Yerry Mina - Everton Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind

Can't really comment other than a few matches at the World Cup where Davinson Sanchez seemed to be doing most of the heavy lifting, but we need to sign a guaranteed starter at centre back. Mina doesn't appear to be that.

Ekeke

I presume the negative posts about Barcelona are mostly about this game?

Barcelona lost 5-4 with Mina and Vermaelen starting at CB

I think it does show that hes not very fast, but how many 6 foot 3-4 CBs have the pace to keep up with speedy smaller attackers?

Smalling is one of very few.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So its between Harry, Yerry and Toby?

dove

No one wants him which means he would probably be good for us :lol:

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Can't really comment other than a few matches at the World Cup where Davinson Sanchez seemed to be doing most of the heavy lifting, but we need to sign a guaranteed starter at centre back. Mina doesn't appear to be that.
He was the better of the 2 in my opinion, thought Sanchez looked no where near the player he was last year with Spurs

Rory 7

I won’t be able to take a player called Yerry seriously. It hurts my brain, every time I read it I want to call him Gerry instead.

Alfie092

If you guys had 2 choices, either sign Mina or no CB signings at all, what would you guys choose?

crossy1686

career ending
If you guys had 2 choices, either sign Mina or no CB signings at all, what would you guys choose?
None, none at all. If we sign this guy I'm going to have a meltdown, I don't know about anyone else.

It's the equivalent of signing that Turkish nob Alpay back in 2003.

0le

So its between Harry, Yerry and Toby?
All we need now is to be linked with a Gary and we have the perfect sequel for a script for Only Fools and Horses.

Last edited:

VanGaalyTime

The problem with Mina is that he is exceptionally slow. It has shown in La Liga, which is played at about 30% of the pace of most PL games. He'd be slaughtered for pace. If he can somehow improve that, and his turning radius, then he'd actually be a decent signing. But I've never seen a player improve their speed over time.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
None, none at all. If we sign this guy I'm going to have a meltdown, I don't know about anyone else.

It's the equivalent of signing that Turkish nob Alpay back in 2003.
I don't know what I would answer, but why would you say No?

crossy1686

career ending
Are people writing him off because he didnt immediately become a world beater at age 23 at a club like Barcelona?
Nope, it's because he's shocking defender who's main priority is to crop people who are too quick for him, so that's basically everyone. We all saw him at the World Cup, he was poor and could have been sent off a number of times. It's safe to presume that if he's not good enough for Barcelona, he isn't good enough for us, and lets not forget they've got an ageing defence which is their weakest part of the team.

Ekeke

The problem with Mina is that he is exceptionally slow. It has shown in La Liga, which is played at about 30% of the pace of most PL games. He'd be slaughtered for pace. If he can somehow improve that, and his turning radius, then he'd actually be a decent signing. But I've never seen a player improve their speed over time.
Maguire and Alderweireld arent fast either so its not like speed is something we're getting regardless of which CB we go for.

tomaldinho1

I'd bet 99% of us never knew him until the WC. No idea if he's good in general or not but very good aerially (purely from watching his salmon like leaps in the WC).

Personally think save the money and put it towards a RW

Ekeke

Nope, it's because he's shocking defender who's main priority is to crop people who are too quick for him, so that's basically everyone. We all saw him at the World Cup, he was poor and could have been sent off a number of times. It's safe to presume that if he's not good enough for Barcelona, he isn't good enough for us, and lets not forget they've got an ageing defence which is their weakest part of the team.
So he's Ramos?

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
He was competing with Pique and Umtiti, not as if they are dreadful lol

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not entitled to an opinion?

I don't know what I would answer, but why would you say No?
I don't see what he would offer apart from red cards and poor defending. If we're looking for a battler in defence, we can sign one without the need of sacrificing every other aspect of defending. We've already got Rojo who's as rash as it gets, I don't see what adding Mina to the squad would do apart from cost us injuries in training.

