Your memories of Barcelona 99'...

Sam

With us playing in Barcelona, at the Nou Camp, tonight. I thought it would be a fitting time to reminisce about the past, and the last time we played in Barcelona, of course, that night in May, 1999.

So, whether you were at the game, in Barcelona but with no ticket, in Manchester, in your local Pub, at home watching with your Gran, whatever. What do you remember about that day. How did you spend it? How did you feel, nervous/excited, both?

How did you feel as kick off approached, when Basler scored, at half time etc? What do you remember about the game itself. But most importantly, how did you react when first Teddy, and then Ole, put the ball in the Germans net? And how did you celebrate that famous win?

Basically, I just thought it would be nice for us to all share our memories of that famous day. So, get telling your stories...

DUNDEEUTDMAN

dinnae remember the game really but i remember seeing the happy mondays in glasgow, and they came on to the queen song 'barcelona'

for the final i remember breaking my bed as i jumped on it after the winner , and my coupon coming in for the bayern ht/ man utd ft bet , i think it was 33/1 :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You were 6/7 then Im guessing Sam?

I was 9, one month before turning 10, and I went fecking mental. Ran up and down my living room, jumped on the couch and screamed up by the window. Then the second one went in, my dad smashed a glass in celebration by accident, I exploded and starting sliding across the carpet, got really painful burns on my knees but it was worth it.

All the while my mum was doing one of those 'ooh's' that mums do when something happens and they don't really know what it means.

Sam

You were 6/7 then Im guessing Sam?

I was 9, one month before turning 10, and I went fecking mental. Ran up and down my living room, jumped on the couch and screamed up by the window. Then the second one went in, my dad smashed a glass in celebration by accident, I exploded and starting sliding across the carpet, got really painful burns on my knees but it was worth it.

All the while my mum was doing one of those 'ooh's' that mums do when something happens and they don't really know what it means.
:lol:

Yeah, I was 7, just.

I don't really remember that much. Obviously I didn't realise the enormity of the game, or what it meant. I just remember going round one of my Mum's relatives house for a family meal. I knew the game was on, so after we had eaten, I went to watch it. Now, I don't remember the game itself, I just remember afterwards being really happy that United had won, and then playing football in the front room, with my Auntie, using some scrunched up paper! Crazy I know.

I also vaguely remember me being Argentina, and her Brazil, God Knows why though.

MalibuKen

I was 12/13 at the time and I remember going fecking mental and laughing at Schmikes' cartweel thingy.

Then the next day at school a kid started saying that we had planned it all along to score 2 in the final moments

RedLars

I was 13 at the time. I was watching the game in the attict of my parents' old house on a 14 inch TV.

I remember I thought Beckham was immense through the whole match, but it wasn't until he got out on the flank he really found himself. I remember that I thought everything was over. I remember discovering that it wasn't. I remember I ran downstairs to my tell my mother what just happened (all the excitement made me forget that she didn't care) and woke up my sister in the process. I also remember that my father called me from offshore to make sure I had been watching the game.

I remember the perfect game of football for me as a Norwegian United fan.

I remember happy!

surf

Sheringham's goal. I'll never forget it. Incredible moment that turned an almost certain defeat into almost certain victory.

KOV

Melbourne! Was at Old Trafford for UNITED 5 Spurs
i woke up at 4am was 19 at the time..

i remember feeling deflated after basler's opener.. thought some things just arent mean to be BUT then bayern hit the crossbar twice and one effort rolled back to schimecel of the post maybe lady luck is on our side..

Those last two minutes where fuken crazy sureal to do something no other team has done before and in that manner typified manchester united :devil:

VII

I was on my knees from the 86th minute in front of the TV praying to God. I usually do not believe in God except when the situation is desperate. :)

From winning the FA Cup, it seems we were destined to do the Treble and going into the match with Bayern, though nervous, I was pretty confident.

Until Basler scored and thoughout the match we weren't being ourselves at all. As the clock runs down it was weird, on one hand it felt like someone on deathsrow minutes away from execution but on the other, as was our trademark in those days, we leave it very late and even in the 90th minute of any match, the belief we can grab something in there for most if not all fans.

The rest is history... though I was in heaven just thinking about going into extra time as we were getting more dominant.

I'm rambling here but the overall feeling is one that I can re-live just thinking back to that night. And of course who can forget Samuel Kuffour brawling and pounding the ground.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Beckham was amazing in those games, and that goal from Yorke and Cole has to be one of the best ever!
Cant wait for tonight!

