Yaya Touré: "I want to destroy the Pep myth" (France Football interview)

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
One of the quotes is :"It got to the point I asked myself if it was because of my colour."

That doesn't really sound like a man who sure of his accusations if I'm being honest.

Not saying Pep can't be racist but if would really surprise me. I'd say there's more chance of Toure being a bit butthurt. But yeah, who knows.
This was also my issue with it, he starts out talking about Africans then the argument sort of shifts to 'people of colour' and that narrative has zero purchase. But you know, might as well play the race card. And the African argument doesnt hold much water either, ok Eto and Toure, and where does Seydou Keita fit into this narrative? What about Zlatan and Hart who he also moved on? They were not African players of colour. A more solid argument would be Pep is prejudiced against Latin players, in his first season at Barcelona in 2008-2009 Ronaldhino, Edmilson, Dos Santos, Ezquerro, Deco, Henrique, Oleguer, Crosas were all moved on, what a racist.

There has to be a lot more evidence than whatever this is that Toure has put forth, especially to substantiate such weighty claims.

Red_toad

Of all the things that might invalidate Toure's claims I'd say neglecting to mention that white people also live in Africa when talking about racism against black African players is fairly low on the list.
Oh so Africa only has white and black people now? Carry on with the sweeping generalisations. And it was Africans not black Africans he was referring to.

flipit

Touré added: “I think I was dealing with someone who just wanted revenge on me. I do not know why but I have the impression that he was jealous of me, that he took me for a rival. There you have it. We always looked at each other weirdly. He was spinning around me without saying anything, watching me, gauging me but not talking to me. Yet he knows that I speak Catalan, Spanish and English. It should be enough to communicate. But apparently no ... Every time we passed each other, he seemed embarrassed. As if I made him a little self-conscious. As if, also, he had understood that I knew him perfectly.”

I can imagine the bolded part. Guardiola himself has talked about how much he hates dealing with very good players that he for whatever reasons doesn't need in his first eleven, like he strongly empathise with their situation but will not play them anyway. When his ex-players talked about him being a coward I'd assumed that he would probably let his assistant tell the players they're not needed instead of talking to them directly, stuff like that, which would understandably anger the players more.

Reactions: Akshay

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Pep is a twat but Yaya being his stupid self and playing race card to suit himself.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Racism is a serious accusation and you need 100% sure before branding it on someone. Yaya doesn't look convincing at all reading some of those quotes. Pep plays and has played many black players in his career, you cannot call him a racist IMHO. I'm extremely disappointed by Yaya (more than before cause my opinion of him was terrible before) because he is triviliazing a serious subject.
I've only heard him and Eto'o allude to it and those 2 players are some of the most deluded and egocentric people in the world. The kinda would never question themselves before using up any excuses

Treble

Racism is a serious accusation and you need 100% sure before branding it on someone. Yaya doesn't look convincing at all reading some of those quotes. Pep plays and has played many black players in his career, you cannot call him a racist IMHO. I'm extremely disappointed by Yaya (more than before cause my opinion of him was terrible before) because he is triviliazing a serious subject.
I've only heard him and Eto'o allude to it and those 2 players are some of the most deluded and egocentric people in the world. The kinda would never question themselves before using up any excuses
My thoughts too. But let see first the interview.

Steve McGivern

Supports
man city
Come to think of it, which African player has been a key member of a Pep team? Doesn't mean he's racist. Fergie didn't like the AFCON timing.
Which African player has been a key member of a United team, any United team?

SpyLuke10

Well Pep did have issues with Eto'o as well. But he also fell out with Zlatan and Hart. So.....

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Which African player has been a key member of a United team, any United team?
That's not really relevant to this situation.

Fergie wasn't accused of bias by any African players. I'm not saying that what Yaya is claiming is true but no need to bring Ferguson into it.

Daniel Moore

Ya ya the insufferable renowned whinger brings race into the argument to justify his decline in athletic prowess.

Now that's the headline they should have gone with

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ya ya the insufferable renowned whinger brings race into the argument to justify his decline in athletic prowess.

Now that's the headline they should have gone with
At least hear what the guy has to say before jumping to conclusions. He may very well have a genuine grievance for all you know.

