g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Your ideal 11 - 2018/19 and outs (being realistic)

MUFC OK

why is everyone blatantly ignoring what Jose has been saying the last few weeks? We won’t be splashing city level cash
As I said, we do have that kind of money, or rather the Glazers do.. In reality we are probably being forced to sell Martial, which we will do for £80m (under his market value) in order to fund the much needed investment in our squad.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm just saying he can play at left back. There is an argument for playing him there until he is more developed - the kind of development path of Bale. We may sign him and give him games in both positions for fear of him going to a rival and missing out on a top talent, perhaps.

You seem a little touchy today mate, you ok?
Do you remember Bales first few seasons at Spurs?

worldinmotion66

Do you remember Bales first few seasons at Spurs?
You're missing the point. He could take the same path doesn't mean that he is the same as Bale. Perhaps Bale would have flourished playing as a winger earlier in his development, perhaps he'd have flopped. It's pure conjecture so it doesn't really matter.

Sessegnon has played at full back throughout his development. I think he can play there, as do others. You clearly don't. It may not get the best out of him but at this stage in his development it's probably the only way he gets into a top four side, that's all. He'd still be an improvement on our current left back options imo, but I'd rather get Bertrand on the cheap.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A CB would be nice (well Alderweireld would be nice) - though I'm starting to just accept that its impossible to have a flawless Centre Back pairing anymore... so in a way, I guess I'd be fine to stick with what we have I guess... I certainly don't want another Lindelof.

So yeah, a full-back and a central midfield... and Ryan Sessegnon

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Sell Jose, sack Pogba, buy Pep and hire Salah.

Seriously though, is it a good idea to completely rework the team again? I see people suggesting getting rid of around 10 players and signing another 3/4 big names. Basically starting from scratch again. Maybe it’s time to make the team United hve perform above their level a bit. It’s not like the current players are shit. I know it’s mostly about money inthis day and age, but a team will also get better by playing together and training. There’s room for improvement with what there is now. The current strategy for most top clubs seems to be just throw money at your squad until something sticks. How about developing existing player instead of replacing them after a few bad games.

Last edited:

IrishRedDevil

I think we need 2 new full backs, but I think we will only buy one and stick with Valencia for another season. After all, he is one of the Captains and Jose seems to trust him. I'd go for Sandro at LB. Unfortunately it's probably time to say goodbye to Shaw.

An experienced CB who is comfortable on the ball would really elevate this team. The dream would be Alderweireld who would organise the defence and slot in nicely beside Smalling or Bailly. Jose has a headache here, as he will have to decide who to get rid of between Jones, Lindelof and Rojo.

Unfortunately I think Martial is on his way out, which is a real shame as he is one of my favourite players. The only thing that will make this acceptable is signing a top RW to balance our squad. I would love to add Mahrez but he may not be a Jose player? Willian would be a great alternative if we can snatch him off Chelsea (doubtful).

Carrick and Fellaini need replaced so we need to sign at least one new CM. Thankfully Herrera has raised his game recently after being poor all season, so perhaps we only need one CM and stick with Herrera. Pereira recalled from loan for additional depth.

Being realistic the 3 above in bold would cost circa £170m and leave us with the following team.
Selling Shaw (£20m), Martial (£80m) and Rojo/Lindelof (£30m) recoups circa £130m.

---------------De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Alderweireld - Sandro
----------------Matic
--------Herrera ---- Pogba
Willian ------- Lukaku ----- Sanchez

Silas

What other players have sold for doesn't mean squat. You have to look at the situation. A player we want to keep we will get a lot more money for. A player we want to offload? Not so much. As for your examples of players we sold recently that we got good money for, the only head scratcher is Schneiderlin. But Everton has been more than willing as of late to throw a lot of money at average players. Depay (who wasn't a flop and we never should have sold) went for way too little. He's a good and YOUNG player who will probably move on from Lyon for a lot more than that. As for Jones, I certainly hope we don't sell him. He's United though and through and still a very young player who hasn't even reached his prime yet. Sure, his injuries are frustrating, but when he's healthy he's among the best defenders in the league...
Well, it's a market. I'd say what other players sell for gives you a good indicator of what you could get for certain players. Well he showed nothing here, so it's no surprise we couldn't sell him for much more. Blind, Shaw and others have all shown more than Depay did while he was here and, excluding Valencia, all of them are in their prime or still yet to reach it. That's a nice sentiment, but we've been saying the same thing for the past few years and I don't see his injury record changing anytime soon. I'd rather we cut ties and brought someone reliable in than just hope Jones suddenly sorts himself out.

