Your England Squad for Euro 2020

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Feel Southgate will still opt for Chillwell over Shaw for the LB position.

saivet

Surprised Maddison didn't make the 33, I'd certainly have had a look at him over the next week if I was Southgate
Maddison isn't even close to be honest. He's not been that good for Leicester and there is adequate depth I think. If you think of players who can play as a 10, there is Mount, Foden and Grealish already. Maddison doesn't play wide and probably is not seen as suitable to play deeper in midfield.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Kalvin phillips and ward-prowse. Ouch. Not really going to worry the big boys with those players. At least he finally did the right thing and dumped dier.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
What I would like
...........................................Henderson............................................
Walker................Stones..............................Maguire..............Shaw
................................................Rice..................................................
..........................Mount.................................Foden.........................
............Sancho.......................Kane........................Rashford..........

What I expect from southgate

.........................................Pickford............................................
..............Walker................Maguire.............Stones....................
Trent.................Rice......................Henderson.............Chilwell
...................Mount........................................Foden...................
.........................................Kane..................................................

TheGame

Something seriously wrong with our midfield if we're considering taking Ward-Prowse. Happens every tournament, all the mid table fans clamour for their average players to be taken to a tournament and we end up with squads filled with Matty Upsons and Emile Heskeys.

#NoToMingsAndConnorCoady
JWP is different to Mings and Coady. Deserves a place in the squad.

TheGame

What I would like
...........................................Henderson............................................
Walker................Stones..............................Maguire..............Shaw
................................................Rice..................................................
..........................Mount.................................Foden.........................
............Sancho.......................Kane........................Rashford..........

.........................................Pickford............................................
..............Walker................Maguire.............Stones....................
...................Mount........................................Foden...................
.........................................Kane..................................................
I hope he doesn't go 3 at the back. Its not our best formation.

croadyman

I wasn't in the least bit surprised about AWB or Bamford not getting picked because honestly think if they were in Gareth's plans then would have seen them either last autumn or back in March. Ings is probably a little unlucky because he was given a chance as was Watkins and fortunately Olly scored and that could just have swung it in his favour. I find it tricky to comment on people like Tomori as watch very little Serie A but looked a talent from the little bit I have seen at Chelsea. Dunk seems to have a real presence in defence and at set pieces but there is obviously something that just doesn't convince Gareth for some reason.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What I would like

Rashford doesn’t deserve to start

Remember the geese

I'd be leaving behind:

Ramsdale, James, Mings, Godfrey, Ward-Prowse, Lingard and Saka.

No chance Gareth will agree with me, but it's a very debatable call.

432JuanMata

Said it in another thread but if this England side doesn’t do well it’s on Southgate. 4of our back 5 are English with Rashford, Greenwood aswell. We are being linked with Rice,Grealish,Kane and Rice if people think they will take United back to the top then England should be challenging for this Euros nothing more nothing less.

I have said a WC SF was great but the performances were so poor 2 loses to Belgium scraping by Columbia and Tunisia and getting KO by Croatia. This England squad is only behind France IMO and they need to show it and if they don’t it’s all Southgate fault because there is so much talent there

Abraxas

Not a huge fan of this 33 man squad business and moaning about the difficulties England face. What's that all about? The problems he refers to are self-evident, he doesn't have to voice them and draw more attention to it. Of what possible benefit can that be except to create a potential excuse for himself and the players?

Should have simply picked a squad of his favoured players and if anybody gets injured or is unfit for whatever reason, simply call up the standbys.

I'm not a big fan of Southgate. His decision making, his choices, the style of play, I am yet to be convinced. I think he could be a real problem, but I hope he is not. There is enough talent there to have a real go at this tournament and if they fall short then so be it, but it would be frustrating if that comes about through Southgate's frailties. It's all a bit limp and unencouraging, I'm not even sure he fancies it.

pickingupinthemorningpal

Said it in another thread but if this England side doesn’t do well it’s on Southgate. 4of our back 5 are English with Rashford, Greenwood aswell. We are being linked with Rice,Grealish,Kane and Rice if people think they will take United back to the top then England should be challenging for this Euros nothing more nothing less.

I have said a WC SF was great but the performances were so poor 2 loses to Belgium scraping by Columbia and Tunisia and getting KO by Croatia. This England squad is only behind France IMO and they need to show it and if they don’t it’s all Southgate fault because there is so much talent there
Agree with this. One thing I've noticed is that England have possibly the best bunch of attacking players at the tournament, including some very entertaining footballers to watch. It would be a shame if we don't see a team with Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Rashford, Trent, Shaw, and Kane playing attacking football with a bit of flair and arrogance. If we instead see a back five when these sorts of players are in the squad I'd be very disappointed in Southgate. Football would weep.

