Young to get 1 year extension

iHicksy

I agree to some extent on this, but reading it made me Wonder. Whats your thought on Bailly as a CB? They have simular flaws
They do for sure. Bailly reminds me of Jones to a certain extent in that he rushes out of position to close down a little too often and likes to leave space between the lines that we can often be exposed on. If Bailly can be taught to be more level headed and improve his defensive discipline then he'll be one hell of a defender. He can really shine right now when we play a high line as his speed and strength can counter any positional weakness. What's more, with a high line you don't need to be so positionally switched on because you're relying on a footrace with any balls over the top. Where he struggles is on the counter when he's closer to our box. My hope is that he can mature as a defender and be taught to just calm down, he seems to go from 0 to 100 at times and you know, like Jones that he's got a mistake in him.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He deserves it. Been a great servant for us especially in the last few years when he transitioned to full back. Would keep him over Valencia and Darmian any day.

ROFLUTION

1 year makes good sense. Aging, but still performing. Almost all of our crossing comes from him.

Good to have these players for safety and while young players try to develop.

settembrini

He is clearly declining but a 1 year deal is reasonable considering Valencia and Darmian will hopefully be leaving in the summer.

I'm assuming though that the plan is for him to be a squad player next season. Either Dalot steps up to first choice or we buy a new right back. If we are extending Young's contract and expecting him to carry on starting most weeks then it's a mistake but hopefully that won't be the case.

Suvvernmanc

I think this shows that the club has 100% faith in Dalot. Giving Young an extension is the right thing to do to give Dalot 1 more year to work for the number 1 RB spot.

RedDevil@84

Guess we cant put all of them out. And yes, it is a good thing for Dalot. He has to compete for spot with a 34 year old guy. He will fancy his chances

Shark

@NotShark
We’ve really got to be more ruthless as a club. A contract extension to reward him for a good period, but what about the future? He could literally fall off a cliff at any minute and has recently been struggling. Even as a back up it makes no sense since we have a talented 20 year old to do that until he’s actually ready.

Shark

@NotShark
As long as he's not first choice next season then it's not too problematic, if he is first choice then we'll have issues, he's already struggling currently. Either way I think a one year contract makes sense, we've been easing Dalot in this season but I'd be willing to bet that he'll be first choice next season, with Young serving as back up.
He will be first choice next season unless Dalot steps up, which isn’t guaranteed yet. So we’re essentially in the same hole next season as we currently are.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He will be first choice next season unless Dalot steps up, which isn’t guaranteed yet. So we’re essentially in the same hole next season as we currently are.
I don't think he will be, he was first choice LB last season then we gave Shaw the chance to step up, I think we'll do the same with Dalot next season.

Flytan

Not sure why there's so much hate for him. He does a serviceable job unlike Valencia and players like McTominay.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't think he will be, he was first choice LB last season then we gave Shaw the chance to step up, I think we'll do the same with Dalot next season.
Dolot isn’t Luke Shaw though, who was already established at Southampton before a 30m move here. It’s not the same situation, Dalot may still need one or two more seasons yet.

FerociousCorgis

Any truths to the improved terms aspect of it that i thought i read somewhere? That would be the part i wouldnt get. Understand the idea of him being the cover for dalot/shaw, but the improved terms would make no sense considering his obvious diminished ability.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Dolot isn’t Luke Shaw though, who was already established at Southampton before a 30m move here. It’s not the same situation, Dalot may still need one or two more seasons yet.
You're right, it isn't the same situation, I just find it hard to believe that we'd continue with a 34 year old Ashley Young as first choice after taking this season to slowly bed in Dalot (admittedly slower than I'd have liked), if that were the case then I'd have serious questions about our ambitions for next year.

Shark

@NotShark
Not sure why there's so much hate for him. He does a serviceable job unlike Valencia and players like McTominay.
There’s no hate, only fear that we’ll be in the exact same situation next season as now. Young obviously isn’t a first choice Manchester United RB, he does a job. Expecting Dalot to step up when he’s not ready yet could be a horrible mistake.

Andersonson

They do for sure. Bailly reminds me of Jones to a certain extent in that he rushes out of position to close down a little too often and likes to leave space between the lines that we can often be exposed on. If Bailly can be taught to be more level headed and improve his defensive discipline then he'll be one hell of a defender. He can really shine right now when we play a high line as his speed and strength can counter any positional weakness. What's more, with a high line you don't need to be so positionally switched on because you're relying on a footrace with any balls over the top. Where he struggles is on the counter when he's closer to our box. My hope is that he can mature as a defender and be taught to just calm down, he seems to go from 0 to 100 at times and you know, like Jones that he's got a mistake in him.
Agreed!