Web of Bissaka

"Realistic".

Too much many b.s. claims by most press?
- Apparently even Sanchez is leaving...

Anyway.. max 5 out, max 5 in. *not including youth players*

Out
Carrick (confirm)
Fellaini (very likely)
Darmian (high chance)
Blind (some chance)

In
Meunier (very likely if we go for him)
Alderweireld (good chance)
Willian (some chance)
C. Midfielder (that's the plan, prefer playmaker/deep passer that can control tempo)
High-Profile player (depends if suddenly surprisingly available, go for it)

---

Personally...
Can't see Pogba, Martial and Shaw leaving, nor us getting new LB.
Don't mind not signing a new midfielder nor new RM/RW. Upgrade of Darmian at RB and a strong CB are useful.

Putting my empty bet on just 3 outs, and 3 new signings - CB, RB and CM.

---

Ideal Squad,

ST Lukaku
Sub: Martial, Rashford.

LW Sanchez / Martial
Sub: Rashford.

RW Rashford / Lingard
Sub: Mata.

CAM Sanchez / Lingard
Sub: Mata.

Mid Pogba-Matic-Herrera / Matic-Pogba
Sub: McTominay, Pereira, Midfielder.

RB Meunier vs Valencia
Sub: TFM.

LB Young vs Shaw
Sub: Blind.

CBs Alderweireld-Smalling / Alderweireld-Bailly
Sub: Lindelof, Rojo, Jones.

GK De Gea
Sub: Romero, Pereira.

---

:keano: Squad: 6 Attackers, 6 Midfielders, 3 RBs, 3 LBs, 6 CBs, and 3 GKs = 27 players for Season 2018/19.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well, it's a market. I'd say what other players sell for gives you a good indicator of what you could get for certain players. Well he showed nothing here, so it's no surprise we couldn't sell him for much more. Blind, Shaw and others have all shown more than Depay did while he was here and, excluding Valencia, all of them are in their prime or still yet to reach it. That's a nice sentiment, but we've been saying the same thing for the past few years and I don't see his injury record changing anytime soon. I'd rather we cut ties and brought someone reliable in than just hope Jones suddenly sorts himself out.
The market is strongly dictated by whether or not a team is looking to sell a player. Blind for example is a player we don't use anymore. He's surplus to what we have. So because of that, we will be lucky to get 10-15m for him. However, if he was a player that was in our starting XI week in and week out and we wanted to hold onto him then we could demand more for him. As for Depay, I really feel that we gave up on him way too soon. He's doing great at Lyon and should have been loaned out, not sold (could say the same about Zaha). As for Jones, I still think he's captain material and along with Bailley, our best defender. He's also only 26 years old and somewhat of a local lad. He bleeds for this team. You can't put a price tag on the heart that he shows and he plays for the name on the front of the shirt, not the name on the back. The only way that I would sell him is if a really big offer came in that we couldn't refuse...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Out: Romero (5m), Darmian (15m), Blind (15m), Shaw (20m), Fellaini (free), Carrick (retire), lindgard (70m), lukaku (100m) - 225M
In: Sandro (45m), Alderweild (40m), Eriksen (100m), Griezmann (90m), Mahrez (60m) - 240m
Net spend 110m approx

---------------De gea----------------
Valencia--Bailly---Alderweild--Sandro
--------Eriksen--Herrera--Pogba--------
Mahrez-----Griezmann------Sanchez

Tougher games - swap Mahrez for Matic
Why on Earth would you want to sell Romero and for only 5m? If (when) De Gea leaves the #1 will be his spot (and rightfully so). We are talking about a full international and starting keeper for Argentina. He could be a starting keeper on just about any team in the world. And while I'm at it, why would you want to sell Lingard? We are talking about a player who grew up through the United system. He loves United through and through. You don't sell that for any amount. As for Lukaku, if someone came and offered 100m I would take it, but he won't be on our "sell" list. Not a chance. It's his first year at United and he's scored 27 goals this year in all comps. Those numbers will only get better...