Denis79

Where there's smoke there's fire. Eto
At least hear what the guy has to say before jumping to conclusions. He may very well have a genuine grievance for all you know.
Exactly, Eto had some things to say about Pep aswell. This shouldn't be dismissed as bullshit without hearing him out.

Varun

Staff
Not only did Pep forget his cake, gave him Dark Forest when he eventually remembered

MUFC OK

I'm more interested to see what people's reactions are going to be.
Pep is untouchable currently. The media have put all of their eggs in his basket and are in awe of him, everything he does from this point onwards will be flawless.

Regarding the claims, it's incredibly hard to prove actual racism without specific evidence, Pep may even turn around and allege libellous acts from Toure for this. You can't infer racism from peps record with African players, or from his treatment of Yaya. So the reaction will be 'prove it, else it's hearsay at best, defamatory at worst'.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Pep is untouchable currently. The media have put all of their eggs in his basket and are in awe of him, everything he does from this point onwards will be flawless.

Regarding the claims, it's incredibly hard to prove actual racism without specific evidence, Pep may even turn around and allege libellous acts from Toure for this. You can't infer racism from peps record with African players, or from his treatment of Yaya. So the reaction will be 'prove it, else it's hearsay at best, defamatory at worst'.
Guillem Balagué would definitely put his eggs in Peps basket given half a chance.

Urggh, just given myself a terrible image.

redflash

I find it strange and a little alarming that so many poster's on here are so quick to rubbish this before they have even heard the story.

I'm not saying it is true I'm not saying it's not, but think about this. A couple years ago, many people would have said the same thing about sexual abuse in football...look how that turned out when people actually started listening.

Don't be so quick to judge yaya because he's done some daft things in the past. I'm hoping he's not daft enough to make something up on such a subject because it's as bad being accused of racism as it is suffering it.

Janson

This was also my issue with it, he starts out talking about Africans then the argument sort of shifts to 'people of colour' and that narrative has zero purchase. But you know, might as well play the race card. And the African argument doesnt hold much water either, ok Eto and Toure, and where does Seydou Keita fit into this narrative? What about Zlatan and Hart who he also moved on? They were not African players of colour. A more solid argument would be Pep is prejudiced against Latin players, in his first season at Barcelona in 2008-2009 Ronaldhino, Edmilson, Dos Santos, Ezquerro, Deco, Henrique, Oleguer, Crosas were all moved on, what a racist.

There has to be a lot more evidence than whatever this is that Toure has put forth, especially to substantiate such weighty claims.
Ii think it would be a bit too obvious to only get rid of black players. He's not that stupid, given what Yaya says is true. Which we don't know of course.

Treble

Ii think it would be a bit too obvious to only get rid of black players. He's not that stupid, given what Yaya says is true. Which we don't know of course.
So, he gets rid of white players in order to be able to get rid of black players. This is getting really stupid now.

The only thing Guardiola cares about is success and glory. If he could have a team of fantastic black African players with whom to win everything, he would have such a team. He isn't in the business of managing teams to prove a point about the superiority of non-African players. He ain't that crazy or daft. Fergie didn't rely on black African players either. Was he a tacit racist? Of course, not.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So, he gets rid of white players in order to be able to get rid of black players. This is getting really stupid now.

The only thing Guardiola cares about is success and glory. If he could have a team of fantastic black African players with whom to win everything, he would have such a team. He isn't in the business of managing teams to prove a point about the superiority of non-African players. He ain't that crazy or daft. Fergie didn't rely on black African players either. Was he a tacit rassist? Of course, not.
Not sure why you are mentioning Ferguson? Its not like 2 black African players have questioned Fergusons treatment of black African players is it.
Not that I am saying Yaya is right, just remove the strawman argument.

Treble

Not sure why you are mentioning Ferguson? Its not like 2 black African players have questioned Fergusons treatment of black African players is it.
Not that I am saying Yaya is right, just remove the strawman argument.
How could they do it if they did not play under Fergie :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How could they do it if they did not play under Fergie :lol:
Thats the point I am making, why bring him into the conversation? Also Djemba Djemba did play under Fergie so did Quinton Fortune, Diouf too

Treble

This is a too important theme to be watered down by silly accusations.