MUFCgal

Me and my dad spent the day decorating the house, putting up banners and flags. We hunted out any Man Utd records, tapes or songs we had and got them ready for the celebration. We also got some grub ready and drink in, as we had a full house watching the match. I was 16 at the time and it was incredibly exciting. Only I was in the middle of my GCSE's, we would have went to Barcelona that week for a holiday and been there to celebrate when the team won. Bayern were 1-0 up and it was in the last few minutes of normal time, my dad just patted my shoulder and said 'its all over love'. I said it wasn't over and that we could at least get an equaliser and take it to extra time. Sure enough, Teddy got the goal and made it 1-1. Then I said to my dad that we could win this because it was a unique moment, I KNEW we were gonna score again before time was over and up pops Ole to get the winner, I was literally crying tears of joy. We were blasting our Man Utd songs all over the house, we were dancing in the street.......it was just the greatest night of my life :devil:

Fuengirola Red

Being in the Nou Camp on the top tier feeling gutted ,then utter overwhelming ecstasy when the equaliser went in and was still celebrating the first goal when the winner went in , was hugging and jumping up and down with complete strangers like we were best mates , even the massive ques back to Gerona airport on the coach and the several hours delay fling back to the uk seemed to fly by

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
i was also in the nou camp and was still celebrating the sheringham goal and didnt realise that ole stuck out his toe and bagged the winner, it was a bit strange celebrating something i hadnt really seen but the best part of the whole night was the celebrations around barcelona afterwards and i have to say that the munich fans took it really well and more than a few came up to me and congratulated me and my mates (not certain we´d of done the same).
even the spanish police were in good mood!!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I was 21 and a broke student..... I watched the game in my digs on my own, I just wanted us to win i so badly I couldnt take watching it with anyone else.... at one nil down going into the last ten mins I was devastated.... the rest is history, I went mental, on my own, and I'm not ashamed to say I cried with pride...

Doevle

Not only my happiest United-moment; happiest moment of my life. As a Norwegian, it was extra special to see Ole scoring the winner. It was like taken out of a fairy tale.

Aporkalypse

I was in an Irish pub in Norwich. Beginning to feel quite horrible before the equaliser went in, from that moment on was a blur of insanity, cheering, hugging complete strangers and spilled Guinness. There was a table of Liverpool fans at the back of the pub, one of whom was wearing a Munich shirt with "Honorary Scousers" or some such shite on the back, hilarious amount of stick he got for that at the end!

Maroon Lucifer

I had to do the 2 hour drive to the airport to pick up my father whom I hadn't seen for a few years then. The flight was a bit delayed, so there was no way we could make it back in time. We decided to "visit" some of our relatives in another town that was closer so we could see the game. I was 19 back then kids.

Sam

Some great stories lads and lasses, keep them coming...

hycool

CR7 fanboy
With us playing in Barcelona, at the Nou Camp, tonight. I thought it would be a fitting time to reminisce about the past, and the last time we played in Barcelona, of course, that night in May, 1999.

So, whether you were at the game, in Barcelona but with no ticket, in Manchester, in your local Pub, at home watching with your Gran, whatever. What do you remember about that day. How did you spend it? How did you feel, nervous/excited, both?

How did you feel as kick off approached, when Basler scored, at half time etc? What do you remember about the game itself. But most importantly, how did you react when first Teddy, and then Ole, put the ball in the Germans net? And how did you celebrate that famous win?

Basically, I just thought it would be nice for us to all share our memories of that famous day. So, get telling your stories...

The match started at 3.45 am Singapore time. I was the only one watching as my family was asleep. When Sheringham scored the first I was jumping about with my pillow. Heard some cheers from neighbours too. Before I could finish celebrating they scored another. The whole day went well for me :D

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I was ready to burn my shirt and then Teddy scored, after that it was like prayer...c'mon, c'mon. at least I thought that we would do it in extra time. when Ole scored I went mental.

the win inspired me to go back to University and finish my degree.

spinoza

Paz's ion
Don't remember much

Got absolutely wasted

Next morning spoke to my dad, he'd put money on United to win with 10 minutes to go and won a pretty packet. He lost it all over the next couple of years though.

vanthaman

Winner
i remember sitting in my lounge, and when we got the first one i jumped up and started running around the room screaming, then when we get the 2nd i did it 10 times louder and manic, i remember after the first one that i was sitting back in the exact same position holding my glass in the same position and angle etc.. and it worked :)

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I was 9, remember most of it quite vividly, wasn't the most exciting of games till the 80th minute, remember feeling physically sick at the prospect of losing a final, and I remember my dad saying "don't worry we'll do it somehow."

