Your favorite united player

The Flying Potato

How can some pick Hernandez, They guy has been at the club a couple of months.

Berbatov? Jesus. A handful of good games over 2 and a bit years is enough to deserve such worship?

Hargreaves? Anderson? What the feck is wrong with some of you people.
So a player has to be a god ala Giggs/Scholes to be someones favourite player? :lol: As someone said favourite and best is not the same thing.
Do you have an injuries fetish or something?
Na, he's been my favourite since his performance at the 06 WC, my favourites tend to be types who always get stuck in and have a sort of never say die attitude, Smith was my favourite at one point for example, before that was Heinze (His first season)

towcester_red

Na, he's been my favourite since his performance at the 06 WC, my favourites tend to be types who always get stuck in and have a sort of never say die attitude, Smith was my favourite at one point for example, before that was Heinze (His first season)
Fair enough, he was Englands best player at the 06 WC. But those are long and distant memories now.....

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So a player has to be a god ala Giggs/Scholes to be someones favourite player? :lol: As someone said favourite and best is not the same thing.

That's a fair point TBH. The thread title is your favourite player, not neccessarily justify your choice. So I expect there to be a fair few that differ from the norm. Mine would be Giggs but when asked this question a couple of years back many criticised my choice because of his(at that time anyway) ailing form. My argument was that, he epitomised for me everything that was Utd in the modern era

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Scholes from the current crop.

Bryan Robson and Denis Irwin from the past. Loved Denis.

Ixion

Scholes currently. Andy Cole and Denis Irwin all time.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
At one point we had Rooney,Ronaldo,Tevez,Berbatov,Nani,Scholes,and Giggs.
Cheating I tell you!

K Stand Knut

Easy - Scholes. Best player a lot of us will ever see in a United shirt and IMO one of (if not THE) the best players of his generation.

redhead

Scholes, but Vidic is sneaking up there as the ginger ninja gets less and less time on the field.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Easy - Scholes. Best player a lot of us will ever see in a United shirt and IMO one of (if not THE) the best players of his generation.
Hmm... I love Scholes, but that statement seems a little over the top.

Giggs is probably better in terms of time at the top, Ronaldo definitely in terms of being right at the top for a couple of seasons.

SirAF

Ageist

Neville
Rio
Evra
Anderson
Giggs
Scholes
Vidic

Ever:

Keane
Cristiano

Denis' cuff

current: Giggs/Scholes

ever: Law/Robson

I'll be having nightmares about those i've left out

:lol::rolleyes::nervous:

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Present: Scholes (I think I'll be bawling when he retires)

Past: Keane

K Stand Knut

Hmm... I love Scholes, but that statement seems a little over the top.

Giggs is probably better in terms of time at the top, Ronaldo definitely in terms of being right at the top for a couple of seasons.
All I will say is that I am happy to never sleep again and argue the toss with you on this one.

We will not see a player as good as Paul Scholes in a United shirt for a long, long time and there is enough players at the top of the game (Zizou) included who have stated Scholes as the best player they have seen, which is good enough for me.

I know the media is always quick to say that we will struggle to replace X, Y and Z but we will really, really struggle to replace Scholes when he decides to call it a day. Again, only my opinion, but all other 'irreplaceable' players (see Robson, Cantona, Keane etc, etc...) have been replaced and adequately enough (see our consistent success since the early 90s). Scholes will prove to be the player that is the most difficult to replace.

Still my favourite

askabob

Apart from the likes of Neville, Scholes or Giggs, it'd be Carrick closely followed by Nani.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
In your current team Giggs by a mile. Nearly 20 years of brilliance without any dickishness. Scholes is not far off but as an England fan he let me down (if I was welsh i'd feel the same about Giggs).

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
England let Paul Scholes down not the other way round.
Scholes said he quit England to spend more time with his family. That's perfectly fine but as an England fan it was and is dissapointing.

I don't think he is the type of person to have stopped playing because he was not allowed to play in his favourite position, do you?

Mick1991

Scholes said he quit England to spend more time with his family. That's perfectly fine but as an England fan it was and is dissapointing.

I don't think he is the type of person to have stopped playing because he was not allowed to play in his favourite position, do you?
No but he is a human, would you feel wanted as the most gifted English midfielder of your generation if a halfwit manager moved you out on the wing to create the most awesomeness midfield in the world™? Of course the asthma attacks coupled with being shown a lack of respect by his national team played on his mind.

Cal?

CR7 fan
All I will say is that I am happy to never sleep again and argue the toss with you on this one.

We will not see a player as good as Paul Scholes in a United shirt for a long, long time and there is enough players at the top of the game (Zizou) included who have stated Scholes as the best player they have seen, which is good enough for me.

I know the media is always quick to say that we will struggle to replace X, Y and Z but we will really, really struggle to replace Scholes when he decides to call it a day. Again, only my opinion, but all other 'irreplaceable' players (see Robson, Cantona, Keane etc, etc...) have been replaced and adequately enough (see our consistent success since the early 90s). Scholes will prove to be the player that is the most difficult to replace.

Still my favourite
Don't get me wrong, Scholes is a great player, one of the very best of his generation, but I personally think Giggs is very much up there with him.

As for Ronaldo, his 07-08 remains the best season by any United player in at least the last 2 decades. It really depends what you mean by "Best player a lot of us will ever see in a United shirt".

In terms of longetivity and consistency, I can agree to a certain extent, but still Giggs edges it for me.

In terms of sheer brilliance, I'm not sure if anyone in a United shirt can match Ronaldo's 07-08 season for a very long time.

Plan M

Paul Scholes. He's even replaced my all time favourite (Cantona) of late. We won't ever find a midfielder of his calibre (not in my lifetime anyway.)

I just adore his game - he IS a ginger Zidane. Even my wife loves his pin-point passing, especially the long diagonal ones to the winger. She usually says "How does he do that, EVERYTIME?!"

:lol:

Plan M

Rooney has never been and never will be a favourite United player of mine.

He's a great talent and has scored very important goals for us.

But he's a Scouser (I just can't warm to them) and he's overrated by our media just like Terry and Gerrard are.

He's no Scholes/Cantona/Best/Ronaldo/Law