432JuanMata

Agree with this. One thing I've noticed is that England have possibly the best bunch of attacking players at the tournament, including some very entertaining footballers to watch. It would be a shame if we don't see a team with Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Rashford, Trent, Shaw, and Kane playing attacking football with a bit of flair and arrogance. If we instead see a back five when these sorts of players are in the squad I'd be very disappointed in Southgate. Football would weep.
I said after the WC that I thought England were poor and got slaughtered especially since I was Irish people thought I was just hating on England . Yes it was progress as a SF but the football was poor.
You’re spot on this England side has so much attacking threat and all the players are talented so Southgate should let them play, he has the likes of Rice doing the defensive work and against average sides you will just overpower them.

TheLiverBird

This seasons 2nd highest English scoring attacker in Bamford must be thinking what has a guy got to do

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Dearth of depth at CB.

If I was Southgate I’d think about playing a loose 3 at the back with either Walker as RCB or Shaw at LCB and using wingbacks for width.
Agreed. Put Rice at DM too and then you have a flexible quartet of two CMs and two forwards. But please no double pivot and a back 3.

Havak

Pokemon master
Was thinking about this squad at the weekend and more-so today. The 33-man squad doesn't change my thoughts much on what I'd think/expect the 26 would be. I'm glad Southgate has made the call on players like Eric Dier at last, it shows evolution on his part.

This is the squad I expect and is pretty much what I would pick also:

GK: Henderson, Johnstone, Pickford

DF: Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Maguire, Mings, Shaw, Stones, Trippier, Walker, White

MF
: Bellingham, Foden, Grealish, Henderson, Mount, Phillips, Rice, Ward-Prowse

FW: Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood, Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling

Maybe harsh on Coady, but I have not been impressed with Wolves in general this season and think he has dipped slightly from what I've seen. I don't expect the '4th choice' CB to get on the pitch anyway. If Maguire gets injured again, Mings will play because he is the only one with similar aerial ability. Walker will play if we use the back three.

Lots of people like James, but I don't think there's much use for him in the squad right now. Trippier makes more sense as a utility full back who can provide quality set pieces of needed.

This would be the reason I'd take Ward-Prowse also. Whoever that midfielder is, they're automatically behind Rice, Henderson and Phillips anyway. They probably won't play, but to get in the squad you need to have something else. Set pieces can make a massive difference, so I'd throw Ward-Prowse in the mix.

Regardless of however people rate the ability / quality of the following players, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even get on the pitch in the whole tournament if there aren't injuries or suspensions:

White, Trippier, Bellingham, Ward-Prowse, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood (or whoever is taken instead). That's six players, along with two goalkeepers is eight. I'd wager the other 18 players will play all the minutes between them - even if we had the luxury of resting players for the final group game.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I'd be leaving behind:

Ramsdale, James, Mings, Godfrey, Ward-Prowse, Lingard and Saka.

No chance Gareth will agree with me, but it's a very debatable call.
Gareth loves James. It’s him and walker going and between Trent and Trippier for the last spot I reckon.

Abraxas

I reckon the idea with James is having a player that can play wing back and potentially right of a back 3 as I honestly think Southgate will try to be clever with messing around with setups. By having him and Walker you have the mobility and flexibility between them to do that. Whereas Trippier is always going to be played at full back or wing back. It's only really set pieces which is a clear standout in his favour and TAA is pretty competent with them so in my view it's really Trippier that is the odd man out.

I think they'll introduce TAA in some fixtures, or for creativity off the bench. Southgate will err on the side of caution as that is his inclination.

He also has Shaw who can operate on the left of a back 3 too, so Stones can come out to the right if they want to play James/Walker at wing back. I think with the options he's going to have we are going to see back 3s a fair amount, for good or bad.

Remember the geese

Gareth loves James. It’s him and walker going and between Trent and Trippier for the last spot I reckon.
I'm a fan of James too. I could just imagine him being quite vulnerable if it is a straight fight between him and Trent. However, you could well be right about it being Trippier battling with Trent instead.