Treble

Thats the point I am making, why bring him into the conversation? Also Djemba Djemba did play under Fergie so did Quinton Fortune.
WHY did Fergie not have important black African players? Because it just happened that he didn't sign such players. Not because he had something against such players.

spiriticon

Eto'o s issue with Pep is about respect, in a manner that is similar to Zlatan's. Race was never a thing. He was one of about 7 players of mixed races being shipped out of that Barca team. Why are people lazily lumping it together with Yaya's issue?

Makes me cringe, really.

Anyway, bring on the full transcript. It better have something rock solid in it.

Denis79

The only thing Guardiola cares about is success and glory. If he could have a team of fantastic black African players with whom to win everything, he would have such a team. He isn't in the business of managing teams to prove a point about the superiority of non-African players. He ain't that crazy or daft. Fergie didn't rely on black African players either. Was he a tacit rassist? Of course, not.
Firstly SAF has never been accused of racism and shouldn't even be mentioned in this conversation. Racism is a very serious thing and a huge problem in many societies, it should never be dismissed until we hear the whole story.

If Pep is a racist, not saying he is but if he has those values, it will shine through and it will be picked up. Has nothing to do with intelligence. We should listen to the man before before making judgement. If we dismiss serious allegations like this without hearing people out, things will never change.

Woziak

That's not really relevant to this situation.

Fergie wasn't accused of bias by any African players. I'm not saying that what Yaya is claiming is true but no need to bring Ferguson into it.
Totally Agree
Then only reason Fergie never bought African players was because of the African Nations cup every 2 years in January, he explains this in his autobiography. He loved players of all colours...Yorke and Cole, Ince, Dublin, Nani, Anderson...the list is endless....and players of all colours and nationalities reverred him....Ji Sung Park repeatedly says he was the best manager he ever played for!

Janson

What I meant to say is that it's irrelevenat which race his players are. He can have a team full of black players and still be racist. What I'm saying is, even if he is racist he wouldn't do anything as stupid as making it obvious by getting rid of only black players or never buying them. So we can't really know if it's true, unless several players come out and say the same thing, or if he would be stupid enough to make it to obvious when he's around his players.

Treble

Firstly SAF has never been accused of racism and shouldn't even be mentioned in this conversation. Racism is a very serious thing and a huge problem in many societies, it should never be dismissed until we hear the whole story.

If Pep is a racist, not saying he is but if he has those values, it will shine through and it will be picked up. Has nothing to do with intelligence. We should listen to the man before before making judgement. If we dismiss serious allegations like this without hearing people out, things will never change.
Agree about the bolded bit. But I share the sentiment expressed by kouroux above that there is a distinct risk of watering down an extremely important theme.

Let's see what Toure has said though. Agree about that.

Treble

What I meant to say is that it's irrelevenat which race his players are. He can have a team full of black players and still be racist. What I'm saying is, even if he is racist he wouldn't do anything as stupid as making it obvious by getting rid of only black players or never buying them. So we can't really know if it's true, unless several players come out and say the same thing, or if he would be stupid enough to make it to obvious when he's around his players.
I see, thanks for the reply.

crossy1686

career ending
I find it strange and a little alarming that so many poster's on here are so quick to rubbish this before they have even heard the story.

I'm not saying it is true I'm not saying it's not, but think about this. A couple years ago, many people would have said the same thing about sexual abuse in football...look how that turned out when people actually started listening.

Don't be so quick to judge yaya because he's done some daft things in the past. I'm hoping he's not daft enough to make something up on such a subject because it's as bad being accused of racism as it is suffering it.
I fully agree with what you're saying and you're right to question the validity of his statements. However, I still believe the story to be Toure clutching at straws, I can't speak for everyone else's reasons for thinking so but I believe it's more just ignorance on Pep's behalf than it is actual racism. We forget some of the central European countries aren't as racially sensitive as we are when it comes to this stuff.

I've worked with highly educated African men who've said that most days, they could find racism if they chose to believe that the other person was treating them this way because they're black, but they don't, as carrying that chip hasn't helped anyone in their lives. The reality is most often because the other person is ignorant to their culture as an African and as a black man.

Toure may well have felt often excluded at City, hence cakegate, but he might just genuinely be a difficult person to be around who says that people are racist if he doesn't get invited to an event or is left out of the squad. That kind of behaviour is self fulfilling in the end.

I'll read the article when it comes out and re-evaluate my stance of course.