford did to DDG when he made the mistake to pass it to Eriksen. DDG doesn't need to be pressed intensively and already in panic mode. This guy's level of composure, vision, and decision making looks class for ball playing keeper based on the video.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sign him. Tell DDG we are changing our style of play and he'll have to find a new club soon. No need to be half hearted in implementing a new style of play

Swiss_Red89

I would wank myself into delirium if that happens tbh :lol:

He is already a legend in Switzerland and one of the most likeable players to ever play for the nationalteam.

But as I said above, he will not come as Nr.2. We have the Worldcup coming up where he will be Switzerlands undoubted Nr. 1. And he will want to play regularly before it.

As for his strenghtes: Brilliant with his feed. Very good distribution. Good shootstopper. Commands his defence very well. And he is a very smart & good looking young man who has normaly a very good media & fan relationship.

Weaknesses: Is not the biggest Goalie, so maybe on setpieces this could be a challenge in the PL. & he has the odd howler in him. But on the biggest stages he always delivery.

Last edited:

Pronewbie

Peep
I put some of the blame in our ineffectiveness against set pieces on de gea's inability to command his area and come for crosses. De Gea isn't even in the Spanish team now because of his flaws. Sommer will be number 1 if he comes.

Idxomer

it's percentile I'm guessing

50% is very shit for a top keeper
He saved 50% of the penalties he faced last season but before that, he hadn't saved a penalty in the league since 2014.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Please sign him.
Always backed Dave but Brentford was my final straw.

Lyng

Would be a great signing until we find our new long-term keeper. He is much better than De Gea and Henderson