NoPace

Presumptions:

1. My guess is that Martial is able to force a move since Mourinho seems happy enough to let players leave when they want.

2. Let's assume Mourinho was telling the truth when he said 3 players would be signed but that Sanchez coming would mean just 2. I'm assuming a CM and an LB, but with Martial leaving let's add a RW and get back up to 3.

3. Darmian or Blind leaves along with Fellaini.

4. Pereira comes back, along with one of Tuanzebe or Fosu-Mensah

5. Mourinho has faith that 2 of Lindelof, Bailly and Jones will form a proper partnership and he likes Smalling as a limited but defensively solid backup option.

6. Valencia is given one final year as the starting RB and we buy his replacement in the summer of 2019.

So, that would have us look like this:

-----------------Lukaku/Rashford-------------
Sanchez/Lingard--------------------RW/Mata (Chong)
---------Pogba/Pereira--CM/Herrera--------- (McTominay)
-------------------Matic/Herrera--------------
LB/Shaw-----------------------Valencia/Young (Blind/Darmian)
----------Jones/Lindelof-Bailly/Smalling----- (Tuanzebe/TFM)
-----------------De Gea/Romero-------------- (Pereira)

RW - Griezmann is surely the best player that could be realistically bought, and I think he'd do better at RW than people think, but Bailey looks interesting (though I haven't seen him much so no real opinion), as does Werner (though he's best as a 9, it could work with Sanchez dropping deeper and if we play through the left more with a Sanchez-Pogba-LB triangle then a goalscorer at the back post in Werner is interesting). Lemar would be interesting and probably a good fit with Mourinho and another setup man for Lukaku. Willian would annoy me, as he'll be 30 and isn't a top 30 player in the Prem so seems like a waste even if he might do fairly well for a year for 2. I like Pulisic's aggression as a dribbler but he's so young and Mourinho might not love that. If we wanted Malcolm or Mahrez I figure they'd already be here.

CM - Kovacic would be good but I doubt Madrid wants to sell with Modric getting on. Also we might need a player more about legs in midfield with Matic slowing down and Pogba being worse defensively than expected. Fred seems like that type, though I haven't seen enough. Fabinho would be good defensively to free up Pogba, and he could always be the RB when we play 4 in attack with Lingard, Rashford or Mata joining the front 3. Not sure about his creativity but he's composed enough in the final 3rd. Seri looks a great fit if the weather stuff isn't true. Jorginho I have doubts about since he'd be switching positions basically but he loves the ball, which we could use. Shame we missed out on Goretzka. Haven't seen enough of Savic from Lazio to say.

LB - We should have signed Mendy, but we didn't. Arana sounded promising but haven't seen him, and Sevilla signing him implies he's good. I'm a bit worried about Ghoulam and Rose being 27 since studies show players peak around 25-26 and fullbacks and wingers peak the earliest, but I think we'd get good production from either for a couple years if they stay healthy. Caricol is supposed to be good but seen him only once. Maybe a German? Plattenhardt is 26 and playing for Germany and at a small club. Same for Hector, who says he'll go down with Koln but would he turn down money, champions league and a decent fee for his club to help rebuild? Max I know little of, but leading the Bundesliga in assists from LB on a team playing 4-2-3-1 is pretty damn impressive.