He tends to get the big calls right.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I was only about 8.
Remember sitting on the sofa watching it with my Dad and Mum.
I remeber the Basler goal, but then nothing until Teddy equalised at which point my Dad went mental, scaring me a bit, so i sort of peered from behind the cushion just as Ole stuck it in, i thought it was a replay of the first goal, but soon realised it was'nt when my Dad ran and dived over the sofa oppostie for no other reason than jubilation.
My Uncle then rang who was there that night, he proceeded to swear joyfully down the phone on loudspeaker for a while.
I went to bed.

lem8sh

Remember baslers goal and being fit to cry for the next what ever it was. When teddy scored i went ballistic and woke up my 6month old baby sister for which I got a bollocking from the mother. Next thing half way through her lecture Ole scored and the rest is history. I was grounded for a wk but feck me was it worth it

Rooney24

I got fecked out of a bar when Sheringham equalised for jumping into the big TV Screen. Told the bounce to cop himself on and got back inside just as Ole scored the winner.

If I'd have missed that God help that fecking bouncer.....

Anduin

I was 16 back then. My class hold a lot of Bayern supporters, I remember us talking about the game quite some time that day. I got home pretty early, couldn't do anything until the kick-off. Basler scored and I thought wtf, it's over even if there are 84 minutes left. Bayern were immense that year, they were a bit like Chelsea under Mourinho. If they went in front, you'd rarely get a chance to secure an equalizer, let alone an (injury time) winner. But as the game went on I knew something is still to come, Bayern were unable to score the crucial second goal, rest is history.
I watched it alone at home, but when Teddy made it 1-1 I went completely mental. Damn it, loved the next day, you can't imagine the express on the faces of the Bayern supporters. Prizeless...
How I wish I was there that night but to put it simple I was just too young and didn't have the money. I still envy everyone who was at Camp Nou, what a moment when Ole scored the winner...

I thought we were done for when it headed into injury time. You always believe you can bounce back but against Bayern that seemed very doubtful. Then we got those magical 2 goals in quick succession. I went absolutely crazy and thats the best Man Utd feeling ive ever had. I was so proud of the team.

Sam

I think this is a good time too bump this thread...

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I watched it in pub in Dublin. Was an (extremely hard-looking) skin-head Liverpool fan sitting near me. He was cheering Bayern the whole way through and laughing at United's (many) lucky escapes.

When Ole scored I got massively over-excited and ran over to him and started waving my fist in his face.

For a terrifying moment, it occurred to me that I had just set myself up for a nasty beating.

To yer man's eternal credit his only response was to say "fair fecks" and shake my hand.

ralphie88

Watched it in the second tier of the Camp Nou level with the edge of the penalty area where the goals were scored. I remember being very hungover and sunburnt for the duration, and the stress of trying to get into the ground (ended up with a spare I had to get rid of about 20 mins before kick off).

And the carnage of the last couple of minutes - most clearly the absolute CERTAINTY we were going to score the winner from that corner.

Then an hour celebrating in the ground with the players before the walk back to town. And United fans on Las Ramblas, some in tears.

Obi de oba da Man Uniiiiiited!
European Champions!

iguanamanc

I went to the final at Wembley as a 15-year old in 1968

In 1999, I was much older, less wise and married with kids. My wife hates football and understands nothing about a supporter’s mentality. In April 1999, she’d cashed in some building society windfall shares, and provisionally booked a holiday in Rhodes. Imagine my horror when she told me the dates – we would have been flying out there from Birmingham at the time the CL final kicked off on May 26th. In desperation, I phoned the travel agent to try and get them to tell my missus that the flights had been taken and we would have to book another holiday (on the promise that we’d have an even more expensive one). Which they did, and left my wife in tears.

Anyway, we rebooked for Corfu, flying out two days earlier and checked into a large family hotel where 80% of the guests were German. I eventually watched the match in the Bulldog Bar in Roda. The British proprietor had turned the awful Greek commentary off on the TVs and fed in Radio 5 coverage. Brilliant night and I got absolutely mullahed with some other Reds on Amstel lager. My wife had stayed behind at the hotel lounge and relayed back to me how absolutely gutted all the German/Bayern supporters were after those last three minutes.

That was one great holiday. Apart from the fact that I trod on a sea urchin.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
I was in the stadium, only 10 years old, remember my uncle telling me it was okay if we lost and that I shouldn't be too sad about it etc...

And then come Teddy and Ole to make that night in Barcelona one of the happiest days of my life. I'll never forget the atmosphere in the stadium, just unbelievable.

Robin

I was in the top tier in the end where the goals were scored and the two goals being scored so soon after each other left me completely exhausted and the flight home considering that there were 500 reds on a jumbo was the quietest football flight ever because everyone just slept, and then all down manchester to celebrate, and my flight tomorrow is at 04.00 so i think another exhausting day in prospect !

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
When Ole bagged the winner my mate jumped on me and I tore the ligament in my right knee. Ended my playing days... worth it thought :devil:

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I'll be in Kells in Portland from 11am tomorrow... should be packed. If it was the Scouse instead of Chelski there would have been trouble... no question.

Tev to score the winner.