Your preference for the next Manager?

Who is your choice to replace Ferguson as manager?

• Mourinho

Votes: 211 44.8%
  • Moyes

Votes: 59 12.5%
  • Klopp

Votes: 133 28.2%
  • Ole

Votes: 26 5.5%
  • Cantona

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Benitez

Votes: 10 2.1%
  • Wenger

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Laudrup

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Pep

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Carlos Q

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Mourinho was my first choice as well because I felt he was the only manager who I knew wouldn't be overawed by Fergie's shadow. He would tell the press to stick their Fergie comparisons where the sun doesn't shine.

Unfortunately it's going to be a tedious at times next season

People pulling for Moyes has gone up by 4%pts in the same of about 12 hours or so when it looked obvious that he was the next man in.

7dan

Its getting tickly now–squeaky-bum time, I call it
Mourinho is a short term fix. That is not what we want or need. We need someone to come in, respect our traditions and keep the juggernaut that is Manchester United rolling forward. Moyes is that man.

I'm also sure Ferguson had a say in the next manager, and for some reason i think il trust Fergies decision ;)

FlawlessThaw

Mourinho is a short term fix. That is not what we want or need. We need someone to come in, respect our traditions and keep the juggernaut that is Manchester United rolling forward. Moyes is that man.
Shouldn't the quality of the manager take precidence over the longevity? In any case there is nothing to suggest that Mourinho would disrespect our traditions and falter the juggernaut that is Manchester United. Certainly more confident in his ability due to actual proof and persona than Moyes but hey ho it doesn't really matter now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

I'm also sure Ferguson had a say in the next manager, and for some reason i think il trust Fergies decision ;)
How do you know this? You don't, it's pure speculation. What we do know however is that Mourinho has called England his 2nd home ever since he was sacked by Chelsea and has been wanting to return back to England for several years. My opinion is that Mourinho would/will have stayed at United for a significant amount of time, instead I think he'll be at Chelsea for a number of years instead.

7dan

Its getting tickly now–squeaky-bum time, I call it
How do you know this? You don't, it's pure speculation. What we do know however is that Mourinho has called England his 2nd home ever since he was sacked by Chelsea and has been wanting to return back to England for several years. My opinion is that Mourinho would/will have stayed at United for a significant amount of time, instead I think he'll be at Chelsea for a number of years instead.
Thats a lovely thought but not realistic.

Anyway Moyes is in now and is the man to lead us forward

FlawlessThaw

I guess I'll have to drink the kool-aid at some point in the summer as well

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
The charge against Jose is that he would leave the club after just a couple of years. That's not an unreasonable charge in light of his past, but is it necessarily the case that he would leave United after 2-3 seasons? I don't think so.

Jose can be excused for leaving Porto to take the Chelsea job, right?
The Chelsea job went tits up almost entirely because of their fukked up owner, right? Roman wanted to manage the day to day operations and select the squad, which is completely intolerable for any manager, as we have seen since Jose left.
Jose saw the writing on Inter's wall and can be excused for bailing when he could to take a better job, right?

So far, I don't see a single case where Jose "should" have stayed on with the club.

But now we're talking about Real. I don't follow the daily palace intrigue, but it seems to me Jose has had enough, reasonably so, of a situation that has quickly devolved into a no-win scenario for him. And it's not as though Real haven't churned through managers over the last few decades. While Fergie has been at the helm at United, Real have gone through 24 -- incredible! -- managers in that time. I can't blame Jose for wanting out now.

And haven't we known that Jose desperately wants to come back to England, either to manage United or perhaps go back to Chelsea?

If we got 5-7 seasons out of Jose, which is not at all unrealistic, that should be long enough. Even the tenure of a manager like Arsene Wenger (15 years now?) is virtually unheard of in the modern game.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Mourinho is a short term fix. That is not what we want or need.
That's exactly what we want.

Someone with the capability to shine in Fergie's shadow, drag the club forward in these times of transition. The next change after 2 years for a permanent manager will be much easier.

With Moyes, there'll always be a doubt thar Fergie is pulling strings from behind. I don't want a puppet manager.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Also with Mourinho you dont know that he will only stay short term. I mean he has achieved everything he can in Italy so there is no way in hell he is going there. And if he leaves Madrid this year, there isnt a chance he is going to return to that place although thats what I thought about him when he was leaving Chelsea and it looks like I got that one wrong as well but he has always said he loves England. So I think he has this big job to do in England before maybe coaching Portugal and then retiring. So I think this would have been the perfect time to hire Mourinho. And he definitely handle the pressure of taking over a club the size of United.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Also with Mourinho you dont know that he will only stay short term. I mean he has achieved everything he can in Italy so there is no way in hell he is going there. And if he leaves Madrid this year, there isnt a chance he is going to return to that place although thats what I thought about him when he was leaving Chelsea and it looks like I got that one wrong as well but he has always said he loves England. So I think he has this big job to do in England before maybe coaching Portugal and then retiring. So I think this would have been the perfect time to hire Mourinho. And he definitely handle the pressure of taking over a club the size of United.
That's why him going to Chelsea is bad news. He'll be there for 10+ now, Roman has learnt that the grass isn't greener and will pander to Mourinho's every need.

