Your Predictions of Ins and Outs this Summer...

Crerand Legend

That's more or less it, as far as I'm concerned.

I simply can't imagine where the optimists are getting their hope from. As far as the Glazers are concerned, qualifying for the Champions League is enough to keep their business model afloat.

As much as I love Sir Alex, he's got no power to speak of anymore when we're talking transfers. Be prepared for many 'Owens' (old, washed up players we might get on a free, and might hope to revive) & 'Obertans'.

I'm as far from a transfer muppet as it's possible to get, but I'm just beyond depressed about the current situation.
As long as the Glazers are in charge we won't invest in the squad as we ought to. We'll just try and keep decent enough not to drop out of the top 4.
My thoughts as well, good post

honcho

I do not mean to be disrespectful to neville,scholes and giggs,but I wish the boss would let them retire gracefully,he is to loyal to them, he prefers experience in the crucial matches and does not take a chance on the young uns like he should........they simply do not cut it anymore....

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
That's more or less it, as far as I'm concerned.

I simply can't imagine where the optimists are getting their hope from. As far as the Glazers are concerned, qualifying for the Champions League is enough to keep their business model afloat.

As much as I love Sir Alex, he's got no power to speak of anymore when we're talking transfers. Be prepared for many 'Owens' (old, washed up players we might get on a free, and might hope to revive) & 'Obertans'.

I'm as far from a transfer muppet as it's possible to get, but I'm just beyond depressed about the current situation.
As long as the Glazers are in charge we won't invest in the squad as we ought to. We'll just try and keep decent enough not to drop out of the top 4.
not defending the glazers, but did they not authorise Berbatov's purchase? We were unlucky that we got a dud.

nt saying we will get Villa or Benzema but if SAF wanted someone and he can justify the need, we will get him. SAF will not stay one minute longer should he believe he does not have any say in who he brings in. Of course he does not have an unlimited budget. No club has it except perhaps City...for now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There won't be wholesale changes at United. People discuss it every single year yet it never really happened.

We will maybe get rid of one first-team player and at most two squad players, that's all. Then we will probably replace them with the same amount of players or one more.

Try to live with it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We won't sell Carrick because to sell somebody, you actually have to find somebody to buy that player.

For Berbatov we could probably find a team like Milan or Bayern who will buy him for £15m or something. We won't find an overseas interest in Carrick.

Jase

[highhorse]I'm sure some people will look back upon this thread in the not too distant future and realise that they were being ridiculous.[/highhorse]

Sell Carrick? Force Giggs and Scholes into retirement? feck me sideways.

Can't say I would mind Gourcuff in the red shirt though, but I would hardly predict it as we have never been linked with him as far as I know. I suppose we can hope the club is trying to keep their interest as secret as possible. Or maybe we should all just lock ourselves in our bedrooms until the summer, turn off the lights and hope for Clint Dempsey.

Jaap

Fergie set for £60m spree

ALEX FERGUSON will try to persuade Manchester United chiefs to spend big in the summer after their season dramatically fell apart.

The Old Trafford manager wants £60million - around twice as much as in recent seasons - to spend on Karim Benzema and David Silva.

He wants those two to underpin the 'tweaking' of a squad who crashed out of the FA Cup and Champions League, then seemingly handed the Premier League title to Chelsea with a tame draw at Blackburn.

But Fergie, 68, is always the last to panic and believes wholesale changes are NOT needed to get back on the trophy trail.

Owners, the Glazers, claim the money left over from the £80m sale of Cristiano Ronaldo is still there to finance deals.

If Fergie gets the go-ahead to splash the cash by debt-ridden United, he will make just a few minor, if expensive, adjustments.

The Scotsman, once told he would win nothing with kids, will trust again in the youth at Old Trafford with United's old guard ready to fall as one team evolves into another.

Rafael might be only 19 but has already proved what an excellent right-back he is, even if his inexperience cost him dearly in the second leg against Bayern Munich with a red card.

In Jonny Evans, 22, there is a ready made replacement for centre-half Rio Ferdinand who is having endless back problems.

Ferguson also has big plans for 20-year-old Chris Smalling who he bought from Fulham this season and loaned back to Roy Hodgson until the summer.