UpWithRivers

Why on Earth would you want to sell Romero and for only 5m? If (when) De Gea leaves the #1 will be his spot (and rightfully so). We are talking about a full international and starting keeper for Argentina. He could be a starting keeper on just about any team in the world. And while I'm at it, why would you want to sell Lingard? We are talking about a player who grew up through the United system. He loves United through and through. You don't sell that for any amount. As for Lukaku, if someone came and offered 100m I would take it, but he won't be on our "sell" list. Not a chance. It's his first year at United and he's scored 27 goals this year in all comps. Those numbers will only get better...
I wouldn't sell Romero. It was a mistake, thought he wanted out due to previous posts.
Lindgard.....because he doesn't fit the system. He's a number 10 and shoehorning him into right wing half the time is pointless.
If he has a good world cup we could sell him at his peak price wise.
Lukaku - Chelsea or spurs if they sell Kane might fork out over 100 and if we replace with Griezmann for 90 we should be laughing. Our forward line will be much more fluid and dynamic.

Indnyc

Best team to beat this team over the last 3 gameweeks? (I'm 100pts behind)

Foster
Schindler Baines Francis
Alli Willian Salah Mahrez
Lukaku Vardy Firmino

I'm aware it's highly unlikely at this stage but got to try!
Wrong thread?

Decomposing In Paris

Presumptions:

I'm a bit worried about Ghoulam and Rose being 27 since studies show players peak around 25-26 and fullbacks and wingers peak the earliest...
I'd be really interested to see those studies if you know where you found them. Personally, I'd be too worried about the fitness/cost ratio of Ghoulam or Rose at this point.

Silas

The market is strongly dictated by whether or not a team is looking to sell a player. Blind for example is a player we don't use anymore. He's surplus to what we have. So because of that, we will be lucky to get 10-15m for him. However, if he was a player that was in our starting XI week in and week out and we wanted to hold onto him then we could demand more for him. As for Depay, I really feel that we gave up on him way too soon. He's doing great at Lyon and should have been loaned out, not sold (could say the same about Zaha). As for Jones, I still think he's captain material and along with Bailley, our best defender. He's also only 26 years old and somewhat of a local lad. He bleeds for this team. You can't put a price tag on the heart that he shows and he plays for the name on the front of the shirt, not the name on the back. The only way that I would sell him is if a really big offer came in that we couldn't refuse...
Just like with Schneiderlin, we can demand whatever we want. We might not need him, but that doesn't mean other teams won't be interested. As long as there are teams interested, we can get a reasonable fee.

Personally, I think we should have tried Depay centrally more often as his best work was when near the goal, but what's done is done. If he really takes off, we still have the buyback clause. Again, if he's injured half of the time, what's the point? I'd love for him to suddenly become injury-free and become a top, top player, but realistically, that's not going to happen.

diarm

Did we not already sell Lindegaard to West Brom a few years ago?

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
I don't know about being realistic , but if I was the manager of man United , then these are the probable IN's and OUT's.

OUT's:

Mata for 25 mil. , Blind for 15 mil. , Darmian for 20 mil., Shaw for 10 mil., Pereira for 15 mil. , Young for 15 mil., Marcos rojo for 25 mil.

Total outlet : 125 mil . Approx.

IN's:

Loan recall of TFM, Axel Tuanzebe,

Ryan Bertrand for 25 mil., Ryan sessegnon for 30 mil., Fabinho for 40 mil. and Riyad mahrez for 40 mil.

Total spent : 135 mil approx.

My team XI

............................... De Gea ..............................
.. valencia ..... Bailly ... Smalling .. bertrand ...
............................ matic ...................................
.............. Herrera. ................ pogba ................
...... Mahrez ........... lukaku ......... Sanchez. ....

Fabinho can play as cm or cdm and cover up for matic, lukaku and Rashford can interchange, mahrez and Rashford too can interchange , Sanchez and martial can interchange . Smalling and lindelolf can pair together , sessegnon can cover for valencia or tfm can also play as rb. Tuanzebe can play as cb. All in all we have a very effective playing XI.

NoPace

I'd be really interested to see those studies if you know where you found them. Personally, I'd be too worried about the fitness/cost ratio of Ghoulam or Rose at this point.
https://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-sports-analytics/jsa0021

"The results show that the average professional soccer player peaks between the ages of 25 and 27. In the preferred models, the average forward peaks at 25, whereas the typical defender peaks at 27. For midfielders, the estimated peak age varies by model but still occurs in the 25–27 age band."