So he's Ramos?
Not quite comparable to someone who's won every trophy going but I see your point.

He was competing with Pique and Umtiti, not as if they are dreadful lol
And they play every minute, of every game, all season? He couldn't even force his way into the team. Barcelona would love us to take him off their hands for the prices being thrown around. They know he's not good enough.

fallengt

He's not a ball playing CB, nor an upgrade over our CBs, Barca is very happy to sell him. Unless we're selling 1-2 CB, no point buying.

Dont be fooled by his performance in one tournament. Blind, Darmian, Rojo had "good WC",now we're offloading them. And he didn't even have good WC, people remember him for his 3 goals, defensively he wasn't anything special

Last edited:

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster

I don't see what he would offer apart from red cards and poor defending. If we're looking for a battler in defence, we can sign one without the need of sacrificing every other aspect of defending. We've already got Rojo who's as rash as it gets, I don't see what adding Mina to the squad would do apart from cost us injuries in training.

Not quite comparable to someone who's won every trophy going but I see your point.

And they play every minute, of every game, all season? He couldn't even force his way into the team. Barcelona would love us to take him off their hands for the prices being thrown around. They know he's not good enough.
So far in his career he has an average of yellow card every 5.21 games. 1 red card in 125 or so appearances, not exactly a hatchet man by the looks of it.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
He was the better of the 2 in my opinion, thought Sanchez looked no where near the player he was last year with Spurs
I came here to post the same thing - I thought Mina looked a bit better than Sanchez in the World Cup, and I mean at actual defending (nothing to do with his additional ability from set pieces). Considering how well Sanchez has done at Spurs it should also bode well for Mina.

Having said that, I've no idea why United would need him. I'm not quite sure why they need any more CBs tbh (unless both Rojo and Jones would be shipped).

Enigma_87

You know who
He's not a ball playing CB, nor an upgrade over our CBs, Barca is very happy to sell him. Unless we're selling 1-2 CB, no point buying.

Dont be fooled by his performance in one tournament. Blind, Darmian, Rojo had "good WC",now we're offloading them. And he didn't even have good WC, people remember him for his 3 goals, defensively he wasn't anything special
This, basically.

If we offload Jones and sign him for the same price I can agree to that, but just to make up numbers on the bench is pretty useless signing.

Rory 7

If he can stay fit for a full campaign then he’s already an upgrade on what we have. I honestly think stability at CB has been a huge issue for us for years.

Alfie092

I haven't seen enough of him to judge him on his pace. But yeah it's true, pace you cannot improve on dramatically. A few percent at best.

If he is good positionally & is actually a good defender and Mourinho approves this signing, then I wouldn't mind him and take the gamble but as long as we get rid of either Rojo/Smalling/Jones.

Charles Miller

Some players are not suited to Barca style. It doesn't mean they are not good players in general.

davidmichael

I’d rather go into the season without a new centre back signing than sign Mina, the fact that Barca want to sell him after 6 months should tell everyone everything they need to know.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have not seen enough of Mina to comment on him as a player. The World Cup is the only evidence I have to base my opinion on.

However, I've heard the Catalan paper Sport are saying he'd cost €40 million. Given that seems to be about the limit our board is willing to play for a defender you can see this happening.

Kapardin

Apart from scoring a few useful goals now and then (which Smalling does for us anyway), can this guy defend well? Why are Barca willing to let him leave so soon?

If he is not that good, it just means we are stockpiling average defenders like collecting Hotwheels cars.

yamo123x

He was a thug in the wc, could have been sent off in 2 of games i watched. Please no. Rather see lindelof have a good run

Ekeke

I’d rather go into the season without a new centre back signing than sign Mina, the fact that Barca want to sell him after 6 months should tell everyone everything they need to know.
They want to sell him... for 3 times what they paid for him

Hans Moleman

There are literally zero valid links to us, so I don't even know why it's being discussed

Plus, a tier 1 Barca source said no offer

Status
Not open for further replies.