And while the jury is still out on Darron Gibson, the 22-year-old Irish midfielder is just starting to prove his worth.

Fergie has always loved to play with width and in Antonio Valencia, 24, and Nani, 23, he has players who can provide that in abundance.

He snatched a then 18-year-old Wayne Rooney from Everton because he knew what his explosive talents could bring and that is why he will hunt down long-term target Benzema.

Ferguson tried for Benzema, 22, this season but lost out when the striker chose arch European rivals Real Madrid who snatched him for around £35m.

Although Benzema has scored eight goals this campaign his face does not seem to fit at the Bernabeu and United could get him for a 'cut-price' £25m.

Valencia winger Silva, 24, also remains on his hit-list and the struggling Spanish club could do with the £35m he will generate.

The old head of keeper Edwin van der Sar, 39, will survive another season but club captain Gary Neville, 35, is heading for retirement in the summer.

Paul Scholes will also admit at 35 his days of bossing games from midfield are in the past.

Ferguson once went three years without a pot and responded with a hat-trick of titles and a European Cup.

Now he will aim to prove once more his best years at the very top are not in his past.
Fergie set for £60m spree | The Sun |Sport|Football

:houllier:

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'm not making this a who I think we should get in or get rid off.

Just my guess. Of course the certs are those announced as coming in.

Out
Owen
Berbatov
Carrick
Neville
Scholes
Giggs

In
Smalling
Hernandez
Rodwell
Benzema or Villa
Hamsik
:lol:

Blair

We won't sell Carrick because to sell somebody, you actually have to find somebody to buy that player.

For Berbatov we could probably find a team like Milan or Bayern who will buy him for £15m or something. We won't find an overseas interest in Carrick.
I agree. There's no chance a big European team will be looking at Carrick, and I'd be suprised if we got £10m for him from another Premier League team.

Who would even pay that for him? Everton, Spurs, Villa?

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
Why isn't this in the transfer forum?

Anyways. It is really discomforting that so many in here wants us to drop Carrick... I've always said that Carrick and Alonso where similar types of players, look what happened to Liverpool when they dropped him. Everyone has bad and good seasons, this is not Carricks finest. But don't forget, that Carrick is arguably the signing of the last decade - big words but I stand by them... He got the midfield back to what it once was. He is brilliant at positioning himself of the ball, and a brilliant playmaker. Manchester United needs his talents! Giggs and Scholes are approaching the end of their amazing careers, and it will be really good to have a playmaker of Carricks stature when they retire, selling Carrick could just as easily become the worst signing of this decade just as well as signing him last decade might have been the best signing. If someone offered us £30m for him we still should not sell..

Same thing with Berbatov, as the guy ahead of me states, we will probably not get more than perhaps £15m for Berba, and that is just stupid, because he is potentially worth a lot more than that. Rember the 1999 final against the Germans? We go out to play are usual lightning fast counter attacking game, when Bayern gets a lucky early goal, and play destructive ultra defensive football, making counterattacks impossible. Then we have to play possession football, and that is where Berbatov is best, if we get into a similar context of that in 1999, I am sure Berbatov will be a true asset. He is getting into his thirties, he has sat a lot on the bench lately and has not moaned once - that is worth a lot. Last season Berbatov was among the top assists in the Premier League, and top, this season he has scored more goals scored more than any other 2nd forward scorer until last game when Adebayor bypassed him there.. He is more effective than Bendtner, Arshavin, Anelka, Bellamy. He is more effective than anyone Aston Villa has. And that is from a goalscoring perspective, we know that Berbatov has quite a few assists as well. Compared to others, he is really not doing that bad, especially since our main formation has been 4-5-1 this season and he has been a bit of a reserve. (that is because of the quality of the midfield, not our forward lineup) Berbatov is a attacking playmaker, but when we have such a bad attacking midfield as we have right now. You won't get to see the best of Berbatov without a world class attacking midfield, something that we should have, but we don't have right now. I think Berbatov is the kind of player that can get very old and still perform, I think he has 5-6-7 good years left, and I hope he ends his career at Old Trafford - not necessarily as a first choice forward, but definably as a part of the squad.

