Yet another mass shooting and at a church, again

Nogbadthebad

I'll criticize prayer.

You have over 2000 years of fecking history to learn its bullshit that won;t stop anything. Its 2017, stop pandering to mythos.

From the 1st crusade with perter the hermit (who killed entire towns and then ate them) to 60 million dead in world war 2 and the 15,000 Americans killed every year by guns, prayer has done feck all for anyone. Ever.

Your god either doesn't exist or is a sadomasochistic bastard who could stop innocents being slaughtered but sits and watches. Either way, its not someone to turn to when you need help. And certainly won't stop the gun violence in America.

Trump even overturned Obama's very minor attempt to curb the deaths, and all that did was mean people with mental illness had some restrictions on what guns they could buy.

And why does all this happen? Money. Straight up bribery from the NRA. Trump calls himself a christian, doesn't burst into flames. You god gives no shit about you.

Dave89

not sure what that is. but no respect is due something that is inherently absurd
Do you honestly not see a difference between "People are dead because of inaction, but don't just pray, fix it", and "People are dead but hurr durr god don't real!"

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Do you honestly not see a difference between "People are dead because of inaction, but don't just pray, fix it", and "People are dead but hurr durr god don't real!"
do you honestly not see a difference between hurr durr whatever and my posts? hes asking for us to respect prayer. theres no good reason to do so. its counterproductive in these debates.

Nogbadthebad

When the only response to these kinds of things, 307 mass shootings this year alone, is prayer, because that is all the nation does, pray, then its time to talk about the fact its the same as doing nothing. Because it is.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
When the only response to these kinds of things, 307 mass shootings this year alone, is prayer, because that is all the nation does, pray, then its time to talk about the fact its the same as doing nothing. Because it is.
It's really not doing nothing, but if the legislators were sincere they would also use their power to make changes to the law.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm think we should try interpretive dance next.

Jericholyte2

@SparkedIntoLife This has never been about criticising prayer, it is critiquing those in power limiting their intervention to prayer. Lawmakers have the power to cross divisions and actually bring about positive change, yet all they repeatedly do is offer thoughts and prayers, all the while receiving contributions from agencies vested in delaying this change as much as possible.

I mean for crying out loud over 600 children under 11yrs old injured or killed...HOW CAN THIS BE ACCEPTABLE?

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
A lot of the electorate are sick & tired of hearing the same crap from elected officials after each & every mass shooting event. They're put into power to pass laws and govern the country, not to offer prayers. We have clergy for the prayers and politicians for laws. Frustrated.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The Cafe Triple Jump:

First step: Acknowledgement of tragedy
Second step: Perfunctory expression of sorrow
Big Leap: Outrage, Blame, Vilification, Trump, GOP .......
You don't think the GOP have any role to play in these continuing incidents?

Dave89

It reveals a disturbing mindset if the response to a mass shooting is not "let's discuss ways to avoid a repeat" (which I have acknowledged will take a lot more than prayer alone, and it's disgusting to see whose who could fix it, but don't, hide behind prayer), but rather "let's prophecise about atheism"

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The Cafe Triple Jump:

First step: Acknowledgement of tragedy
Second step: Perfunctory expression of sorrow
Big Leap: Outrage, Blame, Vilification, Trump, GOP .......
Quite fair for people to discuss the external reasons in American culture which allow incidents like this to occur.

Nogbadthebad

It reveals a disturbing mindset if the response to a mass shooting is not "let's discuss ways to avoid a repeat" (which I have acknowledged will take a lot more than prayer alone, and it's disgusting to see whose who could fix it, but don't, hide behind prayer), but rather "let's prophecise about atheism"
A 'disturbing mindset' , lovely.

You take prayer seriously, you allow people to say 'thoughts and prayers' as if it were something meaningful. You want to pray, knock yourself out. But when all that anyone does is pray, don't be shocked about the next mass shooting.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'll criticize prayer.

You have over 2000 years of fecking history to learn its bullshit that won;t stop anything. Its 2017, stop pandering to mythos.

From the 1st crusade with perter the hermit (who killed entire towns and then ate them) to 60 million dead in world war 2 and the 15,000 Americans killed every year by guns, prayer has done feck all for anyone. Ever.

Your god either doesn't exist or is a sadomasochistic bastard who could stop innocents being slaughtered but sits and watches. Either way, its not someone to turn to when you need help. And certainly won't stop the gun violence in America.