Basically I think it's something like 24-26 for wingers and speedy strikers, 25-27 for AMs and CMs and fullbacks and maybe as late as 27-29 for target 9s (I remember being surprised just how late tall 9s seem to peak when reading some Andy Carroll defense from a Pool fan years ago that looked at taller strikers), CBs and DMs. Not sure about keepers but probably in that last group.

But I assume that at the top end, you can probably add a bit, maybe like a year-ish since incredibly skilled players shouldn't be quite as dependent on physical attributes, whereas a less talented player needs to be in peak physical shape to be at their peak.

This dude suggests even younger but haven't read it closely: https://ca.askmen.com/sports/fanatic_300/325_the-best-age-for-athletes.html

But yeah I figure players with an injury history like Rose's and now Ghoulam's might peak earlier or not last as long. Not sure. But buying a player who is at his peak for big money seems like a weird move when we could buy a 23-24 year old who projects to give us 4-5 years and resale value.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I wouldn't sell Romero. It was a mistake, thought he wanted out due to previous posts.
Lindgard.....because he doesn't fit the system. He's a number 10 and shoehorning him into right wing half the time is pointless.
If he has a good world cup we could sell him at his peak price wise.
Lukaku - Chelsea or spurs if they sell Kane might fork out over 100 and if we replace with Griezmann for 90 we should be laughing. Our forward line will be much more fluid and dynamic.
Lingard can play anywhere on the front line, be it on the wing, in the #10 or up front. I don't want to see a #10 anymore and have no problem at all with him on the wing. As for Lukaku, he isn't going anywhere. And if we did go for Griezmann, Mourinho would never play him as a lone striker. He doesn't fit the Mourinho profile. He would probably either play him on the wing or in the #10. Personally, the only way I would want Griezman is if we were to switch to a 4-4-2...

King Andow

The ideal is not realistic. Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Young, Herrera and Lingard are not good enough to be starters on a team who wants to win the UCL and the PL, it wouldn't be a surprise if all of them start the season in the first 11 with Mourinho.

Anyway:
Out: Darmian, Blind, Shaw, 1 of Jones/Smalling/Rojo (wouldn't bother with any of those going), Fellaini, Mata. Maybe get around 90-100m here.
Loan: Tuanzebe, TFM, McTominay, Pereira (PL club this time)

Then we need:
2 FB's who can cross a ball: Tierney and Odriozola
1 CB to partner Bailly: Alderweireld
1 CDM to cover Matic: Rodri (Villareal)
1 CM to complement Matic and Pogba: Nicolo Barella
1 creative CM to cover Pogba: Ruben Neves
1 RW who can beat his man: Willian

De Gea, Odriozola, Bailly, Alderweireld, Tierney, Matic, Barella, Pogba, Sánchez, Willian, Lukaku

Romero, Valencia, Smalling, Lindelof/Rojo, Young, Rodri, Herrera, Neves, Lingard, Martial, Rashford

It's fun to dream.

Reactions: Sultan

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Just like with Schneiderlin, we can demand whatever we want. We might not need him, but that doesn't mean other teams won't be interested. As long as there are teams interested, we can get a reasonable fee.

Personally, I think we should have tried Depay centrally more often as his best work was when near the goal, but what's done is done. If he really takes off, we still have the buyback clause. Again, if he's injured half of the time, what's the point? I'd love for him to suddenly become injury-free and become a top, top player, but realistically, that's not going to happen.
Schneiderlin was a one off. Still not sure how we got that money for him. But we aren't going to get big money for players like Blind and Darmien. The are surpluss. The only player who I think are surplus who we could still get a good price for is Shaw. It would be nice to be proven wrong though...