I don't think we have to sell to much. We sold players for £86m + Tevez turned us down for £25m this summer making it a total of £111m of players dropped last summer. According to Gill, the money is there - it would be a very stupid thing to say if its not true, so lets hope it is... And it should be spent on a left winger and a attacking midfielder and apart from that I think we dropped what needed to go last summer. I think a first class left winger and attacking midfielder should be the priorities.

Sir Alex has do get one of his talents right soon, because he usually does. My money is that at least one of Diouf, Hernandez or Macheda will get a really good season next season. If Chicharito is half as effective as he was/is in Mexico - he will provide a lot for us, and what can we expect from Obertan next season?

Devil may care

I agree. There's no chance a big European team will be looking at Carrick, and I'd be suprised if we got £10m for him from another Premier League team.

Who would even pay that for him? Everton, Spurs, Villa?
If Downing can go for £12M I think Carrick can fetch £15M, not saying I'd sell him personally but I doubt he'd be as hard to sell as some think.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
If Downing can go for £12M I think Carrick can fetch £15M, not saying I'd sell him personally but I doubt he'd be as hard to sell as some think.
Left wingers are rarer than central midfielders. However I think you are right. If you offer Carrick around to clubs for £15m I am sure that plenty of clubs would sign him... However we would be the loosers in such a deal.

And based on your logic I would counter it with if Aquilani can go for £20m, Carrick should be able to go for £30m... Then again there are few managers with the stupidity of Rafa Benitez.

Moriarty

The injuries to both him and Wayne were the biggest reason for our downfall. Sadly because he is some talent, I feel SAF will listen to bids for Berba, better for both parties. All IMHO but I feel that Carrick and Foster will leave as well to try and get funds for SAF to invest,dont be blinded by the £80m David Gill nonesense, the club has no funds of their own to invest and that £80 overdraught is for show not for using
I think Fergie will stick with Berbatov for one more season and probably Carrick too. Foster needs to go elsewhere for 1st team football though. I never believed that the Ronaldo money was going to go on team-building any more that I fell for Fergie's guff about there being no value in the market. We're being squeezed by the Glazers and, to paraphrase Denis Healey, the pips are bloody well squeaking.

Crerand Legend

I think Fergie will stick with Berbatov for one more season and probably Carrick too. Foster needs to go elsewhere for 1st team football though. I never believed that the Ronaldo money was going to go on team-building any more that I fell for Fergie's guff about there being no value in the market. We're being squeezed by the Glazers and, to paraphrase Denis Healey, the pips are bloody well squeaking.
Denis Healey? you must be as old as me

Waltraute

She-Devil
That's bullshit tbf. Under the Glazers that has never been the case thus far. I can't see that starting to happen now either.
I hope you're right. I'd love to be forced to eat my words, and be standing there with egg on my face.

The way I see it, the only reason why 'under the Glazers that has never been the case thus far' is because it simply hasn't been an issue until this very season. Sir Alex is still with us, Giggs & Scholes lasting much longer than anyone could ever expect, players like Fletcher stepping up, Rooney blossoming into the player we always knew he had it in him to be...
I could go on, but my point is simply that although United have experienced three glorious seasons under the Glazers, it's not *because* of them, but *in spite* of them.

Now we're at a crossroads, where some substantial investment in the squad is needed, and we'll have to wait & see who's in the right here.

I fervently hope it's you. :)

Moriarty

I hope you're right. I'd love to be forced to eat my words, and be standing there with egg on my face.

The way I see it, the only reason why 'under the Glazers that has never been the case thus far' is because it simply hasn't been an issue until this very season. Sir Alex is still with us, Giggs & Scholes lasting much longer than anyone could ever expect, players like Fletcher stepping up, Rooney blossoming into the player we always knew he had it in him to be...
I could go on, but my point is simply that although United have experienced three glorious seasons under the Glazers, it's not *because* of them, but *in spite* of them.
You've put my thoughts into words. A very good and succinct analysis there mate.

Devil may care

Name one team who'd be mad enough to pay 15m for Carrick? Not a fecking hope.
I wouldn't be surprised if a Serie A team or two would and in this league I think Villa would pay that for him and don't Brimingham have a new sugar daddy?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Carrick won't get sold for gods sake.

That would leave us with Fletcher, Anderson, Gibson and Scholes. Scholes the player who will probably retire in summer 2011. Carricks here for the long run, he's just had a dip in form (perhaps injury related? Who knows!).