RedDevil@84

You're right, it isn't the same situation, I just find it hard to believe that we'd continue with a 34 year old Ashley Young as first choice after taking this season to slowly bed in Dalot (admittedly slower than I'd have liked), if that were the case then I'd have serious questions about our ambitions for next year.
- If we sign a young RB (great quality or not), we are looking at a 5 year contract or so. So what happens to the Dalot project?
- If we sign a not so young top RB, we are still looking at a 3 yr contract. So is 3 seasons is what we are looking at for Dalot to step up?
- If we sign a not so top not so young RB, then we can look at contracts of 1 yr or so. Which means we think Dalot will step up by that time.

I am guessing what we did was the 3rd point.

Ideally, I would like a top RB and get rid of Young, but then we need to make a decision on Dalot.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A more important renewal than Martial in the short term.

Some will be appalled to hear that. Some will think I am trolling. I do believe that to be true though. Martial will continue to be rotated up top, but Young will be one of the first names on the teamsheet at right or left back.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
The guy's a leader and constantly gives us all he has and is a fighter on the pitch. Some people just want to change 6 to 7 members of the squad each year.

Fosu-Mens

1 year contract means we will only sign 1 fullback this summer. Young will hopefully be a backup/rotational player since he is able to play on both sides and got experience.

fellaini's barber

Should have let him go about 2 seasons ago, we'll just keep them till they spend 2 seasons on the bench. Fully expect us to renew the likes of Jones too

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We’ve really got to be more ruthless as a club. A contract extension to reward him for a good period, but what about the future? He could literally fall off a cliff at any minute and has recently been struggling. Even as a back up it makes no sense since we have a talented 20 year old to do that until he’s actually ready.
It's a one extension right?

Minimalist

Starting to think those people who believe hard work > talent are on to something...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
1 yr extension is good for both party. One of the few British players at the team, and plays fairly well.

Andersons Dietician

Don’t particularly have any issue with this, I do think we need a better RB but either Dalot needs to step up or we buy someone in and I think right now I’d rather give Dalot some time.

JMack1234

My beef is that he isn't very good. He's 33 years old. He can still beat a man but his crosses are inevitably poor and I don't why we're not trying to get someone like Wan-Bissaka in to compete with Dalot for the RB slot.

wolvored

Start with Dalot or a new RB and keep Young as backup for the LB/RB positions. FFS make this is last contract. Im just hoping Jones doesnt get offered a new one then we are screwed.

Eric7C

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but why don't we use Young as an option on the right wing and have Dalot play as RB behind him? Tell Young to keep wide and cross balls in. Solves two problems at one go.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
My beef is that he isn't very good. He's 33 years old. He can still beat a man but his crosses are inevitably poor and I don't why we're not trying to get someone like Wan-Bissaka in to compete with Dalot for the RB slot.
We might be, we would still then need someone to cover for Shaw at left back.

If we got rid of Young like some people on here would want, we are left with Shaw who has now had half a good season in 4 years, and a kid who has not even played 20 senior games in his career. Any new signing cannot be guaranteed to hit the ground running.

Good to keep Young, and aim to get a RB in his prime to compete with Dalot and use Young as back up to Shaw. Makes perfect sense.

MrSingh2002

Clearly deserves it. I'm hoping Dalot is Premier League ready for next season to make right back his own. He needs to work on his physical shape and defensively yet as far as I can see before he clamps his place in the starting lineup.

Good cover for Shaw at left back aswell. This signing doesn't mean we won't sign another fullback either with potentially Valencia and Darmian leaving at the end of the season.

Shaw
Dalot
Young
Plus One

RMD83

I would be all for keeping young hands down. He is decent and versatile and in my opinion quite underrated. I would hope to see him used more sparingly though and by the end of next season he should no longer be needed as we should have got better options together going forward.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As long as he doesn't start much next season I don't have much of an issue however if this is guaranteeing him a starting birth then feck it

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he's past his best but I can understand resigning him.
We need at least one fullback in the summer but if that signing doesn't hit the ground running we can fall back on young. Dependable back up likely on low wages who won't kick up a fuss if he ends up getting limited matches next season.