Abraxas

Do people really think Mason will go? I'm not really sure Gareth has any trust in him
I think he makes a lot of sense as a bench player, an impact sub. Not sure what Southgate is thinking but I couldn't imagine myself not taking a player you can chuck on across the front and can bag a goal from not much at all. Throwing on DCL and lumping in crosses in desperate search of a goal is probably the way they'll go but Greenwood would make sense for something different.

mancan92

I think he makes a lot of sense as a bench player, an impact sub. Not sure what Southgate is thinking but I couldn't imagine myself not taking a player you can chuck on across the front and can bag a goal from not much at all. Throwing on DCL and lumping in crosses in desperate search of a goal is probably the way they'll go but Greenwood would make sense for something different.
I agree 100% I just don't know if it's realistic that Gareth also believes that.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The players selected in the provisional squad from Chelsea and Man City are 100% in the actual 26 man squad (unless they get injured) which will be announced next week. He's giving 5 days off between the Champions League final and them joining the England camp so there's no way they would be selected for a provisional squad if they aren't even going to train once with England.

croadyman

Was thinking about this squad at the weekend and more-so today. The 33-man squad doesn't change my thoughts much on what I'd think/expect the 26 would be. I'm glad Southgate has made the call on players like Eric Dier at last, it shows evolution on his part.

This is the squad I expect and is pretty much what I would pick also:

GK: Henderson, Johnstone, Pickford

DF: Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Maguire, Mings, Shaw, Stones, Trippier, Walker, White

MF: Bellingham, Foden, Grealish, Henderson, Mount, Phillips, Rice, Ward-Prowse

FW: Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood, Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling

Maybe harsh on Coady, but I have not been impressed with Wolves in general this season and think he has dipped slightly from what I've seen. I don't expect the '4th choice' CB to get on the pitch anyway. If Maguire gets injured again, Mings will play because he is the only one with similar aerial ability. Walker will play if we use the back three.

Lots of people like James, but I don't think there's much use for him in the squad right now. Trippier makes more sense as a utility full back who can provide quality set pieces of needed.

This would be the reason I'd take Ward-Prowse also. Whoever that midfielder is, they're automatically behind Rice, Henderson and Phillips anyway. They probably won't play, but to get in the squad you need to have something else. Set pieces can make a massive difference, so I'd throw Ward-Prowse in the mix.

Regardless of however people rate the ability / quality of the following players, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even get on the pitch in the whole tournament if there aren't injuries or suspensions:

White, Trippier, Bellingham, Ward-Prowse, Calvert-Lewin, Greenwood (or whoever is taken instead). That's six players, along with two goalkeepers is eight. I'd wager the other 18 players will play all the minutes between them - even if we had the luxury of resting players for the final group game.
Would agree with that squad apart from Godfrey for White, having said that I do worry that we lack some defensive nous in the full backs if we come up against an Mbappe/Hazard at some point in the competition

croadyman

Yeah, absolutely. Fan pressure is something I think every England manager runs afoul of. There's not a chance Connor Coady would've got a call up had there not been a social media movement from Wolves fans clamouring for him.

What, the alternative for Ward-Prowse? Phillips, Bellingham, Rice, Henderson, Mount. He's so average it's painful, should be nowhere near an England Euros squad. If we're taking Ward-Prowse we might as well take Winks and Barkley.
What about if we got a free-kick in a central area, do you not think it would be good to have someone in the squad who can deliver something from set-pieces other than TAA that's if he still gets picked of course

Havak

Pokemon master
Would agree with that squad apart from Godfrey for White, having said that I do worry that we lack some defensive nous in the full backs if we come up against an Mbappe/Hazard at some point in the competition
Yeah, in that case I wouldn't be surprised to see Southgate use a back 3 with Walker or Shaw as the third CB. Or, put Phillips on them as a man marker.

Bwuk

Cowardice selecting the 33 man squad.

Jordan Henderson hasn’t played since Feb - he surely isn’t going.

Henderson
Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw
Rice
Mount - Foden
Greenwood - Kane - Grealish​

That’s what I’d play. 2 goalscorers in Greenwood & Kane and plenty of creativity around them.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Where the feck is Bissaka in the provisional squad?
- He cannot play wingback.

- He cannot play RCB.

- He cannot attack.

- He did not play any qualifiers.

- No cap/international experience.

- Might be a good defender but he is the weakest rb overall.

- His technical ability and attacking instincts are extremely.. raw for a nicer word.

I said it much earlier in this thread, he was never in contention. Give it a couple of years and he might get a chance, realistically World Cup 22 is a good target. Trippier and Walker will be fazed out if Gareth is still in charge.

Right now he likes Walker at RCB and that means 2 places are up for grabs.
- Trippier is solid but not outstanding.
- Trent was the best attacking RB for the last couple of years but has been poor this year.
- James is young, fast, strong, versatile, good crosser and can also score from range.

Gareth loves Chelsea for some reason. That is why I predict he is taking James. So honestly it’s between having faith in Trent or taking a safer option in Trippier.

Reactions: Jippy