UpWithRivers

Lingard can play anywhere on the front line, be it on the wing, in the #10 or up front. I don't want to see a #10 anymore and have no problem at all with him on the wing. As for Lukaku, he isn't going anywhere. And if we did go for Griezmann, Mourinho would never play him as a lone striker. He doesn't fit the Mourinho profile. He would probably either play him on the wing or in the #10. Personally, the only way I would want Griezman is if we were to switch to a 4-4-2...
Lindgard will never be a permanent winger for us. Not in a million years. Sure he can do a job there in certain games but what's the point. He'll never be a permanent number 10 as well. So he will knock about being a back up player, diminishing until we sell him in 4,5 years for 10 mill to Everton. We need to be strong in these situations. Is he a player that fits our team or not. No. So its best for him and us if he goes. He will have a great career at Spurs for example.
I'm fine with Lukaku. He's done well. Ill be happy if he stays. But let's face it, we can improve, both the type of player and the player himself. A front three of Griezmann, Sanchez and Mahrez would be a very different attacking system and for me much better.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I predict United will line up in a 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-2-1 formation next season.

My list is based on Mou saying no new attackers (so no Bale, Mahrez, Costa, Willian, Dybala, Griezmann, Fekir, Forsberg, Eriksen, etc)
& it's in midfield where our problems lie.

LWB/LM

Best Choice: Sandro
Back-Up Options: Telles, Gaya, Alonso, Bernat, Ghoulam
High-Risk Options: Hector, Sessegnon, Tierney, Guerreiro, Wendell, Rodriguez, Amavi, Kurzawa, Grimaldo, Albrighton

RWB/RM

Best Choice(s): Florenzi, NDombele,
Back-Up Options: Meunier, Sidibe, Fernandes
High-Risk Options: Bellerin, Odriozola, Cancelo, Vrsaljko

DLP

Best Choice(s): Dembele, Pjanic, Verratti
Back-Up Options: Neves, Jorginho, Fabinho
High-Risk Options: Kondogbia, Meyer, Weigl, Wilshere

B2B

Best Choice(s): Kovacic, Fred, Thiago, Kante, Nainggolan
Back-Up Options: Rabiot, Seri, Ndidi
High-Risk Option: Can

3-4-2-1:

Defence (3)

Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly fighting for 3 places. No additions unless Umtiti/Varane are available which we all doubt.
Goodbye Blind & Darmian. Tuanzebe & TFM on loan again, recalled if injury crisis.

Midfield
(4)

Sandro, Shaw, Young battling it out for LM/LWB.
NDombele, Valencia, Young competing for RM/RWB.
Fred & Herrera fight it out for 1 B2B role in the middle. & next to one of them, Matic & Dembele rotate in the DLP position.
Pogba or NDombele to fill in should any of Herrera/Fred/Matic/Dembele succumb to injury.
Goodbye Carrick + Fellaini. McTominay on loan. Perhaps Pereira is sold too.

AM/SS (2)

Meanwhile, Pogba & Sanchez are first choice for 2 support striker/ attacking mid roles just behind the front man. Lingard, Mata & Martial as back-up.

Striker (1)

Up top, it's one of Lukaku or Rashford with martial/sanchez on standby if injury strikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Lindgard will never be a permanent winger for us. Not in a million years. Sure he can do a job there in certain games but what's the point. He'll never be a permanent number 10 as well. So he will knock about being a back up player, diminishing until we sell him in 4,5 years for 10 mill to Everton. We need to be strong in these situations. Is he a player that fits our team or not. No. So its best for him and us if he goes. He will have a great career at Spurs for example.
I'm fine with Lukaku. He's done well. Ill be happy if he stays. But let's face it, we can improve, both the type of player and the player himself. A front three of Griezmann, Sanchez and Mahrez would be a very different attacking system and for me much better.
Lingard is a classic example of not appreciating what we have. He is a fantastic player. The type of player we would be drooling over if he was on another team and not English. As it stands, he's among our leading scorers and is a part time player. However, when there's a big game ahead, Lingard is one of the first on the team sheets, and more often than not, he comes through with big goals in those games. Getting rid of him would be a huge mistake. We need to make excuses to keep academy players, not make excuses as why we should sell them...

Decomposing In Paris

https://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-sports-analytics/jsa0021

"The results show that the average professional soccer player peaks between the ages of 25 and 27. In the preferred models, the average forward peaks at 25, whereas the typical defender peaks at 27. For midfielders, the estimated peak age varies by model but still occurs in the 25–27 age band."

