Yaya Toure

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yaya is comfortably more talented than both. From an attacking perspective he litrally has no weaknesses. Vision, passing, dribbling, touch, control, long range shooting, finishing, power, pace etc. He is probably the most complete midfielder in premier league history.
What about dictating the pace of a game? What about his defensive game? You mentioned all those attacking qualities, hardly any defensive qualities and then you say his probably the most complete midfielder in PL history? Nah. I've literally seen matches, especially in Europe where he was a passenger and the game passed him by.

Don't get me wrong. He's magnificent and as an attacking mid, probably world class (or at least he was, at his peak). But as a box to box CM? He's not more talented then Keane & Vieira. He scores more and better goals then them, sure. But that's severe long term memory loss if you can't remember the level Keane and Vieira played at.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Is he? Most of the times he is their most advanced midfielder, so I don't get how he is a deeplying playmaker. Isn't the point of a deeplying playmaker to dictate the game from deep? You know, like Pirlo, or Alonso or our very own Carrick.

And no, I doubt that even Yaya's mother wouldn't admit that he is as good as dictating the game as Scholes.
He is always collecting the ball from the defenders and building the play from there. I'd definitely class him as a deep lying playmaker, but I don't pay too much attention to labels like that.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I could have sworn that keane and Viera vs tour has been done here. Its not like the cafe to regurgitate the same thing over and over again.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
He's African though so that area of his game never gets highlighted.
Nonsense.

He's a great passer and its acknowledged rightfully. But he doesn't dictate important games all that often, he goes missing in parts then has storming parts.

As for all your other points regarding being the most complete player in premiership history, given that he lacks stamina and doesn't really contribute defensively I'm not sure how you've reached that conclusion.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
He is always collecting the ball from the defenders and building the play from there. I'd definitely class him as a deep lying playmaker, but I don't pay too much attention to labels like that.
When you don't play with both Fernando and Fernandinho I agree, but when they're both present he's involved far further up the pitch.

I think he'll stay further up the pitch as he ages, and act as almost a second shadowing striker. He doesn't have the stamina or defensive nous to play deeper once his legs go, but he'll always posses immense tetechnical ability and strength.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He is though. Yaya even has superior passing statistics than Scholes and he is as good as Scholes when it comes to dictating play.
:lol: This can't be a serious post?

I'll accept that Yaya is perhaps more of a match winner than Scholes with his goalscoring and driving runs but Scholes was a master at dictating a game. Not many have ever or will ever be as good as Scholes at that.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
When you don't play with both Fernando and Fernandinho I agree, but when they're both present he's involved far further up the pitch.

I think he'll stay further up the pitch as he ages, and act as almost a second shadowing striker. He doesn't have the stamina or defensive nous to play deeper once his legs go, but he'll always posses immense tetechnical ability and strength.
I can't recall all three midfielders ever starting together. If they have done, it's only occurred once or twice.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
More talented than Keane & Vieira? Not a chance.
Definitely has more football ability than the two of them, absolutely no doubt. When you factor in mental attributes I can see why you would take the other two but footballing ability he is comfortaby the bets of the three.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Definitely has more football ability than the two of them, absolutely no doubt. When you factor in mental attributes I can see why you would take the other two but footballing ability he is comfortaby the bets of the three.
Natural ability - yeah, id agree with that. But go down in history as "best" players - I'd take Keane & Vieira every day of the week!

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I was at the City v mackem scum game and thought Toure looked like an old man....weird player who for huge parts of the game doesn't look like he can walk never mind run....but then he bursts into life and switches on the magic....he then falls over and takes 10 minutes to get up. Repeat.

Ady87

Yaya looks like he is out of breath even in the starting line ups but his stamina is brilliant. 90 mins in 16 of the 19 games he has featured in the league. 7 goals.

His touch and range of passing is excellent. He can play 70 minutes very deep and then be moved right up top off the striker and just turn it on at will, usually pops up with an important goal then as well.

Easily one of the best midfielders the PL has seen. I won't make comparisons.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
One of Yaya's main assets is how he's much better and cuter at using his size than many give him credit for.

Compare him to Fellaini, a man of similar stature (admittedly technically deficient) for example, he has given away less fouls despite having played almost twice as many minutes (evidence here). He uses his physique and natural strength to shield the ball and win challenges just as Fellaini does but there is no elbow in the face style or reliance on the dirty arts.

Attacking wise, that size means players are intimidated to tackle him too. He conserves his energy into bursts and when he decides to carry the ball, there are few players willing to even engage against him properly, therefore he is often, within reason, allowed to carry the ball into pockets of space while defenders readjust their positioning around him to use zonal play to divert his dribbles. The huge technical advantage he has over Fellaini means this would be unfair to draw comparisons against our man in this aspect but it's a clear indicator of how he uses his size to his advantage in a positive phase. Throw in the passing range, shot precision and ball control schooled at Barca and co in his previous clubs, it's a no brainer as to why he stands out as a colossus of a midfielder.

Jagga7

Yaya is brilliant! Him and Silva have to be the best midfielders in the EPL and they both play for City :(.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
One of Yaya's main assets is how he's much better and cuter at using his size than many give him credit for.

Compare him to Fellaini, a man of similar stature (admittedly technically deficient) for example, he has given away less fouls despite having played almost twice as many minutes (evidence here). He uses his physique and natural strength to shield the ball and win challenges just as Fellaini does but there is no elbow in the face style or reliance on the dirty arts.

Attacking wise, that size means players are intimidated to tackle him too. He conserves his energy into bursts and when he decides to carry the ball, there are few players willing to even engage against him properly, therefore he is often, within reason, allowed to carry the ball into pockets of space while defenders readjust their positioning around him to use zonal play to divert his dribbles. The huge technical advantage he has over Fellaini means this would be unfair to draw comparisons against our man in this aspect but it's a clear indicator of how he uses his size to his advantage in a positive phase. Throw in the passing range, shot precision and ball control schooled at Barca and co in his previous clubs, it's a no brainer as to why he stands out as a colossus of a midfielder.
I completely agree - You see it time and again with players backing off Toure in dangerous positions, it's one of the reasons he's able to score spectacular goals regularly (that, combined with his talent).

Yaya keeps things ticking between defence and attack (while picking his moments to join the attack), and Silva keeps things ticking in the opposition half - when both play, City generally control the game. It's going to be a tough ask to see out Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea without Yaya.

thepolice123

Can't wait when he fecks off to the African cup. Thought City would struggle with Aguero out but Toure and Silva has been carrying them.

Ekeke

His passing has been on another level this season. Not the goals, and maybe less running with the ball but he makes more passes than Cesc Fabregas. Not the same creativity mind you, although still some spectacular ones.