Trump even overturned Obama's very minor attempt to curb the deaths, and all that did was mean people with mental illness had some restrictions on what guns they could buy.

And why does all this happen? Money. Straight up bribery from the NRA. Trump calls himself a christian, doesn't burst into flames. You god gives no shit about you.
Take your beef to the relevant thread.

vidic blood & sand

I'll criticize prayer.

It's one of Job's comforters.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Exactly.

The problem with prayer being taken seriously is that is allows people to think if they pray they are actually making a difference, and then nothing else needs to happen.
That's really not what we think at all, unless we're a nun or brother living in a cloistered order who devote their whole lives to praying for others. For ordinary people of faith, good works and prayer go hand-in-hand.

Dave89

A 'disturbing mindset' , lovely.

You take prayer seriously, you allow people to say 'thoughts and prayers' as if it were something meaningful. You want to pray, knock yourself out. But when all that anyone does is pray, don't be shocked about the next mass shooting.
Read my posts you muppet.

I don't know if you're wilfully missing the point, but he's referring to the idea of people giving "thoughts and prayers" while opposing any actual meaningful reform, which time and time again allows repeat after repeat of this shit.

God helps them who help themselves
, no?
I'm a Christian too, so who the hell are you to take that tone with me? People aren't criticising prayer, they're criticising the right wing liberal notion that prayer alone, coupled with actively blocking any attempt to fix things, will do any good. It's like praying to god to catch you as you jump off a building. Like the aftermath of Sandy Hook? Or is it too soon to mention that?

Take your head out of your ass for one fecking minute and learn to infer context.
In isolation, no. But the false prayers of those who actively oppose a real solution are fair game.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rip. Ban guns.

That's really all I have to say, feck the rest.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I’m not getting into that on this thread.

Innocent people being murdered isn’t good full stop.

It’s the disparaging remarks about prayer that offend me. Just needless, given that Christians were the ones killed. Can’t believe many of you are so politically/atheistically fired up that you’re missing the blatant, gross insensitivity of that.
The remarks about prayer were not disparaging. (A few are, but they've come in response to your misunderstanding and double down)

Take your hand off it. You're wrong.

Will Absolute

You don't think the GOP have any role to play in these continuing incidents?
The issue of gun control has been discussed to death on the Cafe. In the wake of a horror like this, people might at least let the blood dry on the bodies before using the tragedy as a soapbox on which to air the same old arguments.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The issue of gun control has been discussed to death on the Cafe. In the wake of a horror like this, people might at least let the blood dry on the bodies before using the tragedy as a soapbox on which to air the same old arguments.
You could also wait a bit before trotting out your usual complaints about how liberal the Caf is.

Dave89

do you honestly not see a difference between hurr durr whatever and my posts? hes asking for us to respect prayer. theres no good reason to do so. its counterproductive in these debates.
Not really. I don't see a call for positive action here, or anything productive:
why do i need to show respect for a mass delusion of people asking things of their imaginary friend

ManUtd1999

Law and order... as time goes by, we are having less of both. Just in the last month or so: the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, a terror attack in the nation's largest city, a mass shooting in Texas, former campaign officials indicted, etc.

What on earth is going on?!

Dave89

Ok, it's too soon to discuss this one. Can we discuss the Vegas killer? Sandy Hook?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
He clearly said it's too early to politicise an event like this. It was his first post in the thread.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Those damn same old arguments.

If the problems weren't the same over and over and over again then maybe the arguments would be different but as it is it's the same shit all over again and nothing will be done.
When is the right time to start talking? Tomorrow lunchtime? Maybe just before tea?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Ok, it's too soon to discuss this one. Can we discuss the Vegas killer? Sandy Hook?
No, gotta wait until the US went at least a year without a mass shooting. Anything else would be disrespectful and lack empathy.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
When is the right time to start talking? Tomorrow lunchtime? Maybe just before tea?
If it's a Muslim then instantly, if it's a white guy then I think the correct response is not about gun control but mental health care and we can talk about it for about 5 minutes after the weather and before the adverts.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If it's a Muslim then instantly, if it's a white guy then I think the correct response is not about gun control but mental health care and we can talk about it for about 5 minutes after the weather and before the adverts.
It doesn't matter what they look like or which god they pray to. The common denominator is their weapons. America needs to swallow its pride and get over this outdated notion that they have a right to bear arms.