The only players treading on thin ince imo are: Berbatov, Foster and possibly Tosic.
The only player who could force a transfer: Vidic (but I don't think that will happen this season, World Cup distractions etc).

It'd be unfortunate if Tosic was sold considering he's not really had a chance, so I think he'll be given 1 more season personally.

Name Changed

weso26
I wouldn't be surprised if a Serie A team or two would and in this league I think Villa would pay that for him and don't Brimingham have a new sugar daddy?
15m is far too much. He's not worth that. We might get 10. He's not getting any younger remember, and at the time when he is in his prime he should be playing the best football of his career but he is actually playing the worst. I can't see any team playing 15m.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Carrick won't get sold for gods sake.

That would leave us with Fletcher, Anderson, Gibson and Scholes. Scholes the player who will probably retire in summer 2011. Carricks here for the long run, he's just had a dip in form (perhaps injury related? Who knows!).

The only players treading on thin ince imo are: Berbatov, Foster and possibly Tosic.
The only player who could force a transfer: Vidic (but I don't think that will happen this season, World Cup distractions etc).

It'd be unfortunate if Tosic was sold considering he's not really had a chance, so I think he'll be given 1 more season personally.
Agree with everything in this post! (although you did miss out Hargreaves)

Although I do think Scholes might choose to walk away. (choose being the key word...some numpties want rid)

I think the Carrick backlash is purely out of anger at his current form and our recent struggles. He's still a good option to have.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Regarding the Carrick backlash, I have a feeling carrick might have fallen out with fergie. At the start of the season when carrick wasn't playing, SAF told reporters, when asked, "you have to ask him that". Recently, Carrick was dropped from the team altogether after his dismal display against Bayern. There's definitely something there.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Regarding the Carrick backlash, I have a feeling carrick might have fallen out with fergie. At the start of the season when carrick wasn't playing, SAF told reporters, when asked, "you have to ask him that". Recently, Carrick was dropped from the team altogether after his dismal display against Bayern. There's definitely something there.
Yes. Something called utterly dreadful form.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Agree with everything in this post! (although you did miss out Hargreaves)

Although I do think Scholes might choose to walk away. (choose being the key word...some numpties want rid)

I think the Carrick backlash is purely out of anger at his current form and our recent struggles. He's still a good option to have.
How could I forget Hargreaves :angel::p

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
.... but my point is simply that although United have experienced three glorious seasons under the Glazers, it's not *because* of them, but *in spite* of them....
Which I disagree with. I hate them fellas. But I give credit where it's due. They've let SAF do his job as he sees fit and we've been successful. Yet people still want to claim they are ''interfering' by not handing him cash and referring to ''net spending''.

What matters is does SAF start every season having signed the players he wants. Under the Glazer's it's been the case thus far. In spite of ''net spending'' arguments and the debt being there. I fail to see why that will change. Only a dramatic worsening of our current financial situation would change the status quo. Little else.

Ringo 07

I think Carrick could be sold if we were able to land Rodwell if Fergie feels that Hargreaves will be ready next season. I am sure he would prefer to sell either Anderson or Hargreaves before selling Carrick but he might want to reduce the age of the midfield and Rodwell will more than likely be a bigger player than Carrick ever was over time! If we swapped Rodwell for Carrick then we still have a pretty decent midfield with Flecth and Hargreaves beign the first teamers and if they are out injured youve got Gibson and Anderson as back up and hopefully Rodwell too and Pogba should be pushing for a first team spot in a few years too!

Devil may care

15m is far too much. He's not worth that. We might get 10. He's not getting any younger remember, and at the time when he is in his prime he should be playing the best football of his career but he is actually playing the worst. I can't see any team playing 15m.
His age could be prohibitive but I'm not sure they view age the same in Italy. Despite his current form his record of success over the last 3 seasons would stand us in good stead with perspective buyers, not that I actually think selling him is the right move at this point.

I don't recall this, that comment was what Fergie said about Vidic after the Leeds game as well.

::sonny::

Out:
Berbatov
Tosic
De Leat (loan)
Foster

In:
Nobody, maybe some other youngster like Smalling and Chicarito