Basically I think it's something like 24-26 for wingers and speedy strikers, 25-27 for AMs and CMs and fullbacks and maybe as late as 27-29 for target 9s (I remember being surprised just how late tall 9s seem to peak when reading some Andy Carroll defense from a Pool fan years ago that looked at taller strikers), CBs and DMs. Not sure about keepers but probably in that last group.

But I assume that at the top end, you can probably add a bit, maybe like a year-ish since incredibly skilled players shouldn't be quite as dependent on physical attributes, whereas a less talented player needs to be in peak physical shape to be at their peak.

This dude suggests even younger but haven't read it closely: https://ca.askmen.com/sports/fanatic_300/325_the-best-age-for-athletes.html

But yeah I figure players with an injury history like Rose's and now Ghoulam's might peak earlier or not last as long. Not sure. But buying a player who is at his peak for big money seems like a weird move when we could buy a 23-24 year old who projects to give us 4-5 years and resale value.
Thanks, most of those are younger than I'd expect!

Gopher Brown

Romero won’t be our first choice if De Gea leaves, we will sign a different keeper.

The guy has been back-up wherever he goes except AZ and 2 seasons at Sampdoria. He’s hardly the level we’re looking for. Yes, he looks okay when he plays, but is liable to concentration problems and the odd flap.

He may want to leave to try elsewhere, and it’ll be for a small fee.

IrishMcD

Romero won’t be our first choice if De Gea leaves, we will sign a different keeper.

The guy has been back-up wherever he goes except AZ and 2 seasons at Sampdoria. He’s hardly the level we’re looking for. Yes, he looks okay when he plays, but is liable to concentration problems and the odd flap.

Couldn't agree more. He look s fine for a game or two, but isn't consistent when he gets a run in a team. Always has a howler in him. Hence why he has never been first choice.

Kazi

Seriously though, why do people still make these threads with half of the players in our current team somehow disappearing.

Robaldo

We're not getting 80m for Martial, and I don't know why people are saying it :houllier:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

You can go on and base your assessments on "what he's been at other clubs". I will base my assessments on what I see on the field, and from what I've seen, he has more than earned a chance to make the #1 his "if" De Gea leaves. Last year alone he had something like 12 clean sheets and never let in more than 1 goal in a game. And believe it or not, but De Gea is also liable to concentration problem and the odd flap too. Perfect example was our last game vs Leicester. We were up by a goal late in the game and they sent in an inswinging cross from 35 yards out to De Gea's far post that was tapped in from 3 yards out. There shouldn't even have been a shot on goal there. It should have been De Gea's ball all day long. But he got caught flat footed and we dropped points.

If anything, Romero is probably one of the most underrated keepers in the world right now...

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We're not getting 80m for Martial, and I don't know why people are saying it :houllier:
I would have agreed up till last year. But with transfer fees out of control and the World Cup coming up (fees normally go up) I’m not sure what to expect and if we got offered that for Martial it wouldn’t be the biggest shock as £50m seems to be next to nothing nowadays for English clubs. Even Everton have got in the act with Sigurosson. Plus Southampton getting £75m for VVD of Liverpool is eye watering yes he’s quality but £75m for a centre back at Southampton is just crazy money (good signing for Liverpool) but shows you how much the money in English football especially is just radio gaga nowadays.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I think the last time we sold a player that wasn't surplus to requirements, was Ronaldo. Can't count Tevez, as he was on loan. Everyone else who left were "past it" ie: Rooney, RVP, Ibra etc etc.

If there's no need for him, then get him off the books and sign a guaranteed starter.

Frustrates the hell out of me constantly running at defenders from the left with 2 outcomes. Either running into a brick wall, or getting his feet tangled with the ball.

Then just stands there looking perplexed and deflated...

Decomposing In Paris

I think the last time we sold a player that wasn't surplus to requirements, was Ronaldo. Can't count Tevez, as he was on loan. Everyone else who left were "past it" ie: Rooney, RVP, Ibra etc etc.

If there's no need for him, then get him off the books and sign a guaranteed starter.

Frustrates the hell out of me constantly running at defenders from the left with 2 outcomes. Either running into a brick wall, or getting his feet tangled with the ball.