RDCR07

If Fergie had announced his decision earlier in the season, is there a chance we could have got Pep to replace him? I mean he would have definitely been interested given how much he respects Ferguson and our club.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
If Fergie had announced his decision earlier in the season, is there a chance we could have got Pep to replace him? I mean he would have definitely been interested given how much he respects Ferguson and our club.
We've no way of knowing, all we can do is speculate.

ricky-romeo

mourinho would be my first choice. he will get us trophies. of course we know there are some things about jose such as he didn't care much about youth development or he didn't stay at one club for long, but the most important thing now is winning. there is no guarantee if we get someone who is likely to be loyal and is happy to stay for a long time, then he will deliver us success. you got to be successful to stay here for a long period. plus, like somebody said above, to stay at a club for 10 years let alone 20 years these days is a rarity.

klopp is my second choice, he has done very well at dortmund and he plays attractive football. on the plus side, he seems to be happy developing young players.

then moyes. i think he is going to get this job though. not a bad choice given what he has done with everton. but it would be interesting to see how he cope with more money to spent and players with bigger egos to manage. the upside would be he knows the premiership inside out, but the downside is of course his lack of experience in europe.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Guardiola left his dream club to take some 'time out'. For me, that sets off way more alarm bells about long-term commitment to United than anything that Mourinho has done in the past.

Brightonian

Guardiola left his dream club to take some 'time out'. For me, that sets off way more alarm bells about long-term commitment to United than anything that Mourinho has done in the past.
I still find this attitude very strange. Why are football managers held to such ridiculous standards? He's a millionaire, why does he have to stay in one - extremely stressful and demanding - job for his entire life, never taking a break? Why is wanting to use some of that massive pile of money he's earned spending time with his family a sign of weakness or lack of commitment? Strikes me as a sign of a sensible, balanced individual.

Jonno

I want Moyes. For me he is the only man in the world that could replace Fergie the way the board and a lot of fans want. Do we want 5 smash and grab years with Mourinho? Or do we want 10-15-20 years of Moyes? If we were Chelsea, City or Liverpool we would be doing everything we could to get Mourinho right now. As we are Manchester United we have a different philosophy and different view on the management, and that's why they are going for Moyes.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I still find this attitude very strange. Why are football managers held to such ridiculous standards? He's a millionaire, why does he have to stay in one - extremely stressful and demanding - job for his entire life, never taking a break? Why is wanting to use some of that massive pile of money he's earned spending time with his family a sign of weakness or lack of commitment? Strikes me as a sign of a sensible, balanced individual.
I agree. I'm just surprised that people use that as a stick to beat Mourinho with, but it never gets mentioned with Guardiola.

Castia

Im sick of reading shit like this. 'Short term fix' will be at least 4 years, that's football. What SAF has done will never be done again, don't get a clearly inferior manager just because he's going to stick around for longer, 4 years in football is a lifetime, what Mourinho could achieve in that time Moyes may never achieve in 20 years of premier league management.

Im sick of hearing about Moyes being ideal for the job just because he's been at Everton for 12 years it's stupid. One of the main reasons he's stayed there is because the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Man City didn't see him good enough to take a bigger job on yet for some reason he's our number one choice.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Sensible, balanced individuals don't tend to be among the great, great football men.

If Fergie had felt the pressure and sacked it off for a year to play with his kids, he wouldn't have built United back into a decade-bestriding colossus.

I'm not judging Guardiola as a person. Personally If you gave me the job I'd be found hiding under my desk in the foetal position on day 1. But if he wants to be judged alongside the greats (maybe he doesn't), he has to be a bit off the scale of normality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Im sick of reading shit like this. 'Short term fix' will be at least 4 years, that's football. What SAF has done will never be done again, don't get a clearly inferior manager just because he's going to stick around for longer, 4 years in football is a lifetime, what Mourinho could achieve in that time Moyes may never achieve in 20 years of premier league management.

Im sick of hearing about Moyes being ideal for the job just because he's been at Everton for 12 years it's stupid. One of the main reasons he's stayed there is because the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Man City didn't see him good enough to take a bigger job on yet for some reason he's our number one choice.
Agree with this totally. if a "short term fix" is 4-5 years of success, I think we'd take that somehow!
Better than an unsure period of not knowing under Moyes. Mourinho wins everywhere he goes, that's no accident.

Ludens the Red

He was there for a measly four years...... At his 'dream club'. And there are professions out there where you're required to work far more and be away from your family for far longer.

Dominos

I want Moyes. For me he is the only man in the world that could replace Fergie the way the board and a lot of fans want. Do we want 5 smash and grab years with Mourinho? Or do we want 10-15-20 years of Moyes? If we were Chelsea, City or Liverpool we would be doing everything we could to get Mourinho right now. As we are Manchester United we have a different philosophy and different view on the management, and that's why they are going for Moyes.
Me personally? The former... No idea what smash and grab years means in this context mind, I'm assuming lucrative success...

RDCR07

Thats awfully optimistic. Do you know something none of us do?

solvista

Shawshank redemption
So, can we get a list of all those who voted Moyes and tell them what superstars they are? Then ban all the others who didn't vote for him.