Stats don't mean everything, but his stats this season are good enough to suggest that those aren't the only 2 outcomes.

wolvored

Both Darmian and Blind are full internationals. I'd imagine you would get 15m easy for them. Also Smalling would be sold domestically. With the PL money, him being English, in his prime and a double winning league player you'd easily get 30m+.

Martial maybe overvalued for some but I rate him highly so wouldn't like him sold for less personally.
All 3 have a really good chance of being sold. We shall see. I would say 10 mill tops for Blind and Darmian and 20 mill tops for Smalling.

reddaz71

Outs: Darmian,Blind,Fellaini,Shaw,Mata,Jones,Carrick.

Ins: Fred,Sandro,Fabinho,Bale,Willian,Aldeweireld.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Fosu-Mensah can't get a game for Palace - is he really good enough to be our back-up RB??

(Yes, I know he's currently injured, but he'd lost his place in the side already)

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Stats don't mean everything, but his stats this season are good enough to suggest that those aren't the only 2 outcomes.
I wasn't posting stats, mearly observations. I've watched every single game this season, including pre-season. His inability or desire to win the ball back is mainly what frustrates me after losing the ball.

Decomposing In Paris

I wasn't posting stats, mearly observations. I've watched every single game this season, including pre-season. His inability or desire to win the ball back is mainly what frustrates me after losing the ball.
Did I say you were posting stats? No, I said that he had stats, and then I acknowledged that stats don't always tell the whole story. However, the number of goals and assists he has this season, and the goals/minute ratios are a pretty indisputable way of countering your assertion that there are only two outcomes when he receives the ball.

I don't care that you've seen the same number of games this seasons as I have. You're entitled to your frustrations, and I think that's an area of his game he needs to improve... but to suggest that he is consistently ineffective, or poor on the ball is ridiculous.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Did I say you were posting stats? No, I said that he had stats, and then I acknowledged that stats don't always tell the whole story. However, the number of goals and assists he has this season, and the goals/minute ratios are a pretty indisputable way of countering your assertion that there are only two outcomes when he receives the ball.

I don't care that you've seen the same number of games this seasons as I have. You're entitled to your frustrations, and I think that's an area of his game he needs to improve... but to suggest that he is consistently ineffective, or poor on the ball is ridiculous.
But correct regardless, I mean, why mention stats twice in one sentence, when I didn't mention anything about stats?

He runs at defenders, loses the ball much more than he beats his man, then just stands there with a confused look as if to ask, why did that guy not let me beat him?

What's ridiculous in spotting that on numerous occasions when he's on the pitch?

G27

I just love how it says "being realistic", and some people think we will buy 8+ players.... Come on...

I don't know more than anyone else in this forum, but I will share who I think we should (and maybe will) buy this summer.

In:
CM/CDM - Ruben Neves - The portuguese have been tearing it up in the Championship. I would love to see this creative ball player in United next season. With him on the pitch together with Pogba and either Herrera or Matic, Pogba would be able to go forward more, and we would still have a playmaker deep in the pitch. I actually think we will sign this guy for a whopping £50+ mill. Wolves will want to keep him, so they won't let him go cheap. He will replace Michael Carrick.
CM/CDM - If Fellaini leaves, Mourinho has said we need another midfielder. Players who are rumoured, and who I think would be good signings, are: Fabinho (Monaco), Vidal (Bayern), SMS (Lazio), Seri (Nice)
LB - Shaw is not doing very well at United. He might need a fresh start somewhere else to get back on track. I don't think Mourinho wants to keep this man if he can sign someone else in his position. Alex Sandro and Kieran Tierney are mentioned a lot in the media.
CB or RB - We currently have Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo, Lindelof at the CB position. Tuanzebe might be in the team next season as well. Unless we sell one of them I can't see Mourinho bringing in another CB. However, we need a replacement for Valencia on the RB, as he is not getting any younger. I have no idea who we might get.

Carrick will leave the squad and become coach for next season. I think Fellaini, Shaw, Darmian and Blind will leave.

Reactions: Penna